PDA

View Full Version : 'The Rossendale' Floorstander Speaker

Toppsy
19-07-2012, 11:36
These are my latest speakers ‘The Rossendales’. They are a smaller version developed from my Edingdale speakers thread that Ali started over in The Drawing Board D.I.Y. Project s forum pages. As building speakers is now my main occupation in life I now class myself as a Trader so here they are posted.

As I have said they are a smaller version of the larger Edingdales. The initial speakers have been designed by Scott Lindgren and then tweaked/redrafted to their present format by me. Scott is well known on the forums as ‘Scottmoose’ and for his double mouthed horn designs (Woden Designs)and many a design featured on Planet10 web pages.

• Type of enclosure = Vented, 2-way
• Approximate (rounded off) dimensions: = 900mm high x 220mm wide x 350mm deep
• Build material = 18mm Baltic Birch Ply
• Sensitivity = 91dB@1m/w
• Nominal impedance = 8-ohms
• Fb = tuned to 51Hz. F6 is 42Hz, F10 is 38Hz
• Driver compliment = MarkAudio mid-bass units with Monacor ribbon tweeter.

Here’s a couple of photos of my prototypes finished in Zebrano real wood veneer:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/ROSS10.JPG

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/colin/ROSS11.JPG

Last weekend I and Nick Gorham spent a ‘boys’ weekend up in Scotland at a mate’s whist his wife and kids were away in Spain on holiday. This was the first outing of the speakers and their first public airing as it were.

Andrew (our host) wrote, on another forum, the following :

I just spent a very enjoyable weekend with these little floorstanders, to say I was floored by them would be an understatement, for the size they are excellent they have a dynamic and very balanced sound with a nice solid bass line under pinning the mix.

What's more they look like being very domestically acceptable.

Anyone interested in further details/information/prices of these or wish to audition these speakers, and or any my other offerings, can contact me through this forum. As yet I still don’t have a web site up and running but this will appear in time. For interest we can do one-off builds of any speaker design, and flat pack kits.

camtwister
19-07-2012, 14:15
All the very best with the decision to go 'full-time', Colin.

Marco
19-07-2012, 14:48
Hi Colin,

Nice speakers, mate! Just a quick point, are you now trade? If so, I'll have to amend your account status. No biggy, but simply a point of clarification :)

Marco.

Toppsy
19-07-2012, 15:30
Marco,
As I am making and selling speakers for 'profit' it would be best to amend my status to trader to save any more derision from the few members that were upset about the Edingdale speaker thread.

At the moment I am doing this full time as it's the only means of income I have. However, should one of the Agencies I'm registered with come up with a Civil Engineering Contract for me with one of the local Consultancies, then I'll be doing this part-time but still trading in effect.

Johnny Dodgem wrote
All the very best with the decision to go 'full-time', Colin.

Thanks Jon, hope the Edingdales are still doing the business for you. Bet you can't wait for your vavle amp, hey. With that they should excel over your little chip amp.

roob
19-07-2012, 15:35
If they sound as good as they look you are on a winner.
Good luck.:)

Marco
19-07-2012, 15:35
No problem, Colin. What name are you trading under? :)

Marco.

Toppsy
19-07-2012, 15:38
What name are you trading under?

Until I can come up with something better how about 'ToppSounds'

Effem
19-07-2012, 15:50
Very nice looking speakers I must say :eyebrows:

IF I win the lottie I'll have a pair in piano gloss black. Yummy :)

roob
19-07-2012, 16:11
Wish I had seen these threads earlier I have just lashed out on a pair of floorstanders :doh:

vinylspinner
19-07-2012, 16:23
Hi Colin,

Good luck with your venture, should do well if the new speakers are anything like the Edingdales, had a mate round to listen to my pair today, he was very impressed and I imagine that you will be receiving a call in the near future.

all the best,

Nigel

Covenant
19-07-2012, 19:30
Would it be fair to say that as they are front ported they could be positioned close to the corner of a room?

Toppsy
19-07-2012, 19:53
Would it be fair to say that as they are front ported they could be positioned close to the corner of a room?

Yes. Normal room boundaries would come into effect though.