PDA

View Full Version : WTB Yamaha CT 7000

hifi_dave
26-06-2012, 18:49
I'm looking for a Yamaha CT 700 tuner and it must be in good condition.

Any idea how much these sell for ?

Thank you.

Daniel Quinn
26-06-2012, 19:16
There is a retrospective article on them in the current Hifi news it says between £500-£1000 depending upon condition .

nat8808
26-06-2012, 19:30
Saw one for sale at an audio jumble a few months ago - guy only had that and two Studer reel-to-reels and didn't seem to get any interest in his stall at all...

Might be able to discover who it was by contacting John Bell at Royal Hifi (cannonman on the forums) as he organised the faire.

Sell for and asking prices are different - dont think I've ever seen one sell for £1000. Maybe more the £500 end..

UPDATE: My new interesting website find (http://hifi-preise.com) gives 4 from ebay - two sold ~ £350 and two didn't sell ~ £450. So perhaps look on ebay.de for those prices.

DSJR
26-06-2012, 20:22
You're mad David :lol:

All that money just to hear how bad most UK broadcasts are these days :(

I know I know, I sold 'em too at the time and like most other dealers, took the bloomin' thing totally for granted :)

Volante
27-06-2012, 07:22
They do come up from time to time at just a few hundred a time - was one around on one of the forums a year ago.

Alternatively keep your eyes open for a Tandberg 3001a if one comes up - they are VERY VERY good

Mike
27-06-2012, 08:10
Ending today!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECOND-HAND-YAMAHA-CT-7000-/261050303719?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Tuners&hash=item3cc7cf84e7

Mike
27-06-2012, 08:19
A bit more expensive!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FABULEUX-TUNER-HIGH-END-VINTAGE-YAMAHA-CT-7000-FM-7-CAGES-CHROME-LAQUE-PIANO-/290602540170?pt=FR_Image_Son_Hifi_Son_Recepteurs_S tereo&hash=item43a942dc8a

hifi_dave
27-06-2012, 08:56
Many thanks.

Spectral Morn
27-06-2012, 10:53
Good tuner but over rated to an extent (imho/e) and the hifi news review/retrospective will shove prices up but for what? For those who are so insecure (not saying that about you btw) they can't make a few informed decisions based on listening to a few tuners or reading the old Gordon King :youtheman: HiFi Choice reviews. While working on my own series of tuner related reviews my respect for him has grown a great deal and while subjective sound quality is not high on the agenda in these articles, in the round he gets it right.

In my opinion the Sony 5000FW, Accuphase T101 (you have one of these already), Pioneer TX7100 and Revox B760 are slightly better. However system synergy like all things is a factor.

However if you just want one to have one then fair enough.

I saw a CT7000 on ebay awhile ago in mint nick etc for £250 bin, I passed as I felt it was too good to be true; who knows it might have been a good one and I was a fool not to buy it.

Anyway once my reviews are finished a fair number of the tuners I gathered up will be put up for sale and I think a few people will be shocked by the ones I keep over the ones I sell.

Spectral Morn
27-06-2012, 10:59
A bit more expensive!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FABULEUX-TUNER-HIGH-END-VINTAGE-YAMAHA-CT-7000-FM-7-CAGES-CHROME-LAQUE-PIANO-/290602540170?pt=FR_Image_Son_Hifi_Son_Recepteurs_S tereo&hash=item43a942dc8a

Very nice case on that one over the bog standard rather cheap looking normal case.

DSJR
27-06-2012, 13:12
The Revox wasn't as good sounding as the CT7000 at the time - we had both side by side - the Revox being slightly grainy sounding in comparison.

Sadly for UK FM lovers, it's how each tuner reproduces the compression and Optimod rather than outright "fidelity" to the original signal these days. Such a great shame :(

Beobloke
27-06-2012, 14:23
Saw one for sale at an audio jumble a few months ago - guy only had that and two Studer reel-to-reels and didn't seem to get any interest in his stall at all...

Might be able to discover who it was by contacting John Bell at Royal Hifi (cannonman on the forums) as he organised the faire.

PM sent...

nat8808
27-06-2012, 16:58
I saw a CT7000 on ebay awhile ago in mint nick etc for £250 bin, I passed as I felt it was too good to be true; who knows it might have been a good one and I was a fool not to buy it.

Huh!?

When people do BINs for cheap it's because they don't know that it's worth more - BINs are where the bargains are but obviously they get snapped up very very quickly.. Audiomaster LS3/5as for £40 BIN Too good to be true? No, the guy who bought them put them back on ebay and made almost a grand profit..

You're seeing things from a skewed perspective - most people don't know anything about hifi at all.

nat8808
27-06-2012, 17:03
They do come up from time to time at just a few hundred a time - was one around on one of the forums a year ago.

Alternatively keep your eyes open for a Tandberg 3001a if one comes up - they are VERY VERY good

Yes, the 3001/a is very nice. Thats what I use although only working in manual mode and needs to be kept on else tuning skips all over the place until it's warmed up.

P.S. the 3001 is the same as the 3001A - I've had both side by side, opened up. Could argue that perhaps the differences in capacitor types used makes one better than the other but actually the later Tandbergs all use those square silver capacitors compared to the earlier models so I think it is just a change based on what was available at the time. My broken 3001 sounded better than my perfect 3001A - more spacious sound - so Id put sound differences down to calibration state (and I'd replaced the power supply caps to Vishays in the 3001).

Spectral Morn
27-06-2012, 17:11
Huh!?

When people do BINs for cheap it's because they don't know that it's worth more - BINs are where the bargains are but obviously they get snapped up very very quickly.. Audiomaster LS3/5as for £40 BIN Too good to be true? No, the guy who bought them put them back on ebay and made almost a grand profit..

You're seeing things from a skewed perspective - most people don't know anything about hifi at all.

This guy seemed to which is what made me suspicious of the item and value is a rather nebulous thing. Anyway its a moot point as it was well over a year ago. Personally I wouldn't pay over a couple of hundred quid for a CT7000 but as I am not buying anymore tuners at the minute its again a rather moot point.

hifi_dave
27-06-2012, 17:30
I missed the E-Bay one by six quid..:doh:

I bid £450 and went out. When I returned it had gone for £456.

Oh well..:rolleyes:

Mike
27-06-2012, 17:52

Oops... don't shoot the messenger! ;)

nat8808
27-06-2012, 18:15
This guy seemed to which is what made me suspicious of the item and value is a rather nebulous thing. Anyway its a moot point as it was well over a year ago. Personally I wouldn't pay over a couple of hundred quid for a CT7000 but as I am not buying anymore tuners at the minute its again a rather moot point.

Ahhh... that sounds too good to be true then if they otherwise seem to know their stuff.

nat8808
27-06-2012, 18:19

Need to snipe, hold cards to your chest! If you place a bid and walk off then you're open for someone to outbid you even if it means they bid more than they rationally would - auctions aren't rational, they're emotional, so you have prevent people reacting emotionally to your bid by keeping it till right to the end - by sniping.

And you didn't miss it by £6 either - you have no idea what the other person bid, they could have bid £700 and so you would only win it by bidding £710. Common misconception that makes you feel even worse for not winning.

hifi_dave
27-06-2012, 18:58
I know, I know and I keep doing the same thing. Trouble is, I'm usually too busy to watch the bids to the end and usually come in a minute or two late..:doh:

I was also watching a Sony tuner which went for £103 - I would have paid double that.

I'll console myself by thinking that I didn't need them anyway. I've got so many tuners now, that I haven't got room to display them.

Spectral Morn
27-06-2012, 20:50
I know, I know and I keep doing the same thing. Trouble is, I'm usually too busy to watch the bids to the end and usually come in a minute or two late..:doh:

I was also watching a Sony tuner which went for £103 - I would have paid double that.

I'll console myself by thinking that I didn't need them anyway. I've got so many tuners now, that I haven't got room to display them.

Which Sony Dave?

I have way too many as well.

nat8808
28-06-2012, 01:18

Snipe snipe snipe!

www.goofbay.com (99% reliable but free). www.auctionsniper.com (100% reliable it seems but you pay like 0.5% or something of final value ) - can upload your watched list with the last one.

I'm sure there are others to try out too.

I've a tuner I'm ready to sell that I bet you won't have! A Meridian MFM! I've two and don't need two (do I need even one seeing as I'm happy with my Tandberg?) .. look out for it in the classifieds soon.

hifi_dave
28-06-2012, 09:45
Which Sony Dave?

I have way too many as well.

Can't recall the model number but it looked mean and purposeful, 7 gang tuning and all that. It sold yesterday for £103.

I must investigate sniping and thanks for the link, nat.

The Grand Wazoo
28-06-2012, 15:13
That would be this one (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-ST-A6B-Vintage-High-End-7-Gang-FM-Tuner-Matches-TA-F6B-amplifier-TC-765-/110899494956?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Tuners&hash=item19d220002c) - an ST-A6B from 1977.
I was watching it too!

Barry
28-06-2012, 16:15
Now that looks the biz!

Always liked the look of Sony products and that one seems to be in excellent cosmetic condition.

One shouldn't get too hung up on the number of tuning sections a tuner has: in the UK we don't need the selectivity these tuners offer - three or four sections is quite sufficient.

Someone got a bit of a bargain there.

hifi_dave
28-06-2012, 17:33
I just mentioned the ' 7 gang ' because that was the only spec I could remember.

It would have looked really good next to my TAE-86B..:)

Barry
28-06-2012, 18:01
I just mentioned the ' 7 gang ' because that was the only spec I could remember.

It would have looked really good next to my TAE-86B..:)

Sure would. By the way I wasn't having a dig at you.

hifi_dave
28-06-2012, 18:36
No problem, it was a point well made.

That was a lovely tuner and I'm rather upset I missed it. I just love tuners - don't know why and that Sony did look rather good.

Volante
28-06-2012, 18:44
now we will all be looking for one of those big-ass Sony tuners

the USA has so many big-ass 5 plus gang tuners to pluck out the relevant station out of the ether which was stuffed with so many different stations

The Grand Wazoo
28-06-2012, 19:02
They're not all that rare, Dave - and you'll find loads in Germany. They do sound lovely though. The model below (A5) is even more common and almost identical. (admittedly it's not nearly so sexy looking)

Spectral Morn
28-06-2012, 19:26
That Sony is a good one and I have bought a few of my tuners of Gordon british_etrader.

I bought one a few years ago off a forum and paid significantly more, that price was a steal of epic proportions.

hifi_dave
28-06-2012, 21:30
Why not rub it in..:rolleyes:

Nick_G
16-10-2012, 14:19
Does anyone know how a Yamaha T-2 (1978) compares to a CT-7000? I've read that they are more selective in DX mode, have a 7-gang tuning capacitor like the CT-7000, and some folks on the Yahoo FM Tuner forum say they prefer the sound quality of the T-2. The CT-7000 was certainly the darling of the UK hi-fi press.

I've just bought a T-2 on eBay so any more info much appreciated.

Regards,
Nick