i thought this would be more interesting than my current budget set up
so here go's

chris@panteg
18-01-2009, 19:33
A couple more

Spectral Morn
19-01-2009, 00:25
Hi Chris

A classic city of lights system. Those amps bring back memories and the Voyd ref TT, fabulous. I recently had an opportunity to listen to some Audio Innovations 2nd Audio amps. Version with 6b4g valves and 2a3 valves, I preferred the 6b4g version. However in my upstairs set up I felt that my Audio Innovations mk3 series 1000 amps sounded better, also less hum and no earthing issues. I also tried a standard version Series 1000 pre, my Ear was better, being more transparent and suited the Series 1000 amps. But talk about nostalgia. I used to own a Voyd Valdi and at the time aspired towards a Void Ref, instead I went for a Oracle Delphi. However I wish I had not sold my Valdi, brilliant TT, for the money.

Nice to see your old set up.

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

Ali Tait
19-01-2009, 09:11
Interesting you preffered the 6b4g to 2a3,as they are identical valves except for heater voltage.How did you perceive the sound difference?

chris@panteg
19-01-2009, 10:44
Hi Chris

A classic city of lights system. Those amps bring back memories and the Voyd ref TT, fabulous. I recently had an opportunity to listen to some Audio Innovations 2nd Audio amps. Version with 6b4g valves and 2a3 valves, I preferred the 6b4g version. However in my upstairs set up I felt that my Audio Innovations mk3 series 1000 amps sounded better, also less hum and no earthing issues. I also tried a standard version Series 1000 pre, my Ear was better, being more transparent and suited the Series 1000 amps. But talk about nostalgia. I used to own a Voyd Valdi and at the time aspired towards a Void Ref, instead I went for a Oracle Delphi. However I wish I had not sold my Valdi, brilliant TT, for the money.

Nice to see your old set up.

Thanks Neil

Yes it was a nice system and you are right about the hum,i had all kinds of problems and had to move stuff about ,the concordant pre had a separate psu which was also a nightmare and had to hide it away from everything.

The border patrol psu transforms these amps to something really special.

I also really liked the 800 anniversary with a BP psu fabulous.

The voyd is not the full reference but as close to it as possible just lacking the big motor's.

My friend John still has the same amps/psu's but with the series 1000 and you are spot on i have been nagging him for years to get rid of it, and he has a standard voyd with ref bearing and platter.

chris

Spectral Morn
19-01-2009, 10:53
HI Ali

In this application i.e the Audio Innovations mk1 and Mk2 amps know as 2nd Audios. The level of background hiss/valve rush was lower from the 6B4G's these tubes also had more gain and also had more weight and scale. The sound was also ever so slightly fuller. The 2A3's had less gain more noise and a slightly more forward and leaner sound. Both amps had been serviced and were as good as they could be. Neither were modified in any way and both were used with the Audio Innovations Series 1000 passive pre amp (which they were designed to work with). The sound was also similar with my Ear pre, I still liked the 6B4G's over the 2A3 valves. However I am not saying this is always so I do like the 2A3 sound, just with different amps. This finding is just in relation to my second system(see Gallery http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1832). If people agree fine, if not thats also fine. Quite often the differences between valves (types) will suit one set up over another.

The 6B4G is similar to the 6A3 valve, which I loved, when I reviewed the Ecofan amp and pre (see review http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1599.) However the 6B4G is an octal valve and the 6A3 has four pins in the base. Means they can't be swapped, Pity.

Spectral Morn
19-01-2009, 11:03
Hi Chris

Get your friends Series 1000 pre re-wired with better cable and put better volume and source selectors on it. It is a very good MM phono stage(really all it is ). It matches the AI amps, as there are matching issues with these amplifiers that means you need to be carefull using anything else, especially if its an active pre. Not every pre will suit. I was surprised that the Ear 864 (not as nice looking as the Series 1000 pre though IMHO)did, as it is active. The sound with the Series 1000 Mk 3 amps was overall better, but lacked a wee bit of the 6B4G/2A3 delicacy....a compromise.

Regards D S D L---Neil

pure sound
19-01-2009, 11:11
To be fair, the 6B4G's supplied with the earlier FAA and SAA amps were NOS items and were perhaps understandably better than what were then newly re-manufactured Chinese 2A3's. The change was made as the availability of NOS 6B4G's at sensible prices became a problem.

Spectral Morn
19-01-2009, 11:19
Yes I did know that, but I still preferred the sound of the mk 1 amp in this system(the 6B4G's on it(mk 1 amp) were replacements as the original set got smashed when being lifted into a car, the car door closed on it ) when I did the comparison(recently). The 2A3 valves in the mk 2 amp were not cheap Chinese ones(the original ones used were very poor), but more recently got ones. I must be honest and say I can't remember what make...sorry(these amps were not mine, but had been loaned to me for evaluation) The tubes in the AI series 1000 mk3 amps were Tung-Sol reissue 8551's....very nice IMHO.

chris@panteg
19-01-2009, 12:23
Hi Chris

Get your friends Series 1000 pre re-wired with better cable and put better volume and source selectors on it. It is a very good MM phono stage(really all it is ). It matches the AI amps, as there are matching issues with these amplifiers that means you need to be carefull using anything else, especially if its an active pre. Not every pre will suit. I was surprised that the Ear 864 (not as nice looking as the Series 1000 pre though IMHO)did, as it is active. The sound with the Series 1000 Mk 3 amps was overall better, but lacked a wee bit of the 6B4G/2A3 delicacy....a compromise.

Regards D S D L---Neil

Neil' well he has had a panasonic pot fitted which made a big difference,

If you look at the photo of my concordant pre you may notice it had been rewired with the same panasonic pot and elma switches which are superb

The concordant did work quite well with 2nd's but i don't think ideal the P2 and L2 would have been perfect' perhaps as mine were made in 1992 so a late pair.

Guy' i looked at your site and i see you do a 2A3 pp integrated with valve choke smoothing it looks fabulous and if i ever have the money i would be very interested to hear it.

what is the price and do you think it would be a nice match for my old type J's

Ali Tait
19-01-2009, 13:03
Oh yes agreed Neil,I was just interested in your impressions.I've heard a few 2a3 amps as well as 6b4g's and yes they do sound different-strange seeing as they are the same valve basically.Different makes of valve of course,and differebt vintages.

Giant Haystacks
21-01-2009, 02:22
Hi if some one is looking for 2a3 valves the best way to go is Westinghouse these were supplied to them by Rca they have mostly an orangey red writing sometimes white and have radiotron wrote on ,these are also labeled marconi and General electric but they fetch higher prices, these were mostly made in the Canadian RCA Victor factory.
For 6b4g put in 4 pin base and get 6a3 valves go for Philco (these are sylvania) they are the most common to come up .
These are a classic amp and i as a lot of people have had both versions.

chris@panteg
28-01-2009, 00:34
I thought i would post a few pics note the cottage industry concordant pre before it was rewired.
and also the sweet little roksan .

chris@panteg
27-09-2012, 11:08
I've just had a bit of luck on the lotto , and am putting together a new system , it needs a little fine tuning ? The bass is a tad excessive :eyebrows:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/chrispanteg30/speakers.jpg

Joking :) just thought this looked a bit mad lol .

stupinder
27-09-2012, 12:43
I've just had a bit of luck on the lotto , and am putting together a new system , it needs a little fine tuning ? The bass is a tad excessive :eyebrows:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/chrispanteg30/speakers.jpg

Joking :) just thought this looked a bit mad lol .
That system is wholly inappropriate for you!! can I suggest you box it up and get it sent round mine....please:eyebrows:

chris@panteg
27-09-2012, 13:36
That system is wholly inappropriate for you!! can I suggest you box it up and get it sent round mine....please:eyebrows:

This is just the bedroom system , do you think it's a little OTT :D

chelsea
27-09-2012, 13:39
Love the finish on the voyd.

chris@panteg
27-09-2012, 14:04
Love the finish on the voyd.

It was special alas .