PDA

View Full Version : Need a stylus for Shure cartridge

northwest
29-06-2012, 21:57
I have a SHURE M55E cartridge but the stylus is only good for the bin. I wanted to just use it as a simple standby/comparison and looking around I see there are new stylus' available on ebay for very modest sums. Are they any good or shall I just bite the bullet and buy an SAS stylus?

ninedecks
30-06-2012, 07:15
I have a SHURE M55E cartridge but the stylus is only good for the bin. I wanted to just use it as a simple standby/comparison and looking around I see there are new stylus' available on ebay for very modest sums. Are they any good or shall I just bite the bullet and buy an SAS stylus?

I havn't had the opportunity to hear the difference between Jico and Ed Saunders, but I am using the Ed Saunders replacement stylus in Shure V15 11 and 111. I find them ok for my listening.

Just had a look through my collection of cartridges. I seem to have a surfeit of M75 but not one M55.

David

DSJR
30-06-2012, 10:06
I have an Ed Saunders tipped M55e and it's very good. Tracking at 1.75g or so the tracking is clean and the sound not dull at all.

Expert Styli do a range of third party styli too at very fair prices - under £20 for an M75-ED type I understand. I don't know who makes them, but they won't be rubbish :)

The Jico's do seem to have an excellent reputation and I think perhaps the performance is actually better than the originals, either due to a superior diamond grind & polish, or changes in the magnet (cylindrical rather than the Shure rectangular shaped one). The SAS styli they make are more sphisticated all round, and having seen measurements on the M97 SAS compared to a good Shure original (on HFE IIRC), I's day these definitely improve on the originals.

tannoy man
01-07-2012, 13:12
+1 Ed Saunders, but I Use 2.5g Tracking Force:)

DSJR
01-07-2012, 17:13
Whatever :) It's so long since I messed around with one I just set it up in the Lab 80 at the "universal" elliptical playing weight and off it went with no obvious mistracking. The tip profile isn't supposed to mind a 3g downforce though, but I don't like to overload things if not necessary.