PDA

View Full Version : 2nd system suggestions....

Hozepipe
16-01-2009, 10:30
Bit of a wide open question but I really don't know where to start. I want to get a 2nd system up and running, it would be running streaming music from iTunes/airport (or something better?) or direct from a MacBook (+ DAC?) and be compact but decent (obviously). The wife is used to my system (PT, Audio Research, AE1s) so I there are standards to uphold ;)

Anyway, if anyone has some experience with setting up such a system and can recommend components that'll do a decent job for under £350 I'm all ears. We're talking amp and speakers really. Small but plenty of welly. 2nd hand suggestions as well as new would be good.

EG I quite like the Firestone products, so stuff like that in terms of size & quality (though I've never heard them).

Ali Tait
16-01-2009, 12:34
No brainer on the DAC front-buy Stan's 7510+ which will be available soon.If you use the variable output,you have a DAC and pre all in one.It has a USB connection.

aquapiranha
17-01-2009, 10:47
I would agree with Ali's comments, and maybe add a quality set of active standmounts from the likes of Dolphin music?

Hozepipe
17-01-2009, 14:15
Thanks guys - I'll keep an eye out for Stan's DAC, and active speakers is a good idea, didn't think about that! Nice.

Ali Tait
18-01-2009, 09:13
It'll certainly keep the box count down! Another thought is AVI ADM9's.Over budget maybe,but you would get pre,dac and speaker all in one package.You'd just need to feed them from your mac.Apart from the speakers,no boxes at all!

Hozepipe
18-01-2009, 19:01
Yeah, nice Ali but over my budget. I just bought one of Stan's DACs should be here Tuesday - might keep that for myself though :)

I did stumble across this Fat Man iTube Carbon thing, there's one with speakers for about 269 (clearance deal). Looks kind of snazzy and it's little. 25 watts. They had the smaller one in Comet today (I was in there looking strictly at white goods honest) - the sales lady came up to me and said something along the lines of 'looks like something your granddad had in his shed doesn't it?) I didn't say anything :)

She offered to hook up an ipod so I could hear it, so I thought, aright I'm game, but couldn't get it working. Maybe not such a good idea after all ???

Anyone heard one?

Ali Tait
18-01-2009, 20:50
Nope,but if it's got valves it must be good! :)

Hozepipe
18-01-2009, 21:41
I wasn't planning on bottles but its a bonus - its a SS power amp though, but I bought it anyway on a bit of whim as it was only £269 delivered and it comes with speakers. It looks quite smart actually. I've got my 7 day cooling off period if I was too hasty :)

s

Ali Tait
18-01-2009, 21:53
So how does it sound?

Hozepipe
18-01-2009, 22:13
No got it yet - bought it online, hence the 7 days within which I can notify the seller and return it. Distance selling regs and all that.
EDIT: ah I can see reading my previous post that it sounds like I actually possessed it - I saw the littler one in Comet, which is what I was referring to looking OK.

Ali Tait
18-01-2009, 22:29
Ok cool,let us know what you think.

Hozepipe
19-01-2009, 09:38
Will do. I'm not expecting much, but that's probably a good thing:eyebrows: