PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impression: Dyna XX2 versus 20XL

Disles1
04-07-2012, 21:10
I recently purchased a Dynavector XX2 cartridge to replace the 20XL on my modified Technics SL1210 turntable. Some had told me, an upgrade of that magnitude would be hampered by the ability of the Technics, especially the tonearm. I felt, as did others, that the Technics was capable and I was itching to try a better cartridge. I had been given several good options, including the Dynavector 17D3, the Lyra Delos and others. I selected the XX2 for a few reasons: I already liked the sound of the 20XL, I could buy the XX2 for a lower price than the Lyra and only a little more than the 17D3, and since the XX2 had similar characteristics to the 20XL I didn't have to change my SUT loading or other parameters.

I've modified stock Technics headshells with DH Labs pure silver leads (I had one of their initial sets for the 20XL so ordered another for the XX2 headshell). The XX2 is not broken in as I only played three LP sides today: One side each of The Royal Ballet 'Gala Performances', Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' and ABBA Singles 'First Ten Years'.

My initial impression is that there is greater separation of instruments so there is more detail, more transparency and better imaging. The wonderful - to my ears - 20XL sound remains but it is "better". I will have to sit down and go back and forth between the 20XL and XX2 to properly define what I mean by "better" but that's all I have now.

Is spending more $$$ for the XX2 worth it? It depends! I can best explain it by referring to seating at a philharmonic concert in my city: You may be happy with seats on the main floor but if you get to sit in the middle of the Dress Circle everything becomes clearer. If you don't mind spending the money I think the XX2 is a worthwhile upgrade.

gx502
11-07-2012, 09:33
Congrats on your new cartridge, it is nice to read that you are enjoying it...

I was wondering though if you are using the KAB arm damper?

Presently I have a Jelco arm on my SL1210, but I recall back when i was using the stock arm, the KAB arm damper was a real no brainer. It improves almost every aspect of the stock arms performance.

I just thought I would mention this since, you are using a pretty high performance cartridge there, and would surely want to get the most from it.

jandl100
12-07-2012, 06:06
I like DV cartridges and have had quite a few.

- 10X5, 23RS, 17D2, 17D3 & XX1L.

It was interesting going from a 17D3 to the XX1L (I'm not sure how like your XX2 that is - probably not too far off?). A much 'sturdier' and meatier sound - the 17D3 is a bit fragile sounding in comparison. But the XX1L seemed to lack the fine detail and speed of the 17D3.

I have to confess that my favourite of the bunch is the cheapest, the 10X5. I just love its lively, fruity and bouncy sound!

I was wondering though if you are using the KAB arm damper? .... It improves almost every aspect of the stock arms performance.

Interesting!

Has anyone else here tried this on their Techie?

http://www.kabusa.com/TD1200.HTM

Disles1
14-07-2012, 13:15
Hi Rav, yes I am using the KAB fluid damper which I wholly recommend.

I had purchased my turntable used so decided to replace the tonearm tube/bearings with a new damped one, re-wired with Cardas, then replaced all the other internal parts (which may have had some wear). The interconnects were changed to custom-made shielded pure silver cables from tonearm wires to preamp. I also found that adding the Technics plastic plug to the end of the arm tube further reduces resonances.

Feet have been changed to bronze points which couple the turntable to a 2" thick hard maple frame which is isolated from the equipment rack by Sorbothane hemispheres (to control vibration from footfalls, etc.).