PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers Denys Trickett?

walpurgis
15-07-2012, 23:08
Denys Trickett ran a small used Hi-Fi emporium in Bell Street off the Edgware Road in London from the seventies to the late nineties. His stock was mostly what would these days be called classic or vintage gear. I had quite a few 'bargains' from him, amongst which were brand new Lentek MC head amps at £18 each, several various Decca Londons at around £30 in good used condition. Many decent pickup arms and MC cartridges, normally at around £50 or £60 apiece. Metal backed 16ohm Celestion HF1300 at £15 each new, boxed (I still have four of these) and a load of other stuff. He was a bit of a grumpy old git, but I liked the bloke and he was actually quite accomodating once he got to know me. The poor chap died a few years ago. Shame, as he was a real character and his shop was a marvel, stacked to the ceiling with bygone audio and he had some truly amazing bits and pieces on occasion.

jaym481
16-07-2012, 22:10
I think the shop is still there. Haven't been in it though, as it was closed up both times I passed by.

walpurgis
16-07-2012, 22:25
Yes, the shop still exists or did last time was in the area!

PaulStewart
16-07-2012, 22:37
I remember Denys well, I,m still waiting for the call to tell me my Alphason turntable and power supply he was repairing are ready for collection:lol:

Sadly he died while these were being sorted, but the mates of his who were sorting things out at the shop when he was in hospital for the last time gave me a TD 125 to make up for it. He was a top class grumpy old git and I both sold and bought many things from him. I got my first pair of Quad ESL57s from Denys, many turntables, for myself and others and a number of Revox, Ferrograph and Brenell reel to reels.... Oh yeah and a couple of tuners and several power amps... The list goes on and on great store.:)

He also started the audio jumble sales, in those days held at the Indian YMCA in Grafton Way off the top end of Tottenham Court road near Warren Street.

A top bloke who you could always deal with.

walpurgis
16-07-2012, 22:46
Wasn't his shop a delight. I used to drop by about once a month just to see what he'd got his hands on. Goodies piled to the ceiling (and some junk).

edna
22-07-2012, 07:40
Went to see what was new at Denys Tricketts every couple of weeks or so...was a treat...bought Quad II power amps from him as well as his own Garrard 401 with a Stax 12 inch straight arm. Fitted that with a Decca so you can imagine what that sounded like. Liked Denys and had quite a few yaks with him...not grumpy at all actually...compared to the bastards I used to work for around the corner at Alan Bradley's electronic components...threw a phone book at the Manager (Rasta nasty pot head) and told him to do it (trivial task)himself.
Anyway I always wondered what happened to the old guy...thought he must have passed away by now and he has...used to go the the Lisson Gallery as well around the corner for an art buzz or a laugh...If I ever get back to the UK I will seek out the old haunts no doubt. Those were the great days of hifi actually but we didn't know it...

The Grand Wazoo
22-07-2012, 10:05
Hi Philip,
I've left a message for you on your profile page - would you mind taking a wee peek at it for me please?
Thanks a lot!