PDA

View Full Version : Giggs over Beckham - you're having a laaarf right?

Gmanuk101
29-06-2012, 11:47
Dear Stuart Pearce

Although I now forgive you for missing THAT penalty in 1990, I can't see how you have seen fit to pick Ryan Giggs over David Beckham for Team GB.

Mumble mumble groan complain.

Yours

Mr Tiggy Tosh Winkle Dribble

p.s I bet your Sony Walkman hasn't even got Auto-Reverse!

myles
29-06-2012, 11:51
The whole Beckham thing has got me thinking. If we are presenting players with a place for their efforts in different fields (ie. not football) then we should just start with the Queens Birthday Honours List eleven.
Beckham has been a great servant to his country both in his sport, and his tireless efforts with the Olympics, but he should be picked on his ability and form. He plays in America. That should say enough.
He will be knighted, when though I dont know. One for another discussion methinks.

Daniel Quinn
29-06-2012, 11:54
Strictly speaking it may not have been giggs over beckham , it could have been micah richards over beckham.

However , whoever it was , they are both premier league players and beckam turns out for a sunday afternoon kick about with 10 americans. :lol:

Gmanuk101
29-06-2012, 11:54
He plays in America. That should say enough.

He's also played for AC Milan in the U.S off season, they are pretty damn good.

I agree with what you are saying on form etc.. however he's still better imo than a lot of the players who have been picked. Michah Richards comes to mind.

Gmanuk101
29-06-2012, 11:56
Strictly speaking it may not have been giggs over beckham , it could have been micah richards over beckham.

However , whoever it was , they are both premier league players and beckam turns out for a sunday afternoon kick about with 10 americans. :lol:

lol, like it.

Galaxy team are still a better side them most championship sides imo.

Stick him in goal! ;)

Gmanuk101
29-06-2012, 11:56
Also ANYONE who used Dr DRE BEATS headphones should be excluded.

Daniel Quinn
29-06-2012, 11:57
his ac milam cameo was a couple of years ago , this offseason he trained with spurs .

Daniel Quinn
29-06-2012, 11:57
youve changed my mind with the last post - up the beckham :lol:

Stratmangler
29-06-2012, 12:53
however he's still better imo than a lot of the players who have been picked. Michah Richards comes to mind.

Micah Richards has a Premier League Champions medal for the 2011/2012 season :eyebrows:

WAD62
29-06-2012, 13:22
Micah Richards has a Premier League Champions medal for the 2011/2012 season :eyebrows:

And was very unlucky not to make the Euros...

Beckham's been over the hill for some time now, you'd be better off with Glenn Hoddle, or even Bobby Charlton...at least he could tackle ;)

Daniel Quinn
29-06-2012, 13:42
point of clarification . ;)

Micah richards was not unlucky to miss out on the euro's . He was in my opinion mistakenly left out of the original squad. However , he then threw a strop and said he would not go on stand by because he had a holiday booked
[ could he not afford to lose his deposit :lol:]

As it happens due to subsequent injuries had he not thrown a strop he would very likely have made it .

Marco
29-06-2012, 15:14
Dear Stuart Pearce

Although I now forgive you for missing THAT penalty in 1990, I can't see how you have seen fit to pick Ryan Giggs over David Beckham for Team GB.

Mumble mumble groan complain.

Why not? Another Welshman (along with Bellamy) is always welcome to dilute the English contingent a bit! ;)

Marco.

Gmanuk101
02-07-2012, 11:35
Team SPAIN for the win ;)

Marco
02-07-2012, 11:37
:eyebrows: Aye!

Marco.

chelsea
02-07-2012, 11:47
Football shouldn't be in the olympics....nor tennis.

Stratmangler
07-07-2012, 22:44
Football shouldn't be in the olympics....nor tennis.

Why not?
They're both sporting activities.
There has been a football tournament at all bar two Olympic Games in the last century or so.
It's a similar story with tennis.

One of the medal winning categories used to be art :eek:

chris@panteg
08-07-2012, 10:43
Why not?
There has been a football tournament at all bar two Olympic Games in the last century or so.

They used to have cricket in early 1900s games , and the USA won a gold I think , they should bring it back in the 20/20 format ?

chelsea
08-07-2012, 11:34
Why not?

Means nothing.
Most clubs won't allow there players to take the risk of injury.

Would rather have under 17s playing than professionals.

Stratmangler
08-07-2012, 11:56
Means nothing.
Most clubs won't allow there players to take the risk of injury.

Would rather have under 17s playing than professionals.

If you take a look at team GB you'll find a team full of under 23 year olds, with the notable exception of Micah Richards (who has only just turned 24), Craig Bellamy, and Ryan Giggs.

Squad: Jack Butland (Birmingham), Jason Steele (Middlesbrough); Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham), Craig Dawson (West Brom), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Neil Taylor (Swansea), James Tomkins (West Ham); Joe Allen (Swansea), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Jack Cork (Southampton), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United), Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Scott Sinclair (Swansea); Craig Bellamy (Liverpool), Marvin Sordell (Bolton), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

So as you can see there is a large Premier League turnout from our side.

As to how seriously other countries take football at the Olympics http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2008_Summer_Olympics

Marco
08-07-2012, 12:04
S'cuse my ignorance of the rules, but how can it be called "Team GB", when as far as I can see, there are no Scots or Irish players in the team? :scratch:

Is the team drawn purely from players in the English Leagues or what? If so, that's not exactly fair, as there are a few Scottish Old Firm players, for example, who are good enough to be part of the team.

Marco.

Stratmangler
08-07-2012, 12:18
S'cuse my ignorance of the rules, but how can it be called "Team GB", when as far as I can see, there are no Scots or Irish players in the team? :scratch:

Is the team drawn purely from players in the English Leagues or what? If so, that's not exactly fair, as there are a few Scottish Old Firm players, for example, who are good enough to be part of the team.

Marco.

It hasn't got anything to do with rules, but it might have a lot to do with SFA political nonsense.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/international/275510-scottish-football-association-says-no-to-team-gb-after-manager-announcement/

So your own people have shot themselves in the foot.

chris@panteg
08-07-2012, 12:59
The Scottish FA made it very clear they didn't want any player's taking part !

chelsea
08-07-2012, 14:30
What a bunch of tossers.

Marco
08-07-2012, 14:53
It hasn't got anything to do with rules, but it might have a lot to do with SFA political nonsense.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/international/275510-scottish-football-association-says-no-to-team-gb-after-manager-announcement/

So your own people have shot themselves in the foot.

Ah, I didn't know anything about that, as I haven't followed the situation. Thanks for the clarification, dudes. TBH, even after reading the article, I'm still none the wiser as to what the objection of the SFA is :scratch:

Marco.

Stratmangler
08-07-2012, 15:54
Ah, I didn't know anything about that, as I haven't followed the situation. Thanks for the clarification, dudes. TBH, even after reading the article, I'm still none the wiser as to what the objection of the SFA is :scratch:

Marco.

That's you and me both.