PDA

View Full Version : 2 Unit Headphones

Mr Kipling
01-07-2012, 08:47
Hi,

Anyone had experience of headphones using LF & HF drivers? No one here with Audio Technica AT-H7s?

Kind Regards

technobear
02-07-2012, 16:15
No and can't understand why anyone would want a two-way or any other multi-way headphone.

Why place a crossover circuit (aka: evil destroyer of timing and coherence) in the way of your music when a single driver is perfectly capable of spanning the full audible range with outstanding sound quality?

Nuts if you ask me :mental:

Yes, I know... you weren't asking me :(

Still think it's nuts though :ner:

Mr Kipling
02-07-2012, 18:59
I only asked! The idea seemed a bit unusual to me - which is why I asked the question. I would imagine the crossover to be pretty rudimentary.

Kind Regardr,
Stephen

technobear
02-07-2012, 19:57
Multi-driver setups are quite common in higher end in-ear monitors now. These mainly use balanced armature drivers rather than dynamic or orthodynamic (planar magnetic).

You aroused my interest so I looked up the ATH-7. It appears to be an electret headphone from 1979 and I can find little more than that. Is this the one or are you meaning something different?

Mr Kipling
02-07-2012, 20:23
The two questions are separate. I was curious about more than one driver being used in a design from the 70s and was wondering if it was common practise then. I have a pair of AT-H7s which as you rightly say are electret. I would like some help with regards the transformer box, but I've drawn a blank here.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

technobear
02-07-2012, 21:23
The ATH 7 gets a few mentions on HeadFi - http://www.head-fi.org/f/ - but nothing helpful.

daytona600
03-07-2012, 13:29
mine have 2 drivers full range with a supertweeter
some hi-end in ear monitors have several

goraman
04-07-2012, 17:51
The Superex St pro was the first to do this, the best ever made was the ST pro B and they are fantastic, sound stage is unreal to.
Most single driver unites lack very low end bass and most headphones have so meny dips and rises in the response a xover is the least of there problems.