PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about this 1200MK2?

cube-tube
30-06-2012, 17:34
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RoyLCraft-Technics-Turntable-SERVICES-Audiophile-DJ-SL-1200MK2-Custom-Create-LP-/330712826840?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4d000543d8#ht_3372wt_1209

Pretty crazy stuff, and seems more like "go-fasters" than anything actually helpful.

mike1210
30-06-2012, 17:48
"This is the best sounding 1200MK2, period"

A bold statement to say the least!!!

Can you smell that..........smells like bullsh*t lolololol.

mike1210
30-06-2012, 17:52
Just too add

No power supply mod or bearing mod. Very slight Tonearm mod and platter mod:scratch:

Wakefield Turntables
30-06-2012, 18:16
Lots of nice bright fancy LEDS's putting a strain on the onboard power supply. A newly modified plinth which has no justified evidence to prove thats its any better than the original. HHHmmmmmmmmmm let me think....:scratch: Why has no-one with some really tricked out 1210's replaced there plinth:scratch: Answer, because the original design works exeptionally well. Looks like $hit, the logic behind it is $hit, that deck is $hit. Avoid... :trust:

prestonchipfryer
30-06-2012, 18:16
Oh dear, oh dear. Too much blingy, wingy, blingy shiiite. Seriously: How much interference are those bright led's emitting. Beam me up ffs. :rolleyes:

Marco
30-06-2012, 18:24
Hideous in the extreme - I wouldn't give that monstrosity house room, if you paid me!! :spew:

Marco.

cube-tube
30-06-2012, 19:15
LOL!

I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks the same about these mods. Yikes!

BTW REXTON, I have absolutely no plans on buying one of those heaps.

Wakefield Turntables
30-06-2012, 20:11
LOL!

I'm glad I'm not the only who thinks the same about these mods. Yikes!

BTW REXTON, I have absolutely no plans on buying one of those heaps.

Sir! I commend you on your superior intelligence from refraining from buying such a piece $hit :rfl:

Effem
30-06-2012, 20:18
Four hundred and fifty bucks plus shipping two ways to turn a good turntable into a bag of worthless shite :rolleyes:

cube-tube
30-06-2012, 21:12
Sir! I commend you on your superior intelligence from refraining from buying such a piece $hit :rfl:

Why thank you. Yeah, I'm quite happy with my nearly stock SL-1700MK2. And the mods that I eventually do will NOT be anything like that pooh.

drrd
01-07-2012, 07:40
Actually despite the picture looking very iffy the mods described seem very reasonable. Damping the platter, the main chassis and the armboard are all things I've tried myself and found make an audible difference. I've had a bearing upgrade from the outset so never tested how much difference there is c/w stock but there's reasonable theory behind it so I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying. Regarding PSU upgrades I can accept the Technics sounds slightly loose stock off standard mains but for me when it's properly grounded and run off balanced power it's really rock solid pitch-wise without any further mods. Fair enough rip into this for the dodgy picture or the cost but this stuff isn't beyond DIY and I'm not sure spending £1K+ on PSU and platter mods is money better spent.

Alex_UK
01-07-2012, 07:52
Aside from the silly lights, it isn't that bad, but then you all know how awful my taste is! When I first saw it I thought it was a twin arm mod - now that would be interesting...

chris@panteg
01-07-2012, 08:34
I'm a little dubious about the plinth mod and the idea that the original all rubber base was better ? But the platter mod is interesting and in all honesty I wouldn't knock it until I'd heard it , $450 isn't silly money and the feedback is good .

Mr Kipling
01-07-2012, 08:54
But, isn't it a disco turntable !?!

chris@panteg
01-07-2012, 08:57

Oh yes :D I've been using one for years lol

Wakefield Turntables
01-07-2012, 09:24

:spank: You need to be very careful coming out with comments like that round these parts :lol: If I were you I'd be a hiding right now from the 1210 mafia. :sofa:

Macca
01-07-2012, 09:27
:spank: You need to be very careful coming out with comments like that round these parts :lol: If I were you I'd be a hiding right now from the 1210 mafia. :sofa:

The contract has already been raised. Tonight, he sleeps with the fishes.

Wakefield Turntables
01-07-2012, 09:35
dont forget to fetch me a couple of salmon on your return

Mr Kipling
01-07-2012, 09:37
Sorry. (I'm not, actually!) Try as I may, (and I did try) I just couldn't resist it! (Snigger! Snigger!)

Wakefield Turntables
01-07-2012, 09:38
Fair enough rip into this for the dodgy picture or the cost but this stuff isn't beyond DIY and I'm not sure spending £1K+ on PSU and platter mods is money better spent.

You try spending the time, money, research and effort into making a top end PSU or turning and designing a new bearing for less than £1K in your garage. I'd like to see your efforts.

chris@panteg
01-07-2012, 09:57
The contract has already been raised. Tonight, he sleeps with the fishes.

Wait until Don Marco hears of this ! Comes on here and shows no respect :rolleyes:

drrd
01-07-2012, 11:14
You try spending the time, money, research and effort into making a top end PSU or turning and designing a new bearing for less than £1K in your garage. I'd like to see your efforts.

Didn't say they're not materially worth the sticker price.

cube-tube
01-07-2012, 14:10
If he were to leave off all of the goofy LED's everywhere, then he may have something somewhat decent there, but not $450 worth.

As far as putting foam in the base, he doesn't say what kind of foam is used, such as open cell or closed cell, or even spray expanding foam. If it were me, I wouldn't use foam at all. I would use heavy felt. It's more dense and would absorb bass frequencies better.

And speaking of more dense, he says he uses a 5 layered bonded hardwood core in the platter. Sounds like some kind of typical plywood to me. Again, I would use something more like MDF because it's a more dense material. His 12" wood "disk" that he bonds to the platter only adds 0.75 lb, an MDF version would probably double that at least.

Lastly, I wouldn't be wasting a perfectly good tonearm and headshell for the "Dust King". But that's just me.

Macca
01-07-2012, 14:17
Lastly, I wouldn't be wasting a perfectly good tonearm and headshell for the "Dust King". But that's just me.

No it's not. Always avoid any product that has the word 'king' in it's name. ;)

It would seem he has a replacement platter to offer and the rest is either bling (LEDs - who cares?) or pointless twiddling about, but no-one is going to go through the hassle and expense of 2 way shipping just to get a new platter so more has to be offered to make it worthwhile.

Whilst on the subject I don't really get this thing about the stock platter 'ringing' much less 'ringing like a gong' but one sees it mentioned time and again. If it was that bad they would not have used it to begin with. Plus the mat on top surely damps any resonances I would have thought.

cube-tube
01-07-2012, 16:33
Whilst on the subject I don't really get this thing about the stock platter 'ringing' much less 'ringing like a gong' but one sees it mentioned time and again. If it was that bad they would not have used it to begin with. Plus the mat on top surely damps any resonances I would have thought.

Well, while holding the platter by one of the holes and tapping it, it does in fact ring, but I don't think it matters. Like you say, once the mat is in place, the mat pretty much eliminates the ringing. Plus, who's sitting in front of their TT thumping the platter while listening to a record being played on it?

Some tweaks I think are just hokey, dampening the stock platter being one of them. You want to dampen it? Just put the mat back on it and it's perfectly damped. Now going to a heavier platter makes sense in theory, however even with the light stock platter, I can't detect any wow & flutter. Even watching the strobe markings on the side of the platter, it's rock solid.

Macca
01-07-2012, 16:38
. Now going to a heavier platter makes sense in theory, however even with the light stock platter, I can't detect any wow & flutter. Even watching the strobe markings on the side of the platter, it's rock solid.

Yep - the 1200/1210 has very low wow and flutter, that being, as I understand it, one of the main design criteria. It's fixing something that ain't broke.

RobbieGong
01-07-2012, 21:00
So just what is the problem with the stock armboard / armboard area ? - Also what is a simple way to improve this :scratch: - anyone ? :)

cube-tube
01-07-2012, 21:49
So just what is the problem with the stock armboard / armboard area ? - Also what is a simple way to improve this :scratch: - anyone ? :)

Nothing that I know of. The seller talks about his "trade mark" rubber bushings and such, yet as far as I know, the entire tonearm system has a rubber gasket that goes on the plinth before the tonearm gets mounted, so there's no "metal on metal" contact as he mentions in his ad.

Come to think about it, he mentions a lot of "trade mark" things, none of which are probably anything useful or noteworthy.

Darren
01-07-2012, 22:22
I wanna Dust King! And a Wood-in Platter!
This is top of the line stuff you philistines.........