PDA

View Full Version : Football 2012/2013

Stratmangler
18-07-2012, 19:50
Well chaps, the start of the Premier League Season is just 3 short weeks away, so it's time to start a new thread for some gentle mud slinging.

Now I find it disgraceful the way that the SFA and representatives of clubs within the SFA have behaved over the Rangers financial meltdown.
Now I find this out http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/rangers-to-become-a-pub-team-2012062932480

DanJennings
30-07-2012, 17:36
well it can't be any worse than last season!

http://blog.footballrascal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Alex-McLeish-Aston-Villa-McLeish-out.jpg

Stratmangler
30-07-2012, 22:20
well it can't be any worse than last season!

http://blog.footballrascal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Alex-McLeish-Aston-Villa-McLeish-out.jpg

Well now that he's gone, what do you think of your new manager.
I've got bad memories from the last time City played against a Lambert managed side.
OK, we got a quite substantial scoreline, but the number of dirty, underhand tactics his team employed were beyond belief.

DanJennings
01-08-2012, 06:03
Well now that he's gone, what do you think of your new manager.
I've got bad memories from the last time City played against a Lambert managed side.
OK, we got a quite substantial scoreline, but the number of dirty, underhand tactics his team employed were beyond belief.

Well I'm happy about the appointment, but anything's better than McLeish.
Hopefully we'll play some more entertaining football next season. I was more interested in other teams' matches last season because we were so dull!

Alex_UK
02-08-2012, 07:19
I was quite peed off about losing Lambert at first, but I'm sure it will be fine...

John
18-08-2012, 07:12
Well season about to kick off its between the two Mnachester clubs
Be interesting to see how Liverpool do with their manager, Chelsea with their new players Aresnal without RVP and Tottenham with AVB
As for the bottom that will be as close as ever

DanJennings
18-08-2012, 08:55
Well season about to kick off its between the two Mnachester clubs
Be interesting to see how Liverpool do with their manager, Chelsea with their new players Aresnal without RVP and Tottenham with AVB
As for the bottom that will be as close as ever

Just as long as the villa don't cut it as fine as they did last season I'll be happy.

The prospect of watching RVP flourish at Man United should be good... Should be another tight title race this season I reckon.

Arsenal should be OK, they've made some pretty nice signings too

Stratmangler
18-08-2012, 16:05
Looks like one or two teams still have their heads in the holiday zone :eyebrows:

Going to the match with the lad tomorrow - last weekend was a nice diversion but it counts for nothing.
Tomorrow the proper job starts, and there are plenty who'd love to knock us off our top spot.

Alex_UK
18-08-2012, 18:48
Looks like one or two teams still have their heads in the holiday zone :eyebrows:

:doh:

DanJennings
19-08-2012, 19:08
:doh:

Your lot were poor.... So were we! :(

Stratmangler
19-08-2012, 20:19
Your lot were poor.... So were we! :(

So were we! :doh:
Southampton were compact at the back and kept hitting us with long ball counterattacks, and our defense were asleep and continually got caught out.

At least we managed to get the result and the points, but it was one frustrating match to watch.

DanJennings
19-08-2012, 21:05
So were we! :doh:
Southampton were compact at the back and kept hitting us with long ball counterattacks, and our defense were asleep and continually got caught out.

At least we managed to get the result and the points, but it was one frustrating match to watch.

Didn't see it, but I hear Aguero went off injured? Is it serious? He's captain of my dream team! :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
19-08-2012, 21:13
Didn't see it, but I hear Aguero went off injured? Is it serious? He's captain of my dream team! :eyebrows:

It's not good - he hit the deck awkwardly after a fairly innocuous challenge.
It will be a couple of days before the injury can be properly assessed'
Here's hoping things aren't as bad as first feared.

slate
20-08-2012, 15:32
Seems that I picked the right match to Watch this weekend: QPR - Swansea.

As I stated several months back Swansea was a big positive surprise for me and I managed to watch some of their matches in the late season.

And now that Michael Laudrup has taken over it will become even easier as their matches are certain to be picked as one to be broadcasted every weekend.

Michael Laudrup was a deity when I grew up; I recall a graffiti in Copenhagen stating(1985): What happens if Jesus comes back to earth? we move Elkjær out as a wing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preben_Elkj%C3%A6r_Larsen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Laudrup

Time to mow the lawn and maybe a little United - Everton later this evening.

Marco
29-08-2012, 20:42
Champions League here we come!!!

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Marco.

Stratmangler
29-08-2012, 20:50
Champions League here we come!!!

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Marco.

Nice one.
I hope the draws are kind to you :)

Marco
29-08-2012, 21:09
Churz, dude. We'll soon find out tomorrow! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
30-08-2012, 17:55
Barcelona, Benfica and Spartak Moscow - nice one! If we could sneak in after Barca, it'll have been a major success for Celtic :)

Some awesome games to look forward to - bring it on! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
31-08-2012, 10:31
Real, Ajax & Dortmund!
Nice easy group for City then :eek:

Marco
31-08-2012, 17:34
Lol... You'll tank 'em all! :eyebrows:

Pity we didn't meet up - I'd have liked Celtic to have pitted their wits against England's finest...

No worries, we'll save it for the final! ;)

Marco.

Marco
30-09-2012, 06:47
What's happened, chaps - have we stopped talking about footy? :scratch:

Let's get this thread back on track. Chris, I think that City will start picking up points more consistently now. It's always much harder defending your title the following year, after winning your first one! ;)

What are your hopes for The Champions League this season?

Wish us (Celtic) luck against Spartak Moscow. They gave Barcelona a hard time on their own patch, so I'm expecting a massively difficult game for us in Moscow on Tuesday night.... If we can get a draw, I'll be happy! :)

Marco.

Alex_UK
30-09-2012, 06:50
What's happened, chaps - have we stopped talking about footy? :scratch:

I'm a Norwich City Fan... I don't want to talk about it! :lol:

Marco
30-09-2012, 07:06
No 'special' team talks recently from Delia? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Stratmangler
30-09-2012, 11:17
It's been a slow start for City, that's for sure, and amid all the draws there is the thought we're still not that far behind the table leaders, and that we haven't played well (at least until yesterday's game, where we were robbed of a clean sheet by a non penalty, and our opponents only had one proper shot at goal).

So all is not lost.

The midweek game is going to be a biggy.

I wish Celtic all the best for Tuesday - it ain't going to be a walk in the park :eyebrows:

Marco
02-10-2012, 18:00
Spartak Moscow 2 CELTIC 3

:yay: :yay: :yay: :mex: :mex: :champagne: :champagne: :yay: :yay: :yay:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS, YA FOOKING DANCER!!! I'm delerious beyond belief - bring on Barca!!!! :exactly:

Marco.

Stratmangler
02-10-2012, 18:21
Just spotted the score elsewhere - nice one :cool:
You home or away for the Barca game?

I'm off to the match tomorrow night - promises to be a tough one.
Borussia Dortmund are currently sitting in 3rd place in the Bundesliga :eyebrows:

Marco
02-10-2012, 18:38
We've got a double-header coming up with them, dude. The first one is away (on 23rd Oct), which I'm happy about (and then at home against them on 7th Nov). I'd prefer to face Barca at their ground first, so that Lennon can see them up close and plan tactically properly for the return match at Parkhead, where we've got a much better chance of taking something from the game.

Realistically, I'm not expecting us to do much against them over the two games, perhaps getting a point at home, but our chances of reaching the last 16 won't rest on what we do against Barca....

Good luck against Dortmund. I predict a win for City and proper kick-start to their season! :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
02-10-2012, 19:05
Good luck against Dortmund. I predict a win for City and proper kick-start to their season! :)

Marco.

Ta.
Here's to tomorrow night :cool:

Marco
02-10-2012, 20:13
Yup... What I'm looking for now is to meet Rangers in one of the Scottish Cups, so we can give them a right royal humping, and remind them of just how shee-ite they are! :lol: :lol:

Marco.

Marco
06-10-2012, 16:05
They got a great result today, right enough, in Div 3: only lost 1-0 away to Stirling Albion! Quality.... :partytime: :rfl: :rfl:

Hey, 3-0 today, Chris - cause for some celebration? :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
06-10-2012, 16:15
I wonder if we'll be the first to part company with our new manager... :doh: I was quite positive before the season started! :lol: As Marco mentioned, we will need one of Delia's "let's be 'avin you" team talks very soon...

snapper
06-10-2012, 16:29
Great day for the footy.

Morton 3 v 1 Partick Thistle

West Brom 3 v 2 QPR

Wrexham 2 v 1 Forest Green

:cool:

snapper
06-10-2012, 16:32
Oh aye, and Sevco got pumped 1 - 0 by Stirling Albion, (who were sitting bottom of division 3, prior to today's result)

:lol:

Stratmangler
06-10-2012, 17:04
Hey, 3-0 today, Chris - cause for some celebration? :cool:

Marco.

Nice to see something like the form of last season :)
At last :yay:

Wednesday was a tough game, and we were lucky to get a penalty decision when we did.
The way I saw it (and I was in a great position to see it) there was hand contact with the ball, but it was ball to hand, and shouldn't have been a penalty call.
Still it made up for all of the other rubbish decisions the Referee made that night.

Has anyone worked out what the two extra clowns on the goal line are there for at CL games?
For all the good that they do they'd get a better view watching the telly in one of the hospitality lounges :eyebrows:

Marco
07-10-2012, 14:25
I think that City are now slowly showing signs of moving up a gear and that they will be up there challenging Chelsea before long at the top. Remember that winning the Premiership title is a marathon, not a sprint, and just like in horse racing, for example, the early pace-setters are rarely the ones who triumph. He who plays the long game usually wins - and no-one knows that more than Fergie!

Mancini is learning now what it takes to win the English Premiership, just as Alex Ferguson had to do all those years ago, and particularly what it takes to defend your first title! If City can successfully defend their title, or at least finish as runners up, it will show whether this City team, and Mancini, have what it takes to become a dominant force in England (and in Europe), just like their big Manchester rivals.....

As for my team, Celtic, a hard-fought (but crucial) 1-0 home win today against Hearts has put us back on top of the SPL, and with a game still in hand. If we can win that, after the International break, then I'm confident we can remain there on the way to winning the title.

However, the focus for me (and Celtic) at the moment is on the Champion's League, where I have a good feeling that we can qualify for the last 16, although much depends on what Barcelona do against our other rivals.

We need Barca to sail away in first place, and for us to take as many points off of the other teams as we can to finish in second place, in order for getting through to the knock-out stages to become a reality, though if we don't make it and drop into the Europa League, I'm confident that with this team we can make a significant impact on that competition.

It's all good! :cool:

Marco.

P.S David, well done to the 'ton! :)

snapper
07-10-2012, 15:23
P.S David, well done to the 'ton! :)

...and Wrexham :sheep:

...and The Baggies.

Stratmangler
20-10-2012, 15:58
Jeez, what a struggle!!!
West Brom 1 - Manchester City 2, both goals scored by Edin Dzeko.
We lost Milner in the first half to a red card for a poor challenge too.

Marco
20-10-2012, 16:18
Yup, those are the sorts of results you need to win titles, baby! Snapper will be disappointed as he's a Baggies fan, although Morton managed a hard-fought 2-2 result away against Dunfermline, which is a decent result.

We beat St Mirren 5-0 away, and that'll act as some form of positive preparation for the midweek game away to Barca in the Champion's league - from Love St to the Nou Camp, you can't help loving life as a Celtic fan! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Stratmangler
20-10-2012, 16:26
Our next up in the Champions League is Ajax in Amsterdam.
Hoping we can get the result, but Ajax are none too shabby.

DanJennings
20-10-2012, 16:38
Oh well, the villa are still crap!

snapper
20-10-2012, 17:02
Snapper will be disappointed as he's a Baggies fan, although Morton managed a hard-fought 2-2 result away against Dunfermline, which is a decent result.

:steam: Raging, 2-0 up against Dunfermline with 7 minutes to go. :steam:

The Baggies 1-0 with 10 minutes to go. :steam:

Ah well, at least Wrexham won, beat Southport 2-0. :)

Marco
20-10-2012, 19:45
:steam: Raging, 2-0 up against Dunfermline with 7 minutes to go. :steam:

An old story with Morton, as well you know... Still, a point's better than fook all away from home :)

Ah well, at least Wrexham won, beat Southport 2-0.

Aye, I think they'll get promotion this year :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
20-10-2012, 20:05
The mighty Canaries finally get the first league win of the season, albeit I wasn't expecting it today! Watch out Dan - the lads will be keen to give Mr Lambert a revenge spanking next week at Villa Park! ;)

snapper
20-10-2012, 20:21
Aye, I think they'll get promotion this year :cool:

Marco.

It was an FA Cup game today. But they're doing not too bad in the League, sitting second equal, along with Luton Town.

DanJennings
21-10-2012, 11:23
The might Canaries finally get the first league win of the season, albeit I wasn't expecting it today! Watch out Dan - the lads will be keen to give Mr Lambert a revenge spanking next week at Villa Park! ;)

I'd say you were in with a very good chance.

We don't seem capable of beating anyone at the moment.

Marco
21-10-2012, 11:34
It was an FA Cup game today. But they're doing not too bad in the League, sitting second equal, along with Luton Town.

Ah, I thought it was a league game. Still, they seem to be picking up now. We'll go to watch a game, if you like, when you come down... No reason to rush back up the road after 'Brumbo' ;)

Marco.

Marco
23-10-2012, 22:10
Oooooh, so near, yet so far.... We lost 2-1 to Barca - bloody winner for them in the 94th minute!! :doh:

Hey ho...

Marco.

Stratmangler
24-10-2012, 21:37
Oooooh, so near, yet so far.... We lost 2-1 to Barca - bloody winner for them in the 94th minute!! :doh:

Hey ho...

Marco.

That's a tough one to chew on.

I'm at a loss for words to even begin to comment on the events in Amsterdam tonight :doh:

Marco
24-10-2012, 22:36
What was the score, Chris?

Ooops, just checked... :(

Marco.

Stratmangler
25-10-2012, 17:27
This kind Champions League performance is what got Mancini sacked by his last club, Internazionale.
Looks like the old monkey just went on holiday for a little while :doh:

Whatever happens, I just hope that he sets up the team to play to our strengths for the next two CL games - I have tickets for both, and if he can resist the temptation to meddle we might be in with a chance (here's hoping).

Stratmangler
07-11-2012, 22:15
Well done Celtic, 2-1 against Barca.
That'll have stunned them :cool:

Marco
08-11-2012, 00:53
I'm just in from a gig near Anglesey and have caught the result - FUCKING AMAZING!!! :yay: :yay: :mex: :champagne: :champagne:

Not bad for a wee diddy Scottish team, eh? :eyebrows:

We should've had a point at their ground, too. Imagine how the group table would've looked then...!! I've recorded the match, so off to watch it now :cool:

Marco.

DanJennings
10-11-2012, 19:29
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH! Bloody Man United!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Stratmangler
10-11-2012, 19:57
AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGH! Bloody Man United!

Didn't see the game Dan, but I know you were 2-0 up at half time.
What happened?

Alex_UK
10-11-2012, 20:20
MOTD looks like it should be good tonight - well, apart from my team, where their 0 - 0 draw with Reading will be a good nod-off opportunity...

DanJennings
11-11-2012, 09:54
Didn't see the game Dan, but I know you were 2-0 up at half time.
What happened?

Chicharito came off the bench and taught us a lesson basically.
I expected to lose the game, but it hurts to lose like this.

Alex_UK
11-11-2012, 12:47
Sorry Dan, but seeing Lambert so pissed off was brilliant as a Norwich fan... Which I know is small minded and petty but there you go! :lol:

Stratmangler
17-11-2012, 00:04
According to the bullshit mongers known affectionately as "The Press", my beloved Manchester City have been in crisis all season, yet here we are, just 2 points adrift and sitting in 2nd place on the table.
We haven't had to suffer a league defeat at home since December 2010 either.

Doesn't seem to be too much of a crisis then (most managers would willingly give their left testicle to be in such a crisis position).

And City have not hit their stride yet.
I wonder if they will tomorrow?

Our injury woes have diminished considerably too, with Jack Rodwell and Micah Richards being the only two players not fit to play.

chris@panteg
17-11-2012, 13:48
Not too much to worry about Chris , but city are underachieving in the champions league ?

I'm surprised no body has talked about Ibrahimavic's 'goal' being talked about as the 'greatest' , certainly one in a million strike I would say , but it was only a friendly ?

DanJennings
17-11-2012, 17:52
don't talk to me about Manchester bloody City
grumblegrumblegrumble

Alex_UK
17-11-2012, 19:31
Get in there! Listened to the match on Talksport and it sounded like we deserved it - will see later, although Ruddy may have been our saviour again!

http://www.wedofootball.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/products_img/ontheballc.jpg

Stratmangler
17-11-2012, 20:23
Not too much to worry about Chris , but city are underachieving in the champions league ?

I was at the home leg game against Ajax, and we were not outplayed.
We were guilty of very sloppy defending for the two goals that Ajax scored in the first half, but other than that it was a good performance.

We had a goal incorrectly given as offside, and were denied a stonewall penalty right at the death, when Balotelli was hauled over in the box and the referee blew the final whistle.
If it were a Premier League game there would have been a penalty awarded.

The Champions League campaign has not been a roaring success I must admit, but there is still a very small chance of somehow getting through to the knockout stage, although it does depend on other results going in our favour too.

Stratmangler
17-11-2012, 20:26
Get in there! Listened to the match on Talksport and it sounded like we deserved it - will see later, although Ruddy may have been our saviour again!

Good result Alex, and one I'm rather pleased about :eyebrows:
With that and the demolition of Villa it has been a very good footballing day for me :cool:

Alex_UK
17-11-2012, 20:28
Good result Alex, and one I'm rather pleased about :eyebrows:
With that and the demolition of Villa it has been a very good footballing day for me :cool:

Me too... Did you see how our arch-rivals Ipswich did - Leicester tonked them 6-0! :lol: Doesn't get much better than beating Man U and seeing the Tractor boys completely mullered all in the same day. :)

Stratmangler
17-11-2012, 21:34
We're at home to Real Madrid on Wednesday, and I'm starting to get excited about the prospect, as is my son.
We're both going to the match :)

Alex_UK
17-11-2012, 21:42
We're at home to Real Madrid on Wednesday, and I'm starting to get excited about the prospect, as is my son.
We're both going to the match :)

Should be a great experience - great that you and your son can experience those sort of matches. :)

Marco
17-11-2012, 21:44
Good luck with that one, dude. Do 'em like we did Barca! :exactly:

We *must* take something from Benfica, to take them out of the picture before the last game against Spartak, which if we have to go into needing points, will be a hard game, as they'll be out for revenge after us beating them on their patch.

Marco.

Stratmangler
17-11-2012, 21:53
Good luck with that one, dude. Do 'em like we did Barca! :exactly:

We *must* take something from Benfica, to take them out of the picture before the last game against Spartak, which if we have to go into needing points, will be a hard game, as they'll be out for revenge after us beating them on their patch.

Marco.

Good luck with your fixtures too - after what you did to Barcelona it'd be a shame to not push through.

snapper
17-11-2012, 22:04
Dumbarton 1 - 5 Morton

:stalks:

Great away win for the Mighty 'ton. Sitting third, 4 points off the top.

West Brom 2 - 1 Chelsea

Steve Clarke takes the Baggies to fourth in the league, no' bad furra Salkitts boay.

:D

Wrexham 1 - 1 Gateshead

Pity Wrexham couldn't make 3 wins today, but apparently they missed a load of good chances, only for Gateshead to equalise with a wonder goal. Wrexham also sitting fourth, but with a game in hand.

:cool:

Marco
18-11-2012, 00:43
You forgot about the Bhoys! We beat Aberdeen 2-0 at Pittodrie, to go top of the league :)

Great result for the 'Ton! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
21-11-2012, 10:33
I see Abramovich has been at it again, sacking the Chelsea manager.
I can't see how a knee-jerk reaction like this improves the situation :scratch:
They've got a tough fixture coming up this weekend too :eyebrows:

Tough result for Celtic last night, but you know the old saying - it ain't over 'til it's over.
What are the final game fixtures?

I am really looking forward to tonight's game against Real Madrid.
Whether we get through to the knockout stages or not is of little consequence now IMO.
Tonight we're playing for pride, and I'd like to see Real scuttle off to the airport with their collective tails between their legs :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
21-11-2012, 17:04
For City to get through to the next round we have to win our 2 remaining CL games, Dortmund need to beat Ajax tonight, and Ajax to beat Real Madrid next game, so it's definitely a case of it ain't over 'til it's over :)

Wish me luck...:cool:

Marco
21-11-2012, 17:45
Good luck, Chris. Hope you guys can do it! :)

Like you say, we were unlucky last night against Benfica. As you know yourself, it's HUGELY difficult to win away in these games, and that's twice now Celtic have narrowly escaped getting an excellent 1-1 draw away from home (last night and at Barca), which if things had gone differently, would've made a massive difference!

Still, it wasn't so long ago that we were getting humped regularly away from home in Europe, and couldn't buy a win. This year, so far, we've beaten Spartak at their ground and lost 2-1 to both Benfica and Barca away, but beaten Barca 2-1 at home and drawn 0-0 with Benfica (the latter minus a strike force, through suspension and injury).

No matter what happens in the final game against Spartak Moscow at Celtic Park, that's a fantastic record for a team playing in a so-called 'diddy' league, with only a small fraction of the money to spend, compared with the other teams in their CL group, especially Barca!!

Now if Celtic were playing in The Premiership every week (the platform a team of their calibre and huge support deserves), and getting the sort of money that Man City are - just imagine what their potential could be..... But that's an old story and a huge bugbear of mine! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Neil Lennon is defo making progress with this team, and I envisage great things for the future :cool:

I'll be rooting for City tonight!! :mex:

Marco.

Stratmangler
21-11-2012, 22:48
It's all over for us now.
We just weren't good enough.
It's looking like the Europa League beckons :doh:

Stratmangler
22-11-2012, 18:20
Interesting developments on the Chelsea front.
It's now fallen upon Manchester City supporters to bring back that fantastic number from the Football Supporters Songbook, "Fat Spanish Waiter" :eyebrows:

eHH-fseKtkE

Stratmangler
23-11-2012, 14:03
There must be something in the air at the moment, 'cos Mark Hughes has just had the elbow from QPR, and Harry Redknapp has been appointed their new manager.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/harry-redknapp-appointed-qpr-manager-after-club-sacks-mark-hughes-8346721.html

chelsea
23-11-2012, 14:15
Hughes should have gone a while back.
At least they only have man u away this week.

Marco
05-12-2012, 21:44
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... We've fooking qualified for the last 16 in the Champions League!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :mex: :mex: :mex: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne:

I'm utterly delerious!!! :) :) :)

Marco.

Alex_UK
05-12-2012, 21:46
Great result - congrats! :cool:

Stratmangler
05-12-2012, 21:47
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... We've fooking qualified for the last 16 in the Champions League!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :mex: :mex: :mex: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne: :champagne:

I'm utterly delerious!!! :) :) :)

Marco.

Nice one :cool:

Marco
05-12-2012, 21:58
Cheers, guys! It's a phenomenal achievement for a Scottish team on such a small financial budget, compared to the rest of the teams in the competition.

How many other British teams got through? :)

Marco.

Marco
05-12-2012, 22:28
Looks like Arsenal and Man Utd.

Dunno who I fancy now - maybe a crack at Juventus? :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
05-12-2012, 23:00
I hope you manage to avoid Borussia Dortmund - they were the really nasty surprise of group D.
They press hard and and are very fluid in attack.
Their players are also very good at underhand tactics, and making the victim look like the perpetrator.

All in all, they're more than a handful ;)

Marco
05-12-2012, 23:06
German teams are always difficult to play against. Bayern are also tough opposition, too. They're one of the few teams to have beaten us at home in the CL.

Nah, I fancy more of a glamour tie, so for me bring on Man Yoo or Juve! :exactly:

Marco.

Stratmangler
06-12-2012, 11:25
Nah, I fancy more of a glamour tie, so for me bring on Man Yoo or Juve! :exactly:

Marco.

Talking of ManYoo, roll on Sunday.
Our league form is rather better than it has been in the Champions League :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
06-12-2012, 11:33
As an arsenal fan , anyone is going to fancy the gunners next round , team is a shambles at the moment !

chris@panteg
09-12-2012, 19:09
Talking of ManYoo, roll on Sunday.
Our league form is rather better than it has been in the Champions League :eyebrows:

Bit nasty at the end Chris , what's you're take on it ?

Marco
09-12-2012, 19:23
Shame about the result, Chris. I thought you guys were all set for a total comeback... The nastiness at the end reminds me of what we sometimes used to get up in Glasgow in Old Firm games :(

Marco.

chelsea
09-12-2012, 19:51
Thought city looked at best average.

Stratmangler
09-12-2012, 21:29
Bit nasty at the end Chris , what's you're take on it ?

I was in the pub and didn't see it 'cos someone moved into my line of view.

Whoever chucked that coin should have the full weight of the law thrown at 'em - there's absolutely no need for it, and there's certainly no need to lower standards to those of a number of United supporters (remember the coin throwing incidents at Tevez and Bellamy? - different games but the same mindless behaviour across town).

DanJennings
15-12-2012, 17:46
WOW!

That was a good win for the Villa. I'd forgotten what it feels like!

Chuffed.

:mex:

Alex_UK
15-12-2012, 20:32
Well done Dan... and for Tuesday (Grrrr!) - still, we can trot out the "concentrating on the league" cliché now - see if we can maintain 7th!!!! :stalks: Europe next year for us? :lol:

Stratmangler
16-12-2012, 01:08
Europe next year for us? :lol:

One of the best games I've been to was the do or die Europa League fixture against SV Hamburg at the now Etihad Stadium.
The place was rocking.
City won, but the aggregate score was against us http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7977083.stm

Last season brought us the delights of the Europa League again - the home leg against Porto was a rediculously early midweek kickoff (I think it was something like 5.00pm), and thankfully we managed to make it in time to see the first goal, 29 seconds into the game.

IIRC Porto made some half hearted official complaint about our supporters taunting one their players, trying to make out that there was some sort of racist agenda taking place.
The player plays under the name of Hulk, and the "taunting" came in the form of a singing the words "Your Not Incredible" over and over again http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/23/manchester-city-hulk-unsporting-porto

The Europa League has produced some really entertaining matches for me, but truth be told, I'm pleased that the pleasure has slipped us by this season.
We really do have the "Get Out Of Jail" card to concentrate on the league aka the defence of the title, and, for now, a tilt at the FA Cup too.

I'm pleased for both Villa and Norwich and their respective victories - good on ya both :cool:

Today was a good result for us against Newcastle - all three of our goals were down to superb teamwork.
Newcastle's goal was an excellent header from Ba, where the ball was returned quickly to the box after being "cleared" away - if I was being churlish I could bemoan the slowish outward push of our defence - if the players on either post had moved upfield a bit quicker then Ba would have been offside.
Regardless, Ba's goal beat Joe Hart, looping over his head, out of reach into the top left corner.

Alex_UK
16-12-2012, 08:45
I loved the factoid on MOTD last night - of all the 96 clubs in the top leagues of Europe, only Barcelona are on a longer unbeaten run than Norwich! Must admit I do have to keep rubbing my eyes to see if I'm awake! :D

The City performance was good, and Villa seem to have turned a corner? Benteke has to be one of the bargains of the season - that back-heel was awesome as well his goals - Lambert has a knack of finding these stars.

Marco
20-12-2012, 22:52
Forgot to post this last night... So we've drawn Juve in the knockout stages of the Champions League - *just* what I wanted!! :yay: :yay:

It'll be a bloody hard couple of games, and I really can't see us going any further in the competition, but if we don't, then what a way to end our jousts this year with the big boys of Europe, with a crack at Juventus.......... It really doesn't get much better.

Come on Celtic!! :mex:

Marco.

DanJennings
23-12-2012, 17:53
Back to reality. 8-0 :(

Stratmangler
23-12-2012, 22:03
Back to reality. 8-0 :(

Ouch!!! :doh:

Alex_UK
23-12-2012, 23:18
And I thought we had a bad week... And we've got Chelsea on Wednesday! :eek: (Then Man City next Saturday...)

Stratmangler
26-12-2012, 19:38
And I thought we had a bad week... And we've got Chelsea on Wednesday! :eek: (Then Man City next Saturday...)

Going off today's performance you've got little to fear from City - we seem to be intent on walking the ball into the net at the minute.
I do feel a bit aggrieved with the Sunderland "goal" - play should have stopped for a foul on Pablo Zabaleta before that.

Still, there's still a long way to go yet until the end of the season, and we've all seen a larger point gap disappear in less than a handful of games.
It ain't over by a long way yet baby :eyebrows:

DanJennings
27-12-2012, 09:25
4-0 :(
-12 goal difference in 2 games. Not good....
It was pretty disgusting that half the fans left after 73 minutes though, whatever happened to supporting your team to the very end?

Stratmangler
27-12-2012, 10:33
4-0 :(
-12 goal difference in 2 games. Not good....
It was pretty disgusting that half the fans left after 73 minutes though, whatever happened to supporting your team to the very end?

Has Lambert lost the dressing room?
There's usually something bubbling under the surface when teams turn in atrocious performances repeatedly.

Our last drubbing was 8-1 at Middlesbrough, last game of the 2007/08 season, and there was a huge amount of turmoil at the club at the time.

As to supporters leaving before final whistle - I've never understood this behaviour, nor am I likely to, whatever the reasons.
The one time I found it highly amusing was the exodus from Old Trafford when the home team suffered their biggest home defeat in 85 years - the place was half empty at final whistle, and next to nobody from the home supporters were facing the pitch as they were scrabbling for the exits :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
29-12-2012, 19:08
Crazy and mad game at the Emirates , what is going on at Arsenal ?

DanJennings
29-12-2012, 19:20
Crazy and mad game at the Emirates , what is going on at Arsenal ?

This is the best game I've seen in ages. Much better than the bloody villa

chris@panteg
29-12-2012, 19:31
Got to get Theo signed up now , comon Wenger sort it out !

Stratmangler
29-12-2012, 20:00
Strange game at Norwich today.
The officials were awful, and I'm still mystified as to why Samir Nasri was sent off :scratch:

Still, Dzeko was in excellent form with his hat trick, and Aguero came so close to getting a second.
As a team we dominated the first half, and in the second we remained a continual threat, despite being down to ten.

Stoke next at ours on Tuesday - looking forward to going to that one :cool:

chris@panteg
29-12-2012, 20:24
Keep up the pressure on utd Chris .

Stratmangler
29-12-2012, 20:41
There's still a long way to go until the end of the season, and we haven't given up yet :eyebrows:

Ashmore
29-12-2012, 21:29
Ahem gentlemen, I'd like to announce that today my team notched up their ninth win out of ten games. :ner:

Up the O's! :eek:

Stratmangler
29-12-2012, 21:44
Ahem gentlemen, I'd like to announce that today my team notched up their ninth win out of ten games. :ner:

Up the O's! :eek:

That's a decent run of results.
Well done Leyton Orient - keep it up and you'll be challenging for promotion :cool:

Ashmore
29-12-2012, 21:51
Thanks Chris, but I fear promotion will prove as elusive as the Olympic stadium... But who knows, maybe we'll get Arsenal in the cup again (and not lose 5:nil in the replay this time). :doh:

Stratmangler
29-12-2012, 21:57
Best of luck against Hull next Saturday.
We play host to Watford, which I'm almost looking forward to :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
10-01-2013, 00:01
Watford was a good afternoon out.
Hospitality was, well, hospitable - I wish it was so civilised every time I go to a game at the Etihad.

I was not surprised to see Mario get an outing either - he made an excellent contribution to the game for the time he played too.

An excellent debut from Marcos Lopes too - to score in your first appearance for the first team must be something special.

Just to put the "fisticuffs" from last week into perspective there's this ...

http://content.mcfc.co.uk/~/media/Images/Home/News/Club%20news/2013/BTS%20galleries%202013/BTS%20training%20gallery%209%20Jan/holding%20image%20for%20gallery.ashx

You won't see the tabloids publishing this one :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
22-01-2013, 21:42
WELL DONE BRADFORD!!!
Enjoy your day out at Wembley - you deserve it.

DanJennings
22-01-2013, 21:47
I am embarrassed to be a villa fan

Stratmangler
22-01-2013, 22:06

It must hurt right now Dan, but you've got to give credit to Bradford.

It's only the 2nd time that a 4th tier club have got to the final in the history of the competition.
That takes some doing!

Marco
22-01-2013, 22:30
Yup, it's good to see the wee 'diddy teams' doing well sometimes. I feel that way now about Rangers, when they win a game in the Third Division....! :D

Marco.

Stratmangler
22-01-2013, 22:34
Yup, it's good to see the wee 'diddy teams' doing well sometimes. I feel that way now about Rangers, when they win a game in the Third Division.... :D

Marco.

NEVER think of Rangers as a diddy team.
They'll be back biting your arse before you know it :eyebrows:

Marco
22-01-2013, 22:46
[Open fact]

...only by that time we'll have won four-in-a-row and be a seasoned Champion's League side, with not only masses of more money than they have, but a quality of 1st team (and squad) that they could only ever dream about, which will ensure that we dominate Scottish football for many years to come!! ;)

[/Close fact]

Marco.

Stratmangler
22-01-2013, 23:00
[Open fact]

...only by that time we'll have won four-in-a-row and be a seasoned Champion's League side, with not only masses of more money than they have, but a quality of 1st team (and squad) that they could only ever dream about, which will ensure that we dominate Scottish football for many years to come!! ;)

[/Close fact]

Marco.

They're (Rangers) runaway leaders of their division - if they can keep it up promotion beckons ;)

Marco
22-01-2013, 23:11
Yes, but only into Division 2. Then they'll have to win that and Division 1, to get back into the SPL, within three years, and by that time Celtic will be stronger than ever (and most likely uncatchable)!

Also, with the standard of squad Rangers have got now, there's no guarantee that they'd win a league such as Division 1, automatically at the first time of asking, as the teams there will be just as good as they are......

Meanwhile, whilst all that's happening, they've still got the upkeep of Ibrox and their fancy training facility, not to mention the costs of security at all their home games to pay for (housing 45,000 fans), with only the income of a lower-league side, so chances are they could go bust again before they get anywhere near the SPL!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Stratmangler
22-01-2013, 23:19
... so chances are they could go bust again before they get anywhere near the SPL!! :eyebrows:

Marco.

I still think the SPL have shot themselves in the foot sticking the knife in :eyebrows:

Marco
22-01-2013, 23:24
I agree, and as you know at the time I wasn't happy about it. However, now I've gotten used to the situation, I can't help having a little chuckle at Rangers' expense...

Also, it's not as disastrous as you might think, as all the other teams in the SPL have raised their game, in the absence of Rangers, and have taken more points off of Celtic than ever, as they know that finishing second now in the league will guarantee them a place in Europe! :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
22-01-2013, 23:25
Whodoyafancy taking the other final spot?
My money's on Swansea.

Alex_UK
26-01-2013, 20:01

Could be worse, you could be a Norwich fan! :doh:

At least you weren't done over by non-league opponents! :(

Still, at least we can concentrate on trying to turn around our recent dire league form now... See you in the relegation battle soon, Dan! :eek:

Stratmangler
27-01-2013, 11:31
Just need Oldham Athletic to dump Liverpool out of the FA Cup now :eyebrows:

I've just realised - Brentford are hosting Chelsea this afternoon too.
C'mon you Bees ....

Stratmangler
27-01-2013, 19:04
Well done Latics - you deserved the victory after such a display of grit and determination.
Best of wishes for Brentford in the replay at Stamford Bridge.

We're at home to Leeds in the next round :eek:

Alex_UK
31-01-2013, 22:01
Transfer window madness, and Beckham is so far the top news story... :rolleyes:

Norwich apparently made several bids for Gary Hooper (sorry Marco!) but looks like he's not for sale - and I am sure our signing of Luciano Becchio from Leeds will be all that Delia has left in her purse! Still, who knows - plenty of twists and turns in the 2 hour madness to come - only in the UK!

Stratmangler
09-02-2013, 21:53
We were shocking today - I've seldom seen such an incompetent display from City in recent times.
Southampton were the best team by far, and deserved the win.

If summat don't change the title is going back across town :eek:

chelsea
09-02-2013, 22:00
To late for that,the title has gone.
By 15 points i'd say.

City haven't been very good all season.

Marco
09-02-2013, 22:40
As you always say, Chris. It's not over until it's over! Is Mancini any good at mind games? ;)

The absense of Rangers from the SPL has, as I first thought, spoiled things for Celtic, as it's just all too easy! That's us 18 points clear now at the top, and we're only into the second week in February... :rolleyes:

Let's hope that we have the distraction of European football, to relieve the predictability (even if it is only the Europa League) for as long as possible. However, wish us luck against Juve in the Champions League, on Tuesday night...

The first game's at home, so if we can keep a clean sheet, I think we've got a chance! :)

Marco.

webby
09-02-2013, 23:02
It's over. Man utd won't throw this away.

My team, saints, we're fantastic today. Totally deserved the win. Our midfield pair of Cork and Schneiderlin made mugs of Toure and Barry.

Stratmangler
09-02-2013, 23:24
It's over. Man utd won't throw this away.

Hmmmmm!!!
I've heard this one before.
As I said earlier, Southampton deserved the win.

After this weekend there are 12 more games to go, and it isn't over until it's over - at the moment the odds are tipped in Manyoo's favour, but that's all, and the fat lady hasn't begun warming up yet :eyebrows:

chelsea
10-02-2013, 00:18
Hmmmmm!!!
I've heard this one before.
As I said earlier, Southampton deserved the win.

After this weekend there are 12 more games to go, and it isn't over until it's over - at the moment the odds are tipped in Manyoo's favour, but that's all, and the fat lady hasn't begun warming up yet :eyebrows:

Would agree normally.
Difference being city look so flat i think now they will have given up on this years title.

They need to buy new players to move forward and probably a new manager.

Stratmangler
10-03-2013, 19:40
Interesting day in the FA Cup today.
The draw for the semi is even more interesting - if The Rags manage to beat Chelsea in the replay then we'll have to beat 'em twice in less than a week.

The fat lady hasn't started warming up yet :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
11-03-2013, 09:59
It doesn't seem likely that Manu will lose the title , but watching the 2nd half against Chelsea yesterday ?

They were made to look a second rate side , dunno though Chris , need some other teams to go at em , easier said than done .

Stratmangler
08-04-2013, 21:09
Good result tonight :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

Don't think it has derailed The Rags campaign, but pride has definitely been restored.
Looking forward to going to Wembley this weekend :D

chelsea
08-04-2013, 21:41
To little far to late by city.
If they had put that much effort into a lot of there other games they could have kept the title.

Stratmangler
08-04-2013, 21:43
Looking forward to kicking Chelsea out of the FA Cup nonetheless :eyebrows:

chelsea
08-04-2013, 21:51
Good chance as we don't have a great record with you this season.
If we buy 3 or 4 decent players in the summer think we have a very good chance of taking the title next season.

Stratmangler
08-04-2013, 21:52
If we buy 3 or 4 decent players in the summer think we have a very good chance of taking the title next season.

So did we, only this season ;)

chelsea
08-04-2013, 21:54
So did we, only this season ;)

Maybe you should play them then.:)

Stratmangler
08-04-2013, 21:56
Maybe you should play them then.:)

One of them was on the losing side tonight :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
08-04-2013, 22:15
The truth is we were sussed by other teams in the Premier League right from the start of the season.
Tactically the team was more than reluctant to learn new ways - Mancini was wise to the need to be able to adapt seamlessly to the demands of any opposition, but the team were slow to pick up on the urgency of the situation.

We were also seriously hampered by the injury to Sergio Aguero in the first game of the season - it was a pretty innocuous challenge made around 15 minutes into the game against Southampton, but the way Aguero landed you just knew that things were serious.
And the season fell apart from there.

The title is almost certainly going across the city into another borough.
Well done United.
We'll be back next season to take it back :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
13-04-2013, 22:11
Well done Wigan - through to your first FA Cup final.
You were the better team by far today, and deserved the win.

My son and I have a long day tomorrow, travelling down to Wembley to see City take on Chelsea.
I'm hoping that we make the trip again in a month's time too :cool:

Alex_UK
13-04-2013, 22:18
The way our season has gone, I really won't be surprised if it comes down to the last game of the season (league) and our old nemesis of Man City do for the Canaries... 3 goals conceded in 7 minutes, FFS... :doh:

Stratmangler
13-04-2013, 22:27
The way our season has gone, I really won't be surprised if it comes down to the last game of the season (league) and our old nemesis of Man City do for the Canaries... 3 goals conceded in 7 minutes, FFS... :doh:

For better or worse I'll be there to witness whatever unfolds.
We haven't got "the shoulder of Mario" to rely on any more :eyebrows:

I'm hoping that Stoke do what they're good at and provide stern opposition to visiting teams.
A win against Manyoo tomorrow should set a decent mood to proceedings "darn sarf".
A win would also do Stoke's confidence a world of good, as well as giving them vital survival points.

Stratmangler
15-04-2013, 00:00
I've just landed at home from Wembley.
I'm tired and very pleased that we managed to hold off a Chelsea onslaught in the later stages of the game.

All in all it has been a good day :)

Marco
15-04-2013, 00:29
Well done, Chris. Good result - looks like there may be some cheer for you this season after all! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
15-04-2013, 00:37
Well done, Chris. Good result - looks like there may be some cheer for you this season after all! :cool:

Marco.

Aye, there's another trip to Wembley for the final, and I don't for one second think that Wigan will be a pushover.

Funnily enough we're playing Wigan on Wednesday night at the Etihad - I'll be there too.
Wigan need a win to get the points to haul themselves out of the relegation zone, and we need the win to maintain the gap between ourselves and Manyoo and Arsenal/Chelsea respectively.

Stratmangler
16-04-2013, 21:27
I'd like to extend a warm welcome to Cardiff City into the Premier League for next season.
Congratulations on your promotion - may you find your feet quickly :cool:

Marco
16-04-2013, 21:41
Aye, right enough, if you find those, they might come in handy!! :D

Marco.

Stratmangler
16-04-2013, 21:54
Aye, right enough, if you find those, they might come in handy!! :D

Marco.

The handys are at the end of the sleevys - any fule no that :D :D

Alex_UK
17-04-2013, 17:23
Well at least the Canaries youth team are showing the first team how it's done - congrats on making the FA Youth Cup Final (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22183888) - Liverpool or Chelsea in the final (most likely Chelsea unless Liverpool can overcome a 2-0 lead in the second leg.) Let's just hope the main team can stay up...

Alex_UK
04-05-2013, 18:52
Shitting myself now with 2 games to go... (well done Dan/Villa... bastards!)

I really hope it doesn't come down to the last game of the season for us but it is looking likely as I predicted it might... :eek:

Stratmangler
04-05-2013, 19:19
Shitting myself now with 2 games to go... (well done Dan/Villa... bastards!)

I really hope it doesn't come down to the last game of the season for us but it is looking likely as I predicted it might... :eek:

Are you coming to the match Alex?

Alex_UK
04-05-2013, 19:40
Unfortunately (fortunately?) we're off on hols* that week, so no. (*Hopefully near a bar!)

Stratmangler
04-05-2013, 19:44
Which other team are you playing in your remaining fixtures?
We've still got 3 league games - West Brom (this Tuesday night), Reading (Wednesday week), and of course Norwich.

Alex_UK
04-05-2013, 19:47
West Brom - doable, but not on our current form... Although most of the teams around us are equally as shite, so perhaps we should all just draw lots! ;)

Stratmangler
04-05-2013, 19:59
I'd like to see a better showing from City on Tuesday night, but I have a suspicion that many of our players have their thoughts on Wembley next Saturday.

DanJennings
05-05-2013, 07:32
We're not safe yet, but it's a big step forward.
The last 8 games: 5 wins and a draw. Can't be bad! Especially since the 2 we lost were against Man U and Liverpool

DanJennings
05-05-2013, 07:42
We've got Chelsea at home next and Wigan away last day of the season. If we get anything out of either I think we're safe.

DanJennings
05-05-2013, 16:58
Well that was a boring super sunday until the last 5 minutes!

chris@panteg
08-05-2013, 08:31
Just heard fergie has called it a day , what a record is all I can say , who the hell is going to follow him ?

Alex_UK
08-05-2013, 08:52
Sir Alex Ferguson - 4th May:
He said: "I certainly don't have any plans at the moment to walk away from what I believe will be something special." :lol:

David Moyes is apparently odds on favourite, is out of contract and has delayed talks with Everton, according to the BBC... Still, very big shoes to fill!

chelsea
08-05-2013, 09:32
Will the next manager be given 7 years to win a title?
How times have changed.

chelsea
11-05-2013, 18:17
Well done Wigan...More hungry for it than city.

Alex_UK
11-05-2013, 18:22
Chris (Strat) isn't going to be happy... Neither would I be, if I was a City fan... Well done to Wigan - as a Canary fan, I'm just hoping that they've run out of steam now...

chris@panteg
11-05-2013, 18:41
Wigan wanted.it more ! Well done to em , city looked sloppy .

gariusmacus
11-05-2013, 18:44
Way to go Wigan....... please don't get too p*ssed tho need you to win on Tuesday !

snapper
11-05-2013, 19:33
Wigan's starting XI cost: £11M

City's starting XI cost: £215M

:stalks:

Advert going in Mondays Manchester Evening News.

:lol:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/535946_451520234927759_2046638795_n.jpg

:D

Marco
11-05-2013, 19:44
Hehehe... Yer a naughty wee zoomer! :lol:

Marco.

Stratmangler
12-05-2013, 02:15
Well done Wigan.
You were the better team on the day, and showed the greater desire to win.

Marco
12-05-2013, 06:59
Hard one to take, Chris. I feel for ya!

In retrospect, do you think that selling Balotelli was a mistake, or rather, not replacing him with someone else of his ilk, was? When they needed it, there was no 'game changer' on the bench for City, which IMO, coupled with, bizarrely, their lack of desire to win (compared with that of Wigan) led to their downfall... Why were City so jaded looking, when they should've been totally self-motivated in ensuring that they won a trophy this season?

Had Man Utd been in that position (needing to win the cup to ensure that they won a trophy this season), they'd definitely have won the game. You could see how determined they were to win back the league this season, for example, perhaps because Fergie knew he was going...

Would you give Mancini another season in charge? Perhaps the job of winning the title will be easier now, after Ferguson's departure, given that Moyes will need time to adjust, and that will give Mancini more breathing space?

My outside tip? Watch out for Liverpool next season!

As for my team, we beat St Johnstone 4-0 yesterday and were presented with the SPL trophy, so I'm delighted, even if the win is a little hollow, in the absence of Rangers... If we can beat Hibs in the cup final at the end of the month, a double, coupled with finishing in the last 16 of the Champions League, will make it a great season :cool:

Marco.

DanJennings
12-05-2013, 07:26
I think Chelsea next season personally. They have the best defense in the league and by far the strongest midfield. All they need is a quality consistent striker (Torres is a joke and Ba just isnt good enough) If they get Mourinho and he brings in someone like Falcao or even Rooney they will be unbeatable

For now though I'm just praying Arsenal get a result against Wigan. I cant see us beating them on the last day

Alex_UK
12-05-2013, 07:42
For now though I'm just praying Arsenal get a result against Wigan.

Me too!

DanJennings
12-05-2013, 07:59
Me too!

Honestly I think both of our teams will be fine, it'll either be Wigan or Newcastle or maybe Sunderland

Audioman
12-05-2013, 09:36
I don't see Norwich or Newcastle getting another point based on current form. If Wigan can get a draw at Arsenal and beat Villa one of them will go down.

Stratmangler
12-05-2013, 12:26
Hard one to take, Chris. I feel for ya!

In retrospect, do you think that selling Balotelli was a mistake, or rather, not replacing him with someone else of his ilk, was? When they needed it, there was no 'game changer' on the bench for City, which IMO, coupled with, bizarrely, their lack of desire to win (compared with that of Wigan) led to their downfall... Why were City so jaded looking, when they should've been totally self-motivated in ensuring that they won a trophy this season?

Had Man Utd been in that position (needing to win the cup to ensure that they won a trophy this season), they'd definitely have won the game. You could see how determined they were to win back the league this season, for example, perhaps because Fergie knew he was going...

Would you give Mancini another season in charge? Perhaps the job of winning the title will be easier now, after Ferguson's departure, given that Moyes will need time to adjust, and that will give Mancini more breathing space?

My outside tip? Watch out for Liverpool next season!

As for my team, we beat St Johnstone 4-0 yesterday and were presented with the SPL trophy, so I'm delighted, even if the win is a little hollow, in the absence of Rangers... If we can beat Hibs in the cup final at the end of the month, a double, coupled with finishing in the last 16 of the Champions League, will make it a great season :cool:

Marco.

To be honest Balotelli's departure had little effect on results - he was not performing, end of story.
The first game this season where he put on a decent performance was, ironically, his last for us, and even more ironically it was an FA Cup game (v Watford).
It's a pity that the shenanigans that preceded his departure took so long to unfold - if things had been done and dusted at the opening of the transfer window then there might have been time to bring in another striker.

That sheer will and desire to win that the team showed so many times last season has all but gone AWOL this season - why, I don't know.
It's been fantastic when they've pulled it together, but sadly it's been a rare occurrence.

Should Mancini stay?
Yes.
Will he get the support of the owner and the board?
I don't know, and I won't be surprised if there's an announcement next week that he's been given the boot.

Shift of tack - well done Celtic on winning the SPL.
I think Neil Lennon has showed how much it means to him http://www.insideworldsoccer.com/2013/05/neil-lennon-gives-league-medal-to-fan-kathleen-mcgovern.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+insideWorldSoccer+%28inside+W orld+Soccer%29

You don't get given the title in any league in the world - you have to perform consistently, but when your biggest adversary has had their hands tied, been stabbed in the back and kicked when they're down, and sent down to the bottom of the heap the job is made easier.

Alex_UK
12-05-2013, 15:56
4 - 0 - get in! :)

DanJennings
12-05-2013, 17:10
I don't see Norwich or Newcastle getting another point based on current form. If Wigan can get a draw at Arsenal and beat Villa one of them will go down.

I think you were wrong mate!

Wins for both, both of them safe. As a Villa fan I'm getting nervous again

twickers
12-05-2013, 17:39
Villa will only need a draw against wigan even if wigan beat arsenal. Easy :)

chelsea
12-05-2013, 17:43
Wigan have to beat arsenal to stay up.
Good wins for nowich and newcastle.

Stratmangler
12-05-2013, 17:43
Easy :)

I beg to differ :doh:

DanJennings
12-05-2013, 17:45
I beg to differ :doh:

Yep, and Wigan always bloody beat us.

No Benteke either :(

I'm just praying Arsenal do the business

Alex_UK
12-05-2013, 17:48
The good thing is Arsenal need the win to secure Champion's league after Spurs won today, so they won't just be making up the numbers. Looking likely that for the first time in history the FA Cup winners will be relegated from the top flight in the same season - but you never know!

Audioman
12-05-2013, 17:56

Football is getting totally unpredictable - guess I have to eat my words. Now it's Villa, Soton and Fulham back in danger.

Marco
12-05-2013, 18:16
Is it fun flirting with relegation every season, as a fan of a 'diddy team'? Serious question. I'm completely unfamiliar with the concept, so find it impossible to relate to :)

Marco.

twickers
12-05-2013, 18:18
Why not Celtic join the premier league then you'll find out ;)

Stratmangler
12-05-2013, 18:24
Why not Celtic join the premier league then you'll find out ;)

:rfl:

Marco
12-05-2013, 18:41
Hahaha, Paul - you're too predictable! :lol:

In all seriousness, I don't think that would happen. I've love Celtic to join the Premiership, and truth is, they be an asset. If we can beat Barcelona and finish in the last 16 of the Champions League, I don't think we'd have too much trouble with some of the 'wee diddy teams' in the Premiership! :D

Realistically, we'd be aiming for finishing around mid-table, in the first couple of seasons, before the effect kicked in of getting (£60m?) every season (i.e. serious buying power for top players) for just being in that league, and sell-out home games of 65,000 every week!! ;)

The fact is, if Celtic had access to the same money and earning potential as Premiership teams, by being in the Premiership, with their massive (worldwide) fan base, in time, there would be no reason why Celtic couldn't compete at the same level as any other top team there.

Marco.

Alex_UK
12-05-2013, 18:57
Is it fun flirting with relegation every season, as a fan of a 'diddy team'? Serious question. I'm completely unfamiliar with the concept, so find it impossible to relate to :)

It's horrible! Been feeling queasy all day, and nail biting when the actual match came - then ecstatic as the goals started coming... even at 2-0 I was still not confident...

Now, it is as if we'd won the title! I'm just so glad we get a 3rd Premier League season, and £50 Million is being invested over the summer. We've got a blinder of a signing joining in July (Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel for £8.5m from Sporting Lisbon - a proven goal scorer, which we desperately need) so hopefully we will be able to build on the great early form we showed this season and bolster the squad with some other signings - that's the difference between a big club and a "wee diddy" team - the big teams have the luxury of a much bigger pool of players whereas the likes of Norwich have to rely on a core number to play every 90 minutes of every game - aside from the injuries, come mid-season they need a break.

I can't wait for 2013/14 already!

Marco
12-05-2013, 19:13
Nice one, Alex. I'm pleased for ya. You've answered the question eloquently, whilst ironically also highlighting the HUGE gulf in finances between what even a 'wee diddy team' in the Premiership gets, compared with the SPL champions! ;)

How I'd love us to be able to sign a player for £8.5m and/or receive a £50m investment.....

Truth is, Celtic are a big fish in a very small pond, and won't grow from 'tadpole' status (and realise their full potential) until they get to swim with the big boys. Currently, they (my team) are victims of geography.

Marco.

Alex_UK
12-05-2013, 21:40
Whether or not you are a Man Yoo fan, you do have to admire Sir Alex - 26 years in the job, 13 top-flight titles, the Treble - etc. - I doubt there will be a more successful long-standing manager in my lifetime - at any club. I hope The Boss has a long and happy retirement.

chris@panteg
12-05-2013, 22:03
Whether or not you are a Man Yoo fan, you do have to admire Sir Alex - 26 years in the job, 13 top-flight titles, the Treble - etc. - I doubt there will be a more successful long-standing manager in my lifetime at any club. I hope The Boss has a long and happy retirement.

Yep , I've always had a grudging respect for sir Alex , but an incredible career !!
And after learning about the chancellor's rather unsuccessful attempt at getting his vote , dare I say it but I've got a bit of affection for the guy , anyone who tells Osborne to piss off is alright in my book :)

Alex_UK
13-05-2013, 22:35
Well at least the Canaries youth team are showing the first team how it's done - congrats on making the FA Youth Cup Final (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22183888)

Congrats to the young 'uns on winning the final (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22519280) - beating Chelsea in the second leg tonight and 4-2 on aggregate - a good couple of days for NCFC! :)

DanJennings
14-05-2013, 06:04
So Mancini's officially gone then... OK he's had a bit of a crap season, but I don't think he deserved to be sacked

Marco
14-05-2013, 06:17
I think that Man City are one of those clubs now, like Man Utd (and possibly Chelsea), where finishing a season without a trophy is considered as a disaster, and totally unacceptable, regardless at the end of how close the club got to winning something.

For me, City's poor show in the Champions League acted as a major catalyst for Mancini's dismissal. You can't spend the sort of money City have on players and not get to at least the last 16 or quarter finals. That, and the team's totally inept performance in the FA cup final, were his downfall.

We'll see what the new guy can do. Anyone know much about him? One thing's for sure, next season in the Premiership is going to be bloody interesting!! :exactly:

Marco.

StanleyB
14-05-2013, 06:32
A team owner can spend as much as he wants, but that won't guarantee success. You can't buy your way to a trophy in football. It requires skill and luck. These rich foreign owners are accustomed to buy whatever they want. But stuffing a team with overpriced maradonas is not helping. As Rooney is finding to his cost Van Persie is far cheaper and better.

DanJennings
19-05-2013, 11:39
Nearly time for a new thread.... just today's games and the champions league final to go.

I'm glad Villa are safe and that our future doesn't hang on the last game, but it does seem a bit of an anticlimax after last season's last day drama at the top and bottom of the table. Just a battle between Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham for 3rd/4th/5th.

I personally hope that Chelsea draw and Arsenal win so we get a playoff!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22576864

My probably inaccurate predictions are:
Villa to win today (now there's no pressure)
Chelsea 3rd, Arsenal 4th, Tottenham 5th
Bayern to win the CL final.

Alex_UK
19-05-2013, 14:42
Well I'm certainly glad we don't have to get anything from today's game, even though the Canaries are going to spank Man City! :lol:

But you're right, a bit of an anticlimax, but not having to go through a relegation showdown Sunday I can live with!

Alex_UK
19-05-2013, 16:56
MOTD will be action packed this evening! On The Ball City! :) See, we'd have been fine anyway!

DanJennings
19-05-2013, 17:02
MOTD will be action packed this evening! On The Ball City! :) See, we'd have been fine anyway!

Bet you're chuffed mate.

I can't wait to see the West Brom - Man U madness.

The Villa game was a bit disappointing. I have no idea why Paul Lambert doesn't play N'Zogbia, he's one of our best players, and he's a real gamechanger. We should have put him on instead of Dawkins

Stratmangler
19-05-2013, 19:30
Well done Norwich.
The result sums up our week :doh:

DanJennings
23-05-2013, 17:14
This is my favourite thing today

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/mick.gif

StanleyB
24-05-2013, 14:09
They are looking to take on Hughes who was sacked from a side who got relegated, or Martinez who's side got relegated - after letting go a manager who never got relegated :mental:.

Stratmangler
24-05-2013, 14:39
They are looking to take on Hughes who was sacked from a side who got relegated, or Martinez who's side got relegated - after letting go a manager who never got relegated :mental:.

It's the silly season.
City sacked Mancini for "failing to hit targets", yet City finished 2nd in the league, which to my way of thinking (and just about every other City supporter I know) is not failure.

If our nearest rivals had taken the same attitude last season then Ferguson wouldn't have been around to announce his retirement.

The Stoke thing is just another inexplicable situation :mental:

Marco
24-05-2013, 14:50
City sacked Mancini for "failing to hit targets", yet City finished 2nd in the league, which to my way of thinking (and just about every other City supporter I know) is not failure.

Yup, Chris, but I guess that a trophy-less season is, in the eyes of the shareholders...

Man City, given their current status as a football club and the amount of money that the club have spent on players, would be expected to challenge every season for the Premiership title, finishing no lower than in the top three, and they would also be expected to reach, at the very minimum, the last 16 of the Champions League, together with getting to, at least, the semi-finals of both domestic cups.

Furthermore, in the event of a league title not being won, then a domestic cup win, at the minimum, would be considered mandatory. Those are the types of targets Man Utd will have for next season, so if you wish to compete with them, mate, don't baulk at the manager being given 'challenging' targets to meet! ;)

Ultimately, Mancini was sacked because of his team's poor showing in Europe and pityful display in the FA Cup final.

Marco.

chelsea
24-05-2013, 14:51

If i was a supporter of stoke i'd rather go down with martinez style of football than pullis's.
Imo he brought nothing to the prem.

Macca
25-05-2013, 10:37
If i was a supporter of stoke i'd rather go down with martinez style of football than pullis's.
Imo he brought nothing to the prem.

He brought Stoke to the premiership and that was something most stoke fans thought would never happen. Sadly it has only taken them 5 seasons to forget that achievement and now they want a top 5 finish and Champions league participation. They were also fed up with what was perceived as a negative strategy i.e get 40 points and stay up - which IMO was exactly the right strategy. The club is healthy financially but it will take many more seasons of premiership money to build a side that can compete in Europe. I also have an inkling of who the new manager will be but I aint saying - got a bet on though :eyebrows:

Marco
25-05-2013, 10:39
Yup, Chris, but I guess that a trophy-less season is, in the eyes of the shareholders...

Man City, given their current status as a football club and the amount of money that the club have spent on players, would be expected to challenge every season for the Premiership title, finishing no lower than in the top three, and they would also be expected to reach, at the very minimum, the last 16 of the Champions League, together with getting to, at least, the semi-finals of both domestic cups.

Furthermore, in the event of a league title not being won, then a domestic cup win, at the minimum, would be considered mandatory. Those are the types of targets Man Utd will have for next season, so if you wish to compete with them, mate, don't baulk at the manager being given 'challenging' targets to meet! ;)

Ultimately, Mancini was sacked because of his team's poor showing in Europe and pityful display in the FA Cup final.

Marco.

No thoughts on this Chris? :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
25-05-2013, 11:39
No thoughts on this Chris? :)

Marco.

Only that by the criteria you've stipulated we should have seen Ferguson removed from his position at the end of the 2011/2012 season, and his recent retirement would not have occurred because he wouldn't have been there.

As a reminder, Utd won nothing that season, and didn't get to any domestic cup semi finals.
They didn't make the knockout stage of CL either.
And Utd sat tight with their manager.

We won't see Moyes removed either, so long as he can keep Utd up near the top of the tree.
If their fortunes hit the bottom of the table you'd expect there to be some kind of reaction, but so long as they're competitive Moyes will be given time.

Which brings things back round to Mancini being sacked.
Despite all of the negatives of the season, City finished 2nd in the league, which is in itself a success.

Since Mancini has been at the helm the lowest finish we've had is 5th, and that was the season where he took over from Mark Hughes.

The following season an FA Cup and 3rd place.
Season after that a title.

That is a decent track record by anyone's standards.

In City history he's been the most successful manager since Joe Mercer, and, sadly, he's been sacked because of a "disappointing" season.
We finished 2nd in the league FFS!
He should have been given another season in my opinion, and I'm sad to see him go.

The supporters are grateful for the success he brought, even if the owners and board seem less so.

Stratmangler
25-05-2013, 11:47
Just found this, and it's hilarious :mental:
Scroll down to the bottom paragraphs http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22650856

Marco
26-05-2013, 15:59
Only that by the criteria you've stipulated we should have seen Ferguson removed from his position at the end of the 2011/2012 season, and his recent retirement would not have occurred because he wouldn't have been there.

As a reminder, Utd won nothing that season, and didn't get to any domestic cup semi finals.
They didn't make the knockout stage of CL either.
And Utd sat tight with their manager.

We won't see Moyes removed either, so long as he can keep Utd up near the top of the tree.
If their fortunes hit the bottom of the table you'd expect there to be some kind of reaction, but so long as they're competitive Moyes will be given time.

Which brings things back round to Mancini being sacked.
Despite all of the negatives of the season, City finished 2nd in the league, which is in itself a success.

Since Mancini has been at the helm the lowest finish we've had is 5th, and that was the season where he took over from Mark Hughes.

The following season an FA Cup and 3rd place.
Season after that a title.

That is a decent track record by anyone's standards.

In City history he's been the most successful manager since Joe Mercer, and, sadly, he's been sacked because of a "disappointing" season.
We finished 2nd in the league FFS!
He should have been given another season in my opinion, and I'm sad to see him go.

The supporters are grateful for the success he brought, even if the owners and board seem less so.

Fair enough, Chris. I'm delighted, as Celtic beat Hibs 3-0 today in the Scottish Cup Final at Hampden, so that's us won the league and cup double! :yay: :yay:

Between that, and finishing in the last 16 of the Champions League, it's been a great season for Celtic. Bring on next season!!

Marco.