PDA

View Full Version : New Rule

synsei
09-07-2012, 15:23
I have concerns about the new punitive rule for registering criticism in this section of the forum. It is a little draconian in my view and could lead to few wanting to post their concerns on the open forum for fear of being banned for a week. Perhaps a warning would suffice for a first offence with the 'one week ban' being held over for a repeat offence.

My concern is that individual worries regarding a punitive ban may stifle discussion about important matters that concern the smooth running of the forum, especially if the complainant genuinely can't back it up with documentary evidence. Granted, this would be a rare event but such an occurrence is not beyond the realms of possibility. This is why I believe it would be best to employ a warning for a first offence.

Even with this in mind the thought of a week long ban may discourage members from using this thread for its intended purpose and as a result, could even encourage the frequency of bickering on the forum :eyebrows:

Just my tuppence worth ;)

John
09-07-2012, 15:29
Can you explain in more detail what you mean
What are you referring too

synsei
09-07-2012, 15:34
If you are enquiring as to the meaning of the thread, then you need to read this (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18818) John ;)

John
09-07-2012, 15:46
The main idea is to encourage constructive critism, often we get critism and its hard to figure what is going on as we do not have enough infomation to go on. There two ways to do it Dave
1) Contact any of the moderators privatly to discuss concerns
2) If posting give examples of what you mean. Remember when we asking questions we looking for clarication so we can understand what is going on
We try to strike a fair balance and I think we get right more than we get it wrong, but the site can always improve

YNWaN
09-07-2012, 15:54
To be honest, I don't see what the problem is. If I have an issue with a forum I send a PM to the forum administrator or one of the admin team. If they are unsympathetic and you consider the issue serious, then you are on the wrong forum. If you don't consider it sufficiently serious to go elsewhere, or to stop posting, then it isn't really a problem worth complaining about.

synsei
09-07-2012, 16:01
I agree with you Mark, a PM to a Mod or Marco himself is the best way to resolve any issues a member might have, Marco in particular is very approachable and is more than willing to address member concerns if he can. However there are some issues that might need to be discussed on the open forum which is where my concerns come into play...

Mike
09-07-2012, 16:04
To be honest, I don't see what the problem is.

I think it's the "do it like this OR ELSE!" nature of the post in question that Dave is commenting on. It does kind of read like the headmaster is warning the pupils of dire consequences should rule #1 or #2 not be obeyed to the letter!

;)

synsei
09-07-2012, 16:10
I have thoughts of Marco donning a Mortar Board, black cloak and waving a cane all over the shop running through my head now... :lol:

Generally what Marco has written is spot on, it's the punitive ban that I can see causing us problems. A warning for a first offence would be sufficient punishment for most I feel. Incidentally, for the benefit of Mark and John, this isn't a complaint, it is an observation which has opened up a debate on the topic which I feel is necessary. To leave a forum without stating your point of view on any given matter is cowardly in my opinion. There can be no change without discourse and debate.

Marco
09-07-2012, 16:18
Lol... The problem is, Mike, that some folk seem to need that kind of approach (due to previous 'softer' approaches failing), in order for it to 'sink in' fully how we expect people here to behave! ;)

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to take on board Dave's suggestion below:

Perhaps a warning would suffice for a first offence with the 'one week ban' being held over for a repeat offence.

...and go with it, as long as the rest of the team are happy :)

Marco.

Mike
09-07-2012, 16:22
Ah, there you are! :D

"En garde monsieur pussycat!" :fence:

synsei
09-07-2012, 16:30
Ah, there you are! :D

"En garde monsieur pussycat!" :fence:

"All for one, and one for all!!!" :D

Marco
09-07-2012, 16:35
Hehehehe... We do aim to please!

Providing that none of the team have any objections, the new rule will be amended later :)

Marco.

Mike
09-07-2012, 16:36
So... you DO know your Tom & Jerry then! :lol:

synsei
09-07-2012, 17:01
Oh yes... Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner, Wacky Races, Catch That Pigeon, Bugs Bunny, Danger Mouse etc etc. I'm a bit of a cartoon buff, I just love 'em. To be truthful, I've never really grown up as my kids could confirm... :lol:

walpurgis
09-07-2012, 23:40
Regarding the new Criticism Terms, I have a feeling that there may be a missed opportunity here, or maybe another way of addressing this. Would a 'Total Rant' no holds barred corner be workable? On the understanding that anybody visiting would have to accept what is expressed without redress apart from being able to reply. Just a thought that crossed my somewhat befuddled mind (just had a couple of beers).

YNWaN
10-07-2012, 00:51
I'm not keen on that idea at all - why would one want such a thing?

Darren
10-07-2012, 07:04
Agree with Mark, if you want to rant, rant at the dog. We don't need it. It's a hifi forum, leave your issues at home.

MartinT
10-07-2012, 07:57
Agree with the warning first, Marco. That works for me and I think achieves the right balance between tolerance and keeping AoS clean and well behaved.

As for a rant area - nope. Anyone who wants a no-holds barred rant can always go to a certain other teepee shaped forum ;)

walpurgis
10-07-2012, 10:59
I'm not keen on that idea at all - why would one want such a thing?

I'm not sure "such a thing" would be wanted, or even be a good idea. No real way to anticipate how it would turn out though is there? I'm just asking the question.

YNWaN
10-07-2012, 11:24
Personally, all I think it would do would be to encourage bitterness and recrimination. Sometimes it is better to just hold ones tongue (metaphorically) and count to ten - no one is obliged to post, or to interact with other forum members - there shouldn't be any need to 'clear the air'!

I have seen similar threads (to that you suggest) on other forums and it has not improved the atmosphere or resolved anything - quite the opposite in fact.

Tim
10-07-2012, 12:53
As for a rant area - nope.
Agree 100%, thats what makes AoS stand out from the crowd, by not allowing such behaviour and is the exact reason why I avoid all forums except this one.

John
10-07-2012, 12:58
Tend to agree with Martin, it just becomes a war zone and the strongest personalities win

Alex_UK
10-07-2012, 13:08
Whilst I certainly wouldn't condone a "rant" area, don't forget there is the "Balderdash and Piffle (something trivial) (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5577)" thread, which is just the place if you have something mild or humorous you want to get off your chest - more specific "rants" about the forum are probably better addressed as a PM to one of the team. :)

Marco
10-07-2012, 13:52
And don't forget there's also 'Room 101'!:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=334793#post334793

;)

Marco.

DSJR
10-07-2012, 14:31
oooooh, the people I'd like to chuck into room 101. Nobody from this site though....

Marco
10-07-2012, 15:06
Arse or head first?

Marco.