PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting out of AOS forum?

walpurgis
06-07-2012, 22:35
Why do we need to discuss and debate. I haven't been a member here very long, but I find the banter most entertaining. I think I may have stepped on one or two sensitive toes along my short path to date, but that's just my forthright character coming through, no offence intended. There is greatly (and great) contrasting opinion and comment, some majorly well informed! How are you finding your experience here? Geoff.

WOStantonCS100
06-07-2012, 22:39
Wallet-thinning. :lol:

Roy S
06-07-2012, 22:41
Yeah, it's all right here

The Vinyl Adventure
06-07-2012, 22:41
It smells a bit like old people

synsei
06-07-2012, 22:42
I run my own forum which is always open on another tab in my browser alongside AoS. Sometimes when I am tired I forget to switch from 'forum owner' mode when clicking on the AoS tab which has led to some interesting incidents... :lol:

Roy S
06-07-2012, 22:42
It smells a bit like old people :lol:

goraman
07-07-2012, 00:45
THIS FORUM IS AS BRITISH AS AN OVEN MIT WITH CATS ON IT ! Stolen from Jeremy Clarkson.
http://www.english-teapots.com/england/ENG-WE7CAW02.htm
A Rover P5-A is slightly less British than the average opinion here, Marco Excluded who most likely covets a 2012 Maserati Grandturismo SC Scadalli and who's opinions smell like Marinara sauce & a nice Red Chianti! But other than that Union Jackish banter is pretty much the order of the day here on AOS...
Just logging on causes my laptop to emit a smell like cucumber sandwiches and PG tips.

Mr Kipling
07-07-2012, 06:40
THIS FORUM IS AS BRITISH AS AN OVEN MIT WITH CATS ON IT ! Stolen from Jeremy Clarkson.
http://www.english-teapots.com/england/ENG-WE7CAW02.htm
A Rover P5-A is slightly less British than the average opinion here, Marco Excluded who most likely covets a 2012 Maserati Grandturismo SC Scadalli and who's opinions smell like Marinara sauce & a nice Red Chianti! But other than that Union Jackish banter is pretty much the order of the day here on AOS...
Just logging on causes my laptop to emit a smell like cucumber sandwiches and PG tips.
Yeah. . . Brilliant! Isn't it!

Puffin
07-07-2012, 07:04
I just feel I belong here......but then I might feel the same in a secure unit if I had been sectioned:D

Rare Bird
07-07-2012, 08:01
What are you getting out of AOS forum?
Um!I'll have a good old think & i'll get back later with that one.

Puffin
07-07-2012, 08:18
It smells a bit like old people

Aah the frgrant scent of Methyl Mercaptan :-

True halitosis is not simply a case of garlic breath or early morning dry-mouth. Methyl mercaptan is produced by bacteria, explains Jeffrey Coil, a halitosis expert from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. The nasty niff is released as the microbes in your mouth munch proteins from food and your own dead cells

So distinctive, once experienced - never forgotten.

Wakefield Turntables
07-07-2012, 08:57
Wallet-thinning. :lol:

:lol:

I just feel I belong here......but then I might feel the same in a secure unit if I had been sectioned:D

:exactly:

DaveK
07-07-2012, 09:08
What do I get from AoS? Mmmm ...
I enjoy the banter of the majority of the members but some members have a sense of humour (?) that leaves me cold.
I enjoy the free willing and open way that members are willing to offer their help, knowledge, experience and skills to those in need of it but not the way some members pontificate on anything and everything, irrespective of whether they were asked or indeed, whether they know anything about it.
I enjoy the way members offer to loan kit to other members to audition or on semi permanent loan, even though they ony know them as a name on a screen.
I like the fact that it has regular members from around the world that share the same interests and not just in music, just demonstrating that basically we are really all the same.
In short we are a world wide neighbourhood or 'local' community that coheres because of what we have in common and accepts our differences because they are so unimportant. In general a nice place to be :) .
Here endeth today's epistle :lol: .
And I might be just as happy in a secure unit too :lol: :mental: .
Dave.

prestonchipfryer
07-07-2012, 11:11
For myself the Art of Sound Forum hasn't specifically given any one thing. But what it has done, and in spades, is many things. A feeling that there are people who understand the love of music (not any one genre, but all types of music) as I do.

The understanding why we like music replayed with good fidelity on equipment old and new. I still use a Quad FM3 for instance and would not, for one moment, criticise anyone for their choice of equipment and/or music tastes.

Also the good manners displayed (most of the time) on the Art of Sound Forum, with the emphasis of good humour.

In the time as a member of this forum, I have learned a lot of useful information regarding my hobby (for that is how I see it) and feeling welcome.

Now as I'm typing this (garbage :)) I can say that I thoroughly enjoy the AoS.

That's what I feel.

Thank you all.

Marco
07-07-2012, 12:08
Hi Andre,

Basically i totally do not fit in AOS community, just tolorate it :)

That's cool, but it's about the only one that you choose to tolerate (and keep coming back to) :eyebrows:

;)

Also, think about all the genuine sympathy and support you've had from people here in times of strife...

Marco.

Marco
07-07-2012, 12:12
Hi Dave,

I enjoy the free willing and open way that members are willing to offer their help, knowledge, experience and skills to those in need of it but not the way some members pontificate on anything and everything, irrespective of whether they were asked or indeed, whether they know anything about it.

Examples of the above (in bold) please? Also, what do you think should happen instead, in your ideal world? :)

Marco.

bobbasrah
07-07-2012, 12:40
What do I get from AoS? Mmmm ...
I enjoy the banter of the majority of the members but some members have a sense of humour (?) that leaves me cold.
I enjoy the way members offer to loan kit to other members to audition or on semi permanent loan, even though they ony know them as a name on a screen.
I like the fact that it has regular members from around the world that share the same interests and not just in music, just demonstrating that basically we are really all the same.
In short we are a world wide neighbourhood or 'local' community that coheres because of what we have in common and accepts our differences because they are so unimportant. In general a nice place to be :) .
Here endeth today's epistle :lol: .
And I might be just as happy in a secure unit too :lol: :mental: .
Dave.

:cool:

DaveK
07-07-2012, 12:48
Hi Marco,
With respect I do not think it would be helpful to start naming names. In any community you will find persons and opinions that you would rather not interact with and I find the same thing in AoS. Basically if anyone thinks the cap might fit they should perhpas think about it and act accordingly. No point IMO to introduce any unecessary friction - if the cap don't fit they should ignore me - not really difficult is it? ;)
There are people on here, I find, that have excellent, even unrivalled, knowledge of certain subjects that they offer freely to anyone that asks - IMO that does not mean that their opinion on anything and everything is equally expert.
All just my opinion :)

Marco
07-07-2012, 13:23
Hi Dave,

In any community you will find persons and opinions that you would rather not interact with and I find the same thing in AoS. Basically if anyone thinks the cap might fit they should perhpas think about it and act accordingly.

Sure, but how can they do that if they don't realise what it is that you think they're doing 'wrong'? They may think that they're behaving perfectly normally and acceptably, based on what they're used to experiencing in their own world... In that respect, who is qualified to judge?

At the end of the day, it's all about personalities: some you'll get on with better than others. That's life.

No point IMO to introduce any unecessary friction - if the cap don't fit they should ignore me - not really difficult is it?

Yup, and the same could also be said regarding the persons and opinions that you would rather not interact with. Just ignore them and refrain from referring to their behaviour - not really difficult is it? ;)

Incidentally, you'll never get any "friction" here from simply being frank and honest. I hate stuff bubbling away under the surface. So if you have a problem, I'd rather you spat it out.

I'm the type of person who respects honesty and likes to get any, shall we say, 'disgruntlement' out into the open and tackled head-on, rather than sly little digs being made, in the hope that those whom the comments were aimed at will take notice, and then those making the digs conveniently going 'all shy' when challenged to explain themselves...

No offence, Dave, (so please don't take it that way) but there's a saying, which is rather apt in these circumstances: 'either put up or shut up'. It's one or the other here :)

Marco.

walpurgis
07-07-2012, 13:52
Oh dear, because I'd been enjoying myself here, I started the tread in the (misguided?) hope everybody would have an entirely positive standpoint. Never mind, its a bit like being at work (depending on your job of course) you mix with people who won't necessarily see things the way you do, but we all have to rub along. Mind you here its voluntary and the pay is terrible!

DaveK
07-07-2012, 13:52
Hi Dave,
Sure, but how can they do that if they don't realise what it is that you think they're doing 'wrong'? They may think that they're behaving perfectly normally and acceptably, based on what they're used to experiencing in their own world...

I would have thought it was a fairly simple matter for them to know when they were expressing their opinion on something that wasn't asked for - advice is one thing, disparaging opinion is something else IMO.

Yup, and the same could also be said regarding the persons and opinions that you would rather not interact with. Just ignore them and refrain from referring to their behaviour. It's not really difficult is it? ;)
Marco.

The point of this whole thread was to invite comment on their membership of AoS and that is what I have done. I have offered positive aspects and said how much I enjoyed it. You above all should know how keen I was to become a member again. None of the above means that everything in the AoS garden is rosy, and in my opinion it isn't but I'm just one member among many so no stress.
Interacting with persons with opinions you do not necessarily share is 'part and parcel' of forum membership, indeed, membership of any community - what a boring place AoS would be if the ony posts that were made were complimenting the other member(s) on their opinions, no?
Others have posted their negative feelings about AoS without being subject to this response - what have I done to merit it?
No offence to anyone intended, so hopefully none taken - certainy none on my part :) .
Dave.

DaveK
07-07-2012, 13:58
Oh dear, since I'd been enjoying myself here, I started the tread in the (misguided?) hope everybody would have an entirely positive standpoint. Never mind, its a bit like being at work (depending on your job of course) you mix with people who won't necessarily see things the way you do, but we all have to rub along. Mind you here its voluntary and the pay is terrible!

Please don't worry about it, Marco and I don't need any external stimulus to debate differing PoVs :lol: . As I posted on another thread, we have a 'love/hate' relationship, a bit like the odd couple :lol: ;) .
There is a lot that we do agree about, perhaps more than we disagree about, but those subjects just flow by in the general flow of posts :) .
Stay tuned, please :) .
Dave.

walpurgis
07-07-2012, 14:07
No worries dave. Every relationship has bumpy bits!

Marco
07-07-2012, 14:10
Hi Dave,

I would have thought it was a fairly simple matter for them to know when they were expressing their opinion on something that wasn't asked for - advice is one thing, disparaging opinion is something else IMO.

Unfortunately, since you refuse to cite examples of what you're referring to, I have no idea what you mean :scratch:

That's the problem with saying something, without qualifying it.

However, you should remember that AoS is a discussion site, and therefore people can discuss whatever they wish, within the boundaries of our ethos, without having to be asked for their opinion first.

The point of this whole thread was to invite comment on their membership of AoS and that is what I have done. I have offered positive aspects and said how much I enjoyed it. You above all should know how keen I was to become a member again.

Sure, and I accept that and have no issues with that whatsoever.

Interacting with persons with opinions you do not necessarily share is 'part and parcel' of forum membership, indeed, membership of any community - what a boring place AoS would be if the ony posts that were made were complimenting the other member(s) on their opinions, no?

Absolutely, but it's also only reasonable to expect one's opinions to be challenged, no?

Or do you expect others simply to accept your comments and say nothing, particularly if they might disagree with some of them? Unfortunately, that's what it seems like. Please realise that I'm not getting at you here; merely trying to understand your mindset.

What I'm saying is that by all means make comments negative or positive (we welcome feedback here, hence why we have 'Critics Corner'), but by the same token, be prepared then for people to question/challenge the comments you make. Either that, or if you don't like being challenged, then don't make certain comments in the first place. Simples :)

The thing is, if I see that someone has a problem, then I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask what it is, do you?

Others have posted their negative feelings about AoS without being subject to this response - what have I done to merit it?
No offence to anyone intended, so hopefully none taken - certainy none on my part

No offence taken here either. I'm simply responding to comments which I considered needed to be addressed. If you look earlier in the thread (post #16), you'll see that I also did this with Andre, but unfortunately he's since deleted his post, so all that's showing now is the bit I quoted...

Therefore, rest assured that I'm not singling you out for any special attention :cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
07-07-2012, 14:47
....but not the way some members pontificate on anything and everything, irrespective of whether they were asked or indeed, whether they know anything about it.

The above comment is certainly true of the two other hi-fi forums I visit (but now seldom post on, for just those reasons), but I really don't think it is very true of this forum - of course an element exists, such is the nature of free speech.

However, with regard to comments relating to debate; I would agree that relatively little true debate takes place on any of the hi-fi forums (that I am aware of). Contributors tend to just state their opinion, or their experience (of course either, or both, of these aspects may be valid). Personally, I can see a time approaching when I will no longer take part in any of the hi-fi forums.

Marco
07-07-2012, 15:05
Hi Mark,

The above comment is certainly true of the two other hi-fi forums I visit (but now seldom post on, for just those reasons), but I really don't think it is very true of this forum - of course an element exists, such is the nature of free speech.

I would agree, and in terms of the comment you're referring to, I'd wonder exactly what would be desired instead? :confused:

You see, I'm a great believer in that if you highlight a problem, then subsequently you should offer a possible solution - otherwise all it is, is a moan! ;)

However, with regard to comments relating to debate; I would agree that relatively little true debate takes place on any of the hi-fi forums (that I am aware of).

Now there I disagree. Surely you can't have missed the (many) juicy debates that have taken place here, often spanning 50 or more pages? :eek:

What do you consider then as "true debate"?

Contributors tend to just state their opinion, or their experience (of course either, or both, of these aspects may be valid).

In your opinion then, what else should be happening? :)

Personally, I can see a time approaching when I will no longer take part in any of the hi-fi forums.

Why is that? I can assure you that if you left here you'd be missed!

Marco.

Covenant
07-07-2012, 15:30
Personally, I can see a time approaching when I will no longer take part in any of the hi-fi forums.

That would be very sad Dave. I hope you are not referring to your health issue.
(Sorry if that is a confidential matter).

Marco
07-07-2012, 15:34
Hi Jerry,

It was Mark who made that comment, not Dave :)

Marco.

Covenant
07-07-2012, 15:46
Oops sorry, should know better than to half read a thread.

Marco
07-07-2012, 16:08
No worries, dude. Sorry to hear if Dave has health problems.

Marco.

DaveK
07-07-2012, 16:09
That would be very sad Dave. I hope you are not referring to your health issue.
(Sorry if that is a confidential matter).

Hi Jerry,
Rest assured it will be a long time before I (voluntarily ;) ) leave the very few fora that I grace with my presence, particularly AoS, I enjoy the banter too much. I accept that those feelings may not be universally recprocated :lol: but that's their problem :ner: .
I enjoy debate, but not argument, and will happily play 'Devil's Advocate' to get a discussion going and somewhere deep inside I have a very sensitive nerve that reacts readily to being preached at. Nobody respects knowledge more than I do - I was still going to Technical College at the age of 30 (from 16) and before anybody comments how thick I must have been I only failed to progress one year - something to do with the Nurses Home being right next door to the college IIRC :lol: . So I absorb opinions from an expert like a sponge but can't stand anyone giving me the benefit of their expertise when IMO they know no more (or even less ;) ) than I do.
Regarding the health issue, no it's not confidential and for the unaware I suffer from Cluster Headaches - not life threatening but certainly not enjoyable :rolleyes: , and might also make me just a tad more easy to irritate some times :lol: :lol: .
And don't forget I am an ancient born and bred Yorkshireman ;) .
Thanks for your kind thoughts and concern :) .
Cheers,
Dave.

Joe
07-07-2012, 16:17
Why do we need to discuss and debate. I haven't been a member here very long, but I find the banter most entertaining. I think I may have stepped on one or two sensitive toes along my short path to date, but that's just my forthright character coming through, no offence intended. There is greatly (and great) contrasting opinion and comment, some majorly well informed! How are you finding your experience here? Geoff.

I am finding it less frequently of late, possibly because of my increasing girth.

I am completely clueless about all things audio, so am unlikely to get into any heated debates about objectivism/subjectivism or SS/valves or digital/vinyl. Got myself banned a few times, even so; I'm not entirely sure why.

Marco
07-07-2012, 16:33
{Snip}I have a very sensitive nerve that reacts readily to being preached at.

And I have a very sensitive nerve that reacts badly to having my time wasted! ;)

{Snip}can't stand anyone giving me the benefit of their expertise when IMO they know no more (or even less ) than I do.

The problem is, Dave, that it's completely pointless making comments like the above, unless you qualify them, as no-one other than you knows what you're on about, and most importantly neither do the people who can do something about it...

Therefore, unless you're willing to qualify such comments, so we can address the issue and resolve it, in future I'd rather you simply kept them to yourself.

Regarding the health issue, no it's not confidential and for the unaware I suffer from Cluster Headaches - not life threatening but certainly not enjoyable...

Indeed, and I can imagine. I'm sorry to hear about that and hope that the situation is temporary and that you're managing it as best as you can.

Marco.

YNWaN
07-07-2012, 16:44
I would agree, and in terms of the comment you're referring to, I'd wonder exactly what would be desired instead? :confused:

You see, I'm a great believer in that if you highlight a problem, then subsequently you should offer a possible solution - otherwise all it is, is a moan! ;)

Well, I would agree - but even if the criticism were true, it's difficult to see how it could be resolved without some pretty heavy handed moderation (and probable banning of some of those involved). In the case of the two other forums I refer to, one has a great deal of (presumably) ego driven posts of the 'look at me, I'm posting' nature, which are otherwise devoid of value content; the other has been adopted by a number of vociferous posters whose sole interest appears to be arguing for the sake of it (bullying essentially), or forcing their personal agenda on others at every opportunity (both aspects are very unpleasant and boring).

Now there I disagree. Surely you can't have missed the (many) juicy debates that have taken place here, often spanning 50 or more pages? :eek:

Yes, you are probably right; it is certainly true that I don't read a lot of the threads (but, these days, I often visit other forums and don't see any threads at all that interest me).

What do you consider then as "true debate"?

Well, that's a very good question and, on reflection, I was possibly mistaken when I said such. One of the dictionary definitions of debate is "To engage in argument by discussing opposing points" and whilst forums (in general) have plenty of argument, I think there is very little discussion of opposing points where both sides take on board the opinions of others and consider each as potentially valid, balancing the pros and cons of each aspect.

In your opinion then, what else should be happening? :)

I don't think there is anything that one can do about it as such. I think that you personally do your best to encourage conversation (and discourage pointless argument - if only all forums did this). Essentially it all boils down to the experience and knowledge base of those who contribute (and how willing members are to contribute). Personally, I try to resist contributing to threads whose subject matter I have no experience (or interest). I think it would be nice if more trade members actually posted as enthusiasts (assuming they have anything of value to share) as opposed to just using their membership to make trade statements and/or promote their wares. The majority of trade members do not post at all unless it is to advertise the launch of something new.

Why is that? I can assure you that if you left here you'd be missed!

Well, that's very kind of you, but without wanting to appear too negative, I don't think it's true. The nature of forums is that ones existence is relatively ephemeral and abstract, transient even (as, rather well, illustrated by the 'Dave don't go' post above). For my part, I think my need to state my opinion is waning (I don't really care if others share my views or not), together with my interest in posting 'advice'. I never have liked giving 'what component' advice and you see many of the same information request queries over and over again (for example, I just can't be bothered to type out 'how to set my arms bias' yet again). I have increasingly found myself starting to type out a response and then deleting it without posting.

The kind of stuff I'm personally interested in rarely comes up on forums. The last time was probably the Paul R thread on (pfm) measuring turntable speed stability and this encouraged me to investigate in ways I had not done earlier, itself causing me to develop my ideas and new hypothesis.

DaveK
07-07-2012, 16:52
Marco,
There are many more people on here than just you and I. No one else has taken issue with what I've posted in the manner that you have - and just in case they're waiting in the sidelines for the opportunity to do just that, please don't bother as any response woud be just the same :) .
I have said my piece - you and I are unlikely to move towards each other on the matter so that's it as far as I'm concerned :) .
For the record the condition is chronic :( :steam: but thanks for your concern.
Dave.

goraman
07-07-2012, 18:19
I have seen Marco resolve a few issues on this forum,and I like his vision for this forum.
Unlike other forums where free discussion gets squashed by very aggressive moderators Marco lets people hack it all out so long as a reasonable amount of decorum is used.

And political correctness is not the order of the day so you can speak openly and freely so long as you are not directing venom at another member.

I'm sure not everyone loves my sense of humor but I don't attack people,I may tease them a little but not in a mean way, or at least I hope it is not taken that way.

Isn't it nice to be able to bicker a little with out Mom and Dad butting in to force a phony hand shake?
This forum is special and unique even if it is predominantly British....:eyebrows:

Marco
07-07-2012, 18:31
Hi Dave,

No one else has taken issue with what I've posted in the manner that you have...

That's where you're wrong. I wasn't taking issue with it; I was trying to get to the bottom of it and resolve it! :doh:

...just in case they're waiting in the sidelines for the opportunity to do just that, please don't bother as any response woud be just the same .
I have said my piece - you and I are unlikely to move towards each other on the matter so that's it as far as I'm concerned.

With respect, it's not you who dictates what happens here, so just for future reference, let me make this absolutely clear:

If you or anyone else has a problem with AoS, which you've taken the time to express in public, then it's subsequently either discussed in public, with a view to resolving the issue, by providing relevant examples of the problem concerned, or not mentioned at all in the first place.

I've now said MY piece and trust that I've made myself crystal clear.

For the record the condition is chronic,but thanks for your concern.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Suffering from severe headaches is a terrible thing. I hope that you're managing to cope with it as best as you can.

Marco.

DaveK
07-07-2012, 19:06
Hi Marco,
In the interests of making things clear between us let me say the following: -
1) I have no real problem with the way you run the forum, rather the reverse. It is my forum of choice probably, at the moment and that is mainly because of the membership that is attracted to join. That has got to be in large part down to your hand at the tiller.
2) whilst I accept therefore that it is not me who dictates what happens on here, neither is it you. You obviously have much more control over that aspect than I do, but on reflection I'm sure that you woud agree that you do not dictate what happens on here and neither would you want to I'm sure.
3) I agreed to abide by the AUP or whatever when I joined and as I understand them that forbids me from making personal criticisms of another member. As far as I am aware I have not gone against any AUP, ethos or ad hominem restrictions so, whilst you may not agree my comments I suspect they may be within the written 'code of conduct'. If they are not, please correct me. - even I get things wrong from time to time.
4) whilst ever I am allowed to post I will continue to post my opinions, trying at all times to comply with the prescribed requirements of posting. I am free to be 'shot at' by other members who do not agree with me, and vice versa.
On a further point, you referred earlier to the existence of Critic's Corner. Forgive me if I'm wrong but do I recall that some time ago the Admin team posted of removing that facility as it only seemed to attract griping posts or something similar?
To repeat, AoS is up there with the best audio fora and I acknowledge that that is in no small part down to the way you oversee it but that should not prevent members from commenting on aspects of the forum that they sometimes find irritating.
Just my opinion,
Dave.

Marco
07-07-2012, 19:20
Dave,

Points noted. However.... Again you (spectacularly) miss the point :doh:

To repeat, AoS is up there with the best audio fora and I acknowledge that that is in no small part down to the way you oversee it but that should not prevent members from commenting on aspects of the forum that they sometimes find irritating.

I've got no problem whatsoever with anyone commenting on aspects of the forum that they sometimes find irritating, but if they take the trouble to do so, then when asked to provide relevant examples of what they're referring to (in order that they can be thrashed out and resolved), then I expect the member concerned to comply, rather than irritatingly skirting around the issue and then telling me that they've 'said their piece'! :rolleyes:

Now, please read again what I wrote, then digest it and comply with it:

If you or anyone else has a problem with AoS, which you've taken the time to express in public, then it's either discussed in public, by providing relevant examples of the problem concerned, with a view to resolving the issue, or not mentioned at all in the first place.

Please note that if your next response is simply to engage in a circular argument, rather than acknowledging and accepting the above, it is liable to be removed.

Marco.

synsei
07-07-2012, 19:26
Perhaps Dave is uncomfortable talking about the details of the issue on the open forum Marco ;)

Marco
07-07-2012, 19:28
Then, Dave, he shouldn't have brought up the issue on the open forum in the first place, and instead should've PM'd me or another member of the management team. Simples! :)

Marco.

synsei
07-07-2012, 19:34
Point taken ;)

Marco
07-07-2012, 19:39
Cool. One thing that drives me batty is when someone is being openly critical in public, but refuses to give examples of what they're criticising :doh:

All it does is piss me off and end up being a complete waste of time! From now on, either spit it out or STFU. It's as simple as that. Raising criticisms without any basis or detail is tantamount to trolling.

Anyway, the rule is there now for people to observe. I'll be adding it to 'Our Ethos' and also as a sticky post in Critic's Corner, where this thread will be moved to later.

Marco.

Beechwoods
07-07-2012, 20:12
On a further point, you referred earlier to the existence of Critic's Corner. Forgive me if I'm wrong but do I recall that some time ago the Admin team posted of removing that facility as it only seemed to attract griping posts or something similar?

All I can remember that is that Critics Corner has always been considered a big differentiating factor for AOS. Grounded and constructive criticism that we can work with and use as the basis of improving the forum is very much encouraged. I'm sure that none of the current team would ever advocate getting rid of Critics Corner.

My personal view is that criticism without some evidence and facts is just trolling, so I'm with Marco that if you have a problem, let us know what it is via the open forum or via PM so we can actually do something about it. There's always going to be someone in the team that members should feel they can confide in, even if it's not Marco or me.

Marco
07-07-2012, 20:32
Thanks, Nick.

Mark (YNWaN), I'll get to your (excellent) reply to my earlier question later :)

Marco.

Covenant
07-07-2012, 20:50
To get back to the OP, what I do like about AOS is that it doesn't have a clique of posters who monopolise the conversation. I don't think I have posted on the Wam for over a year because I don't feel part of that group and don't want too.

DSJR
07-07-2012, 21:38
I've been accused of being "in the AOS clique" as well as being a shill for anything my mate sells, including Rega which I sold myself!) and hope I'm not one of those that DaveK was referring to.

For me, since leaving the audio industry a few years ago, I've needed some sort of outlet to share my audio obsession which I've had ever since I can remember. I do tend to post too much, but once I return to full time employment in September, that should sort itself out I hope. I like to think I've made friends here on AOS and have found discussions of gear I don't know quite fascinating.

YNWaN
07-07-2012, 21:59
What does the AoS clique consist of?

DaveK
07-07-2012, 22:05
I've been accused of being "in the AOS clique" as well as being a shill for anything my mate sells, including Rega which I sold myself!) and hope I'm not one of those that DaveK was referring to.

For me, since leaving the audio industry a few years ago, I've needed some sort of outlet to share my audio obsession which I've had ever since I can remember. I do tend to post too much, but once I return to full time employment in September, that should sort itself out I hope. I like to think I've made friends here on AOS and have found discussions of gear I don't know quite fascinating.

Fear not, you were far from my mind when composing my 'views' ;) .
Good luck with the job - I hope that it turns out to be more of a career move than a means of paying the bills - bin there, done that and still carry the scars :lol:
ATB,
Dave.

John
07-07-2012, 22:07
Dave K at times you are so cryptic

Joe
07-07-2012, 22:11
-EEPvXlTUnU

DaveK
07-07-2012, 22:11
Dave K at times you are so cryptic

????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: - too subtle for me mate ;) .

Rare Bird
07-07-2012, 22:41
Also, think about all the genuine sympathy and support you've had from people here in times of strife...

Strife, ive have more strife in my life that i care to post on an open forum ;) besides Sympathy from an unreal person being in the form of an internet persona doesnt really cut the mustard with me , in reality every one looks after one person, being No.1, an internet persona means hoot to me :lol:

Lets all call it a place to hang out ok ;)

Welder
07-07-2012, 23:11
Wow, people taking themselves and this forum way too seriously.:lol:
This is the internet and what’s more this is a Hi Fi forum; nobody really gives a fuck!
Nobody is going to change the world here. ;)
A half decent DNS attack from some 15 year old hacker and all this is gone. :eek:

goraman
07-07-2012, 23:28
Wow!
I think the forum stands for Aged Old Sots.

synsei
07-07-2012, 23:44
I posted the lyrics to a Pink Floyd song here originally but after some thought decided it was probably against forum rules...

Carry on, nothing to see here... :D

Barry
08-07-2012, 00:26
I posted the lyrics to a Pink Floyd song here originally but after some thought decided it was probably against forum rules...

Carry on, nothing to see here... :D

Coward!

Beechwoods
08-07-2012, 06:37
A half decent DNS attack from some 15 year old hacker and all this is gone. :eek:

Including the daily offsite backups?

Welder
08-07-2012, 08:37
Including the daily offsite backups?

Like I wrote, some people are taking all this way too seriously.;)

Marco
08-07-2012, 08:39
Indeed, Nick - bit of a daft comment, John! :rolleyes:

Not quite sure what you're on about either with taking things too seriously... Someone posted a thread asking what it was that they got out of AoS, and we've had some discussion on that subject.

Perhaps you could offer your thoughts on that, instead of thread-crapping with inane drivel? That'd be a help! ;)

Or you've got nothing constructive to say, then say nothing.

Marco.

Marco
08-07-2012, 09:17
Dave, you have a PM.

Marco.

Welder
08-07-2012, 09:17
Sure Marco. :)

I think AoS is an interesting site as Hi Fi forums go. I’m not a subjectivist at heart but I quite enjoy reading peoples opinions on various aspects of this hobby, even if some do make me wonder if I am indeed deaf.

I find the posters online personalities the most interesting part and the most informative bits have been the music threads.
I wonder if I’ll miss AoS when I move?

Macca
08-07-2012, 09:40
Too much unnecessary negativity on this thread - the op's question was 'what have you got out of it' not 'what do you want out of it that you are not getting?'.

For the record I am not a member of any other forum, hi-fi or otherwise, although I was once a member of a Yahoo group years ago now. I dslike communicating by internet, text messages - I don't even like talking on the telephone. I stick around here because this is a little bit more than that (as it is intended to be) and I suspect that is why most of the regular posters and readers are here too. It's a shame that not everyone seems to get it.

Marco
08-07-2012, 09:48
Too much unnecessary negativity on this thread - the op's question was 'what have you got out of it' not 'what do you want out of it that you are not getting?'.

Hear, hear, Martin. Perhaps some people would like to consider that instead of using the opportunity simply as an excuse to moan? :rolleyes:

Some folk (the ex-banned) don't realise how bloody lucky they are to be here, and insist on pushing the (wrong) buttons of the very person who can send them quickly back to where they came from!

Thanks for your comments, mate - much appreciated :)

Marco.

YNWaN
08-07-2012, 09:51
I think, in some ways, the negative comments are as interesting (revealing), as the positive; it is interesting that those who have made such comments (or expressed negative thoughts) were still interested enough to post and that their post count does not really support their expressed negative stance.

I also find it interesting (personally), that two of the positive comments, 'forum banter' and 'the personality of forum members' are aspects that have never occurred to me. I certainly think it is difficult to judge peoples personalities from their written prose.

YNWaN
08-07-2012, 09:56
It's a shame that not everyone seems to get it.

But isn't that the very crux of the matter - 'it' is different for different people and, therefore, so is their interaction with said.

Macca
08-07-2012, 10:15
But isn't that the very crux of the matter - 'it' is different for different people and, therefore, so is their interaction with said.

Granted people will come at the thing from their own point of view. A Doctor might ask 'is this improving my health?'. An Engineer might ask 'is this working correctly?' An Accountant will ask 'what is this costing us?' and so forth. However the truth is that there does not need to be a measuarable result, a graph or spreadsheet produced, in order to measure the worth of something. Life is all about the intangibles, they add up to a lot more in the long run.

Marco
08-07-2012, 10:19
Some good comments again, Mark, acting as ample evidence of why your presence is valued here :)

Rest assured, that I will return to your post from yesterday, as soon as possible, as it was precisely the type of input I value and look to receive on threads such as this.

Right now, however, I have to help Del prepare for Sunday lunch, as we're having a big 'do' today, with my parents coming over, and as the weather is lovely here in Wrexham, we're setting the table outside in the patio.

So, if I'm sober enough, mate, we'll chat later! :eyebrows:

Marco.

walpurgis
08-07-2012, 11:15
Wow! Certainly a broad spectrum of responses here so far! Entertaining stuff.

DaveK
08-07-2012, 12:24
Wow! Certainly a broad spectrum of responses here so far! Entertaining stuff.

Yep, we are a very broad 'church' - quite a good parallel actually - many converts from other 'churches' take refuge here and seem to stay around :) .
Dave.

Marco
08-07-2012, 12:27
Hi Dave,

Please respond, as a matter of urgency, to my last PM before posting any further on the open forum.

Cheers!

Marco.

Alex_UK
08-07-2012, 12:37
Contrary to the "it is just a forum" thoughts of some, I've made some very good "real world" friends through AoS and met a lot of other nice people along the way. There are a lot of others who I consider are friends I have yet to meet. (And one or two w@nkers along the way, of course!)

In my opinion AoS really is a COMMUNITY not just a forum, and part of what I will fight to keep. You can't please all of the people all of the time - but at the same time we can't do anything about "problems" if we don't know about them, and it is pointless moaning about it under your breath - if you have a problem then please let one of us know or alternatively, keep the pointless negativity to yourself please! :)

DSJR
08-07-2012, 14:30
Contrary to the "it is just a forum" thoughts of some, I've made some very good "real world" friends through AoS and met a lot of other nice people along the way. There are a lot of others who I consider are friends I have yet to meet. :)

+1 :)

Hope your little one is settling into "independant" life now and not giving you too many sleepless nights ;)

goraman
08-07-2012, 14:48
Contrary to the "it is just a forum" thoughts of some, I've made some very good "real world" friends through AoS and met a lot of other nice people along the way. There are a lot of others who I consider are friends I have yet to meet. (And one or two w@nkers along the way, of course!)

In my opinion AoS really is a COMMUNITY not just a forum, and part of what I will fight to keep. You can't please all of the people all of the time - but at the same time we can't do anything about "problems" if we don't know about them, and it is pointless moaning about it under your breath - if you have a problem then please let one of us know or alternatively, keep the pointless negativity to yourself please! :)

Well said Alex,I have met some pretty good folks here,there is always someone willing to help out. AOS is a pretty hard place to leave for a reason.
It is different than any other audio forum and a real credit to the audio hobbiest.
I don't understand all the complaining suddenly, did some expect no one would ever disagree with them or have a different veiw,IT'S NOT FANTASY ISLAND. :mental:

YNWaN
08-07-2012, 14:50
Granted people will come at the thing from their own point of view. A Doctor might ask 'is this improving my health?'. An Engineer might ask 'is this working correctly?' An Accountant will ask 'what is this costing us?' and so forth. However the truth is that there does not need to be a measuarable result, a graph or spreadsheet produced, in order to measure the worth of something. Life is all about the intangibles, they add up to a lot more in the long run.

Well, I accept all of that; but it isn't really what I was getting at. What I mean is that some might come primarily for component advice, or to extend their general knowledge regarding things hi-Fi. On the other hand, some people may not be interested in those aspects and instead want to discuss music, or just for company even (for example). For all these people the concept of 'forum success' will be different and may not align with your own (or mine).

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2012, 14:59

Well said +1.

DSJR
08-07-2012, 14:59
One thing I tried to explain on another forum is that music appreciation and for "us," gear appreciation too, is very much an emotional thing and many of us get very attached to our highly customised stereo's. The thing is, the internet is a very impersonal place and I know that I for one, have made certain comments about gear which has been taken in a different way to that intended - oh alright, I've been pretty scathing about stuff i dislike too :eek:

I agree with Alex's post about this place being a community where most opinions are generally respected and tolerated as long as they're posted with respect for other diverging opinions. One thing I DO very much appreciate is the general friendliness here.

Unlike the AVI and Harbeth forums I visit from time to time, there is no real "product agenda" here, although a mass-banned "outsider" with his own forum would try to convince you otherwise. Along those lines, I do hope the mass adulation for Croft, Tellurium Q, Standacs and Techies is more to do with genuine enthusiasm and respect for the products, rather than "agenda" per se.

Spectral Morn
08-07-2012, 19:34

Agreed 100% :cool:

Joe
08-07-2012, 20:04
Strife, ive have more strife in my life that i care to post on an open forum ;) besides Sympathy from an unreal person being in the form of an internet persona doesnt really cut the mustard with me

Evelyn Waugh tells of a fellow-officer in WWII going around the camp saying:'Sympathy, I need sympathy, where can I find it?' to which someone replied: 'Try the dictionary, old man. Between shit and syphilis'.

walpurgis
08-07-2012, 20:54
Nice quote! I like that. Just about sums up everyday life.

synsei
08-07-2012, 22:23
At the end of the day it is good to remember that the post you are reading has been placed there by a 'person' who has feelings. If we all try to remember that then the forum will tick over like a well oiled machine ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
08-07-2012, 22:43
On rpf we have taken the idea of a friendly forum to a whole other level ... 55270 posts do far... Of which 55267 are of a positive nature
The 3 not so nice ones were deleted from thier original thread and moved to a special forum for conflict resolution that is only visible to members

Marco
08-07-2012, 22:56
Glad it's going well for you, Hamish. Long may it continue! :)

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
08-07-2012, 22:58
I've been away for a bit, so apologies for dipping in late.

AoS for me is a place to offer and to receive help in (on balance) equal measure.
I'd completely given up with the hi-fi forum as a species until I learnt about AoS. It was described as somewhere that people actually got on with each other and where knowledge and intelligent conversation were to be had in abundance. I didn't believe it for a minute, but took a look just in case. Over 10,000 posts later, I've kind of become part of the furniture and I like to think I've helped out a few folk along the way. But I've taken a lot from the place too - I've learnt a huge amount, and not just about hi-fi - I've even learnt a little bit about myself.

It's helped me to think & now I understand better exactly what it is that what I want from the machines that I use to listen to music. It's confirmed what I really knew all along & made me realise that the gear should always be secondary to the music & that to follow some unfulfillable goal of 'the perfect sound' is a waste of time money & effort. I've stopped farting about with cables! I'm happy with what I've got and it does me very well, thank you very much.
Now I'm learning stuff like how to replace the surrounds on a pair of speakers or how to build a plinth for a turntable that's older than me, and make it sound fantastic - just for the fun of it!
I'm also now able to spend hours very happily grooving along to systems made up of very humble constituents and I'm happy to shout about how good they can sound.

More than any of the above, though, I think I've made some good friends here and I'm proud to be a part of such a great community.

Cheers

goraman
09-07-2012, 01:25
I've been away for a bit, so apologies for dipping in late.

AoS for me is a place to offer and to receive help in (on balance) equal measure.
I'd completely given up with the hi-fi forum as a species until I learnt about AoS. It was described as somewhere that people actually got on with each other and where knowledge and intelligent conversation were to be had in abundance. I didn't believe it for a minute, but took a look just in case. Over 10,000 posts later, I've kind of become part of the furniture and I like to think I've helped out a few folk along the way. But I've taken a lot from the place too - I've learnt a huge amount, and not just about hi-fi - I've even learnt a little bit about myself.

It's helped me to think & now I understand better exactly what it is that what I want from the machines that I use to listen to music. It's confirmed what I really knew all along & made me realise that the gear should always be secondary to the music & that to follow some unfulfillable goal of 'the perfect sound' is a waste of time money & effort. I've stopped farting about with cables! I'm happy with what I've got and it does me very well, thank you very much.
Now I'm learning stuff like how to replace the surrounds on a pair of speakers or how to build a plinth for a turntable that's older than me, and make it sound fantastic - just for the fun of it!
I'm also now able to spend hours very happily grooving along to systems made up of very humble constituents and I'm happy to shout about how good they can sound.

More than any of the above, though, I think I've made some good friends here and I'm proud to be a part of such a great community.

Cheers

That was beautiful Chris.. ON that Note :closed:

Dominic Harper
09-07-2012, 01:30
I have to say that AOS for me has been very helpful in a lot of ways, especially when it comes to understanding different expectations with other people and their hifi's. I also like the fact that I have never been judged for being less knowledgeable than most when it comes to hifi and of course being female. I have had so many calls from customers, stating (only in jest I might add) "your a women, your not supposed to understand hifi". I have never been made to feel uncomfortable or uncomfortable due to my lack of knowledge. So for me, it is probably one of the most comfortable forums I have been on. I enjoy AOS and I get quite a lot of info and opinions that help me greatly.

Natalie;)

MartinT
09-07-2012, 05:42
besides Sympathy from an unreal person being in the form of an internet persona doesnt really cut the mustard with me

Behind every 'internet persona' is a real person. Some of us don't hide our names and we behave online exactly as we do in person, including having made some great friends here.

MartinT
09-07-2012, 05:51

Nice post, Chris, and I particularly agree with the above.

Tim
09-07-2012, 09:36
I have just read this thread today at 10:20 and had to laugh a little..... I thought the OP was asking 'what do you get out of the forum', not 'what pisses you off' :lol: Quite funny to read negative points of view criticising other peoples so called negativity, with negative comments of your own - bit of a Catch 22 there ;)

Anyway, for me I have learnt an awful lot musically, discovered many new bands and managed to clear out the dusty corners of my savings account! I have totally new gear and a fantastic sound in my room that I never imagined I could achieve for so little money and I have also met a few 'real' people too, who are as genuine in life as they are on the forum.

So for me my stay here has had many, many positive effects and made my knowledge and enjoyment of music far richer. And finally, just like life you get back what you put in...........

Barry
09-07-2012, 10:04
What am I getting out of AoS? Well that's simple: advice, amusement, recommendations, lively debate and friendly good-natured banter.

Plus of course I have made friends here, met some of them and found them to be just as nice as their forum persona.

What have I contributed to AoS? Well that's a little more difficult to say, but I like to think I have helped some with advice and amused others with some of my posts.

AoS is more than just an audio forum, it is as others have rightly said, a community. Someone once likened AoS to a gentleman's club. I think that is not a bad comparison and certainly reflects the honourable respect members have for one another. Fortunately it is not as elitist as a gentlemen's club.

Like all communities AoS is not perfect, but as audio fora go, it is by far the best.

What you get out of a community depends on how much you contribute, or to quote my old school motto: "To whomsoever much is given, of them shall be required".

Marco
09-07-2012, 10:11
Hi Tim,

I have just read this thread today at 10:20 and had to laugh a little..... I thought the OP was asking 'what do you get out of the forum', not 'what pisses you off'.

Indeed; I'd thought that the distinction was obvious. The problem is that if you give some people the slightest opportunity to moan, then they'll grab it with both hands! :doh:

That said, and let me make this abundantly clear, we have no problem WHATSOEVER with people making critical comments, in the appropriate area, which incidentally should've been done in a separate thread in Critic's Corner. Indeed, we WANT to hear about any problems people are having or what annoys or irritates them. That is precisely why we have an area like this.

However, if asked to provide valid examples of the criticism in question, then I think that this is a perfectly reasonable request, if the intention is to actually do something to help improve matters. Quite simply, there is no point whatsoever making some vague reference to a situation which has irritated you, if you're not willing to qualify it.

All it is then is a moan, or the equivalent of tossing a hand-grenade into the room and running off, and we can't be doing with that pish! :nono:

Therefore, there will now be rules put in place, made into a Sticky thread, at the top of this section of the forum, which in reference to registering criticisms, will go along the lines of: 'put up or shut up'.

From now on, there will be no dilly-dallying or vague references to criticisms allowed. If you've got something to say, then spit it out, so we can deal with it properly, or keep it to yourself!! Members will also always have the opportunity to raise issues in private, via PM, to a member of the management team.

Thank you for listening, and also for your many positive comments about AoS. Quite simply, it is what you guys make it :)

Marco.

Marco
09-07-2012, 11:39
New rules, regarding registering criticism, are now available here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=343360#post343360

Everyone, please read and digest carefully! :cool:

Marco.

walpurgis
09-07-2012, 11:54
Tim's post made wonder if there's a place for a 'What pisses you off' area! Or maybe an 'Anything goes' area, or would that be asking for trouble?

Marco
09-07-2012, 12:05
That's what Critic's Corner (the section you're posting in now) is for! ;)

Provided, of course, that it's carried out in accordance with the new rules, stipulated in a Sticky thread at the top of this section of the forum.

Marco.

Dominic Harper
09-07-2012, 12:07
And finally, just like life you get back what you put in...........

I love this comment and it so true. Most people on this forum really enjoy posting. I have found from speaking to people on other forums, that they don't post because the don't feel comfortable or feel they are going to get in to a bit of spat with someone, but they are fine with AOS. Most of the posts I have read on here are all either hifi based or general banter, nothing to serious. That sort of thing always get sorted and it's always lighthearted. That said, I agree with Marco, if you have got something to say, go and say it, get it sorted and leave it at that. You don't have to be friends if you get 2 people who don't get along, that's fine. I try and get along with most because to be honest I don't know enough about hifi, and I'm still learning so much. I enjoy this forum and I think AOS should continue as it has been. I have found other forums to be a little aggressive. Not this forum.

Natalie;)

realysm42
09-07-2012, 15:05
I get answers to questions and enjoy reading about other people's ideas and experiements.

Effem
14-09-2012, 11:51
What am I getting from AoS?

Haemorrhoids from sitting down too long and some shit music recommendations :lol:

Nah, I just love the place because it is informative and entertaining, there is no bullies or prima donnas to annoy me, plus one or two of you guys have been true stars with some loans of kit to try. Thanks especially to Marco who sent me a box of valves for some tube rolling and to David Brook who sent me a box FULL of speaker cables to play with while recovering from my heart attack, with the kind offer to keep one pair and return the rest. It wasn't the box of cables that touched me so much, it was the fact that I was trusted with that box and somebody actually cared about me. I'm fillin' up here :lol:

Dingdong
14-09-2012, 15:22
I love this comment and it so true. Most people on this forum really enjoy posting. I have found from speaking to people on other forums, that they don't post because the don't feel comfortable or feel they are going to get in to a bit of spat with someone, but they are fine with AOS. Most of the posts I have read on here are all either hifi based or general banter, nothing to serious. That sort of thing always get sorted and it's always lighthearted. That said, I agree with Marco, if you have got something to say, go and say it, get it sorted and leave it at that. You don't have to be friends if you get 2 people who don't get along, that's fine. I try and get along with most because to be honest I don't know enough about hifi, and I'm still learning so much. I enjoy this forum and I think AOS should continue as it has been. I have found other forums to be a little aggressive. Not this forum.

Natalie;)

What do you mean by agressive? Are you completely fecking mad? ;)

I get a sense of superiority from this forum, as my opinion is always the best. This may be because I have the best hifi. :)

WOStantonCS100
14-09-2012, 17:36
I'm a member of two other US based forums and only post on one of them every now and then because the majority of posters seem to have a huge chip on their shoulders. You either have to be on the offensive or the defensive. There's no middle ground. You can't ever just sit back and relax and talk about music and audio. More often than not I consider posting a waste of time. So far, AOS is going against the grain. Kudos.

Beechwoods
14-09-2012, 17:38
While my system may not be the best, I know I'm the best looking, so it doesn't bother me that my opinion is rarely the best!

synsei
14-09-2012, 17:50
I'm a member of two other US based forums and only post on one of them every now and then because the majority of posters seem to have a huge chip on their shoulders. You either have to be on the offensive or the defensive. There's no middle ground.

Sounds like a certain tent shaped forum on these shores, although I've been spreading myself about a bit on there today without too many hassles. now watch the feathers fly when a post on there next... :lol:

Dingdong
14-09-2012, 18:14
While my system may not be the best, I know I'm the best looking, so it doesn't bother me that my opinion is rarely the best!

Being the best looking doesn't bother me as I never leave the house. I just sit at home and post crap on tinternet, whilst being smug that my system is the best.

synsei
14-09-2012, 18:23
My bitter is best and my ale is brown... :cool:

MartinT
14-09-2012, 23:44
I know I'm the best looking, so it doesn't bother me that my opinion is rarely the best!

I may not be good looking, but I definitely have the best opinions.

YNWaN
15-09-2012, 06:06
I may not be good looking, but I definitely have the second best opinions.

Just corrected that for you Martin ;).

wiicrackpot
15-09-2012, 08:57
I may not be good looking, but I definitely have the best onions.
No Mark, i....'ve corrected that correctly for Martin. :D

MartinT
15-09-2012, 08:59
:rfl:

Marco
15-09-2012, 09:59
Well you're definitely a big tart (tart, onions, geddit?)

Marco.

MartinT
15-09-2012, 12:47
Don't start. I'm flat stopping this now before your onions make me cry.

Tim
15-09-2012, 17:02
Onions make me fart and I have always been described as a tart :D

brian2957
15-09-2012, 17:07
Sometimes when I start reading a thread I wonder where it's going to take me.:scratch:

MartinT
15-09-2012, 17:33
And now you know :lol:

bobbasrah
15-09-2012, 18:02
Are we there yet ?

brian2957
15-09-2012, 18:04
Not sure . I think we're still at the good looking tarty farting onions or sumfin :lol:

Macca
15-09-2012, 22:13
This thread now has worse thread drift than the the thread about thread drift...

Reid Malenfant
15-09-2012, 22:25
This thread now has worse thread drift than the the thread about thread drift...
:eyebrows: Sounds about right...

I'm just here because I might be able to give something back, this place makes you want to do it I find!

The only forum I participate in fullstop, been on loads of others & moderated a good few, but AoS so far appears to be different :)

After a couple of years I think that's saying something.

So still no reason while I'm really here then :eyebrows:

Macca
15-09-2012, 22:33
In no particular order - The banter, the incredible pool of knowledge, arguing politics with Dave K, the gallery pictures of hi-fi set up in unfeasibly tidy and very tastefully decorated rooms... I could go on...:)

Tim
16-09-2012, 08:19
In no particular order - The banter, the incredible pool of knowledge, arguing politics with Dave K, the gallery pictures of hi-fi set up in unfeasibly tidy and very tastefully decorated rooms... I could go on...:)
+1

MartinT
16-09-2012, 08:33
Yep, they're all good reasons, Martin. I would add to that the occasional meet-ups where we listen to and work on a chosen system and generally have a good time.

YNWaN
16-09-2012, 09:33
You know, I think there are three specific aspects of AoS that make it for me. The first is that the primary focus is on music and hi-fi - not random chat about politics or shaving etc (as it is on some other forums). The second is that it doesn't have ego driven posters whose only goal is to bludgeon you to death with their opinion or rack up as many 'points' as possible. The third point is that it hasn't become the home of the 'shill' - with the decline of magazine influence manufacturers increasingly see the Internet forum as free advertising. I know at least one member has been accused of promotional activity but (even if that were true) that is nothing compared to the swathe of such activity that infests some other forums.

Macca
16-09-2012, 09:43
Yep, they're all good reasons, Martin. I would add to that the occasional meet-ups where we listen to and work on a chosen system and generally have a good time.

Yes, and I notice that seems to be happening more and more often, which is great. Once I have the house up to some sort of acceptable standard I intend to organise a midland's (that's northern to those south of Watford ;)) get together.

bobbasrah
16-09-2012, 11:03
Yes, and I notice that seems to be happening more and more often, which is great. Once I have the house up to some sort of acceptable standard I intend to organise a midland's (that's northern to those south of Watford ;)) get together.

Just to say Martin, even I noticed you left a Gap there between Watford and ;)
:D

YNWaN
19-09-2012, 18:00
Deleted