PDA

View Full Version : Email Providers

webby
23-06-2012, 22:17
I've been faffing about with email this week and for a few reasons I'd like to move away from my yahoo account. I've had it for years now and I get so much junk mail. I have other accounts, 2 with gmail, 1 with my web host, and 1 with iCloud (Apple) but they're not ideal for generic, personal use.

Can anyone recommend an email provider other than yahoo and gmail?

Note: also, I have my own domain name so I could use that with an email provider.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Martinh
24-06-2012, 06:40
I've been faffing about with email this week and for a few reasons I'd like to move away from my yahoo account. I've had it for years now and I get so much junk mail. I have other accounts, 2 with gmail, 1 with my web host, and 1 with iCloud (Apple) but they're not ideal for generic, personal use.

Note: also, I have my own domain name so I could use that with an email provider.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Hi Lee,

I use 1and1 for my website hosting and email and enjoy a very good service from them.

I host my sites plus a couple of others and also use the 1and1 server for email too. Its easy to set up and manage multiple accounts and you can use the built-in virus and spam filters as required.

It's not the cheapest, but you get near to 100% reliability and some good tools built in. If you have your domain, you could perhaps transfer it over and host your site there too.

northwest
24-06-2012, 07:24
If you have your domain, you could perhaps transfer it over and host your site there too.

I would never advocate having your domain AND your hosting with the same provider. Besides, the bigger domain registry companies do domains really well (wit exceptions of course) and you can often get hosting for a good rate, with personal service, from one of the many hosting providers.
Just change the nameservers/dns records to point at your "new" account.
On the other hand, if you want good reliable email with some very robust features you could give fastmail a try. Some nifty things such as "no such user" - even if there is. So although it won't send a spammer into meltdown it gives me a small degree of satisfaction.
I do not use fastmail personally but have subscribedmany people to the service over the years and I have never had an issue.

The Vinyl Adventure
24-06-2012, 08:29

Any suggestions?

Cheers

We use the free version of this for our selves and most of our clients
Because it connects with analytics and merchant services and addsence etc etc etc it makes things very simple ... For the most part!
It has mobile syncing too for callenders, email, contacts etc
I'd be lost without it ... But no doubt the usual tryade of google bashing will now follow
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-GB/group/index.html

Martinh
24-06-2012, 08:31
I would never advocate having your domain AND your hosting with the same provider. Besides, the bigger domain registry companies do domains really well (wit exceptions of course) and you can often get hosting for a good rate, with personal service, from one of the many hosting providers.
Just change the nameservers/dns records to point at your "new" account.
On the other hand, if you want good reliable email with some very robust features you could give fastmail a try. Some nifty things such as "no such user" - even if there is. So although it won't send a spammer into meltdown it gives me a small degree of satisfaction.
I do not use fastmail personally but have subscribedmany people to the service over the years and I have never had an issue.

Hi Graham,

What are the benefits of having the domain and hosting separate? I have mine together for convenience. I also host a couple of sites with external domains and the result is the same. I'm not in the business, so maybe I'm missing something? :scratch:

Cheers,

webby
24-06-2012, 08:40
Because it connects with analytics and merchant services and addsence etc etc etc it makes things very simple ... For the most part!
It has mobile syncing too for callenders, email, contacts etc
I'd be lost without it ... But no doubt the usual tryade of google bashing will now follow

Yeah, Google Apps is something I only really found out about yesterday. You can have your own domain with it too. Looks interesting.

I know there are Google bashers and haters (as do Apple) and the whole privacy thing though.

Of course, the other thing is making the change, not just physically, but I've registered with so many things with my yahoo address so potentially a logistical nightmare.

webby
24-06-2012, 08:47
if you want good reliable email with some very robust features you could give fastmail a try.

The company I worked for before used Fastmail. I'd never considered paying for email when you have free providers such as gmail and co, but I guess it has its benefits.

Mark Grant
24-06-2012, 09:03
Of course, the other thing is making the change, not just physically, but I've registered with so many things with my yahoo address so potentially a logistical nightmare.

That's easy to fix :)

Use Gmail like a giant online spam filter.

Log into your Gmail account and set it to pop the emails from yahoo, this keeps your yahoo account live as it is being logged into regularly. (every 30 minutes or so by gmail)
Also set Gmail to collect mail from any others you dont want to have to log in to.

Gmail then spam filters them and you wont get a virus from any of the addresses as gmail will leave any with a viruss on the yahoo server etc.

Then your computer can collect the gmail address by pop or SMTP to receive all the various emails which can have labels applied by gmail so you see which address they where originally sent to.

check the Gmail spam folder occasionally as it will contain many :)

For a new 'clean' address set one up on your domain name and use that for important stuff.

As already mentioned 1and1 are good for emails, the 1&1 instant mail package does not cost much if that is all you need.

link if it works:
http://order.1and1.co.uk/MailInstantMail?__lf=Static

you would need the domain at 1&1 for that to work and its just an email service, no website hosting on that package.

If you have more than one domain name on the same 1&1 account you can use that instant mail package on up to five of them which can work well.

webby
24-06-2012, 09:18
That's easy to fix :)

Use Gmail like a giant online spam filter.

Gmail then spam filters them and you wont get a virus from any of the addresses as gmail will leave any with a viruss on the yahoo server etc.

That sounds good Mark. But, will Gmail really leave the spam on the yahoo server? Won't it have to it fetch to run its spam checker on first?

I hoped I could forward my yahoo mail to gmail (essentially using yahoo as a spam filter, cos it's learned pretty well what's spam for me over the years) but I guessed it would forward the spam too. Am I right?

By the way, Yahoo POP has a good setting which says to download everything which is not Spam, but forwarding does not have this setting.

The Vinyl Adventure
24-06-2012, 09:35
In fact ... Thinking about it, I can't think of a client we haven't set up with gmail
The only person that has any complaint with it is David Brook ... But he has complaint with most things ;)

webby
24-06-2012, 09:43
In fact ... Thinking about it, I can't think of a client we haven't set up with gmail
The only person that has any complaint with it is David Brook ... But he has complaint with most things ;)

Ah Brookie is such a whinger isn't he?

By the way, I don't know David Brook :)

Mark Grant
24-06-2012, 09:49
That sounds good Mark. But, will Gmail really leave the spam on the yahoo server? Won't it have to it fetch to run its spam checker on first?

I hoped I could forward my yahoo mail to gmail (essentially using yahoo as a spam filter, cos it's learned pretty well what's spam for me over the years) but I guessed it would forward the spam too. Am I right?

By the way, Yahoo POP has a good setting which says to download everything which is not Spam, but forwarding does not have this setting.

Gmail will fetch the spam from yahoo, it will leave any with a virus as it somehow checks for viruses before fully downloading.

Forwarding your yahoo will be no good as unless you log in to your yahoo account occasionally it will be disabled eventually as far as I know.

By setting gmail to log in yahoo thinks its you collecting the Mail :)

I have a gmail account collecting from 2 old yahoo accounts and an old ISP account and it works perfectly, never had to log in for ages.
My PC then pops the gmail account to bring the mail to my PC and I delete the crap and look out for anything of use.

If you cant find how to set Gmail to collect other mail by pop it is, settings ( the cog at top right :) ) then look for ' Accounts and import' and ' check email from other accounts' and enter the pop details for Yahoo etc.

webby
24-06-2012, 10:11
Gmail will fetch the spam from yahoo, it will leave any with a virus as it somehow checks for viruses before fully downloading.

Forwarding your yahoo will be no good as unless you log in to your yahoo account occasionally it will be disabled eventually as far as I know.

By setting gmail to log in yahoo thinks its you collecting the Mail :)

I have a gmail account collecting from 2 old yahoo accounts and an old ISP account and it works perfectly, never had to log in for ages.
My PC then pops the gmail account to bring the mail to my PC and I delete the crap and look out for anything of use.

If you cant find how to set Gmail to collect other mail by pop it is, settings ( the cog at top right :) ) then look for ' Accounts and import' and ' check email from other accounts' and enter the pop details for Yahoo etc.
Yes Mark, I think I've just sussed how how it works. Gmail uses Mail Fetcher to fetch the mail via POP, so as Yahoo does not POP the spam, then Gmail will just fetch the good stuff. This is the benefit over forwarding which forwards everything I assume.

Cheers,

webby
24-06-2012, 10:14

I did not know that. I've got 2 gmail based accounts forwarding into another. A family gmail address, and my Sky provided mail which uses Gmail. I never log into the webmail of either but now of course, my email client does not fetch from them.

If they get disabled that would be a problem. Can you confirm that?

webby
24-06-2012, 15:02

Hamish, I've read a couple of blog posts about this that mentioned getting web space. However, they were quite old; 2008, 2009, but I assumed Google host the email.

Is that right?

northwest
24-06-2012, 16:10
The company I worked for before used Fastmail. I'd never considered paying for email when you have free providers such as gmail and co, but I guess it has its benefits.

Fastmail is free. You can pay for 'big' accounts but the free service is usually okay.
As for keeping hosting and registrars separate - probably because I have had a few of the smaller outfits go pop on me and it's always a nightmare. It's always easier to keep up with the renewals but then I do administer a LOT of domains. And if you ever get into a row over a domain it always makes it difficult for the opposition if you have hosting one place and the registrar somewhere else. On a lot of my TLD's I have used Joker - who don't do hosting anyway. A great many of the smaller 'registrars' are just resellers anyway so although you may think that your domain is with a registrar the fun and games begin when you want to move. I am not suggesting that this is the case with you of course, just a few of my experiences.

webby
24-06-2012, 22:10
I haven't been able to verify my domain by using a txt on the dns record. How long does it usually take?

Oh, on google apps.

Beechwoods
24-06-2012, 22:27
Try gmx.com

webby
25-06-2012, 21:21
Well this is ironic. I've been thinking about moving away from my yahoo account for about a week now and then tonight I noticed I had a bunch of failed mail deliveries. Turns out my account had been hacked and spam links were sent out to my contact list, which has some very old addresses hence the failure of some of those deliveries.

In fact, I don't really keep my contact list updated cos I don't use the webmail interface so there aren't that many contacts in here.

Still, it's very concerning being hacked. Has anyone else here had an email account hacked and what's the general procedure following the attack?

I've changed my password which, incidentally, I only changed last week after it had been the same very basic password for ten years prior to that. I've also updated other security features on the account.

Is there anything else I can do?

Mark Grant
25-06-2012, 21:53
That's why I don't like web based email.

If you have used that email address on anything financial the hacker could have done the 'forgot password' link on the sites found in your email history and might be able to gain access to paypal and any online shopping accounts etc.

Might be worth changing passwords on any sites you used that email address on.

I would suggest to buy a real email address that you have control of, pop the mail to your PC rather than leaving a history trail online.

webby
25-06-2012, 22:14
That's why I don't like web based email.

If you have used that email address on anything financial the hacker could have done the 'forgot password' link on the sites found in your email history and might be able to gain access to paypal and any online shopping accounts etc.

Might be worth changing passwords on any sites you used that email address on.

I would suggest to buy a real email address that you have control of, pop the mail to your PC rather than leaving a history trail online.

I've just changed some passwords thanks Mark.

So you don't recommend using IMAP then?