PDA

View Full Version : How often...?

Tea24
06-07-2012, 08:26
... do those of you with a RCM clean your discs?

What criteria makes you say one day 'That record needs a clean'?

JazzBones
06-07-2012, 08:46

Julian, I think time has come to RCM clean the vinyl when it sounds crap when you play it, a load of ticks and pops that the digital fraternity can't abide, finger marks, smells like a cheapo Havana cigar.... now if its got bullet holes, junk it. You learn by experience and touchy feely.

Cheers
Ron :cocktail:

Macca
06-07-2012, 12:15

If it's not been cleaned before then it gets a clean. If it is something I play frequently it will probably get another clean when clicks and pops start to re-appear. I've had the RCM a year or so and only had to clean about 3 records for a second time.

Alex_UK
06-07-2012, 18:28
.... now if its got bullet holes, junk it.

:lol:

I actually do have some vinyl with chunks missing, if not actual bullet holes!

northwest
06-07-2012, 18:43
MMMmmmmm! Record Cleaning Machine........ I have two record collections now. All of the records I have cleaned and all of the records I haven't cleaned! Marting quite kindly loaned me his RCM for a couple of weeks and I ploughed through my modest collection of vinyl. It was a bit of a mission but I did so many every weekend until I worked through them.

I now have sixty or so that I really need to clean.

I was talking about this with Paul this afternoon. For what they are and the bits involved, they are quite expensive bits of kit and the biggest barrier is pulling up the £400+ to buy one. And that's only the entry level, the 'Nitty Gritty Pro-1' is available for a very reasonable £1293.99 plus P+P:stalks: I believe this reticence is because we just can't see £400 worth of kit there, a brand new Henry Wet n Dry version Vacuum is less than £100 so add a motor, spindle and a bit of a plastic arm it just doesn't add up.

I have seen the one on ebay for £256 but don't know anything about it. At the very least I clean the record with an alcohol/distilled water mix and a soft nylon brush. But it isn't really enough. Always been tempted to buy the Knosti one from Amazon but everyone I see buy one has it for sale PDQ as they bought a proper vacuum one.

Sorry, forgot to add, my criteria are - I just bought it! Any record I have or have recently bough that has not been through the RCM needs to be properly cleaned.

Marco
06-07-2012, 18:44

When I bought an RCM, three years ago I, slowly but surely (setting aside some time each day), cleaned the whole of my record collection.

Now, everytime I buy records (new or used), they're automatically cleaned on the RCM, before they get anywhere near my precious stylus! It's nice to know now that any record I select to play will be squeaky clean and ready to be heard at its best! :)

At the moment, however, I've got about 150 new albums waiting to be cleaned, as I let my regime slip a little...

Marco.

northwest
06-07-2012, 18:45

I have some with bullet holes if you need any? Free to you Alex.
Always happy to help you out:lol:

Alex_UK
06-07-2012, 19:48
Cheers fella! :lol:

Audioman
06-07-2012, 19:56
You should only need to clean a record once or twice initialy to remove contaminants. If handled carefully and stored properly it should only need a reclean if something gets spilled on it or mishandled by putting greasy fingermarks on the surface.

jaym481
06-07-2012, 22:51
A wet cleaning is necessary from time to time, regardless of how well the record is handled (unless you have your hi-fi and collection in a proper clean room).

One thing I've discovered about vac cleaners is that they don't work as well with really grubby discs as with well maintained ones. I have a Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi and a Spin Clean. The latter gets used to clean charity shop and boot sale finds, with the former as the final stage (nothing can really sub for a good vacuum to get the grit and fluid off the disc).

Handy folk can quite easily DIY a vacuum record cleaner. Some have even DIYed a Loricraft-type (but even parts wise it'll probably run around £500 due to the required motors and quiet pump).

JazzBones
08-07-2012, 15:23

Alex, have you been snacking in between meals again mate!?

Cheers, Ron :)

sq225917
08-07-2012, 16:42
I wet vac a record when brushing it no longer gets it clean.

Beechwoods
08-07-2012, 17:03
If it's not been cleaned before then it gets a clean. If it is something I play frequently it will probably get another clean when clicks and pops start to re-appear. I've had the RCM a year or so and only had to clean about 3 records for a second time.

I think that sums up my approach. I am relatively recent to Record Cleaning Machines (thanks to ColinB) and have an Okki Nokki. I tend to clean before listening, if I've never cleaned it before, and as Marco suggests, any new acquisitions get cleaned before listening. I've not started cleaning 'new' discs yet - minty ones out of the wrapper, though I know release agent can mar playback. If a disc is new then it gets cleaned if it doesn't sound clean...

I do love how the replay effect is immediate and very evident. And I love how clean the discs look as well. Vacuum drying makes a big difference.