View Full Version : Anybody else using Monarchy Audio power amps?

walpurgis
11-07-2012, 22:56
Amongst my choices of power amplification, I've got a couple of these little beauties. One SM-70 and one SM-70 Pro, they are cracking little Class A power amplifiers. They are both very clean and detailed with lovely transparency and a decent, deep and tight bottom end. To my mind the basic SM-70 seems to just have the edge over the Pro when it comes to lucidity, but there's little in it. They sound rather less cool than the Sugden Class A amps I've tried and seem punchier. The best pre-amp match I've found so far is my Forte Model 2, also a pure Class A design. The Monarchys are always used with my Tannoys, which they drive very well and sound really fine with. Is anybody else using these and if so how are you getting on with them.

camtwister
12-07-2012, 14:39
Hi Geoff. I used a SM70 Pro in stereo configuration for about a year. It was the best of the solid state amps that I've owned. Class A is king!

Joe
12-07-2012, 17:52
I used one for several years. The only downside was the loud 'thump' at switch on.

walpurgis
12-07-2012, 18:33
Yeah, that's true, you do get a bit of a thump turning on or off, but not that bad and I just turn on the pre-amp afterwards so not a problem. I have other good power amps, Class A valves and very nice Class A/B solid state and a beefy Tripath type power amp, but I keep going back to the Monarchys as they just sound right in my system.

camtwister
12-07-2012, 20:11
That's curious, I didn't have any 'thumping' issues at switch on, which I guess is errant EMF making its way to your speakers. The only amp that has done that to me was a Naim Nait 1.

I do like amps with zero global negative feedback, such as these Monarchys.

Geoff, are you using yours in bridged mono?

My old partner:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4880/frontsideforum.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9288/rearforum.jpg

walpurgis
12-07-2012, 21:15
The switch on/off thump is minor and not really an issue. My two Monarchys are not identical, one SM-70 and one SM-70 Pro, different spec and size etc., so I wouldn't bridge them. I could bi-amp, but I'm not a fan of bi-amping. Tried it and not been convinced by the results. I can't see me parting with these, what else can you possibly get at sensible money that sounds better? Sonically they are seriously good by any standard and a total bargain.

Arthur Pewty
14-07-2012, 16:25
Hi
Geoff

Yes I have a pair of SM70 Pros and a Monarchy 10A Preamp and have found them to be excellent value, although I have recently replaced them with an Audion Sterling Integrated.
As you state they are punchy great little amps. The 10A is also top value and a good combination; although I have been bitten by valves and am looking to move them on as my wife complains about too many boxes etc.
I have been having problems with one of them humming, which perhaps increased when I had a move around with my kit.
With regards to thump problem on turn on - I always turn the amps on last and turn them off first as per CC Poon's recommendations.

walpurgis
14-07-2012, 19:01
I also use valve power amps Tim. I can't say which is best to be honest. The Class A solid state and the Class A valves do sound different, but I chop and change the system around just for fun and I enjoy all my components. I've not used a Monarchy pre-amp, but I have heard they are good. My recently aquired Monarchy M22B DAC is another goody!