PDA

View Full Version : Notting Hill Bands

Togil
15-01-2009, 07:17
Can anyone remember the name of some bands based in Notting Hill in the late 60s.
I'm desperately trying to remember the name of a very good band led by a flautist that I heard at the Marquee once. They were quite well known at the time, locally.

StanleyB
15-01-2009, 08:16
A bit before my time. When I started hanging around there, in a daze;), Debby Harry (Blondie), Leo Sayer, Dennis Brown, etc. were regulars I might bump into in one of the many smoke filled dens that place was known for. I never met Jimmy Hendrix or Marvin Gaye though. But that was in the 70's.

Neil McCauley
15-01-2009, 09:39
Can anyone remember the name of some bands based in Notting Hill in the late 60s.
I'm desperately trying to remember the name of a very good band led by a flautist that I heard at the Marquee once. They were quite well known at the time, locally.
Might it be this one?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:dpfexq95ld6e

http://www.mooncowhq.ch/Shivasquintessence/index.htm

It seems to fit the bill as best I can remember from that era.

Spectral Morn
15-01-2009, 10:35
Hi Togil

Hawkwind used to lurk around this area( Iam sure they weren't the only band in this area), in the late 60's as Michael Moorcock the science fiction/fantasy writer lived near by in Ladbroke grove. He had a band too the Deep Fix.(I think my London Geography is right?)

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

StanleyB
15-01-2009, 12:40
(I think my London Geography is right?)

not far off. A few minutes walking, or a short bus ride on the 28 or the 31.

Togil
15-01-2009, 19:42
Oh thanks everybody !

It was Quintessence, of course.

Must look out for some CDs

Beechwoods
15-01-2009, 19:54
:lol: You had me wracking my brain this morning trying to work it out, first thought was VDGG but they weren't from Notting Hill, and they were big on saxes not flutes. I'm only familiar with Quintessence from the Harvest 'Picnic' comp which is quite heavy IIRC.

Prince of Darkness
16-01-2009, 08:50
I'm only familiar with Quintessence from the Harvest 'Picnic' comp which is quite heavy IIRC.

Just checked, they aren't on it:confused:. Maybe thinking of a different compilation?

Neil McCauley
16-01-2009, 12:03
Oh thanks everybody !

It was Quintessence, of course.

Must look out for some CDs
Glad I got it right - if only for the fact that I'm now slightly more confident that dementia is still some way away ...

Re recordings, strongly suggest you buy used ones cheaply from eBay. I say this because having sat through a few of their performances in the 1960s (they were always at festivals - along with Pete Brown and His Battered Ornaments, who were equally self-indulgent) my one word memory of their music is .... turgid. Just a thought.

Meanwhile I'm listening to an experimental recording of an acapella version of Smoke On The Water ‘sung’ by a massed chorus of 1930s I–speak-your-weight machines. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A306712

The next project for the team behind this is either (a) War Requiem or (b) Purple Haze. Tricky call I think.

Beechwoods
16-01-2009, 12:27
Just checked, they aren't on it:confused:. Maybe thinking of a different compilation?

Well spotted! It was of course Quatermass. Close but no cigar, eh :lol: