PDA

View Full Version : Hum from Rega Dac

Giubanix
17-07-2012, 11:30
I was wondering if anyone owns, or has owned, a Rega Dac that has a quiet hum coming from (presumably) the transformer inside the unit. I never really gave it much thought, but it's made the noise since I got it, about 2 months ago and it's loud enough to hear from perhaps a couple of feet away. Not really a problem, since I'm never going to be listening to music crouched down 18 inches away from the Dac, and even pretty quiet music would obliterate the noise from the unit anyway.

I hadn't been leaving the dac switched on permanently, until last week, when I decided just to leave it on 24/7 to see if I could detect any difference in sound quality. Last night I decided that it sounded the same to me whether it was on all the time, or turned off every night. When I went over to switch it off, I thought that the hum seemed a bit louder than usual, which made me wonder if it's normal or not.

mido
17-07-2012, 11:47
Hello,

yes, mine did the exact same thing, so much so that I contacted Rega to ask if it was normal. Whilst I didn't get a definitive answer I was assured that it was probably nothing to be concerned about and likely something to do with the strength of the electricity supply to my building.

Frank

Giubanix
17-07-2012, 12:11
Good, so it's probably not that unusual then. Thanks for the info Frank. ;)

mido
17-07-2012, 12:22
No problem.

I forgot to mention that my mate came over with a voltmeter shortly afterwards and the figure obtained from the electricity socket feeding my electronics was higher than is usual.

It was higher than the national average and higher than the maximum figure that the Rega representative told me that they work with at their factory.

Giubanix
17-07-2012, 12:47
I might need to find out what the voltage actually is from the socket just out of curiosity. Been running the hifi from the same socket for years now, with no problems, but I'd quite like to know if the current is higher than it should be.

mido
17-07-2012, 12:49
Oh, I didn't mean to concern you, it is not likely to be unsafe or higher than it should be.

If anything, from my understanding, it means that the supply is good.

DSJR
17-07-2012, 13:07
You bought this item from a dealer, right?

Legally, the FIRST thing you should do is address your concerns to them, and get them to contact Rega on your behalf - the contract is between you and the supplying dealer. if the dealer shrugs your concern off and doesn't seem able to help you, THEN contact Rega yourself. Actually, Rega are pretty good with end-users, but the dealer should know since they are the ones who sold it to you.

If this transformer hum comes and goes, it could well be a mains issue and Naim owners of old should be very well aware of this. If you have a tendency to higher than average mains all the time, what about the local electricity supplier, as they have a duty of care to supply you with power of the correct specification. At the end of the day, if Rega have enough complaints/concerns about humming DAC's, then it's up to them to either uprate the transformer used, or change it for a quieter one - IMO of course, but SPEAK TO YOUR DEALER FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Giubanix
17-07-2012, 13:19
Yes, the dac was new from a dealer. The hum doesn't come and go, it's been exactly the same since the first time it was switched on. It may, or may not, have been a bit louder when I leaned down to switch it off last night - it could easily just have been my imagination coupled with the fact that it was 1.30am, so obviously the surroundings were pretty quiet.

It's not something I'm overly concerned about, I just wondered if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

DSJR
17-07-2012, 13:22
The dealer should be told and, depending on age, compared with another example to see if they're both the same. If they are not the same and the other is quiet(er), then I feel an exchange could be in order, since the transformer in yours was "faulty" from the time it was made. A dealer should be given a chance to fix it though, and if Rega want it back for examination, I suggest it be double-boxed (to preserve the main box) and returned to Rega for examination. The dealer should be able to organise this (the sending back part)...

RichB
17-07-2012, 13:35
Not heard any humming from mine, too busy blasting tunes when its switched on but I'll be checking tonight.

FWIW I have mine (and the Brio R) plugged into a Tacima mains conditioner.

Tim
17-07-2012, 13:55
I have had a Rega DAC for sometime now (just over a year I think), I have never had any humming noise coming from the unit. As Dave says, I would refer this back to the dealer.

Giubanix
17-07-2012, 14:13
I have mine (and the Brio R) plugged into a Tacima mains conditioner.

I have mine into a Tacima mains conditioner too. I suspect that it's most likely a higher than average voltage from the mains. Lightbulbs don't seem to last very long in the house, which has often made me think that they're being supplied with too much voltage.

Can't say I've noticed a transformer hum from any other equipment plugged into the same outlet. No noise from my Cyrus amp which has been supplied from the same socket for the last 10 years.

I'll probably give the dealer a call first chance I get, just to see what they say. Like I said before, it's absolutely not an issue in terms of everyday use, since I can't hear it unless I go right over and lean close to it. As long as it's not a sign that it's likely to up in a puff of smoke, I'm not really bothered enough to want to send it back.

mido
17-07-2012, 14:44
Like I said before, it's absolutely not an issue in terms of everyday use, since I can't hear it unless I go right over and lean close to it. As long as it's not a sign that it's likely to up in a puff of smoke, I'm not really bothered enough to want to send it back.

Those were exactly my thoughts on the matter.

Clive
17-07-2012, 14:53
It is most likely simply a noisy transformer which can be replaced by Rega with a better example of the same transformer. It could also be dirty mains (possibly DC on the mains). Try the DAC on someone else's mains, somewhere at least a few miles away from your home.

hifi_dave
17-07-2012, 17:01
All the Rega electronice I have had through my hands has been quiet - but - it depends on the quality of the mains, your environment and how a little hum affects you.

For instance - equipment I thought was quiet when in my last shop, now appears to be a bit noisy. This is because we were on a High Street but we are now out in the sticks where it is deathly quiet. Any small noise is far more apparent.

Another thing is that you have heard the noise and are now listening for it.

Best bet is to take your DAC back to the dealer and compare it with their demo model and/or borrow their's and use it at home. Then you will know for certain.

Giubanix
17-07-2012, 17:10
Thanks for all the replies and advice. ;)