PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar wth Jelco damping fluid?

hal55
27-07-2012, 01:29
I need damping fluid for a London Decca International tonearm. It has a central well in the arm pillar and came with a small satchell of oil that was to be poured down the pillar to provide tonearm damping. Unfortunately the satchell ruptured in the many decades the arm was in storage and the oil, what remains of it, is unuseable.
Steve Crawley has suggested Jelco oil as they're tonearms use the same central pillar damping method. The instructions for the Decca said the oil was very thick and might need overnight to seep down the pillar to the correct position. Does the Jelco oil sound about the same thickness? I'm a bit paranoid about this since, once the oil is in, I'll never get it out again.

Thanks,

Hal55

NRG
27-07-2012, 06:25
Dont know about the Jelco oil but lots of arms that have 'silicon damping' arm lifts use something like 300,000 cst oil....very thick, almost like Jam...

The Grand Wazoo
27-07-2012, 06:39
I messed about with silicon damping fluid & learnt some stuff along the way. I've made some notes about it here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3462&page=13) (post 127 >).
The main thing I learnt is you don't have to pay hi-fi prices!

camtwister
27-07-2012, 10:47
I too use model racing car suppliers for silicone damping oil.
The oil used in my arm lifts is rated at 300,000 centiStokes. At this viscosity, the oil will take several hours to flow along small apertures, much as described in your instructions, Hal.
The Jelco arm damping fluid is considerably less viscous than this, if that helps you make a decision, but more viscous than bearing oil, for example.