PDA

View Full Version : WANTED - Anti skate gubbins for Lenco GL75 tonearm

Canetoad
12-07-2012, 09:01
I've just picked up a Lenco GL75 turntable with standard arm. The problem is that all the anti-skate gubbins are missing.

Not looking at spending too much on the standard tonearm as money would probably be better spent on a replacement. Buying on fleabay looks like costing as much or more than I paid for the whole turntable! :doh:

Does anybody have these parts? :)

Tea24
12-07-2012, 09:39
PM sent.

Canetoad
12-07-2012, 09:52
Reply sent. :)

DSJR
12-07-2012, 21:37
Before junking the L75 arm, PLEASE give the bloody thing a chance :)

Bits shouldn't cost much on ebay I feel, but summertime is quiet and used to be cheap. Now I suspect it just dies until the Autumn.

Try wrapping some cotton thread around the springy joint between counterweight beam and arm-pipe proper. Not to jam up the springyness, but to control it somawhat. the famous Dezmo V blocks seem a good move and I suggest a couple of ptfe/nylon washers on the V-shaft either side of the arm-beam to prevent excess lateral travel. Rewiring the arm is down to whether the socket can be removed! The similar Thorens TP16 can be done, so I hope the lenco arm can be as well. Johnnie at Audio Origami will be able to tell you if he's neen successful in this - the headshell is a doddle to rewire. The horizontal bearing should be totally free and adjustable for minimal slop. Finally, the exit wires to amp MUST be replaced and this will be the single most important thing IMO after the V blocks. I use Van Damme "Tour Grade" coax and have a huge fondness for the pro patch mic cables for this application. The inner conductors for left and right + and - and the outer screen connected to the return wires at the phono plug end, keeping the flexible yellow? earthing wire intact from arm beam to terminal block and on to the amp.

Sorry to go on about this arm, but I do feel it's being hard done by in audiophool land :) The main bearing of the deck can be sloppy on some examples and these can be re-bushed carefully with new stock-sized sleeves I believe. The plinth is important and I found this week that the GL78 I want to restore won't properly fit the old sprung GL75 plinth I was hoping to use, as the removable springs were put on the top plate on later decks - Russ Collinson does some amazing plinths for these decks and they're not stupid money either! Idlers can be got too and I don't need to say how good these decks can be once fettled..

Lecture over. Sorry, but I feel the old arm is well worth defending. The earlier GL70 and predecessors sounds incredible with an Ortofon OM Pro or GT and apparently a Shure M-3D/N21 is perfectly at home in one I understand :)