PDA

View Full Version : High Quality Live Rock Recording ?

Togil
26-01-2009, 08:05
Does anyone know of a live rock music recording on CD which is of audiophile quality, ie no dynamic limiting applied ?
If such a thing exists and is from the analogue era it would be interesting to compare to the LP as these always had to be limited by the cutting engineer.

John
26-01-2009, 08:42
I think generally the best way to get good live recorded via high quality bootleg Lps some are also availble on CD, but no grantees with sound quality as for CD recordings they are plenty of good live recordings but audiophile quality its quite hard to find
If you into jazz most of the live recordings tend to be really good quality
If you wish I have alot of really goo live fusion CDs I can list just let me know if you are interested

John
26-01-2009, 09:03
A couple of live rock recordings that sound good on cd
Franl Zappa Live at the Roxy
Joe Bonamassa Live From Nowhere in Particuliar

aquapiranha
26-01-2009, 09:06
Frampton? I have a freind who says the vinyl is good quality, maybe the Cd is too?

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/123739/Comes-Alive/Product.html

Yiangos
26-01-2009, 09:55
Asking for a live rock recording on cd of audiophile quality is like looking for a hen with teeth ! rotfl Okay,seriously now,on lp,perhaps you could find a few but on cd,only one springs to mind and that is "Hell Freezes over" by the "Eagles".Do get the XRCD version if you can.

jimdgoulding
07-02-2009, 14:43
Five Live by Robin Lane and The Chartbusters (Warner Bros). Whoops. Never made it to CD (just checked). OK, then, Bless Its Pointed Little Head- Jefferson Airplane (RCA).

Stratmangler
07-02-2009, 21:47
Any of the Opus 3 label releases by Eric Bibb - yeah, OK, it ain't rock music, but it is live and definitely no overdubs - each song is a complete performance with no studio trickery.

The only thing missing is the audience, 'cos it's all been done in the studio !

Chris:)

Ali Tait
08-02-2009, 08:36
Second the Eric Bibb thing,they are superb recordings.You could even call the studio albums "Live" as they are recorded in one take with no overdubbing etc.All valve equipment used too,from valve mic to valve mixer.

Togil
08-02-2009, 08:45
Does anyone know if the re-master of the Woodstock CD is any better than the original ?

Beechwoods
08-02-2009, 09:32
I don't know the answer to that one, Hans, but the Atlantic reel to reel release sounds fantastic despite being triple-play length and 3¾ ips.

Stratmangler
08-02-2009, 10:42
Does anyone know if the re-master of the Woodstock CD is any better than the original ?

Probably not - chances are it is another victim of the mastering loudness wars !

Chris:(

Togil
08-02-2009, 12:11
I don't know the answer to that one, Hans, but the Atlantic reel to reel release sounds fantastic despite being triple-play length and 3¾ ips.

Was there ever any commercially available 7.5 ips music ? In the 60s we could buy some American tapes in Germany but it was all 3.75 ips ( 9.5 cm/s)

Beechwoods
08-02-2009, 15:18
In my experience most commercial releases on reel to reel were 7½ ips through until 1968, when more releases started coming out at the 3¾ ips speed. Some releases still came out at 7½ but these seem to have quickly become the exception rather than the rule as the decade turned.

I popped some thoughts about factory made reels here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1929) a while back, which may be of interest!

The Grand Wazoo
08-02-2009, 15:57
Try having a listen to Stage by David Bowie

I read in Tony Visconti's book that it is 100% live with no overdubbing etc.
The only messing about is one edit where there were two performances from consecutive nights patched together on Station to Station.

I don't know what it's like on CD but the vinyl is extraordinary.
The begining of Station to Station has a steam train sound on it, leading into Adrian Belew's guitar intro. When I was a teenager, a friend of mine used to play that at full whack on his Dad's hifi (who was also our headmaster) after school. The whole (16th century half timbered) house would shake.

Dynamics or what!!