PDA

View Full Version : Mains Cable R Us LDA power Supply for Bushmaster

SteveW
02-07-2012, 18:16
Aint the reviews and comments on Stans Bushmaster Dac getting a bit confusing. Not the content, just that stuff is getting lost quickly as threads develop so fast.
So...forgive me if this is wrong, but I posted this under Davids trade thread, and wanted to make sure my two pennyworth gets over, so I'm posting here as well. Mods- delete as required.

Well..picked up my MCRU LDA PS for the BM today (OK the acronyms need working on :lol:)

I am gob-smacked.
I didn't really know what to expect..
Hoping for an improvement, but nothing really prepared me for the improvement in what is already an outstanding DAC.
Going through CD after CD, track after track that I know only to well revealing detail that I had no idea was there.
However...what really floors me is the sheer musical sense that is a result of the Bush Master and LDA Power supply combined.
At one point I was fishing in my CD cupboard and I had to stop dead and just listen. I put on Richard Hawleys True Loves Gutter - an album I love, but here I was hearing emotion in Richard Hawleys voice I hadn't picked up on before, combined with subtle musical clues that had previously eluded me. How does the addition of a power supply do that?
I wasn't sure if I was being fool hardy by buying this unheard. Wrong. It aint going back.

The Vinyl Adventure
02-07-2012, 18:28
Told you it was good eh ... And mine wasn't the snazzy one with the extra bits that you have ...
It was like a whole new dac ... An already good dac made extra good!
Can't wait for mine to come back now all suped up and snazzy... God damn waiting game :)

Russell Turner
02-07-2012, 20:41
Strangely though I didn't think the difference was as significant on the pre-production model Nick lent me as my Squeezebox Touch experience with the Nick PSU was, where I was quite giddy at the difference it made.

Perhaps my system (or my ears) couldn't resolve the improvements to such a degree, there is a subtle improvement, but it's not monumental.

It's just like other PSU upgrades, in that the reduction in the noise floor of the supply brings about a more cleaner sound, which then translates itself into extra low level detail and ultimately a better sounding experience.

This doesn't put me off investigating purchasing an upgraded PSU, it's just that right now I haven't got the funds to splash out £200 on another power supply, I will just continue with the "beefy" 13v 1 amp PSU which I got from work, this has an almost similar improvement to the sound as the LDA one did.

Russ

The Vinyl Adventure
03-07-2012, 09:51
Coming to a hifi near me soon :)

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/8795cd08.jpg

magiccarpetride
03-07-2012, 16:41
Aint the reviews and comments on Stans Bushmaster Dac getting a bit confusing. Not the content, just that stuff is getting lost quickly as threads develop so fast.
So...forgive me if this is wrong, but I posted this under Davids trade thread, and wanted to make sure my two pennyworth gets over, so I'm posting here as well. Mods- delete as required.

Well..picked up my MCRU LDA PS for the BM today (OK the acronyms need working on :lol:)

I am gob-smacked.
I didn't really know what to expect..
Hoping for an improvement, but nothing really prepared me for the improvement in what is already an outstanding DAC.
Going through CD after CD, track after track that I know only to well revealing detail that I had no idea was there.
However...what really floors me is the sheer musical sense that is a result of the Bush Master and LDA Power supply combined.
At one point I was fishing in my CD cupboard and I had to stop dead and just listen. I put on Richard Hawleys True Loves Gutter - an album I love, but here I was hearing emotion in Richard Hawleys voice I hadn't picked up on before, combined with subtle musical clues that had previously eluded me. How does the addition of a power supply do that?
I wasn't sure if I was being fool hardy by buying this unheard. Wrong. It aint going back.

Sounds exciting. Link?

StanleyB
03-07-2012, 17:20
This doesn't put me off investigating purchasing an upgraded PSU, it's just that right now I haven't got the funds to splash out £200 on another power supply, I will just continue with the "beefy" 13v 1 amp PSU which I got from work, this has an almost similar improvement to the sound as the LDA one did.

I have been messing about with the Maplin CB radio linear PSU that I had bought to try out with the Caiman. I fitted the sbooster to it for good measure. Not a bad combination for less than £60.

The Vinyl Adventure
03-07-2012, 17:33
Which psu works best for you Stan?
If I remember a previous comment you use different ones in different systems ... But do you have a favorite?

Got my mcru lda one home today, plugged it in, couldn't be happier really! It sounds wonderful!!
It's hard to say if it's better the non bm spec one ... But if ita at all possible to rely on memory I would say this one sounds a little calmer, easier to listen to I suppose ...
One way or another this set up is definitely not movin from my system now!
Stunningly good, and I would say, now I'm used to the change it is (as Hannah originally insisted) better than the dac in the majik dsi ... Which when put in the contex of my liking it for its non digital sound compared to all manner of other stuff has to be a good thing!

StanleyB
03-07-2012, 17:50
Which psu works best for you Stan?
If I remember a previous comment you use different ones in different systems ... But do you have a favorite?
It's horses for courses.

The Vinyl Adventure
04-07-2012, 22:12
Should get a try of one of these batteries soon ... Bit scared after reading some of the posts mind...

Anyway, another evenings listening to the dac with both psu's this time ...
It supprises me how good the dac is going back to the smps jobby, but the dac really does come in to it's own with the MCRU one

Had a couple of hours home alone just after work and the one thing that struck me comparing the dac with and without posh psu and compared to just the majik dac is that with the psu the hifi doesn't seem as loud when you turn it up.
It's not that it isn't as loud, just that higher level listening is a lot more pleasurable ... It makes you want to crank the volume up and up!
I haven't had the volume past 12 and enjoyed it as much as I did this evening ... Daft punk has never sounded so awesome! What my neighbours must think of me I don't know!!

There is a track on 'xx' I think it's called fantasy ... The sweeping bass sounds coming from that, filling my entire living room ... There was no way I could have been comfortable at the levels I had it the evening before ... Stunning stuff!

Stan, Nick, once again ... Good work, this is an upgrade I really didn't think I was ever likely to be able to afford!

Alp
07-07-2012, 22:37
I have been messing about with the Maplin CB radio linear PSU that I had bought to try out with the Caiman. I fitted the sbooster to it for good measure. Not a bad combination for less than £60.

I too am reluctant to spend £200 on a PSU. The Maplin PSU works well for me with the BM as I have reported in the burn-in thread. I am now very tempted to try the sbooster with it.

MCRU
10-07-2012, 11:22
I too am reluctant to spend £200 on a PSU. The Maplin PSU works well for me with the BM as I have reported in the burn-in thread. I am now very tempted to try the sbooster with it.

As I offer a 30 day money back guarantee I always say to all my customers if the item you are considering does not give the improvements commensurate with money spent, return it. Hardly anyone ever does.

I can honestly say that the PSU's Nick builds for me have transformed so many people's systems for the better it is beyond belief the accolades I receive. Think of the Bushmaster and my PSU as a unit able to see off most £1000 CD players when connected to a pc or squeezebox, 2 customers even say 5k CD players struggle to beat Stan's DAC with my PSU. One was using a gaming laptop and the other was using a squeezebox as a transport.

Stan has produced a stonking DAC for the money and I hope he sells 1000's of them. In the scheme of things £200 may seem a lot to some people, we could produce a linear PSU for £100 but it would not sound anywhere near as good as the one we currently make.

StanleyB
10-07-2012, 19:23
Stan has produced a stonking DAC for the money and I hope he sells 1000's of them.
Easier said than done. The first batch took three weeks to sell out. The recent batch just sold out in 10 days :eek:. I just can't make them fast enough.

MCRU
10-07-2012, 19:34
Easier said than done. The first batch took three weeks to sell out. The recent batch just sold out in 10 days :eek:. I just can't make them fast enough.

Which is all good considering a new DAC gets released every week. You pitched yours at exactly the right price if I may say so, not too expensive and not too in-expensive (cheap is not in my vocabulary). When I get back off holiday at the end of July I am going over to Nick's for a serious bushmaster listening session! :)