PDA

View Full Version : Audio Technica ATP-2

kininigin
22-07-2012, 14:40
I have been on the look out,for carts,that have been designed for,or used in, professional broadcast studios,ever since i got the Shure SC35C and the Goldring G800.

When i joined this forum i noticed that marco,had a bit of a thing for these type carts and after hearing what a couple of them can do,i have been keen to explore this path as well.

Anyway reading through a random forum,i forget the name,i noticed someone mention the Audio Technica ATP-1 as being designed for the pro broadcast application.

So off i went on a search.There are 3 models in the range,the ATP-1,ATP-2 and ATP-3.The only difference appears only to be the stylus shape.The ATP-1 being spherical,the ATP-2 elliptical and the ATP-3 being a nude elliptical design.I'm not sure if they are interchangeble though!

I have managed to bag myself an ATP-2.I have found a pdf http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=Audio+Technica+ATP-1&source=web&cd=19&ved=0CGMQFjAIOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.markoparts.com%2Fenter%2Fdata %2FATP.pdf&ei=QQoMUKXyDuW10QXcmuDaCg&usg=AFQjCNF1XakwWzAgDZTNLMZAUUAoz0z4SA&cad=rja of the user manual,in which it says,that it use's a duel magnet design which intrigrued me.

As soon as i get the cart,i'll let you know what it is like.It seems to be designed under the same needs as the SC35C,so i'm hoping it will be in the same sort of league or indeed better than that!!

Here's a link to some pics http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150847461567?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Oh yeah,forgot to ask,does anyone have any experience with this cart? What can i expect?

DSJR
22-07-2012, 17:00
The one you're getting should be a bit like an AT95E with possibly even lower compliance. These designs are moving magnet types with two tiny magnet poles arranged in a "V" shape at the rear of the cantilever. The whole is pulled onto the suspension and locked in place on the outer plastic mount.

As with all of these, the sound should be strong and "raw," maybe lacking the ultimate in fine tracking and details, but with a huge heart musically nonetheless, if you see what I mean.

Good luck :)

kininigin
22-07-2012, 20:47
What i'm wondering is,are the 'vintage' ATP's (late 70's) of a different breed than the more 'modern' ATP's,which get bundled for free with a usb deck made by Audio Technica?

The 'vintage' ones being hand assembled apparently,i cannot see the 'modern' versions being hand assembled!

I'm interested in seeing,if like the Shure SC35C,the quality of parts has dropped as a cost cutting option.I'm also wondering if like the G800 and the SC35C,that the ATP also needs a high mass tonearm to get it to sing as it was designed with broadcasting equipment in mind and i'm guessing tonearms were of the high mass variety in most broadcast studios?

Maybe someone can correct me if i'm wrong about the broadcast arms used.

misterharrison
26-07-2012, 16:47
There is an updated version, the ATP-2XN, which is designed for DJ use and is well-regarded among older DJs who value a warm, punchy sound.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-TECHNICA-ATP-2XN-Professional-DJ-Dual-Magnet-Phono-Cartridge-/280890545559

kininigin
26-07-2012, 20:10
To be honest,thats the one i've been trying to avoid!!

I'm more interested in the original ATP that was made in the late 70's

I have no idea what to expect when i get it,but i thought it was worth taking a punt!

DSJR
26-07-2012, 20:23
Audio Technica have used automated construction for decades now and this will actually improve consistency I feel. The pics I've seen show gold plated connectors on the back, so maybe the innards have the PCOCC copper wire as used in the AT110E and so on. The diamond quality, shaping and polish has also improved a huge amount in recent years and, if you look in the old 'Choice mags, you may just find the samples could vary alarmingly back then.

I do appreciate you wanting an original, but once you've found a good one, it wouldn't hurt to try a new one as well. Shures are a different matter, because they're not built in a country with the ethics of the Japanese, if you see what I mean.

kininigin
26-07-2012, 20:47
The only reason i'm trying it,is because it seems to have been designed,with the same principles,as the SC35C,and so was maybe the japenese answer to that?
I don't really know.In the case of the SC35C,we know the quality of it dropped when they moved manufacturing plants,from the US,to mexico.I don't know if the plant that makes the AT carts,has been the same one,or if they have changed anything in the parts,or quality of parts,since the late 70's till now?

Depending on what i think of the one i get,i may get a modern one for comparison.

DSJR
26-07-2012, 20:53
The Japanese are generally not sloppy by nature and they usually go for improvements rather than delerately sloppy production methods. It would be interesting to find out what has changed in the SC35 series, since it can't "just" be the way it's made...

kininigin
07-08-2012, 10:46
The ATP-2 has arrived just need to go pick it up.Lets see if it can compete with the SC35C or G800.

Beobloke
07-08-2012, 11:53
Unfortunately the AudioTechnica AT-LP120USB turntable which was reviewed by David Price came with this cartridge and I had a chance to listen to it before it went to him.

Let's just say that an AT95E wiped the floor with it!

DSJR
07-08-2012, 13:07
Any chance of a review of the HE stylus for the AT95E available in the US mail order? It's not that expensive and there's thousands of AT95E bodies out there...

Beobloke
07-08-2012, 13:25
Hmm, certainly worth looking at, although I'm not sure how it would stack up in the sound per pound improvement ratio.

DSJR
07-08-2012, 13:37
It's around £60 isn't it?

http://www.lpgear.com/product/LPGATN95HE.html

Mind you, import duty etc may lift the price too high, but even then, a comparison with a 2M Red would be very interesting I think...

kininigin
07-08-2012, 14:27
Unfortunately the AudioTechnica AT-LP120USB turntable which was reviewed by David Price came with this cartridge and I had a chance to listen to it before it went to him.

Let's just say that an AT95E wiped the floor with it!

Yes but was that an ATP-2XN which is modern,or a ATP-2 from the 70's?

I realise that the latter maybe worse than the modern one,but it's been shown before that,vintage items coupled with modern equipment can have good results.

Alot of people dismissed the Goldring G800,(from what i can gather) until it was used in the right setup,which i have now heard and it sounds fantastic.

I'm just wondering if a vintage ATP would benefit from the same sort of approche?

I'll have to wait a little longer,as the poxy post office was closed when i got there :doh:

kininigin
10-08-2012, 17:10
Well finally got the cart,very early days,but so far i think i'm on to a winner :eyebrows:

kininigin
11-08-2012, 13:06
Ok,so i have now had a good few hours of listening now,and i must admit i'm impressed by what i've heard so far.

I am using a jelco 12grm headshell,with a 5p pence added (temporary for now)
and set vtf at 3.5g.

Compared to the SC35C,the ATP-2 has a more open and detailed sound,but not in a agressive forward way.

Instruments have more air around them and the highs are more incisive and extended but still manage to sound smooth and delicate when needed.

The bass is probably not as tight as the SC35C,but it goes just as deep,to my ears at least.It has rock solid imaging and lays out a great soundstage.It also has a nice punchy sound to it,but not to the point of being distracting,if you know what i mean.

It tracks extremly well.A problem record for me is 4 hero's Two Pages album,which can be extremly sibilant with thre wrong cart,but the ATP-2 sails through it like it was nothing.

To me,the SC35C is the best cart i've heard (not quite got the G800 singing properly yet,so will leave that out for now!!) so would i swap the ATP-2 with it?
I don't think i'd lose much sleep if i did,but still need to do alot more listening though.

I'm not sure of the exact cart adam (beobloke) used and in what context,but if the AT95E wiped the floor with the ATP then it must be something special indeed.

DSJR
11-08-2012, 14:42
The AT95E may well have wiped the floor with the NEW ATP2, so now we need to see if there's a difference between old and new.

kininigin
11-08-2012, 15:44
Yes,i would like to know this as well.I'm not going to buy a new one though,just to find out.If i can get one for maybe £20 then i probably will.

Maybe adam can give us a quick over view of what he heard and in what system,so we can narrow down what's going on.To me this cart sounds very good!!

Ahh almost forgot to add some pics.I'm on the case now!!

kininigin
11-08-2012, 16:19
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/kininigin/P1010231.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/kininigin/P1010230.jpg

kininigin
15-08-2012, 13:23
Loving this cart atm,not even thought about putting the SC35C back yet!!

I wouldn't use the ATP in a bright system though,as it would likely sound too forward and it doesn't really like poor recordings and is sensetive to static.

But in a neutral,or just to the warm side of neutral system,with a good recording,it sounds very good,imo.

Like the SC35C,i would say it's more biased to the dance/rock spectrum but can still do more than a job with jazz or acoustic.

This is definitely staying in the collection :eyebrows: