PDA

View Full Version : New tonearm

26-07-2012, 11:14
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7649202614_7396c0c0dd.jpg

New arm arrives - as does new member - greetings!

YNWaN
26-07-2012, 11:21
Looks a lot nicer in the black and brushed silver finish that you have chosen than the polished silver and gold I have seen others in :).

26-07-2012, 11:26
Looks a lot nicer in the black and brushed silver finish that you have chosen than the polished silver and gold I have seen others in :).

Yeah cheers, I felt it looked classier than the gold-bling effect.

Looks aside i am very impressed with it. For me - i need 3 boxes ticking to make it a "go".

1. Sound quality
2. Engineering depth
3. Visually appealing

This all adds up to pride of ownership and a feel-good-factor that you spent your money wisely.

I went from Rega/Roksan arms through SME (up to a V), Ikeda and a Graham Phantom - the Thales represents a long journey and I am very happy with my decision.

For those interested, it has a custom made arm board and the Thales RCA junction box bolted to it - the arm cable goes from tags to RCA outs. It is completed by silver RCA Tron cable to a Tron Seven phono stage.

The Decemberists have never sounded so good :)

Marco
26-07-2012, 12:13
Hi Eel (unusal name, where's that from)? Welcome to AoS :)

Gorgeous looking turntable and arm, however for those of us not 'in the know', what are they exactly, and also what's the cartridge?

Your whole system sounds interesting, so it would nice to show us what that looks like, too!

Marco.

26-07-2012, 12:26
Hi Eel (unusal name, where's that from)? Welcome to AoS :)

Gorgeous looking turntable and arm, however for those of us not 'in the know', what are they exactly, and also what's the cartridge?

Your whole system sounds interesting, so it would nice to show us what that looks like, too!

Marco.

Hi Marco - sorry eel = Lee. Obvious long standing joke.
Nice to meet you - seems there's many a PFM'er on here?!

The turntable is a TW Acustics Raven AC - I was one of the first to buy this - 5 or 6 years ago. Still blown away by it now. The arm is a Thales Simplicity, the cart an Ortofon A90. It all goes via Tron silver wire into a Tron Seven phono amp, sitting on Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack.

More pix and details of the rest of the system to follow i guess?

TTFN - Lee

YNWaN
26-07-2012, 12:44
Hmm..very nicely made - Thomas' decks were good value when they were introduced to the UK; the intervening exchange rate has not been generous however.

Did you buy everything from GT Audio then - Avantgarde speakers?

chris@panteg
26-07-2012, 12:49
It looks great ! Should I ask ' how much ' it looks out of my league lol

26-07-2012, 12:53
Hmm..very nicely made - Thomas' decks were good value when they were introduced to the UK; the intervening exchange rate has not been generous however.

Did you buy everything from GT Audio then - Avantgarde speakers?

Yeah it all came from Graham / GT.

I will have Avantgardes one day - mainly when space allows. I live in quite a compact split level appt. I dont have room for big speakers so AG's are a no go. I have heard them many times though and when time, space, money allows, Duo Omega's will be mine!

26-07-2012, 13:12

Don't even go there Chris........ a lot more than i care to tot up - but a lot less than other systems i have heard that have left me cold.

I always buy with quality in mind for longer term satisfaction - I have owned TT, CDP, AMP, Speakers, etc etc all over 5 years or more. Quality........

John Ruskin summed it up nicely, "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".

YNWaN
26-07-2012, 13:13
You may something else before then - Avantgarde's aren't really for me.

Price is of the 'if you have to ask' type;a technically clever design though.

Marco
26-07-2012, 13:19
John Ruskin summed it up nicely, "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten".

Ha - I like that and totally agree! :clap:

Marco.

26-07-2012, 13:27
Price is of the 'if you have to ask' type;a technically clever design though.

Price - yes it's costly. But expensive and satisfying (sonically, visually and engineering) has to be better than not-quite-as-expensive but unsatisfying?

The design is clever and works - amazing to watch and to hear, it tracks properly right across the record. The best bits of a linear tracker without the pumps, etc.

For those who don't know much about Thales - read here:

http://www.tonarm.ch/index.php?page=simplicity

daytona600
27-07-2012, 15:12
like avantegardes myself but same problem there just to big for my flat & bit pricey
can,t wait for my new mini full range horns to arrive with active bass
should be here in about 6weeks

RobbieGong
27-07-2012, 15:20
Very very nice Lee, Bet it sounds amazing with the A90 on board ( A cart for dreamers like me :) )

27-07-2012, 18:52
can,t wait for my new mini full range horns to arrive with active bass should be here in about 6weeks

Oooh and what might these be?! I have seen something like this promoted heavily by someone on forums - called BD Audio i think? He seems to be combining being a contributor but really promoting his own goods?!

27-07-2012, 18:53
Very very nice Lee, Bet it sounds amazing with the A90 on board ( A cart for dreamers like me :) )

Cheers - the A90 is very special. I have had so may carts incl stone body Koetsu's, Miyabi, XV1s, etc etc - the A90 is probably (for me) the one i like the most - but it is not for everyone - it is very ruthless and revealing.

Barry
28-07-2012, 01:13
An interesting arm design. Not unique, Garrard did much the same with their 'Zero 100' arm some forty years ago, which like yours, was based on the even earlier Burne-Jones 'pantograph' geometry.

Having recently spent some time looking at the deviation from tangential tracking by pivoted tonearms, an angular error of +/- 0.008 degree is impressive (compared with a typical angular error of 2 degree of most 9" tonearms, at the outermost edge of a 12" LP). However I wonder if this comes at a cost of rigidity: the cartridge has to have movable, pivoted (and thus non-rigid) coupling to the two arms of the pantograph.

jason
28-07-2012, 09:29
Nice bit of kit Lee...

Jason

Theo
28-07-2012, 11:23
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7649202614_7396c0c0dd.jpg

New arm arrives - as does new member - greetings!

I LOVE the idea of that arm! Would like to try one on my L-07D...

28-07-2012, 15:17
An interesting arm design. Not unique, Garrard did much the same with their 'Zero 100' arm some forty years ago, which like yours, was based on the even earlier Burne-Jones 'pantograph' geometry.

Having recently spent some time looking at the deviation from tangential tracking by pivoted tonearms, an angular error of +/- 0.008 degree is impressive (compared with a typical angular error of 2 degree of most 9" tonearms, at the outermost edge of a 12" LP). However I wonder if this comes at a cost of rigidity: the cartridge has to have movable, pivoted (and thus non-rigid) coupling to the two arms of the pantograph.

Yes i'm aware of the history - perhaps not unique in design ethos, but unique in terms of accuracy, quality of engineering and on sale!

It works - and having done A/B dems with conventional arms, it became very clear that I had to go this route - obv a very expensive decision, but once heard, there was no going back.

Barry
28-07-2012, 21:57
Yes i'm aware of the history - perhaps not unique in design ethos, but unique in terms of accuracy, quality of engineering and on sale!

It works - and having done A/B dems with conventional arms, it became very clear that I had to go this route - obv a very expensive decision, but once heard, there was no going back.

The build quality is vastly superior to that of the Garrard Zero 100 arm! (And looks better.)

YNWaN
28-07-2012, 23:04

Yes, I too have looked at the comparative geometry issues. However, as you suggest, there's no free lunch.

29-07-2012, 08:16
Yes, I too have looked at the comparative geometry issues. However, as you suggest, there's no free lunch.

Yeah it's an expensive lunch - but it is very tasty!

sq225917
29-07-2012, 09:40
Any chance of a shot of the business end of the arm, I understand how it works but without seeing the bearing pillar side of things I can't close that mental loop required to file it away in my brain. Cheers.

YNWaN
29-07-2012, 10:05
He seems to be combining being a contributor but really promoting his own goods?!

Yes, there's a lot of that sort of thing on the various forums, from dealers. distributors and their friends.