PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grant Eichmann silver bullet ic

wee tee cee
15-07-2012, 20:13
Mark sent me one which arrived the other day. I was away for a couple of nights so my next door neighbour accepted the package. It must taste bloody good as her whippet has ate through the packaging and chewed two of the plugs. Dog saliva must rank well against deoxit because it sounds marvellous. Initial impressions over the 1500 it replaces are better sound stage and separation and a real tightening to the bass. I will give it a few hours to settle in and post my thoughts.
Tony.

Mike
15-07-2012, 20:24
What is it with these bloody "Bullet Plugs"?... I really don't get it! :( :scratch:

DaveK
15-07-2012, 21:31
What is it with these bloody "Bullet Plugs"?... I really don't get it! :( :scratch:

Not getting the bullet is something to be grateful about, these days, surely? ;)
Long may it continue :lol:
Dave.

DSJR
15-07-2012, 21:37
Whadayamean, the Bullets have tighter bass? The bloody HD1500's don't HAVE any bass to speak of in the first place, since it's all treble focused to me (not that I mind, but I think it should be said :lol:)

No doubt your new cables want running in, by which time you won't hear any bloomin' difference in them at all :)

wee tee cee
15-07-2012, 21:42
I have them between my pre/ head amp and dac. I've gave them an hour on the cans. They are very good indeed. Songs I know really well are showing up effects on the voice I have never heard before.They appear to be uncoloured like MGs other cables just more revealing. Another incremental step in the right direction for me.

Marco
15-07-2012, 23:17
I would largely concur, Tony, as I've been assessing the very same cables now for nearly 2 weeks, and comparing them to the same ones, fitted with WBT 0110Ags.

I'm now virtually certain that to my ears the latter are sonically inferior (never mind the Neutriks on the 1500s), other than when used on digital cables, perhaps due to WBTs claim of them being genuinely 75 Ohms impedance? I don't believe that Eichmann claim the same for their plugs.

However, when used on stereo interconnects, the Eichmann Silver Bullet Plugs appear to notably raise the game in many areas of the sound that I'm listening to, and generally make more 'sense' of the music. I totally agree with the comment below, as I'm hearing the very same thing:

Songs I know really well are showing up effects on the voice I have never heard before.

Yup! They appear to make voices both more intelligible and reveal subtle nuances in expression, which just doesn't happen to the same degree with the WBTs.

Full review and comparison between both types of plugs coming soon :)

Marco.

P.S Dave, I've no idea what you mean about the G1500HDs, as they didn't sound in my system anything like you've described! :scratch:

DSJR
16-07-2012, 08:22
I was being a bit facetious as usual Marco. Mark (YNWOAN) has summed the cheaper varients up really well I think, and we both find the Neutrik Pro plugs a little "brighter" in presentation I think, from the Canares fitted to the excellent basic product. 'Course there's bass :) but the neutrik HD1500's do seem to "sparkle" a little more and, until I got other things sorted, I found them difficult to live with at first...

wee tee cee
16-07-2012, 08:22
well, its not just me...my ears still seem to work OK.

YNWaN
16-07-2012, 08:46
Hmm...I would be interested to hear how marks cable performs with the Eichmann plugs fitted - will give him a call.

Marco
16-07-2012, 11:14
I was being a bit facetious as usual Marco.

I'm a chap with simple needs, Dave, so I'd prefer it if you just told it as heard it, minus the facetiousness, as otherwise people could get the wrong idea! ;)

Marco.

Marco
16-07-2012, 11:57
Hmm...I would be interested to hear how marks cable performs with the Eichmann plugs fitted - will give him a call.

You should do, Mark. I think you'd rather like the difference that the Eichmanns make! :trust:

Marco.

YNWaN
16-07-2012, 14:11
Well, I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the difference the Eichmann plugs make - I did fit some to my current cables :).

Marco
16-07-2012, 14:37
Yes, I know, but I'm confident that the reservations you had about Mark's G2000HDs (fitted with silver WBTs) would all but be removed ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
16-07-2012, 15:04
Yes, when I compared the various connector options Mark was (then) fitting, I already had Eichmanns fitted to mine and, inevitably, my listening findings were coloured by this.

Marco
16-07-2012, 15:16
So, muchacho, it's now time to level the playing field..... ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
16-07-2012, 15:28
Just finished chatting to Mark - he's going to sort me out - full report to follow :)

Mike
16-07-2012, 16:38
Oh bloody hell!... does this mean I'm going to have to dig out those infernal "Bullets" and give them another go? :scratch:

Horrid little blighter's! :doh:

YNWaN
16-07-2012, 16:45
Don't know what you mean, I found them really easy to solder to.

Marco
24-07-2012, 23:34
Have you got the cables with the Eichmanns fitted yet, Mark? I've settled on using them now. For me they're a no-brainer upgrade on the silver WBTs :)

Marco.

Canetoad
25-07-2012, 07:55
Yep, I'd like to try a set of these too. :)

sq225917
25-07-2012, 08:06
I know he doesn't make much noise about it but I think the Eichmanns are within arse kicking distance of being 75ohm impedance. That's the whole point of having a constant spacing between -/+ in the plug.

Marco
25-07-2012, 08:26
Yup... Thing is, Simon, the WBTs are claimed as being a true 75 Ohms impedance design, yet to my ears, the Eichmanns still whip their arse! :)

So, I think there's more to it then that...

Marco.

NRG
25-07-2012, 09:48
They can't be true 75ohm impedance, the spacing has to be the same as all other RCA connectors plus the socket they plug in to wont be any where near 75ohms so a complete waste of time, you need BNC to get to 75 ohms and then you still don't know what the internal wire / pcb layout will be like...

YNWaN
25-07-2012, 10:19
Have you got the cables with the Eichmanns fitted yet, Mark? I've settled on using them now. For me they're a no-brainer upgrade on the silver WBTs :)

Marco.

No, not yet Marco. Mark did say there would be a delay as I think he said he was out of stock at the time. Hopefully he is going to send me a cable fitted with the Eichmann's and one with the WBT's. As soon as he does, I will be sure to report my findings :).

Marco
25-07-2012, 10:21
Hi Neal,

Yup, I was simply quoting what WBT say on the subject:

http://www.wbt.de/index.php?id=77&backPID=77&tt_products=63

Also, I prefer the silver WBTs, to the Eichnmanns, on the end of my Oyaide digital coaxial cable, where the improvement there is similarly as marked as when using the Eichmanns, instead of the WBTs, on Mark's G2000HDs.

Therefore, perhaps the WBTs are nearer 75 Ohms impedance? Or the WBTs simply work better with the Oyaide digital cable? I dunno... However, I do know which plugs I prefer in their respective applications :)

Marco.

NRG
25-07-2012, 10:40
Its marketing bollocks Marco, apparently it achieves 75Ohm impedance when used with the WBT matching socket! :doh: So why bother to go to all that expense and design when a much cheaper industry standard alternative is available in the form of a BNC connector...don't get sucked in folks. :mental:

Marco
25-07-2012, 10:53
Fair do's... However, in my situation with already having the plugs, I guess it'd be less of a ball-ache buying a set of the matching sockets to fit on my transport and DAC, than going to the hassle of fitting BNCs throughout.

I'll try it and report whether I can hear any improvement! :)

Marco.

YNWaN
25-07-2012, 11:14
It wouldn't really be much different in terms of difficulty/convenience; however, BNC plugs and sockets are enormously cheaper to buy.

To be honest though, I also think the whole 75Ohm impedance thing is a red herring.

Marco
25-07-2012, 11:27
Anyway, more importantly, have you got the new Eichmann-fitted cables yet, and if so, what do you think? :)

Marco.

YNWaN
25-07-2012, 12:17
Nope - not yet.......:(

Marco
25-07-2012, 14:18
Ah, okies... Keep us posted! :)

Marco.

brian2957
25-07-2012, 14:51
Marco, the silver bullets seem to be quite difficult to get hold of . Where did you buy yours.

YNWaN
25-07-2012, 15:27
He got them from Mark of Mark Grant cables.

brian2957
25-07-2012, 15:39
Thanks Mark.

wee tee cee
25-07-2012, 19:44
Brian,
I will bring my interconnect on Saturday to Ali's place.....see if its just my ears. Must say, after it settled down/burnt in It really has made a positive change to what I hear. I will bring my trico/wtb Mark Grant co-ax and see if as a stereo pair how they compare.

Ali Tait
25-07-2012, 19:44
Cool, look forward to trying it.

wee tee cee
25-07-2012, 19:54
Ali,
I sent Gaz a PM to bring his trico/wtb if he still has it, I will bring mine....be fun to do a Pepsi challenge interconnect wise.......

brian2957
25-07-2012, 20:20
Brian,
I will bring my interconnect on Saturday to Ali's place.....see if its just my ears. Must say, after it settled down/burnt in It really has made a positive change to what I hear. I will bring my trico/wtb Mark Grant co-ax and see if as a stereo pair how they compare.

Have you got the Mark Grants fitted with Eichmanns Tony.

wee tee cee
25-07-2012, 20:26
Ye...I have a cunning plan.....The AOS Pepsi challenge (interconnect wise)

brian2957
25-07-2012, 20:28
Excellent . I can feel a 'try before you buy ' comin on.

Tarzan
25-07-2012, 20:48
:popcorn:

Ali Tait
25-07-2012, 20:50
Sounds like a plan.

Canetoad
26-07-2012, 07:37
Ali,
I sent Gaz a PM to bring his trico/wtb if he still has it, I will bring mine....be fun to do a Pepsi challenge interconnect wise.......

I can lend you mine if Gaz doesn't have his anymore. I'd like to see how they compare too. :)

wee tee cee
26-07-2012, 16:25
Bernie,
Thanks for the offer, Gaz still has his and will bring it along....you coming?

Canetoad
27-07-2012, 08:30
Yep, but I'm currently a bit under the weather with a cold. I promise not to cough on anybody. :lol:

Would you like me to bring the Dac Zero over for comparison?

DaveK
27-07-2012, 09:13
Yep, but I'm currently a bit under the weather with a cold. I promise not to cough on anybody. :lol:

Yep, and your medication and a face mask :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry, I couldn't resist).
Dave

Tarzan
27-07-2012, 10:04
What is the damage for these cables, just out of interest?

wee tee cee
27-07-2012, 17:38

Ye,
Loved the sound of the beast last time I was Ali's,would love to hear it again against my MF......If you dont mind that would be great. I will up the cake/ strawberry tart count accordingly.

brian2957
27-07-2012, 17:45
How many strawberry tarts are you bringin then Tony. :)

Ali Tait
27-07-2012, 19:00

Yes please Bernie. That'll mean we can have another dac shoot out - my valve jobbie, BM, Zero and MF. Oh yes, and the fifty quid one that uses the same AK4396 board as the valve one.

Should be fun!

brian2957
27-07-2012, 19:10
Any luck with the TFS Ali :) Edit : sorry missed your post on the other thread mate . Glad to see everything is OK again .
Great service from Jason the designer of the TFS.

Mike
27-07-2012, 20:00
Yup... Thing is, Simon, the WBTs are claimed as being a true 75 Ohms impedance design

Only when used with the matching sockets! They've mucked about with the capacitance to make them "act like a 75ohm connector" (not my words!). But you must use them as a pair. Allegedly.

Ali Tait
27-07-2012, 21:00
Any luck with the TFS Ali :) Edit : sorry missed your post on the other thread mate . Glad to see everything is OK again .
Great service from Jason the designer of the TFS.

Yes indeed, Jason did a grand job. Haven't had a listen yet as the other half is watching the bloody Olympics.

MCRU
31-07-2012, 11:45
There is a massive shipment of Eichmanns arriving this week from Australia, I have 10 sets of bullet plugs on order and more orders piling up, it's taken quite a while for them to arrive, should have ordered more originally I suppose!