PDA

View Full Version : My new toy - oh yes!

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2012, 19:10
Well its nearly birthday time so I ordered one of these

http://www.avidhifi.co.uk/electronics_pulsare_2.htm

realysm42
02-07-2012, 19:23
It's very pretty, is it any good?

Tarzan
02-07-2012, 19:38
Well its nearly birthday time so I ordered one of these

http://www.avidhifi.co.uk/electronics_pulsare_2.htm

Holy cow Andrew, that is one sorted Vinyl replay system you will have:stalks:

Wakefield Turntables
02-07-2012, 19:53
It's very pretty, is it any good?

Yep, I've spent 12 months researching my options and it was this or the upper end Whest phonostages.

Blackmass
06-07-2012, 13:46
Were you able to demo the Whest against the Avid?If so,what were your thoughts?
The Avid looks like a beast!

MartinT
06-07-2012, 16:04
I wouldn't like to say which might be better, but my Whest is one mighty phono preamp. Hope you've made the right choice.

alex_san78
06-07-2012, 17:22
It looks like a tank Andrew! :)

WOStantonCS100
06-07-2012, 18:12
Congrats!

There is a lot to be said for having options... ...and selectable right on the front of the thing! Geez, if this thing had valves.............................. :)

Wakefield Turntables
06-07-2012, 18:27
Were you able to demo the Whest against the Avid?If so,what were your thoughts?
The Avid looks like a beast!

Not as such, the Avid is still on pre-order for demo, they have sold out so if its sounds as good as the Whest I'll ge getting the credit card out.

I wouldn't like to say which might be better, but my Whest is one mighty phono preamp. Hope you've made the right choice.

Nor wood I, just wait till the regs are installed as well :eek:

It looks like a tank Andrew! :)

:rfl: I think it looks fit to take on anything that I can throw at it.

Congrats!

There is a lot to be said for having options... ...and selectable right on the front of the thing! Geez, if this thing had valves.............................. :)

Well, I'm not really bothered for the mono filter and would have preferred it without TBH, the subsonic filter is something that I'll have to have a play with.

sq225917
06-07-2012, 19:31
Don't be sucked in by the boxes, better is available for less.

drrd
06-07-2012, 20:24
Aqvox 2CI MkII, don't be put off by the price. You can go on a v.nice holiday with the left-overs.

WOStantonCS100
06-07-2012, 20:30

Perhaps, I'd certainly like to know where. It would have to sound better, have all the options this one has and more (easily selectable from the front panel), separate psu, valves, better build quality, nicer aesthetics (men are visual creatures) and still have a reasonable cost. If you can find all that, I'll have a look see and give serious consideration. What I (personally) have no interest in is an expensive, much hyped and lauded, "well engineered" product... that still has to be modified after you get it home. :)

Wakefield Turntables
06-07-2012, 20:34

whats the point in making a statement like this if you cant suggest anything :scratch:

sq225917
06-07-2012, 21:27
I'm just saying, it looks lovely, but there's more than the looks. How many mono records do you have? How many cartridges do you own? How many pre 68 records do you own? How really useful are all the bells and whistles going to be? For me the looks are utterly secondary to performance, maybe your priorities are different, in fact I'm sure they are.

I don't know what sound you like so making suggestions is hard, but I've heard this and on sonics alone it's off the money. Tom Evans does more for less, I thought Lurcher's valve stage was better as well as the Whest. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when it's up and running.

Marco
06-07-2012, 21:53
Whilst not wishing to rain on Andrew's parade - I really do hope you'll love your new phono stage (and I'm sure that'll be the case), but in some ways, Simon is right.

The fact is, the more circuitry the audio signal has to negotiate (a process necessary to facilitate the numerous functions on the Avid), the harder it is to maintain its integrity, especially when one is dealing with the delicate signal from a low-output MC cartridge.

That is precisely why I prefer to keep things 'simple, stupid', and ensure that the signal path is kept as short as possible, by shunning the use of phono stages with variable gain and loading, not to mention all the things that the Avid can do, and preferring to use a simple, but very high-quality hard-wired valve MM phono stage, in conjunction with an equally high-quality SUT, which has been specifically matched (sonically and electrically) to my cartridge of choice, by the manufacturer of both the cartridge and SUT.

It's difficult to get a more purist approach than that, as these days I only use one MC cartridge (my Ortofon SPU), and it's also precisely why the likes of Tom Evans matches his phono stages to the specific cartridge of the intended user, rather than providing any adjustments for gain and loading: you want to minimise the amount of 'gubbins' used in the circuit as much as possible.

Where phono stages, such as the Avid, come into their own, however, is when numerous different cartridges are used, all with various electrical requirements, on different turntables, and/or when the user seeks flexibility and the capability to fine-tune the end results.

In that respect, the Avid has few peers, although the Whest, and I would also suggest, the superb Leema Agena phono stage I've now had the pleasure of listening to on a few occasions (see here for details: http://www.leema-acoustics.com/shop/reference-series/agena), courtesy of Geoff (Oldius), with his utterly superb modified Goldring G99 T/T, would undoubtedly give it a run for its money.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of hearing Nick's valve phono stage, but I'm sure that it's a cracker!

Anyway, Andy, enjoy your new toy. I'm sure that it'll put a big smile on your face when it's in use rediscovering your record collection! :cool:

Marco.

WOStantonCS100
06-07-2012, 22:33
Whilst not wishing to rain on Andrew's parade - I really do hope you'll love your new phono stage (and I'm sure that'll be the case), but in some ways, Simon is right.

The fact is, the more circuitry the audio signal has to negotiate (a process necessary to facilitate the numerous functions on the Avid), the harder it is to maintain its integrity, especially when one is dealing with the delicate signal from a low-output MC cartridge.

That is precisely why I prefer to keep things 'simple, stupid', and ensure that the signal path is kept as short as possible, by shunning the use of phono stages with variable gain and loading, not to mention all the things that the Avid can do, and preferring to use a simple, but very high-quality hard-wired valve MM phono stage, in conjunction with an equally high-quality SUT, which has been specifically matched (sonically and electrically) to my cartridge of choice, by the manufacturer of both the cartridge and SUT.

It's difficult to get a more purist approach than that, as these days I only use one MC cartridge (my Ortofon SPU), and it's also precisely why the likes of Tom Evans matches his phono stages to the specific cartridge of the intended user, rather than providing any adjustments for gain and loading: you want to minimise the amount of 'gubbins' used in the circuit as much as possible.

Where phono stages, such as the Avid, come into their own, however, is when numerous different cartridges are used, all with various electrical requirements, on different turntables, and/or when the user seeks flexibility and the capability to fine-tune the end results.

In that respect, the Avid has few peers, although the Whest, and I would also suggest, the superb Leema Agena phono stage I've now had the pleasure of listening to on a few occasions (see here for details: http://www.leema-acoustics.com/shop/reference-series/agena), courtesy of Geoff (Oldius), with his utterly superb modified Goldring G99 T/T, would undoubtedly give it a run for its money.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of hearing Nick's valve phono stage, but I'm sure that it's a cracker!

Anyway, Andy, enjoy your new toy. I'm sure that it'll put a big smile on your face when it's in use rediscovering your record collection! :cool:

Marco.

Thoughtful response and one I agree with. The Bottlehead pre I use is about as simple as it can possibly be... ...and it's got... valves. :eyebrows:

Like you said though, multiple TT/cart setups would be so much simpler with the Avid, Esoteric or the like. :trust: :lol: I hate pulling and reconnecting ICs.

jaym481
06-07-2012, 22:40
Simple would be great if my software was simple, but pre-RIAA discs, 78s, and microgrove monos make things complicvated enough to require two tonearms, multiple carts and styli, and several phono inputs. That said, my "hi-fi" setup is one arm, cart, and a Tom Evans phono stage.

Wakefield Turntables
07-07-2012, 09:27

Marco.

I agree. Less is more. This is the philosophy I used when redesigning my plinth for the 1210 and minimising the pcb. That's why I don't have a strobe light, pitch slider or cueing light on the pcb. So I totally agree with you regards interference with the signal path.

I'm just saying, it looks lovely, but there's more than the looks. How many mono records do you have? How many cartridges do you own? How many pre 68 records do you own? How really useful are all the bells and whistles going to be? For me the looks are utterly secondary to performance, maybe your priorities are different, in fact I'm sure they are.

I don't know what sound you like so making suggestions is hard, but I've heard this and on sonics alone it's off the money. Tom Evans does more for less, I thought Lurcher's valve stage was better as well as the Whest. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when it's up and running.

I stand corrected and offer you a humble apology, perhaps I sounded a little terse, sorry about that. Simon, you have a valid point. I do actually have quite a few mono records. In fact I keep finding them and people keep giving them to me, lives hard :D

Thoughtful response and one I agree with. The Bottlehead pre I use is about as simple as it can possibly be... ...and it's got... valves. :eyebrows:

Like you said though, multiple TT/cart setups would be so much simpler with the Avid, Esoteric or the like. :trust: :lol: I hate pulling and reconnecting ICs.

I do have two tt the 301 And the 1210 and from time to time switch between both and I do indeed have several carts. So the avid should be a wise choice. Of course the other option is to buy the original pulsare mark one second and then have it upgraded to mk2 status but without the mono or subsonic filter, thus removing components from the chain. Decisions decisions :lol:

sq225917
07-07-2012, 10:01
With what you say re multiple deck and some old records it could be just the ticket then.

DSJR
07-07-2012, 10:10
I do like the idea of being able to change the input impedance of an mm style cartridge, but just one stock setting at 47K should have 30 - 40k and 68k added to it for fine tuning these. maybe not with a front panel switch (although a top quality switch with the important bits mounted close to where they're needed should be easy to do), but with plug-in loading or user changeable resistors?

For now, I'll stick to me Croft I think, but one day I'd love to make my own phono stage, probably based around op-amps to start with (nowt wrong with that if it's done right).

Audioman
07-07-2012, 10:26
Andrew. For this sort of money have you considered the EAR 324P. Looks to have great flexability and although solid state will be more valve like. Quote from a happy buyer on SH forum below.

What's it sound like? Well, my impressions are initial ones as I've only had it since Friday: it's like a very quiet and very transparent EAR 834P. With a lot more configuation flexibility and a much lower noise floor. The built-in step-up transformers are the same as in the MC3, which are superb, much better than than the SUTs the EAR 834P. Though this is an SS phono stage, you would not know it was not a tube device unless someone told you. You get more detail and resolution, but with all the sweetness, musicality, midrange magic that tubes bring, with and a high, sweet, extended top end, and virtually no downside of edge or glare, just more good stuff. And, it is VERY quiet. All in all, it sounds wonderful, in the exactly same way a Conrad-Johnson Premier 17 does: sweet, sweet, sweet. I'm having a hard time writing this because I keep getting pulled into the music.

I think you are wise to get an extended home audition. The Avid may have a quite different signiture but their decks swing towards the clinical presentation wise. I hope you're not going on badge and looks as this does not look like your usual criteria. Origin live also have a super flexible (again expensive) phono stage with knobs for easy adjustment. I have a nagging feeling with these super expensive phonos that similar SQ can be had for a lot less using a simple valve set up. Interestingly Haden Boardman has a new valve device for around £700 which I am sure you could obtain for trial. It is far less flexible of course and cottage industry in appearance by comparison but may be worth considering on a sound for pound basis.

Wakefield Turntables
07-07-2012, 14:04
Paul,

Muast admit that I've heard or tried any EAR products altough I have an excellent local independent hifi shop in Huddersfield that can get most stuff. A lot of you seem to be suggesting VALVE based phonostages which is something else that I also intend to purchase. I have a semi-decent valve system (yes it could be better ;)). But currently I really fancy a hi end phonostage which is SS and not of the thermionic inclination. ;)

I'm totally open to suggestion, so if you guys have any others then please fire away.

Stratmangler
07-07-2012, 14:39
Have you tried any of the Graham Slee stuff?
He's based down the road from you in Barnsley.

oldius
07-07-2012, 15:08
Andrew

You're welcome to visit and have a listen to the Agena. I compared it to a number of phono stages from whest, rega, anatek, linn, trichord etc. It blew them all away, not close in the context of my system.

Cheers

Marco
07-07-2012, 15:28
Hi Andy,

If you can manage it at all, I'd seriously recommend that you take up Geoff's offer, as the Agena is undoubtedly one of the finest SS phono stages I've ever heard, and also works like a dream with SUTs, in conjunction with its MM stage.

I've heard my SPU (and T/T) that way in Geoff's system, and it sounded stunning!! :eek:

I'm not anti-SS at all. The Agena and Martin's Whest (both SS), are amongst the best phono stages I've heard. I'm sure that there are plenty of others in that category, too.

However, the reason that many of us are recommending valve phono stages is that, if you get it right, valves & vinyl have a magic all of their own, and the results (in conjunction with a quality SUT) can be truly spectacular, simply due to keeping things 'simple, stupid'.

One must remember that with, for example, something as simple and fully hard-wired inside, such as a Croft MM valve phono stage, in conjunction with a top-notch SUT, there is much less 'stuff' in the way of the music signal than there is inside the majority of transistor MC stages and preamps, which are full of active devices and the associated parts needed for a working (and linear) gain circuit.

You must therefore decide which you value more: purity, via adopting the shortest signal path, or flexibility and convenience...

However, don't get the idea (just in case you are) that the best valve phono stages sound in any way 'romantic' or 'rose tinted', in comparison with SS, as I can assure that nothing could be further from the truth! ;)

Marco.

oldius
07-07-2012, 16:02
One advantage that the leema has is that it "turns off" the unused circuitry to maintain purity while still allowing the flexibility. How I don't know but I test only with my ears and it's marvelous to me.

Having heard Marco's stuff it's clear that both approaches have their place. I have a few decks though, so the leema suits me well.

chris@panteg
07-07-2012, 18:41
Andrew

You're welcome to visit and have a listen to the Agena. I compared it to a number of phono stages from whest, rega, anatek, linn, trichord etc. It blew them all away, not close in the context of my system.

Cheers

Looks to be a very impressive piece of kit , I like the design :) but as a Trichord Diablo user , I would be disappointed if the leema at £3500 , didn't blow my Diablo away ! The Linn and Anatek are also considerably cheaper ! The Whest is more of a fair comparison and perhaps should be worried by the Agena .

oldius
07-07-2012, 20:57
I had the whest and the anatek Mcr reference. Also listened to EAR, rega IOS. Too many to mention really.

Anyway offer there for listening if needed.

DSJR
07-07-2012, 21:27
Hi Andy,

You must therefore decide which you value more: purity, via adopting the shortest signal path, or flexibility and convenience...

However, don't get the idea (just in case you are) that the best valve phono stages sound in any way 'romantic' or 'rose tinted', in comparison with SS, as I can assure that nothing could be further from the truth! ;)

Marco.

This one would terrify the poo out of you then Marco - and no, I don't know why it's so complex unless it's for the loading-switching (Rega Ios Reference)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/040db929.jpg

Barry
07-07-2012, 21:40
This one would terrify the poo out of you then Marco - and no, I don't know why it's so complex unless it's for the loading-switching (Rega Ios Reference)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/DSJR_photos/040db929.jpg

What is it?

DSJR
07-07-2012, 21:52
Rega Ios Reference (I did put it in brackets :))

Barry
07-07-2012, 21:53
Rega Ios Reference (I did put it in brackets :))

Thanks. Sorry I didn't spot it! :doh:

DSJR
07-07-2012, 21:56
SUT's from our local manufacturer (Sowter) :)

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2012, 09:09
i think I have decided what I want! I'll be making a post tomorrow with piccies if I get to arrange a suitable deal. I hope I'm heading in the right direction with this purchase (big clue for you all). :lol:

chris@panteg
08-07-2012, 10:38
i think I have decided what I want! I'll be making a post tomorrow with piccies if I get to arrange a suitable deal. I hope I'm heading in the right direction with this purchase (big clue for you all). :lol:

Go whest young man :)

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2012, 12:58
Might be :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
08-07-2012, 13:04
Might be :eyebrows:

Nice choice ! I'm sure Martin wouldn't disagree , tis a fine bit of kit.

So you didn't fancy the Avid in the end then ?

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2012, 14:52
The avid is a mighty fine piece of kit. If this deal comes off then I will be getting a £4K phonostage for less than £1.5K, sure i'm gonna have to do a little box swapping and flog one or two things which are surplus to requirement. Ultimately, the system should, sonically be better and have more synergy with some of the SUTs that I have been looking at. If I buy the AVID I'll be spending a chunk of money on somewhat of an unknown entity. Hope this make some sense. :cool:

chris@panteg
08-07-2012, 15:01
Yep it does , sounds like a plan .

MartinT
08-07-2012, 16:03
At that price you must be looking at the PS30.RDT or even the MC Ref?

Wakefield Turntables
08-07-2012, 17:22
I'll leaving you guessing until the deal is sealed. ;)

Wakefield Turntables
09-07-2012, 17:20
Deal fell through so no new phonostage yet, guess i'll keep hunting!

Ali Tait
09-07-2012, 17:29
Just a suggestion, speak to MCRU about Nick's JFET phono stage, there was a demo unit that could be sent out. It's well worth hearing IMHO.

oldius
09-07-2012, 17:35
Offer open for the Agena session!

Wakefield Turntables
09-07-2012, 18:11
buying the phonostage has been put on hold at the moment as my deck will be going to deepest darkest Scotland for some urgent surgery! The hunt will begin again middle/back end of August.

MCRU
09-07-2012, 18:41

Glad someone thinks so as well as me!

MCRU
09-07-2012, 18:46
Just a suggestion, speak to MCRU about Nick's JFET phono stage, there was a demo unit that could be sent out. It's well worth hearing IMHO.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/LDA/a2fa1b93.jpg

It's with Paul Stewart of Musicosis at the moment, prior to that one of Hi-Fi Choice's reviewers Patrick Cleasby was listening to it and prior to that Tony Bolton of Hi-Fi World fame had it.

Nothing to stop me putting it on a train to Wakefield should the need arise.

Wakefield Turntables
09-07-2012, 18:57
I'd love to have a listen but the 1210 is fubar at the moment and will be probably until September. So, i'm taking a vinyl rest till I get it back. I'll be in contact when the techie is fully restored.

MCRU
09-07-2012, 19:02
Vinyl rest oh dear, could not live without mine. Borrow mine if you need to?

Wakefield Turntables
09-07-2012, 19:41
what your 401 and slate plinth setup?

chris@panteg
09-07-2012, 19:50
Andrew , don't you have an LP12 kicking around in the loft ? Could press that back into service surely .

MCRU
09-07-2012, 20:15
Well you could borrow that if you wanted but I have a spare brand new Techy, actually you can borrow the 401 as that would give me the room to put the Techy back in service as I found a nice SME 3009 to put on it.

I would need to take my cartridge off though, it has a 309 on it.

Wakefield Turntables
09-07-2012, 20:23
Andrew , don't you have an LP12 kicking around in the loft ? Could press that back into service surely .

Yeah i have but its armless at this moment and I dont really want to buy a new tonearm board to fit my old technoarm.

Well you could borrow that if you wanted but I have a spare brand new Techy, actually you can borrow the 401 as that would give me the room to put the Techy back in service as I found a nice SME 3009 to put on it.

I would need to take my cartridge off though, it has a 309 on it.

Thats incredibly generous of you. I may audition one or your valve phonostages whilst I'm at it. I'll get back to you if thats ok. Please dont think i'm being churlish I just have a few bits and pieces to get sorted out tonight.

MCRU
09-07-2012, 20:40

I have an Ariston in the garage with 3009 arm on as it happens!

MCRU
09-07-2012, 20:41
Yeah i have but its armless at this moment and I dont really want to buy a new tonearm board to fit my old technoarm.

Thats incredibly generous of you. I may audition one or your valve phonostages whilst I'm at it. I'll get back to you if thats ok. Please dont think i'm being churlish I just have a few bits and pieces to get sorted out tonight.

Not a problem at all

Audioman
13-07-2012, 21:12
As a matter of interest the Avid phono stage is reviewed in this months Hi-Fi World. £4300 :stalks: :eek:. Looks nice and got five globes (no surprise then) but I think price is an issue v sound improvement at that level. Andrew I am not surprised you failed to aquire one for £1500 :doh:. I am sure a more straightforward design within your budget is going to give you 95% + SQ. Incidently they were slightly less enthusiastic about the LongDog a couple months back :scratch:. Of course there are other stalwart alternatives such as Eastern Electric Minimax and the Icon Audio PS3.

MCRU
13-07-2012, 21:20
As a matter of interest the Avid phono stage is reviewed in this months Hi-Fi World. £4300 :stalks: :eek:. Looks nice and got five globes (no surprise then) but I think price is an issue v sound improvement at that level. Andrew I am not surprised you failed to aquire one for £1500 :doh:. I am sure a more straightforward design within your budget is going to give you 95% + SQ. Incidently they were slightly less enthusiastic about the LongDog a couple months back :scratch:. Of course there are other stalwart alternatives such as Eastern Electric Minimax and the Icon Audio PS3.

slightly being 4 out of 5, I had a phone call tonight as it happens from a very well respected audiophile from london, he wanted to know how Tony Bolton came to the conclusion that the LDA phono stage was not that good with opera/classical music as he was at that moment listening to the same track Tony used and said it was outstanding, superlatives were flowing, anyway I will leave the chap in question to commit his thoughts to paper any time soon.

Andrew can borrow the LDA phono stage for himself when he decides if he wants to try it at no cost as I will pay for transport there and back.

The demo unit is currently in London for the next few weeks as the chap in question says he needs another 10 years to do a proper review...:lol:

Marco
13-07-2012, 21:29
slightly being 4 out of 5, I had a phone call tonight as it happens from a very well respected audiophile from london, he wanted to know how Tony Bolton came to the conclusion that the LDA phono stage was not that good with opera/classical music as he was at that moment listening to the same track Tony used and said it was outstanding, superlatives were flowing...

System synergy? ;)

No audio component can ever be the 'best' in every system, dude.

Marco.

Audioman
13-07-2012, 22:15
slightly being 4 out of 5, I had a phone call tonight as it happens from a very well respected audiophile from london, he wanted to know how Tony Bolton came to the conclusion that the LDA phono stage was not that good with opera/classical music as he was at that moment listening to the same track Tony used and said it was outstanding, superlatives were flowing, anyway I will leave the chap in question to commit his thoughts to paper any time soon.

Andrew can borrow the LDA phono stage for himself when he decides if he wants to try it at no cost as I will pay for transport there and back.

The demo unit is currently in London for the next few weeks as the chap in question says he needs another 10 years to do a proper review...:lol:

I suppose different ears and system? However I would have thought the high price of the Avid would have knocked of a globe or resulted in a comment in the negatives column. Only downside of the Longdog is an apparent £500 price increase over it's previous incarnation. Nicer casing ? Anyway a home dem is certainly the only way to judge.

hifi_dave
14-07-2012, 09:56
Paul,

Muast admit that I've heard or tried any EAR products altough I have an excellent local independent hifi shop in Huddersfield that can get most stuff. A lot of you seem to be suggesting VALVE based phonostages which is something else that I also intend to purchase. I have a semi-decent valve system (yes it could be better ;)). But currently I really fancy a hi end phonostage which is SS and not of the thermionic inclination. ;)

I'm totally open to suggestion, so if you guys have any others then please fire away.

The EAR 324 is one of the finest phono stages I have heard and it is solid state. Totally practical and very versatile. Should be on the short list when considering a phono stage at this level.

Another excellent phono stage to hear is the Rega Reference IOS, which, despite the apparent complexity, does actually sound very good indeed.

lurcher
15-07-2012, 22:01
I suppose different ears and system? However I would have thought the high price of the Avid would have knocked of a globe or resulted in a comment in the negatives column. Only downside of the Longdog is an apparent £500 price increase over it's previous incarnation. Nicer casing ? Anyway a home dem is certainly the only way to judge.

Other than the casing and feet, an entirely different power supply and transformer, and being sold by VAT registered dealers.