PDA

View Full Version : Phillips CD840 CD Player

Spur07
24-06-2012, 19:00
has anyone had any experience of this Philips CD player? I just bought one off fleabay for £15 from a chap round the corner from me. I only wanted a CD player with a repeat function to warm up my speakers when I'm at work or out, and as summer is about to kick in at any moment :rolleyes: it will be too hot to leave my computer audio set up on indefinitely - but I'm surprised how decent it sounds. I knew it wasn't too shabby in its day but it gives my HD/Buffalo II a good run for it's money - certainly a bit leaner, excellent imaging, a little bit more hash in the treble perhaps, I don't know for sure. But its excellent and a joy to use - very well made.

It's got both coaxil and toslink digital out but I haven't tried using it as a transport for the Buffalo yet. I'm expecting I might be pleasantly surprised.

DSJR
24-06-2012, 19:07
The CD800 series were all pretty good as I remember and in my opinion, it's far too good to use as a music source for "warming up" your speakers (what are you guys like????? :lol:).

What about a cheapo Denon TU260 tuner, or if it must be a CD player, a cheapo JVC, Sony or technics type of CD spinner, with negligible sonics and easy to recycle when the time comes?

Spur07
24-06-2012, 19:15
The CD800 series were all pretty good as I remember and in my opinion, it's far too good to use as a music source for "warming up" your speakers (what are you guys like????? :lol:).

What about a cheapo Denon TU260 tuner, or if it must be a CD player, a cheapo JVC, Sony or technics type of CD spinner, with negligible sonics and easy to recycle when the time comes?

Sorry Dave it was on fleabay for 99p yesterday evening so I thought what the heck, but yes a tuner of some description might have been a better idea :lol:

I'm sure I'll certainly be using it as transport for the Buffalo for some serious listening

hoopsontoast
25-06-2012, 07:48
I have been using a CD-850, brilliant for £50 I paid. Never skipped in just over a year, silent operation and sounds really good.

DSJR
25-06-2012, 10:39
I hope I have the models right, but these were quite solidly built as I remember and the only thing that rreally dates them is the simple clocking system they used. Adding something like a Trichord used to help them no end. Any more than this is hobbled really by the age of the machine and the life left in the laser assembly. Why Philips didn't keep a spares service going I really don't know, but then, they wouldn't be able to sell the tinny rubbish they introduced later on - and I have a tuned up 723 to prove it.....