PDA

View Full Version : Scam or genuine?

DaveK
23-07-2012, 19:20
Hi Guys,
To answer my own question, I strongly suspect a scam.
Whilst I was 'unavailable' my wife took a call from someone calling himself Patrick and supposedly calling from Microsoft Security Centre who wanted to speak to the "main computer user". Because I was not available she took a message which basically was that they had identified a Windows firewall problem on my PC and they asked that I ring them back on 0208 144 0217.
This I did - the phone rang for quite a while before someone with an accent I would guess at as originating on the sub-continent answered it with "Hello." (No identification as Microsoft).
I explained why I was ringing and he began the 'spiel' about they had identified my PC as having a Windows firewall problem which could leave my PC open to malicious attack and loss of confidential data and could I get myself in front of my PC 'now'.
I told him that I had a very knowledgeable friend who looked after things like that for me, that I'd make him aware of the 'problem (not true :) ) and put the phone down on him.
I was a bit surprised that they gave me a phone no. to ring but other than that I think they were trying a scam so I thought I'd make you aware of it and the phone no. involved.
Any thoughts?
Dave.

The Grand Wazoo
23-07-2012, 19:25
Sounds like this one (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11304) Dave

YNWaN
23-07-2012, 19:28
Thiis ia widely known scam

Clive
23-07-2012, 19:37
100% this is a scam, they'll gain access to your computer then........

I tell them I work for one of the world's, largest computer companies (i do), they hang up at that point.

Puffin
23-07-2012, 19:59
Good evening Madaaam,

My name is George and I am calling from your bank. I just need your account number and sort code so that I can transfer 2 Million Ugandan Shillings.......Madaaam...you will receive £84.26p:lol:

Ali Tait
23-07-2012, 21:41
Yep, they are trying to take the piss Dave, give a wide berth.

Tim
23-07-2012, 22:47
Or you could have a laugh and string them along like Rory Cellen-Jones does. Then right at the end tell them you have a MAC :eyebrows:

keiths
24-07-2012, 00:33
Or you could have a laugh and string them along like Rory Cellen-Jones does. Then right at the end tell them you have a MAC :eyebrows:

Done that - though in my case the punchline was Linux. Got a lot of
Semi-English abuse.

realysm42
24-07-2012, 09:21
Microsoft (or any big company) would never call you to tell you about issues of this nature; that's what their software is designed to do.

Also, any (big) company that is going to call you would have strict protocol in how they would communicate with you, it doesn't sound like that's the case here. If you're really unsure, you could always ask them to provide proper ID, I'm sure they'd squirm then lol.

chris@panteg
26-07-2012, 09:43
Hi Guys,
To answer my own question, I strongly suspect a scam.
Whilst I was 'unavailable' my wife took a call from someone calling himself Patrick and supposedly calling from Microsoft Security Centre who wanted to speak to the "main computer user". Because I was not available she took a message which basically was that they had identified a Windows firewall problem on my PC and they asked that I ring them back on 0208 144 0217.
This I did - the phone rang for quite a while before someone with an accent I would guess at as originating on the sub-continent answered it with "Hello." (No identification as Microsoft).
I explained why I was ringing and he began the 'spiel' about they had identified my PC as having a Windows firewall problem which could leave my PC open to malicious attack and loss of confidential data and could I get myself in front of my PC 'now'.
I told him that I had a very knowledgeable friend who looked after things like that for me, that I'd make him aware of the 'problem (not true :) ) and put the phone down on him.
I was a bit surprised that they gave me a phone no. to ring but other than that I think they were trying a scam so I thought I'd make you aware of it and the phone no. involved.
Any thoughts?
Dave.

I had the same phone call ! It was back in May I think ? I gave him a right going over :eyebrows: he gave up very abruptly ! Its a scam for sure .

MartinT
26-07-2012, 09:52
Scam. Just ask them what your IP address is and listen to them wriggle out of a direct answer for minutes at a time. Loads of fun until you finish with telling them to remove your number and never call again. Worked for me.

Tim
26-07-2012, 11:42
I must admit since I heard of this scam sometime ago, I have been waiting and looking forward to getting a call, but alas so far it has never come :(
I really want to have some fun with these scallywags :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
26-07-2012, 12:43
I must admit since I heard of this scam sometime ago, I have been waiting and looking forward to getting a call, but alas so far it has never come :(
I really want to have some fun with these scallywags :eyebrows:

Oh it was fun all right , I got the guy so rattled and in a corner , I think he was a little scared :D

DSJR
26-07-2012, 21:10
I wish I was clever enough, but instead, I told them I didn't have a computer. After a dozen or so phone calls all telling me the same thing about my computer (where do they get ex-directory numbers from and which of my old computers are they talking about?), I just got fed up.....

archiesdad
03-08-2012, 19:28
I got one of these calls, strung them along for a while and eventually the very helpful guy on the other end was upset when he could not see anything at his end, he asked had I done all he'd asked, I replied " will it make a difference if I turn the computer on?" to which he suggested I "fuck off-fuck off-fuck-off" and he then hung up, I had a some time time that day and managed a wee giggle.