PDA

View Full Version : New Sub-Forum for Beresford Products

MartinT
25-07-2012, 10:18
Stan's DACs and other products are very popular with members here, so we've created a new sub-forum called Beresford Babble (provisional name) for all things Beresford. I will start moving threads there later on today, so please be patient.

If you want to propose another name, please reply here!

webby
25-07-2012, 18:49
Beresford Banter

Marco
25-07-2012, 22:17
I think that Banter is better than Babble, so let's try that, shall we? :)

Marco.

webby
26-07-2012, 09:19
:) my wee little contribution to AOS

DaveK
26-07-2012, 09:30
I'm a big fan of Stan's products and probably own more than most so no disrespect here but is this such a good idea? IMHO it may not be :) .
Obviously I defer to Stan on this one but is it not likely to draw 'flack' from non-AoS members and Beresford 'knockers'. Does it not risk tying the two totally distinct and seperate items too closely together in the minds of the the above groups and those who come across either for the first time?
Obviously if Stan is happy then I am also :) .
It's different with the Techie forum IMO as the product is no longer being produced.
Dave.

Marco
26-07-2012, 10:56
Hi Dave,

Obviously if Stan is happy then I am also...

Stan's been asked and is happy, however that doesn't mean that the point you're making isn't still valid or shouldn't be debated.

My view is that what's been done is liable to have the opposite effect to what you're suggesting, as separating discussions on the Beresford from the rest, on Digital Expressions, will thus allow fans of the Beresford, who seek quick access to relevant discussions, and those who wish to completely avoid such topics, the platform to do so, and therefore in the process, will remove the Beresford 'fanboy' element (not my words, but those of detractors elsewhere) from the main digital discussion area.

Let's face it, AoS will always be heavily associated with the Beresford DAC and the Techie (which incidentally I think is a positive thing, as both products offer superb SPPV and are extremely popular worldwide), so we're simply embracing that fact and facilitating it accordingly, in the most efficient and user-friendly way possible :)

If the Beresford detractors you're referring to don't like that, then as far as I'm concerned, they can go f*ck themselves ;)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2012, 20:01
The presence on AoS of so much info about both products attracts a significant number of new members Dave and to put it all in its own dedicated place makes sense - scratching around in the backwaters of a forum can be quite frustrating sometimes esp. if you're new to it.
However, I think there is a risk that an opportunity for potentially valuable input to discussions from those of the other persuasion (oo-er missus!) could be missed by keeping this stuff ring-fenced.

DaveK
26-07-2012, 20:25
The presence on AoS of so much info about both products attracts a significant number of new members Dave

However, I think there is a risk that an opportunity for potentially valuable input to discussions from those of the other persuasion (oo-er missus!) could be missed by keeping this stuff ring-fenced.

Hi Chris,
I don't doubt your first sentence for one moment, I'm sure that the two aspects (AoS and Techie) can draw interest in both from readers who may only be interested in one. But what no one will ever know is how many readers with an interest in one will be put off from looking further into their interest in one because of their animosity towards the other.
You may well be referring to that aspect in the latter paragraph of your post so please forgive me if I'm just repeating the message :). As I said earlier, if Stan's happy, I'm happy, and Stan is happy so 'end of' as far as my concerns go.
Dave.

Marco
26-07-2012, 21:25
But what no one will ever know is how many readers with an interest in one will be put off from looking further into their interest in one because of their animosity towards the other.

I don't think any of us could attempt to second-guess that, and nor should we even try.

All we can do is embrace the fact that both topics are a major part of AoS, and also partly what has made it so successful to date. Therefore, all we've done is facilitated the discussion of both topics in the most efficient way that we can.

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
26-07-2012, 23:02
But what no one will ever know is how many readers with an interest in one will be put off from looking further into their interest in one because of their animosity towards the other.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't let the fact that I don't own a Squeezebox product (to pick a random example) prevent me from reading about them, nor do I allow my clumsiness with a soldering iron to prevent me from reading about how others perform wonders with one.

Marco
26-07-2012, 23:22
Indeed. It never ceases to amaze me how fickle and easily put off things some other people are... :rolleyes:

It's very simple: read and/or respond to what interests you, and ignore the rest!

Marco.

DaveK
27-07-2012, 09:05
I can only speak for myself, but I don't let the fact that I don't own a Squeezebox product (to pick a random example) prevent me from reading about them, nor do I allow my clumsiness with a soldering iron to prevent me from reading about how others perform wonders with one.

Chris,
Not everyone is as open minded as you but, there again, perhaps the forum is better off without those who are so readily persuaded to 'switch off'. My question was more concerned about any of Stan's potential customers who might be so readily persuaded to 'switch off'.
Let's just leave it here, eh? I don't think either of us are going to see exactly 'eye to eye' on this, not an argument, just a difference in perspective :) .
Dave.

Marco
27-07-2012, 09:39
My question was more concerned about any of Stan's potential customers who might be so readily persuaded to 'switch off'.

Dave, I think you'll find that the majority of people interested in Stan's DACs couldn't give two hoots for the subject of modifying Technics turntables.

Those guys tend to be much more interested in digital audio and streaming, therefore they should be perfectly happy sticking to the section covering their own specific area of interest and worrying not about what's happening in another unrelated part of the forum.

IMO, you're over-thinking what is, most likely, a non-issue.

Marco.

Beechwoods
08-08-2012, 17:33
Any keen Beresford interested Googling guests stumbling across a thread now moved to Beresford Banter will now find all other related threads in the same place for easy reference. I'd call that a result.