PDA

View Full Version : Tony Williams

MikeMusic
25-06-2012, 15:15
So it wasn't just me then
from Discogs
>Lifetime's sound was on the very cutting edge of fusion, for most listeners at the time far beyond anything that was acceptable. Loads of distortion, psychopathic lyrics and erratic drumming where the trademarks of this remarkable project. Once Lifetime opened a concert for The Who and were almost beaten off the stage by the bewildered crowd.

I remember seeing them at Birmingham Town Hall
The roadie's sound check made you wince with the volume. When the group came on the volume was unbelievable - felt like I'd been beaten up in a a nice way
If you dare
Turn it over - is a good one to start with. Turn Volume to 11
Emergency! not bad either
by the time
Million Dollar Legs and
Believe it
came out they could probably be classed as mainstream fusion
Do your system a favour and get all of them
:)

Werner Berghofer
25-06-2012, 15:54
Mike,

I never really got into Lifetime’s music, but I still like the recordings of the Miles Davis Quintet with the young Tony Williams on drums. He was a very special, unique drummer and played like nobody else, avoiding the obvious rhythm and “time” which were already present, but filling the space between the beats with melodies of his own.

Thank you for reminding me of this really outstanding musician.

Werner.

MikeMusic
25-06-2012, 16:40
Mike,

I never really got into Lifetime’s music, but I still like the recordings of the Miles Davis Quintet with the young Tony Williams on drums. He was a very special, unique drummer and played like nobody else, avoiding the obvious rhythm and “time” which were already present, but filling the space between the beats with melodies of his own.

Thank you for reminding me of this really outstanding musician.

Werner.
Werner
Thanks for the nudge. I must sample Miles Davis again with Tony on drums. Think he was 16 at that time. I've tried before, but not quite 'got' Miles
Tony is one of my favourite drummers. Must be top 5 ever. It was a privilege to see him live even if I was stunned afterwards