PDA

View Full Version : Album Club: Week 50: 17.07.12: Aya - Strange Flower (2004)

osvaldo
17-07-2012, 01:52
Album Club: Week 50: 17.07.12: Aya - Strange Flower (2004) (CD)

http://a3.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/011/Music/y2004/m05/d05/h12/s05.ggvfvbgh.600x600-75.jpg

Spotify:
http://open.spotify.com/album/4i0U6o0BTgKeLcBYUWsSMG

It's also on Grooveshark, but fewer tracks. You can see it here (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Strange+Flower/278320)

Aya's Wiki page is here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysa_Aya_Trenier)

This is one of my favorite albums. Every now and then, whenever I am looking through my library I end up playing this album. It's not new, and if you like it there are the other artist that record on the same label (Naked Music) - the likes of Blue Six, Lisa Shaw, Gaelle, etc. I do recomend a listen to the others as well. Just look for Naked Music.
This is a soft, yet energetic (groovy, catchy) album. The kind of electronic chill that leaves you tapping your feet and moving your head. Put this on your Hi-Fi, sit back and have a listen.

Alex_UK
17-07-2012, 07:10
Good choice Osvaldo - I have this but not played it in a while - I'll look forward to a fresh listen. :)

osvaldo
18-07-2012, 19:42
I guess my voting option number 1 out of 10 should say: Osvaldo, you suck! :doh:

:D

Quick Alex, save me. Tell me you found the disc:scratch:

Alex_UK
18-07-2012, 20:08
:lol:

Come on folks, it's not that bad - honest! (Well, better than Britney! :D)

Tim
18-07-2012, 20:10
OK, OK . . . it's going on in a minute.

As soon as Sophie Zelmani has finished doing her thing ;)

Tim
18-07-2012, 20:44
Not the type of music I listen to, but I can see its appeal for some, its just not for me....

I'm a bit pop and electronica shy I'm afraid ;)

John
18-07-2012, 21:14
It best if I do not vote not rsomething I can enjoy

synsei
18-07-2012, 21:21
Hi Osvaldo, I'll get around to listening to this tomorrow, kids are in bed now and my current headphone rig won't do it justice. I did have a quick flick through the tracks on my laptop (it's got a tiny subwoofer so it sounds areet for a lappy) and it is right up my street. Looking forward to hearing it on the big rig ;)

Martinh
18-07-2012, 22:14
Hi Osvaldo,

I really like it, although its a little bit laid back, even for me!

Sounds very good indeed through the Neats and I especially like the bass rhythm and her sultry voice.

We've got some friends coming around for a BBQ at the w/e and I might just put this on. On the hifi, not the BBQ :lol:

Nice one, 8/10 for me,

Stratmangler
18-07-2012, 22:58
It's alright if you like elevator music :eyebrows:

Martinh
19-07-2012, 00:24
Actually, this could be the perfect music for those cold, wet summer nights, spent in front of the fire with the wife :eyebrows:

Move over Barry White, you're fired! :lol:

osvaldo
19-07-2012, 15:57
Hi. It's nice to see that more people are playing the album.
Synsei let me know when you play it on the HiFi. Try song Nr7.
Martin, I'm glad you're enjoying it. If you want more of the same but maybe a tad more powerful try Lisa Shaw - Cherry (2005).

Alex_UK
19-07-2012, 17:06
If you want more of the same but maybe a tad more powerful try Lisa Shaw - Cherry (2005).

Now this one is new to me - liking it so far. :)

http://open.spotify.com/album/0SiZMJAnakPN9WQ5qFwyD3

synsei
19-07-2012, 19:46
What can I say about this beautifully produced album? Well, it really is rather good. After cueing it up on Spotify I gently slipped into track one, 'Looking for the sun', as one would slip into a nice warm bath, this is definitely an album to relax to. Track by track I found myself enjoying it all the more and as I write I am listening to it for the third time today. I'd like to wax lyrical about it but truly, I am far too chilled to even bother so if you'll excuse me. I am going sup from my glass of Cognac, lie back, close my eyes and let these glorious tunes wash over me... :D

MartinT
19-07-2012, 21:09
Nice mood music. A tad upbeat compared with Sade but it's in a similar vein. 6/10 but only because it's more background for me than a serious listen.

osvaldo
20-07-2012, 17:12
synsei, your words where too beautiful I don't know what to say :youtheman: - Enjoy It! I never tried it with Cognac (mostly beer or whisky) but it should be quite delicious I think :cool:

Alex, Cherry is a masterpiece... deserves to be played LOUD :D try track 12

Really nice to hear that more people are having fun with the Album suggestion.

Anyway, it's also worth mentioning that before I selected Aya as the Album for this week, I wanted to go for something African as I'd promised Martinh but it simply wasn't available on Spotify and even Youtube had little to show. "Zonke - Ina Ethe (2011)" was the album - It's also quite nice and if you stumble upon it it's a worthy listen, give it a try!

Bazil
27-07-2012, 18:03
Really unfair of me to comment because this is so far off my music radar, nothing personal Osvaldo obviously, but I hate it.
To put things in context if Sade was doing a gig on my back lawn I'd pull the curtains and watch Eastenders which I hate big time.

RichB
28-07-2012, 12:31
Gets an 8 from me. I'm back at the ranch this weekend chilling with me wife and this is providing a nice soundtrack to the sunny weather and chilled out vibe I'm after. Was unfamilair with the artiste before hearing this but think I'll be playing this again when the old currant bun shows his face!

Martinh
04-08-2012, 15:45
Hi Osvaldo,

I've been listening to this again this afternoon, so it must be a good one :)

Now listening to Lisa Shaw.

Cheers,

The Grand Wazoo
04-08-2012, 18:19
It's not for me I'm afraid.

Barry
26-10-2012, 00:50
Typical chill-out music: inoffensive, smooth and anodyne. Another Sade wanabee. Not quite "lift music" but getting there.

Why is it that on several of the 4-5 minute tracks does it thke a whole minute before Aya starts to sing (invariably through a voice processer)?

Pleasant enough, but not really for me. 4/10