PDA

View Full Version : Q magazine work experience girl hears vinyl for the first time

Thing Fish
06-07-2012, 20:47
Just thought some might find this interesting...:)

http://news.qthemusic.com/2012/07/column_-_how_i_learned_to_stop.html

Marco
06-07-2012, 21:05
Thanks for that, Dave - most interesting :)

It's like I've always said, younger people are plenty discerning enough to appreciate superior sound quality, and most importantly, a more realistic rendition of their favourite music, which quite clearly the girl in question was easily able to discern, when returning to listening to how the same music sounded on her sonically inferior Apple (iPod, I presume?)

The trick is to expose them to listening to music on vinyl regularly, reproduced through a proper, separates-based hi-fi system, in order to raise the standard of their current sonic benchmark, which unfortunately is easier said than done...

Marco.

Thing Fish
06-07-2012, 21:09
She was a bit spoiled to have a £150 copy of Led Zeppelin's 1969 album II as her first experience...:eek:

Marco
06-07-2012, 21:21
Yup, however one that obviously needed cleaning! ;)

"Static"? Wot bloody static...

Marco.

synsei
06-07-2012, 21:37
To plagiarise Tony Blair, "EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION" ;)

Marco
06-07-2012, 22:30
Indeed, coupled with practical experience! :)

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
06-07-2012, 22:38
I love how she says, "Not that I'm trying to sound like I found God or anything..." Exchange that "G" for a "g" and, yes little girl... you just about found god. :lol:

Audioman
07-07-2012, 12:37
She was a bit spoiled to have a £150 copy of Led Zeppelin's 1969 album II as her first experience...:eek:

Well I wouldn't buy used vinyl at those prices. I aquired a plum LZII for a lot lot less and sold it on after finding it a rather leaden muddy sound against my Classic Records 200g pressing. Also agree Sister Ray should be cleaning up their collectable vinyl at those prices. It irks me when people go on about the crackle/static being part of the experience. If my records generaly sounded that way I would have joined the Ipod crowd years ago. :lol:

Marco
07-07-2012, 12:51
It irks me when people go on about the crackle/static being part of the experience. If my records generaly sounded that way I would have joined the Ipod crowd years ago.

+1 (with knobs on). The notion that such noise is intrinsic to 'the vinyl experience' is as fallacious as the one that all valve equipment sounds 'rose tinted'! :doh:

Quite simply, if your records are unscratched and clean (and free from the effects of wear and groove damage), then there will be NO 'snap, crackle and pop' - not even a hint of it!! :)

Marco.

RobbieGong
07-07-2012, 13:15
+1 (with knobs on). The notion that such noise is intrinsic to 'the vinyl experience' is as fallacious as the one that all valve equipment sounds 'rose tinted'! :doh:

Quite simply, if your records are unscratched and clean (and free from the effects of wear and groove damage), then there will be NO 'snap, crackle and pop' - not even a hint of it!! :)

Marco.

Agree 150+ - It is so just not the case and is peoples perception / memory because back in the day regular folk listening to tunes at home tended not to be audiophiles and often did not treat records with any care. I have a vivid memory of this bein the case as a kid. Most of the family records were scratched and played with crackles and pops. In fact this is part and parcel of reggae played from the old school sound system era. These guys played all over the country week in week out so the records naturally lived a hard life. A friend of mine from that said era thinks I'm too fussy when purchasing some of these tunes and that a bit of crackle and pop is to expected - no way. I will not spend silly money on a rare tune which will have a fair bit of crackle ie VG etc. I only source EX+ at the very least if I can help it, usually NM, Mint, Sealed and I often enquire that the record doesn't play with surface noise if unsure. I find that when your system plays well and is revealing then anything else other than the music is a distraction from the listening pleasure :)

hifi_dave
08-07-2012, 19:47

Marco.

Really irritates me when 'experts' on TV and radio talk about the " warm and rounded " sound" of vinyl and the "comforting, ticks and pops". That's got nothing to do with why we prefer vinyl replay to anything else..:doh:

I take heart that I have sold several 'first' turntables to customers the past two years. A few of them had never heard a record player before they came here..:scratch:

Marco
08-07-2012, 21:42
Keep up the good work, Dave! :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
09-07-2012, 06:27
Led Zep II is one of those records that just responds to system changes, getting better and better. I can just imagine how she found the sound of it compared with crappy Apple earphones (she could at least swap them for something decent if she insists on using an iPod). That's a nice little article and is bound to get a few other young people interested in vinyl.

Thing Fish
09-07-2012, 07:06
Let's hope so...:)

Audioman
09-07-2012, 09:20
I take heart that I have sold several 'first' turntables to customers the past two years. A few of them had never heard a record player before they came here..:scratch:

It is not that surprising realy. Cassette had already taken over from vinyl for many by the time CD came along. In fact pre-recorded cassettes were still more popular than the CD format into the 90's. It follows there are people well into their 30's or even 40+ who have never had home experience of records. Would have thought they had encountered a DJ playing vinyl at some time though :scratch:

hifi_dave
09-07-2012, 09:21
Keep up the good work, Dave! :cool:

Marco.

It's what I do.

Some people just aren't interested but most are knocked out with the sound of even a mediocre record player and they often dig out their "old one" from the loft, to start enjoying LP's again.

Love it.

daytona600
09-07-2012, 10:19
never mind the £150 led zep - buy caribou - swim on vinyl a modern classic

Spur07
10-07-2012, 14:23
Ha, phil's never asked me downstairs to listen to his record player :( but seriously if she's looking for audio nirvana she's probably best off avoiding sister ray altogether -despite having a RCM on the premises they never clean their records and they never grade them either. i'm glad they never told her to listen to that £150 led zep on either of the 2 technics decks on the shop floor which are totally f**ked and rubbish to boot.

and if she now thinks portable digital replay is crud she ought to go out and buy a sansa clip / koss porta pro combo, that'll soon change her back to digital again.

but as she's 'seen the light' she'll probably be off to see her back manager to organize a loan :)

Marco
10-07-2012, 14:42
and if she now thinks portable digital replay is crud she ought to go out and buy a sansa clip / koss porta pro combo, that'll soon change her back to digital again.

Aye, only until she heard a decent turntable again! ;)

Marco.

Spur07
10-07-2012, 14:54
Aye, only until she heard a decent turntable again! ;)

Marco.

yeah, i really hope someone lets her listen to another decent TT again because she wont be owning it, and before you know it she'll be out buying CD's for £2 from local charity stores again. :D

RichB
10-07-2012, 15:27
yeah, i really hope someone lets her listen to another decent TT again because she wont be owning it, and before you know it she'll be out buying CD's for £2 from local charity stores again. :D

and whats wrong with cd's from charity shops?

northwest
10-07-2012, 15:30
and before you know it she'll be out buying CD's for £2 from local charity stores again. :D

You are assuming she has actually paid for the music of course?
Most "kids" I know 'get their mate to put some music on for them' and before the thread degenerates into a PIRACY rant, most kids don't know it really shouldn't be done. Most kids I know can't add up either, but that's another story.

MartinT
11-07-2012, 05:39
I brief the girls at my school every year about piracy and the proper way to buy music. It does tend to wake up a few brain cells as light dawns. I also work hard to block all the pirate download sites while allowing them to use Amazon, iTunes etc. to make legitimate purchases. Much better than blocking everything, as it educates them.

Spur07
11-07-2012, 07:57
and whats wrong with cd's from charity shops?

nothing wrong with a thrift store bargain Rich, just pointing out how cheaply digital music can be had now.

Spur07
11-07-2012, 08:01
You are assuming she has actually paid for the music of course?
Most "kids" I know 'get their mate to put some music on for them' and before the thread degenerates into a PIRACY rant, most kids don't know it really shouldn't be done. Most kids I know can't add up either, but that's another story.

back in the 80's i attended one of the worst schools in the UK (just before the league tables came into existence), it comforts me to think a lot of kids now are getting an even worse education than i did :D

daytona600
13-07-2012, 06:57

just checked i have 2copies of led zep 1 ( sd8216 )
cat ATL40031 atlantic very good condition if anyone wants one

MartinT
13-07-2012, 07:27
I don't have a Led Zep I on vinyl - may I buy it from you? Continue by PM by all means.

Gmanuk101
13-07-2012, 07:48
I blame the parents..pmsl.. good for her, hope the experiences get better