PDA

View Full Version : hello from bristol

LostinWatts
28-06-2012, 08:32
Hi, new to the forum. Just starting out on the hifi bug and thought it was about time I joined up!

My system:

Thorens TD160 with rega arm/cart
Pioneer Precision CD
NAD C350
Celestion 7000 hybrid speakers

Cheers

Dave

The Grand Wazoo
28-06-2012, 08:39
Hi Dave,
Welcome to AoS and thanks for the introduction.
What sort of music do you like?

Cheers

shane
28-06-2012, 09:05
Hi Dave, and welcome. Are those the Celestions with the ribbons on one corner? I always thought they should be really good but you never hear anything about them. How do you get on with them?

LostinWatts
28-06-2012, 17:02
Thanks Paul its mostly modern indie/dance music with a good dollop of 60s/70s/80s rock and folk LPs.

A few favourites of the moment are We Are Augustines (NY springsteen meets mumford) and Alt J (quirky indie from cambridge).

LostinWatts
28-06-2012, 17:06
Shane, the 7000s are good, i like them, although im going to need (well want!) a better amplifier to get the best out of them. I'll try and post some photos soon.

Beechwoods
28-06-2012, 17:56
Welcome to the forum Dave. You're not the only one from Bristol. Which bit are you from?

Hope you enjoy it here.

Barry
28-06-2012, 18:27
Welcome to AoS Dave (from an ex-Bristolian).

Those Celestion speakers of yours sound interesting. Can you tell us a bit more about them?

Nice range of music you enjoy.

Regards

Alex_UK
01-07-2012, 08:21
Hi Dave, welcome from me too - enjoy AoS.

LostinWatts
07-07-2012, 11:42
OK got round to posting some pics. Sorry iphone doesn't do well indoors but heres the listening room:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=938

LostinWatts
07-07-2012, 12:23
The 7000s were donated by my Dad (thanks Dad!), he has another pair with the real wood veneer which he is keeping and he runs them with Audio Innovations 2000 monoblock valves.

These were Celestions flagship model in the 90s. They are a 2 1/2 way version of the 3000 with a bigger cabinet and 2x8" drivers instead of 1. Crossover at 900Hz and 300Hz. Sensitivity is 86dB and impedance 4ohms.

Even with the Nad you can hear what these speakers are like. Their best feature is they image really well and voices and instruments sound real and hang between and behind the speakers. I find myself putting on lots of live recordings like the Who Live at Leeds and Pink Floyd Ummagumma because they recreate a concert ambience so well. They basically sound like they look: big!

Odd features: They have to be set up parallel and about six inches from the rear wall. Distance from the wall really affects the bass output so I had to experiment with this. Also, you have to be sitting down to listen to them. If you stand up the treble just disappears along with the imaging, so when random people walk in the room (its a shared house so this happens quite often) I have to tell them to crouch down!

If the speakers have a weakness its the bass. It doesn't seem to go as low as I'd expect given the size and its slightly ponderous. Sounds fine with pop/rock but its not controlled enough for dance music. Previously I had some Kef Q35s, a REL Q100 sub and a Cyrus 2/PSX and it did a better job in this respect. Perhaps I'm being unfair as I've yet to hear the 7000s with a powerful solid state amp.

LostinWatts
07-07-2012, 12:25
A speaker with the cover off:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=138&pictureid=940