PDA

View Full Version : Cart purchase

Pete
17-01-2009, 02:20
Guys and gals,

Looking for a new cart. Considering this:
http://www.puremusicgroup.com/cart/images/uploads/_MG_1662.jpg

Any thoughts? Should I consider the 0.24mv or 0.48mv version? Silver or copper coils?

I have a Pass Pearl Phono stage with about 55-60db gain, and my Candela preamp has another 12 db of gain.

John
17-01-2009, 08:15
If you can afford this then go for it
I have r100h which works really well in my system and heard the airy 3 which is pretty special
Have a read of the following link
http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Cartridges.html
But I have no idea how it work with the tonearm you have it maybe worth waiting for a response from someone who has the same arm I am sure Marco my point you down a different road
You should have enough gain to work well

i_should_coco
17-01-2009, 09:43
With the amount of gain you have, I'd go for the lower ouput version. And silver wire.

Marco
17-01-2009, 12:08
Hi Pete,

In your system, I'd definitely go for the lower output version as you have more than enough gain to make it perform optimally. This will do two significant things:

1) Allow you to have proper control of volume, and thus maximise the full dynamic range of recordings.

2) Less coil windings in moving coil cartridges (therefore lower output) means better sound quality - end of, providing the rest of the design is good!

Fortunately, the ZYX is an excellent cartridge, and if I didn't have such a love affair with Denons, it is one of the few genuine hi-end designs I would consider buying.

However, unlike Pete (i should coco) I would go for copper coils as they ZYX is already quite a 'clean and precise' sounding cartridge, so silver coils could tip the balance over the edge and create a more forward, 'etched' type of presentation, unless the sonic signature of your system currently is on the 'dark' and warm side.

Enjoy!

Marco.

Pete
17-01-2009, 15:23
Thanks guys.

I have been unsure about the .24mv version. On my preamp with the Denon 160 (1.6 mv??) cart I currently listen at the 9 o'clock position, and the pot goes all the way around to 5 o'clock position, so I am thinking I have lots of gain.

The silver is what I was leaning to, just not sure if I give up anything in terms of resolution, soundstage etc. According to what I've read and Sorasound (US Distributor) the silver is slightly warmer in presentation than the copper (usually the opposite is true).

Pete
17-01-2009, 15:36
They also sell a version with a silver weight (adds 4 grams I think).

This looks alot like a standard cartridge weight that goes between the tonearm and cart. Not sure I want to spend the extra $100, for the Zyx silver one, when I have one sitting in my box of bits for free....

Mike
17-01-2009, 16:36
the silver is slightly warmer in presentation than the copper (usually the opposite is true).

Not always the case...

With stranded silver plated copper it can be the case, but I usually find solid silver quite smooth.

Cheers...

markf
17-01-2009, 21:12
"They also sell a version with a silver weight (adds 4 grams I think)."

I bought a ZYX R100 -H-SB-Yatra (only option copper coils) with the silver weight (SB silver base) and high output 0.48mV.
I needed the silver base to bring the total weight up to around 10grams , I use a Brinkmann 10.5 arm and 10g is perfect. the silver base is fitted into the cart and doesn't look like an add on weight.
I use a Clearaudio balance phono stage 58db gain and the 0.48mV from the ZYX is good,
just the right amount of gain for my pre amp so my CD and TT are at similar volumes.
0.48mV is low compared to the Clearaudio carts at 0.7-0.8mV, I think for me the 0.24mV
option would have been too low.
Anyway the ZYX is great, best cartridge I have used, I bought it form Mehran at sorasound,he a good guy call him and he will get you a good deal.

Marco
17-01-2009, 22:15
Not always the case...

With stranded silver plated copper it can be the case, but I usually find solid silver quite smooth.

That's absolutely true. There's a big difference between plated and solid, and even solid v. solid, depending on the purity.

Marco.

Pete
18-01-2009, 05:04
Well after reading, and talking to other zyx owners, and mulling it over all day long, and having a long talk with Mehran as Sorasound, I ended up with:

http://www.puremusicgroup.com/cart/images/uploads/_MG_1660.jpg

Don't ask how much it cost... way out there!!!

But: source first, I always say :lolsign:

markf
18-01-2009, 07:58
Great,
now you've got the cartridge sorted any plans for a new turntable ?

Pete
18-01-2009, 15:42
For now I will be content with the modded SL-1210 Mk5 w/SME 309 arm.

I will probably put another phono cable on it since I have read that is one of the weakest points of this arm.

Now I just need Dave C. to send the the 309 arm :confused:

Not sure what turntable will soundly beat the 1210 when it is properly modded and isolated. Anyways there is no money for that now :lol:

Marco
18-01-2009, 15:58
Not sure what turntable will soundly beat the 1210 when it is properly modded and isolated.

With the above attended to and a cartridge like yours on it, I don't think you've got anything to worry about! :eyebrows:

Marco.

John
18-01-2009, 18:07
The airy 3 is a great choice

Pete
18-01-2009, 21:18
The airy 3 is a great choice

I hope its not as super tweaky as some internet voices claim.

This hobby is nuts, isn't it?

Pete
23-01-2009, 03:13
Listening to the Zyx Airy3 now:) Big step up from the Denon DL160.
Bigger soundstage, much more resolving, deep bass, more extended highs, and much cleaner sounding.

When I installed it I forgot to switch the loading resistor and still had the Pearl phono set up for the 47kohm cart loading. I think the cart is almost unstable electrically (feedback) with this load. Just moving the tonearm I could hear vibrations in the cart/tonearm coming from of the speakers. And putting it on the record and off I got a huge pop, one of them put my amp into some sort of thermal protect mode, I think (got a loud popping noise repeating about 1-2 times a second, scared the sh*t out of me.) :doh:

Anyway I let the amp rest for about 20 minutes. Then I remembered the loading resistor. Switched to 100ohms, and everything worked normal again when I turned everything back on. No more cart feedback/noise from vibration on the cartridge and the amp was okay, as well as my speakers. T

That was spooky. :eek: