PDA

View Full Version : Furutech 1363G plug

clap
18-07-2012, 23:16
I picked one of these up second hand recently. I fitted it to my Mark Grant DSP 2.5 replacing a good quality audiophile plug which was in itself an upgrade on the standard plug.

I am very impressed with the positive effects. I have a deeper soundstage, greater dynamics, extended frequencies and possibly a lower noise floor. A very worthwhile purchase. Recommended.

Tarzan
19-07-2012, 06:32
Tristan, thanks for posting, did you get any more body, weight and wamth to the sound?:)

chris@panteg
19-07-2012, 08:04
I was thinking of trying one or maybe two of these , do they really make a difference? Not exactly cheap though very well made , my amp is dead at the moment so need to get that sorted 1st .

clap
19-07-2012, 11:03
I think it improved the bass. The bass seemed deeper and more detailed. So, that helped with body and weight to the sound.

It was a similar improvement as to when I first put the cable onto the amp. It is probably not as bigger improvement but that was to be expected.

I am now thinking I would like to try another one on the pre-amp. I will also get a hifi fuse at some point.

chris@panteg
19-07-2012, 11:48
I think it improved the bass. The bass seemed deeper and more detailed. So, that helped with body and weight to the sound.

It was a similar improvement as to when I first put the cable onto the amp. It is probably not as bigger improvement but that was to be expected.

I am now thinking I would like to try another one on the pre-amp. I will also get a hifi fuse at some point.

:) ok good .

Tarzan
19-07-2012, 15:56
Was thinking of trying one just for the bling! Has anyone compared the gold version to the Rhodium version?:)

clap
19-07-2012, 16:32
I've got a rhodium Oyaide iec, and a iego gold iec. They both help with the areas I have described. If you want an exciting sound go for the rhodium, if you want to smooth things out go for the gold. I'm not sure one is better than the other, they just suit different systems.

Puffin
19-07-2012, 19:18
Are these really £85?

I would expect to hear something positive after spending that on a mains plug.

chris@panteg
19-07-2012, 19:44
Are these really £85?

I would expect to hear something positive after spending that on a mains plug.

Yep , you said it ! It needs to be a little more than subtle .

Tarzan
20-07-2012, 06:30
I've got a rhodium Oyaide iec, and a iego gold iec. They both help with the areas I have described. If you want an exciting sound go for the rhodium, if you want to smooth things out go for the gold. I'm not sure one is better than the other, they just suit different systems.

What model Rhodium Oyaide was it Tristian- this is getting interesting!:)

clap
20-07-2012, 10:01
Oyaide C-037 Rhodium/Silver Plated

Tarzan
20-07-2012, 14:33

clap
20-07-2012, 14:44
For virtually the same price as a new Oyaide you can have a solid silver Iego.

Tarzan
20-07-2012, 16:21
For virtually the same price as a new Oyaide you can have a solid silver Iego.

:popcorn:

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 12:23
While at the Whittlebury show yesterday , I managed to finally buy a furutech gold plug to try on my six way mains block , 10% off so £70 , a lot of dosh for a mains plug ? Took a bit of stick from friends , but I really wanted to try one !

Fitted it this morning , and very surprised and pleased at the improvement in sound quality , it seems to have removed a lot of noise and distortion from the music ? Sounding cleaner and more detailed with an extra clarity and sweetness to the presentation , I think it's actually well worth the money for the difference it makes , is very well made and looks good too .

brian2957
23-09-2012, 16:08
I fitted one of these the other day Christopher and got the same improvement as you guys describe . Well worth the money IMO. If you want a further improvement try one of these .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230843162353?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Yes they work too :)

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 16:22
I fitted one of these the other day Christopher and got the same improvement as you guys describe . Well worth the money IMO. If you want a further improvement try one of these .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230843162353?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Yes these work too :)

Hi Brian , yes I was told to try a tuning fuse ? I guess I'll have to give those a try next .

clap
23-09-2012, 16:23
It might be worth trying it directly onto your amp. It may make a bigger difference there.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 16:38
It might be worth trying it directly onto your amp. It may make a bigger difference there.

It might ? But I think it's best on the end of my 6way block , benefiting the whole system , it replaced an old good , but standard MK toughplug , happy with the results:)

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 16:45
Oh I should point out my 740A is still being repaired:( currently running a loan amp , a 350A which is pretty much bottom of the range , but quite a lively and exuberant performer , a bit untidy at times but a great little amp for the price £250 .

brian2957
23-09-2012, 17:17
Hi Brian , yes I was told to try a tuning fuse ? I guess I'll have to give those a try next .

Don't know about these HIFI Tuning fuses . But I can certainly vouch for the ones I tried ,at a much lower price too.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 17:22
Don't know about these HIFI Tuning fuses . But I can certainly vouch for the ones I tried ,at a much lower price too.

I think that's what he meant Brian ? £12 sounds ok to me anyway :)

brian2957
23-09-2012, 17:32
Sorry mate , just woke up from my post Sunday dinner siesta . Yes £12 is much less of a risk if the flippin thing blows :doh: .Innit :D

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 17:46
Sorry mate , just woke up from my post Sunday dinner siesta . Yes £12 is much less of a risk if the flippin thing blows :doh: .Innit :D

Thanks for the link , will give those a try :)

brian2957
23-09-2012, 18:01
The one I'm using is also in the Furutech plug for my mains block . I've ordered another for the MK silver-plated plug for my amp. I will pass on my findings , be good if you could do likewise Christopher .

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 18:05
The one I'm using is also in the Furutech plug for my mains block . I've ordered another for the MK silver-plated plug for my amp. I will pass on my findings , be good if you could do likewise Christopher .

Yes by all means , I have an MK silver plated plug on my amp as well .

Marco
23-09-2012, 18:21
Glad you guys are liking the Furutech. There's a reason why I use the Rhodium versions, throughout my system. Some things in life are worth paying for. For the serious audio and music enthusiast, an FI-1363 (R or G) mains plug is one of them...

Smile, and enjoy your music, with Furutech :)

Marco.

brian2957
23-09-2012, 18:36
Too right mate . I haven't tried the Rhodium plug but I must admit I really like the ( tiny bit ) more laid back presentation I got when I installed the gold plated Furutech plug . In the bigger scheme of things Marco this isn't such an expensive upgrade when I consider what I've paid in the past for a lesser improvement.

Reffc
24-09-2012, 17:11
Entering the fray late I know but lets clear something up here regarding the Furutech plug. Yes, it does not YET have approval from the relevant authorities and yes, that technically puts it in with other non-approved plugs. Do not make the mistake of thinking that automatically makes it unsafe as thats pure speculation and innaccurate. The legislation is primarily aimed at preventing cloned, counterfeight and unsafe plugs which lack the proper certification and would certainly never achieve it from being distributed and sold in the UK. Note though that the current lack of approval is NOT a deliberate action by Furutech who applied 2 long years ago for approval from the BSI and are still waiting for confirmation of that approval! Also, this does NOT automatically render that plug unsafe at all. They designed and built it to comply fully with the standards. Anyone examining that plug knows that it is better constructed than a majority of plugs on the market and I personally know of one trader who has tested it against many plugs (including BSI approved plugs) with some serious amounts of overload current. All other plugs including the approved ones failed long before the furutech one. That is circumstantial evidence regarding the plug and in no way helps qualify it in a legal sense at all but it tells me something about it.

I am assured that Furutech are chasing up that approval and that there have been no indications at all that it will not be forthcoming.

Tarzan
24-09-2012, 18:55
Entering the fray late I know but lets clear something up here regarding the Furutech plug. Yes, it does not YET have approval from the relevant authorities and yes, that technically puts it in with other non-approved plugs. Do not make the mistake of thinking that automatically makes it unsafe as thats pure speculation and innaccurate. The legislation is primarily aimed at preventing cloned, counterfeight and unsafe plugs which lack the proper certification and would certainly never achieve it from being distributed and sold in the UK. Note though that the current lack of approval is NOT a deliberate action by Furutech who applied 2 long years ago for approval from the BSI and are still waiting for confirmation of that approval! Also, this does NOT automatically render that plug unsafe at all. They designed and built it to comply fully with the standards. Anyone examining that plug knows that it is better constructed than a majority of plugs on the market and I personally know of one trader who has tested it against many plugs (including BSI approved plugs) with some serious amounts of overload current. All other plugs including the approved ones failed long before the furutech one. That is circumstantial evidence regarding the plug and in no way helps qualify it in a legal sense at all but it tells me something about it.

I am assured that Furutech are chasing up that approval and that there have been no indications at all that it will not be forthcoming.

Exactly- pen pushers who have nothing better to do than scaremonger to keep themselves and their department in jobs HSE gone mad- accident and emergency are struggling to cope with mains plugs related injuries.

PlugSafe
24-09-2012, 19:00
I would not wish to comment on how well constructed the Furutech plug is, but anyone familiar with BS 1363-1 will recognize that the design does not comply with that standard. That does not mean that it is impossible to gain approval, but the normal route for that would be that one of the approval houses (Intertek ASTA, BSI or Nemko) would develop a specific standard for the design, previous examples of that would be the folding plugs ThinPlug and SlimPlug, both of which have special ASTA standards with which they comply.

Until such a procedure has been completed, and the plugs manufactured with all necessary markings (which include a specific license number), it is not possible to legally supply the Furutech plug, or cables incorporating that plug, in the UK. There is no ambiguity on that, anyone supplying, or offering to supply, a plug which has not been approved is committing an offence for which there is a penalty of up to six months imprisonment.

The guidance on the Plugs and Sockets regulations may be downloaded from the government website at: http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file38628.pdf

The fuse in a standard plug MUST conform to BS 1362, and part of compliance is to be clearly marked with "BS 1362" and the approval mark. Fuses which do not comply can be very dangerous if subjected to short circuit conditions. A fuse which is not packed with an arc suppressant, usually silica sand, is particularly dangerous as it can explode under short circuit conditions! (see this video (http://www.esc.org.uk/public/guides-and-advice/checking-a-plug/testing-sub-standard-plugs/)from the Electrical Safety Council). Many fuses sold as audiophile fuses have not been approved and are not marked, some have glass bodies rather than the standard ceramic type, and clear glass makes it very apparent that there is no suppressant inside.

Please ensure that you only ever use legally supplied plugs, sockets and fuses.

By the way, this is consumer protection legislation and nothing whatsoever to do with the HSE.

theabbot
24-09-2012, 19:17
First let me make it clear that I have no view on the safety or performance of "non approved plugs" against "approved ones".
My question is, if you had a disaster at home involving one of the "non approved plugs" or even non standard fuses where you would stand with insurance?

Mike:scratch:

Marco
24-09-2012, 19:19
Hi Ann,

Welcome to AoS :)

Thank you for the information, which has been duly noted. However, I'm not quite sure where we take things from here, in terms of those of us who have purchased the Furutech plug in question, under the premise that it was an item legally for sale, through UK authorised Furutech suppliers, of which there are many, all over the Internet.

Perhaps you could advise on how those of us who have bought this item stand, legally? Or is this simply a possible insurance issue?

May I also suggest that you forward what you've written (above) to the UK importer for Furutech, Sound Fowndations, who can be found here: http://www.soundfowndations.co.uk/ advising them of your concerns, and then publish the response you receive here, for the benefit of our members?

Many thanks.

Marco.

PlugSafe
24-09-2012, 19:48
Perhaps you could advise on how those of us who have bought this item stand, legally? Or is this simply a possible insurance issue?

May I also suggest that you forward what you've written (above) to the UK importer for Furutech, Sound Fowndations, who can be found here: http://www.soundfowndations.co.uk/ advising them of your concerns, and then publish the response you receive here, for the benefit of our members?

Many thanks.

Marco.

My understanding is that there is no offence committed by a purchaser of an unapproved plug, only those who supply it in the course of business.

It is in every individual's interest to take responsibility for their own safety. As to what an insurance company would say, that can only be tested by the courts.

Thank you for the information regarding the UK importer, I will be pleased to take the matter up with them.

Best wishes,
Ann

Marco
24-09-2012, 19:57
My understanding is that there is no offence committed by a purchaser of an unapproved plug, only those who supply it in the course of business.

That's also what I thought.

Thank you for the information regarding the UK importer, I will be pleased to take the matter up with them.

No problem. Please do let us know you get on :)

Marco.

realysm42
24-09-2012, 21:12
Jeez.

MartinT
24-09-2012, 21:20
it seems to have removed a lot of noise and distortion from the music ? Sounding cleaner and more detailed with an extra clarity and sweetness to the presentation , I think it's actually well worth the money for the difference it makes , is very well made and looks good too .

Good description, Chris. Matches my findings too. I marginally prefer the rhodium over the gold, but they're both good (and I have a few of each).

synsei
24-09-2012, 21:21
I read about the issues with the Furutech plugs on the Wam and invited Ann here to explain the problem as it stands and to clarify the issue for those with doubts. Not that I think the Furutech plug is inherintly unsafe mind, but as it stands, it doesn't comply with British safety standards and as such, should a fire occur in your home as a result of one of these items it would be highly unlikely that your insurance company would pay out as a result... :eyebrows:

MCRU
24-09-2012, 21:36
I read about the issues with the Furutech plugs on the Wam and invited Ann here to explain the problem as it stands and to clarify the issue for those with doubts. Not that I think the Furutech plug is inherintly unsafe mind, but as it stands, it doesn't comply with British safety standards and as such, should a fire occur in your home as a result of one of these items it would be highly unlikely that your insurance company would pay out as a result... :eyebrows:

I find this entire saga quite funny, we have people on this very forum giving out electrical advice when they are not qualified to do so, as also happens on other forums, an entire Hi-Fi DIY world exists with 1000's of members who have modified their kit to make it sound butter but also make it potentially dangerous, as I know from the visitors to my stand at the NAS yesterday and saturday, many have taken out their plug top fuses and soldered the rails together, others have wired their mains spurs direct to their amplifiers, I could go on but the point is it is quite frankly tiresome and boring to hear about insurance companies not paying out if there was a fire or an accident involving hi-fi kit, put another record on please (pardon the pun).

If Nordost are confident in putting the plug on their Odin which costs over 10k for a power lead that is good enough for me.

synsei
24-09-2012, 21:44
As I said in my post Dave, and knowing how much care Furutech put into the design and manufacture of their products, I am certain this item is safe. Nonetheless, it needs to carry the correct certification to be sold in this country. To be honest the fault lies within the testing regime rather than with Furutech which is renowned for being glacially slow.

As for removing fuses and other unsafe mods, you won't find any such in my system. All my plugs are silver-plated MK's from yours truly :)

Besides, until it carries a kite mark I won't be buying one and the same goes for any other piece of electrical hardware which doesn't conform to BSI standards, whatever anyone else does is their concern. Living in a rented house as I do, I cannot afford to take chances...

Tarzan
24-09-2012, 22:03
Why not Police everything in the house as to whether it is safe or not- how far do you go? Nanny state gone mad.:steam:

clap
24-09-2012, 22:15
Whatever the legalities the Authorities wouldn't be interested in prosecuting Furutech as their product is clearly good quality. The legislation is there to deal with substandard and dangerous products.

Marco
24-09-2012, 22:38
Of course one should always very carefully consider the safety implications of tampering with anything electrical.

However, in terms of common causes of fires in the home, can anyone put the following in the correct order? '1' indicates statistically the most common cause, and '6', the least.

1) Smoking-related fires, caused by unattended lit cigarettes, cigars, etc.

2) Chip pans catching fire.

3) Christmas tree lights catching fire, when left switched on and unattended.

4) High-current electrical appliances, such as washing machines, etc, catching fire, whilst left in use for long periods, unattended.

5) Lit candles and joss sticks, falling onto carpets.

6) Furutech 13A plugs turning into towering infernos of molten plastic, and burning down Barratt Houses.

The prize for the first correct answer is a special Rhodium-plated Furutech 1363 mains plug, which very cleverly doubles as a fire extinguisher, or as a suppository. You choose which emergency is most urgent.

Marco.

synsei
24-09-2012, 22:44
:rfl:

I think we have pretty much ascertained there is nothing wrong with the quality of the product only that it doesn't have the necessary accreditation to be sold on the UK market. Unfortunate? Of course...

The Grand Wazoo
24-09-2012, 23:20
I find this entire saga quite funny.....

With respect, David, I don't think that's appropriate.
When all is said and done, the law is the law. It's not a defence to say that no-one has died yet so it's OK to break the law. Whether people are in danger or not, it's the law of the land, and to continue to break it in the name of delivering better sound quality for your customers is not on, in my view.

People electing to modify their own equipment is one thing, but selling something to a customer in the knowledge that it is illegal is rather different - will you point the facts out to all your customers, just in case they aren't a member of an audio forum, or they haven't read up lately on the British Standards? Or will you allow them to carry on & buy it in good faith that you are supplying something legal?

Perhaps you'll cover their losses if by any chance, there is a disaster and their insurance company refuses to pay up?

chris@panteg
25-09-2012, 00:09
Good description, Chris. Matches my findings too. I marginally prefer the rhodium over the gold, but they're both good (and I have a few of each).

Hi Martin

Yeah , must say I took some stick when I bought it lol , you paid £70 for a mains plug :lol:

I don't regret it though and it's so beautifully made , I might just buy another ? But keep it quiet :eyebrows:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 05:45
I'm also a bit confused that someone who sells these finds it funny.

I can assure you that it's no laughing matter having to make any sort of claim to an insurance company. They'll try anything to avoid paying out or to lessen the amount they pay out.

Having read nothing but good things about these plugs and respecting the opinions of those such as Marco who reckons they're a great buy, I was seriously considering trying one.

I'm not a lily-levered type but my wife is a fearsome woman. Explaining spending £100 or whatever on a plug would be easy as she established long ago that I'm mental. Explaining that said plug has caused the house to burn down and the insurers have told me to piss off is something that makes my testicles tingle at the very thought.

I'm sure the risk is tiny but that's not the point. Even if a house fire wasn't caused by said plug you can guarantee the insurance company would try to wriggle out of paying by saying that a bloke mental enough to spend £100 on an illegal plug might also be mad enough to polish his hifi equipment with methylated spirits whilst smoking a cigar.

It's a tough call. And i genuinely don't know what I'll do now. It's certainly no laughing matter though.

MartinT
25-09-2012, 06:11
Look, let's have a sense of proportion here. You can go into a Pound shop or any number of small bric-a-brac shops selling cheap imported items. There you will find a 13A plug of dubious origin that has a kite mark, CE mark, BS numbers and whatever else China/India decide to put on it. It will look shoddy and be as far away in design and finish from the standard MK plug as it's possible to be. Whether it ever went through actual testing with any authority is anyone's guess. People buy these things all the time and use them.

Now look at the Furutech and assess its safety against those items.

Whether you choose to buy them in the knowledge that they may not have the correct BS approval is between you and your soul. But please let's not get carried away with FUD here.

chris@panteg
25-09-2012, 06:40
Hi Harry

I've only made one insurance claim , for an attempted break in , my back door had to be replaced but there was a tiny bit of damage to the extension roof , I managed to blag my insurance company to replace the lot , they didn't even hesitate ?

Take note of what Martin is saying , this is getting out of hand ! Don't worry m8 .

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 06:53
Chris, my experience with insurance companies is very different. When we were burgled many years ago, dealing with the Lisa adjusters was almost as bad as the trauma if the burglary. They even argued the toss over a £39 Casio watch. I could have lied and said I'd had two Rolex watches taken.

As for the plugs. I'm sure they are brilliant but I am concerned about the insurance aspect.

Which Furutech plug would people suggest and which component would benefit most?

Clive
25-09-2012, 07:36
Insurance companies are mostly very tight on what they pay out nowadays.Everyone looks for a low priced deal, there are many scam claims, lots of storm damage & floods (even occurring today). I removed any dubious mains tweaks ages ago for this reason. If I had a hi-fi ground spike for instance I would want it electrically certified. Now I don't think the plugs discussed are a risk but they could be a get out for some cheapskate insurance company where loss adjusters are paid on their performance. This is a realistic concern. It's also understandable anyone selling the plugs will be defensive, after all it's their business, the actual risk of fire is very low indeed (or non-existent) but the insurance companies are a risk in terms of their behaviour. I had a valve amp nearly catch fire a few years ago, if it had gone up and the room caught fire who knows what they would blame.

MartinT
25-09-2012, 08:36
It's better to pay a decent premium for proper cover over your system and collection, itemised and valued in the case of the equipment. I use Hiscox, which is not cheap, but I damn well expect them to pay out should I ever have a serious loss.

Clive
25-09-2012, 08:46
It's better to pay a decent premium for proper cover over your system and collection, itemised and valued in the case of the equipment. I use Hiscox, which is not cheap, but I damn well expect them to pay out should I ever have a serious loss.
I know Hiscox have a good reputation. I don't go for cheap insurance, I do go for known companies, not no-names. A big issue I have is that the majority of companies won't quote for a house over 5 bedrooms, anyway I'm digressing and drifting.....

bobbasrah
25-09-2012, 08:59
Will all due respect folks, Exploding fuses, non-approved plugs combusting, really? ....paranoia.....

Faulty wiring causes arcs and potentially fires, NOT plugs. The current required to overheat the pins and contacts on your average 13A plug is colossal, far in excess of it's fuse capacity, although fuses are generally installed to protect the appropriate cable capacity. The current required to overheat a plug would take out your fuse or MCB long before the 13A cable or plug went on fire, and as yet Consumer Protection have no mandate over common sense. If you have just bought a 70 quid plug, are you really going to bodge the wiring for your pride and joy kit?

Kitemark etc are to certify design standards, although 2 years obtain approval from BSI is frankly ludicrous, smacking more of protecting existing manufacturers and distributors than being too busy.
Were effort applied by Consumer Protection to getting the approvals process in gear rather than hound suppliers, or whipping up hysteria over potential insurance claims, it would more useful.

Any Insurance company looking at whether a 13A plug is on the approved list when the source of the fire is elsewhere would be on very shaky ground indeed IMHO.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 09:00
I'm with Hiscox now but have never made a claim thankfully. They were the only company that didn't pass on insuring my exotic bikes which are worth even more than the hifi.

So, fellas,

Which plug should I go for?
Which component will benefit most?
What is this 'Rhodium Sound' I keep hearing about?

Thanks in advance.

MCRU
25-09-2012, 09:02
Will all due respect folks, Exploding fuses, non-approved plugs combusting, really? ....paranoia.....

Faulty wiring causes arcs and potentially fires, NOT plugs. The current required to overheat the pins and contacts on your average 13A plug is colossal, far in excess of it's fuse capacity, although fuses are generally installed to protect the appropriate cable capacity. The current required to overheat a plug would take out your fuse or MCB long before the 13A cable or plug went on fire, and as yet Consumer Protection have no mandate over common sense. If you have just bought a 70 quid plug, are you really going to bodge the wiring for your pride and joy kit?

Kitemark etc are to certify design standards, although 2 years obtain approval from BSI is frankly ludicrous, smacking more of protecting existing manufacturers and distributors than being too busy.
Were effort applied by Consumer Protection to getting the approvals process in gear rather than hound suppliers, or whipping up hysteria over potential insurance claims, it would more useful.

Any Insurance company looking at whether a 13A plug is on the approved list when the source of the fire is elsewhere would be on very shaky ground indeed IMHO.

Agreed with entirely, the plug in question has been tested to 3200 volts and passed.

Clive
25-09-2012, 09:09
I agree entirely but.....there can be grey areas. If your front door does not have a 5 lever mortice lock to the BS std it's ok is a break-in occurs elsewhere in the house but if they come in through the front door it's not.

If your hifi catches fire (and I agree I really can't see it being a Furutech plug to blame) then there could be some doubt as the cause, especially if there's a lot of collateral damage. For sure this is a tiny risk but it could land you with lots of aggro. All you have to do is not leave the kit running unattended. With valve power amps I tend not leave them running on their own as capacitors will fail and I don't want another amp smoking heavily, it's bad for my health :)

MartinT
25-09-2012, 09:21

I like the Furutech FI-1363 series plugs and IeGO silver plated IEC connectors.

As for material, it's subtle but I find that gold is the smoothest performer, silver is highly detailed and transparent and rhodium has an undefinable excitement that sounds rather good in my system. YMMV.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 09:22
OK, I'm a reckless bastard and prepared to burn to a slow death in molten electrical components. I'm even willing to lie to the wife and tell her the plug was only a tenner.

Thanks in advance.

Reffc
25-09-2012, 09:25

Spot on.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 09:25
Sorry, sort of double post.

Thanks Martin.

I'm thinking one would be best on my Pre DAC. What do folks reckon.

Marco
25-09-2012, 09:43
I think that Martin's just answered your question, Harry! ;)

As for on which component to fit the plug, I'd put it on the main source component, although ideally, you'd want them in use throughout your system.

Ok, folks, I think we've had quite enough now on house fires and the insurance risks/legality of using the Furutech plugs in question. The facts (and/or the means of researching them) are now out in the open for everyone to consider, and as adults, we're all big enough and ugly enough to make up our own minds on what to do.

Just to make it crystal clear: AoS takes no responsibility whatsoever for any incidents that may occur, as a result of modifying any aspect of your mains set-up, including mains plugs. Such things are carried out at 100 % your own risk.

Therefore, as this is a hi-fi and music forum, and not an on-line version of Watchdog, I insist that all further comments on this thread are purely hi-fi-related. All other comments will be removed without further warning.

On the subject of the sonic efficacy of the Furutech plugs, one important factor hasn't been considered, which from experience I know makes a considerable difference, and that is that using only the plug, and not also its matching socket (FP-1363, R or G, shown below), will result in one realising only a fraction of the plug's sonic potential.

http://imageshack.us/a/img171/1812/furutechfp1363s4f85c245.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/furutechfp1363s4f85c245.jpg/) http://imageshack.us/a/img443/9181/furutechwallsocket.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/furutechwallsocket.jpg/)

This is because the ultra-solid mechanical connection achieved, by using the plug and socket together, results in much improved electrical contact integrity, thus further lowering impedance/contact resistance, when both the Furutech plug and socket are 'mated' together - and so much greater performance is achieved with this partnership, than simply using the plug on its own with an 'alien' socket, particularly if the latter is of the ultra-cheap variety, commonly sold in the likes of B&Q, with amongst other things, inferior quality contacts, made of merely brass; a much poorer electrical conductor, (as opposed to the solid-copper of the Furutech).

Therefore, if you want to hear the FULL 'Furutech effect', then upgrade those sockets, too! :)

Marco.

Mr. C
25-09-2012, 09:45
I believe the Furutech plug is BS1363 approved the (audiophile) fuses I cannot comment on.

With regards to testing at 'x' voltages, this is an issue with the BS regulation I believe, if you take UK mains voltage @ RMS it is roughly 668VAC peak to peak maximum.

You can download the complete BS 1363 regulations regarding UK mains plugs and cables; it costs around £500-£600 and does take a while to 'wade' through.

The maximum current that an approved cable is allowed to pass UK mains cables is 13 @ 240Vac amps, any more than the allowed specification and it fails for obvious reasons.

If my memory is correct you can have two plugs ends which are CE/BS approved and the cable assembly may still not pass a CE, if it has a cross sectional area of more than 1.5mm square, is not less than 4N pure copper and is multi stranded (72 strands or more). Silver, Palladium, Rhodium cable is not permitted.

Which rules out around 75% of all audiophile cables UNLESS they have been submitted for testing at a designated CE testing house.

The cable assembly is subjected to a battery of physical tests as well as insulation break down, current flow, maximum voltage etc.

Stretch tests, deliberate breakages which the power is on to test earthing properties and fuse capabilities, passing through a series of rollers to test physical properties. Plus many more

An interesting subject.

Clive
25-09-2012, 09:54
It would be interesting to try 2 systems with the same components, one with all the usual (or even exotic) RCA, banana and mains plugs vs a hardwired version with no removable plugs and sockets. I would hope the hardwired system would sound better though of course it's impractical.

Marco
25-09-2012, 10:03
I'll let Tony's post stand (thanks, Tony), as it provides some extra useful information, but that's it on the matter now. You must do your OWN research and decide for yourself what products are, and are not, appropriate to use. Cheers! :)

Marco.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 10:24
So, Marco. To get the full effect. I need 8 plugs and 8 sockets. About £1,600 I reckon. She'd kill me. And I think I'd prefer to put it towards new speakers.

Unless I thought it would be worth it of course . . .

Oh shit . . .

MartinT
25-09-2012, 10:29
Harry - the Missing Link EPS-100 silver plated double socket is great value at £30. I use one and my rhodium Furutech makes excellent contact with it.

http://www.the-missing-link.net/new_pa7.jpg

MCRU
25-09-2012, 10:39
Pity you all missed the show at the weekend as I was offering 15% off Furutech, it went down very well with visitors on the 2 days. I have a few of these left which are also very good, like Marco says the Furutech wall socket is incredibly well built and once the plug is pushed in it's very, very hard to get it back out! Of course it costs quite a bit but you get what you pay for usually.

Put in code MAINS10 on my website for a special AOS discount.

http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/358-large/silver-plated-audio-grade-wall-socket.jpg (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/mains-wall-sockets/201-silver-plated-audio-grade-wall-socket.html)

Marco
25-09-2012, 10:41
So, Marco. To get the full effect. I need 8 plugs and 8 sockets. About £1,600 I reckon. She'd kill me. And I think I'd prefer to put it towards new speakers.

Unless I thought it would be worth it of course . . .

Oh shit . . .

Lol, Harry! In all honesty, I'd say no, as what I've suggested is really for those who are now at the end of their 'hi-fi journey' and simply want to dot all the I's and cross the T's, as it were. Such things, therefore, should be viewed as simply the 'icing on the cake'.

Don't get me wrong, it's a worthwhile thing to do, but only if all other (more important) areas of your system have been successfully addressed first. New speakers would definitely be a better investment!

However, for those who want to achieve a goodly dose of the sonic effect mentioned, more cost effectively, from the use of high-quality sockets, then Martin's suggestion (above) is an excellent one :)

Marco.

MCRU
25-09-2012, 10:43
http://imageshack.us/a/img171/1812/furutechfp1363s4f85c245.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/furutechfp1363s4f85c245.jpg/) http://imageshack.us/a/img443/9181/furutechwallsocket.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/furutechwallsocket.jpg/)

Nice photos mate. Really do the product justice.

Marco
25-09-2012, 10:58
Churz, dude. I just picked them up off of the web :)

like Marco says the Furutech wall socket is incredibly well built and once the plug is pushed in it's very, very hard to get it back out!

How true is that!! :eek: :exactly:

What I like best though, is the lovely smooth 'clunk' you get when pushing the plugs into their matching sockets. I just love quality engineering. It's akin to the similar, rather satisfying 'thunk', one gets when closing a car door, on the likes of a Bentley. Basically, it's what you get when buying the higest quality bespoke products, which with the Furutech, is effectively what you're paying for ;)

Marco.

MCRU
25-09-2012, 11:03
Churz, dude. I just picked them up off the web :)

Marco.

Respect due for ending the debate about the plug, one forum closed it after about 5 posts!

Tarzan
25-09-2012, 11:06
Respect due for ending the debate about the plug, one forum closed it after about 5 posts!

That was 5 posts too late!:mental:

Marco
25-09-2012, 11:11

Lightweights!! :lol:

Marco.

chris@panteg
25-09-2012, 11:23
Hey Marco

Does the Furutech plugs and sockets give you serious wood time ?

Sorry for lowering the tone:o

Tarzan
25-09-2012, 11:33
Hey Marco

Sorry for lowering the tone:o

No, but they do me! l will buy some if l could be convinced of their worth- and safety;).

Marco
25-09-2012, 11:35
Hey Marco

Oh yeah, baby! Wanna pick the splinters out of my sweaty palms?? Mmm... Do you?? Wanna squeeze my bulging calluses? I think you do... You dirty, dirty, boy!! :exactly:

Marco.

chris@panteg
25-09-2012, 11:44
Oh yeah, baby! Wanna pick the splinters out of my sweaty palms?? Mmm... Do you?? Wanna squeeze my bulging calluses? I think you do... You dirty, dirty, boy!! :exactly:

Marco.

:lol:

PlugSafe
25-09-2012, 11:50
Hi Ann,

Many thanks.

Marco.

Hi Marco, I just wanted to confirm that I have done that.

Regarding the discussion above on Furutech sockets, the photographs show that the sockets have a CE mark on the front. CE marking is a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain European Directives. However, as there is NO European Directive which applies to UK plugs and sockets, this marking is clearly fraudulent and is an offence under the trades descriptions act. UK 13A sockets must conform to BS 1363-2 and be clearly marked as such.

That is a very clear illustration that Furutech do not understand the requirements of the UK market.

Beobloke
25-09-2012, 12:02

Marco.

:spew:

Marco
25-09-2012, 12:05
Hi Marco, I just wanted to confirm that I have done that.

Regarding the discussion above on Furutech sockets, the photographs show that the sockets have a CE mark on the front. CE marking is a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain European Directives. However, as there is NO European Directive which applies to UK plugs and sockets, this marking is clearly fraudulent and is an offence under the trades descriptions act. UK 13A sockets must conform to BS 1363-2 and be clearly marked as such.

That is a very clear illustration that Furutech do not understand the requirements of the UK market.

Hi Ann,

Yup, it seems you may be right. However, as I said earlier, it's come to the point now where people, having read the information presented, must simply make up their own minds, as to whether or not they wish to purchase the Furutech products in question.

Therefore, I'd appreciate it if we left that matter there (and that applies to everyone). I would however also appreciate it if you would publish the reply here, which you get from the UK importer, as it will be of interest and possible benefit to many users and non-users of said products :)

Many thanks.

Marco.