PDA

View Full Version : Hi All..

alfie2902
19-01-2009, 21:18
whooops only just noticed the welcome Thread!
Made a couple of posts in the Private Exhibitions section hope this wasn't to rude!?

Anyways a bit about alfie;
I've been into HiFi for 25years or so, after playing my old AC/DC albums on my friends farthers LP12 in to a pile of Naim gear & was just blown away!!

Ive had plenty of kit over the years but nothing high end really, still got quite abit of it kicking around. But mainly use PC as sorce now into some AVI ADM9's (they are a great bit of kit but i wont be preaching their virtues)& my old Rel sub.

I've got some entry level Naim gear into some PMC's used to be my main system but seems to be redundant now since looking into the PC route & getting the ADM9's!

A few weeks ago though i got my old turntable out of the loft where its been in storage for 10-12 years. One of my first HiFi buys over 20 years ago.
I've had a fettle with it, new drive belt (yes belt drive!), new bearing oil. checked & set up suspension & got my self a Denon DL-103(basic one for now). Also picked up a Pro-ject Phono box SE for £30 off fleabay(basic i know but a good start for little money). Oddly though also sounds better IMO through the ADM9's than the Nait 5i & GB1's.

Then dicovered this place googling SUT's.
& thats me!!:ner:

Beechwoods
20-01-2009, 06:50
Welcome Alfie! It's nice to get to know our new members so thanks for coming to the Welcome forum :) What turntable ya got then? Hope you enjoy being a part of what makes AOS great!

alfie2902
20-01-2009, 15:18
Hi Nick,

The turntables a Systemdek III one of the early ones with the Nextel Suede Coating Finish. It's fitted with a Fidelity Research FR64s (silver wired) tonearm but i've no longer got the s/3 headshell:scratch: which is a shame.:( I've got 2 other FR headshells but there the lighter ones that you normally see on the 64fx.

Although the turntables pretty good (gave the early LP12's a good run for the money at the time) i think the tonearm deserves better. So will upgrade when funds permit. Maybe a Nottingham or a TW not sure though we'll see! One of the better 103's maybe too!:smoking:

But first i probably should get some sort of vinyl cleaning machine.
I Handclean my records before & after playing them but does anyone know how often you should wet clean them? Funny question i know, but a HiFi shop not to far from me hires out the VPI machine for £50 per weekend seems a reasonable deal as as i've not spun most of mine for over 10 years!:doh:

Filterlab
23-01-2009, 18:31
Welcome to The Art of Sound! :)