PDA

View Full Version : If ........

Neil McCauley
15-01-2009, 16:26
First, the background. Too many of my customers have claimed to be able to hear a difference not only between power cords but (and here is the truly odd bit) the differences between 2 identical cords with identical MK Toughplug and a Silver-plated Wattgate-type IEC on one cable and a standard Brass Wattgate-type IEC on the other cord – for me to ignore what appear to be the facts.

These are the Damiel power cords http://www.stereonow.co.uk/damiel.html , but my guess is that a similar effect could be demonstrated with any other high-quality aftermarket cords.

And so I tried the experiment here. And yes there were differences clearly audible. Let’s not get sidetracked into which was ‘better’. Some preferred the brass and others the silver. With me so far? Good. The price variant was just 3% between the 2 power cords.

So here’s the question.

Given that (a) this happens and (b) nobody really knows why and (c) the outcome in terms of subjective evaluation is both unpredictable and inconsistent, then why not get rid of the damn IEC plug/socket arrangement entirely?

Apart from anything else the maker, having chosen the cord material itself to properly reflect the end result they want for their target market would find that one part of the overall inconsistency of demonstrations would at a stroke be eliminated.

For purely audiophile reasons – by which I mean let’s disregard convenience, economics and so on – surely it makes sense for forward-thinking audiophile makers to supply in the UK at least their gear with a high quality captive mains lead?

Am I missing something here?

Mike
15-01-2009, 16:35
For purely audiophile reasons – by which I mean let’s disregard convenience, economics and so on – surely it makes sense for forward-thinking audiophile makers to supply in the UK at least their gear with a high quality captive mains lead?

I agree... one less connector in the link is rarely a bad thing!

tfarney
15-01-2009, 16:40
First, the background. Too many of my customers have claimed to be able to hear a difference not only between power cords but (and here is the truly odd bit) the differences between 2 identical cords with identical MK Toughplug and a Silver-plated Wattgate-type IEC on one cable and a standard Brass Wattgate-type IEC on the other cord – for me to ignore what appear to be the facts.

These are the Damiel power cords http://www.stereonow.co.uk/damiel.html , but my guess is that a similar effect could be demonstrated with any other high-quality aftermarket cords.

And so I tried the experiment here. And yes there were differences clearly audible. Let’s not get sidetracked into which was ‘better’. Some preferred the brass and others the silver. With me so far? Good. The price variant was just 3% between the 2 power cords.

So here’s the question.

Given that (a) this happens and (b) nobody really knows why and (c) the outcome in terms of subjective evaluation is both unpredictable and inconsistent, then why not get rid of the damn IEC plug/socket arrangement entirely?

Apart from anything else the maker, having chosen the cord material itself to properly reflect the end result they want for their target market would find that one part of the overall inconsistency of demonstrations would at a stroke be eliminated.

Am I missing something here?

If by "captive" you mean hard-wired into the component, I suspect that most self-respecting audiophile makers believe they do supply a high quality mains lead and, yes, you're missing something. You're missing the overwhelming desire in the hearts of many humans to control through customization and personalization and believe in the superiority and exclusivity of the results. In this case, it's called "tweaking." I won't mention that your customers' desire might be so overwhelming as to completely trump reality and that an ABX...never mind. Carry on. ;)

Tim

Spectral Morn
15-01-2009, 16:46
Hi Howard

Rodium is also a very suitable plating material. I know Andrew of True Colours Industries,and a year or so ago he developed a cable called the Boa Constrictor. He did this for a customer, who it is my understanding paid for the rnd costs. During this development period, they(TCI) played around with plug types and plating and found Rodium to offer a huge leap forward in the sound this power lead could give. Now this isn't knew as Graham Nulty of Black Rodium has been plating for quite awhile now but the combination of materials used in this power cable plus the Rodium plating is stunning. Most power cables do have an effect on sound as does the materials used but IMHE (and I have not tried your cables, so maybe they are better ?), the TCI BOa Constrictor offers the single biggest jump of sound quality of any power cable I have heard so far. Blind/deaf man on galloping horse type difference. TCI's other power cables were quite good at modest money but when they started rodium plating they all jumped in sound (obvious price increase/difference for the plating or no plating option)

I think you should try Rodium plating too, it could give your cables an even bigger jump,than silver plating. Worth a try ?IMHO I mention TCI only to illustrate and give detail to my suggestion.

Yes removing any link in the chain and the possible effects got by jumping between different materials is a good idea, in theory. However which cables will a manufacturer pick and will that choice work better in some systems rather than others. I think for safety sake using a FIG 8 or IEC socket takes the risk out of it and allows the customer to have the final say. Power cords like other things IMHE do give differing results depending on system, location, component and quality of electrical supply. Nothings ever clean cut is it ?

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

Neil McCauley
15-01-2009, 16:59
Thanks Neil for your thoughtful response.

Howard

Spectral Morn
15-01-2009, 17:31
Hi Howard

Its worth a try. You may find that you and your customers prefer this option. The TCI cable obviously is unique and the effect of rodium plating on TCI's other cables is marked. However, is rodium plating an absolute that will suit every system. I would have to say no. Some systems/components may sound better with an other cable materials configuration. What I can say is in nearly every case, but not all, the TCI BOA Constrictor gave a big jump. (more than I have heard before). The effects are as follows--- Extension of frequencies, with tighter deeper bass and a cleaner more extended and slightly sweeter treble. Better resolution of macro and micro detail, lowering of the noise floor and an increase in sound stage width, depth and height(but not resulting in an overblown sound stage. Still natural). IME the mid range improves along with the bass and treble. The cable is not cheap at £495 but I can't think of anything else out there(I haven't heard everything. so it could be there are other power cables that offer similar improvements) that does the same.

As with everything system and component matching is a factor but the cable is mostly consistent in its abilities.

Anyway the presence of rodium is part of the key to this cables abilities, so rodium transfered to yours may, and I must stress may, do the same.

Just thought I should offer qualifications and a caveat...

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

Haselsh1
16-01-2009, 09:07
Having spent twenty seven years working in the chemical industry I think I am qualified in saying that there are some very obvious chemical and physical reasons why cable materials and coatings should and could work. I personally have never tried them but only due to the costs incurred in such tweaking. I'm on your side in this one.

Neil McCauley
16-01-2009, 11:52
Having spent twenty seven years working in the chemical industry I think I am qualified in saying that there are some very obvious chemical and physical reasons why cable materials and coatings should and could work. I personally have never tried them but only due to the costs incurred in such tweaking. I'm on your side in this one.
Thank you.

Regards

Howard