PDA

View Full Version : Ariston RD 40

Tor
16-07-2012, 22:43
Ariston RD 40: what do you think about it, any good?
What to pay?
Tor

northwest
17-07-2012, 00:59
Ariston RD 40: what do you think about it, any good?
What to pay?
Tor

Well, it looks a little different and Has questionable suspension in the legs but it can be tweaked. Sort of you either love it or hate it component. I would buy one given the opportunity, but then I am always up for a "work in progress" :lol:

Oh, about £175 seems to me from historical (average) ebay sales. But it is my experience that when you want one you will pay top dollar and when you sell it you will get peanuts.

StanleyB
17-07-2012, 06:47
I redesigned the legs on mine and had a local machine shop make them up for me. But I ended up selling mine for £250 after a customer bugged me for it.
The one with variable speed switch on the front is the best one to get, but they are rare as hen's teeth. Even more obscure is the turntable dome shaped cover. More chances of seeing a flying pig than one of those covers. For a version with variable speed switch and dome I would quite happily pay £300 if it is in good nick.

DSJR
17-07-2012, 07:26
Just check the state of the main bearing. At this time, Ariston claimed to have more accurate machines than Linn, but the quality of the steel was suspect on some spindles and Ariston took to chrome plating them - fine until the plating wore off...

Me? I'd rather have a Thorens 160 Super myself, or a Systemdek, or a pre SL1200mk2 Techie properly mounted...