PDA

View Full Version : hi from me

Daniel Quinn
23-06-2012, 15:40
Hi my name is Dennis , aka Daniel Quinn , I am litigation lawyer living in Preston England and I have joined AOS at the personal invite of Marco when he wrote
Now "Daniel Quinn", or whoever he is, is similarly as entitled to write what he likes on Richard's site (within Richard's guidelines), but if "Danny" has got so much to say for himself, and finds this thread and/or me so funny, then why doesn't he join the forum and tell us what he thinks is so funny, by contributing to the discussion here?

So, Danny boy, now that I've given you two minutes of 'fame', in your otherwise empty life, come and laugh out loud here. I give you my word that you can write pretty much what you like, and won't be banned!

After the selective quoting of my words Marco intimated I would enhance AOS because he’d

read wittier retorts from a pubescent teenager... "Danny's" bile is typical of the puerile, keyboard warrior nonsense one reads on Facebook, which in reality is where he belongs!

All this because I suggested that certain AOS contributors on line persona’s were dogmatic , bullies of average intelligence who totally lacked empathy . Whats wrong with that ?

So here I am : an annoying argumentative arsehole with a fondness for “Amisesque” triple illiteration, My aim is offer an alternative perspective to the hegemony and puncture pomposity , it is after all Hifi not the collective struggle for emancipation .Oh yeah and see how long it takes me to get banned. :)

In terms of hifi, I was obsessed as a student some 20 years ago when I bought a PT Anni and 1000’s of records which you could buy for £2-£5 from the vinyl exchange in Manchester . Forsaking hifi for 20 years of hedonism while the records and PT were mothballed . I have very recently got back in to it . The PT remains with Roksan Tabriz zi tonearm . Very recent purchases to get me up and running are a Benz Micro Sl , Cambridge 640p , Yamaha amp and home made floor stander speakers based on Audax and peerless drivers with no crossover save for capacitor and wire wound resistor on the treble and midrange.

So very much a novice , but to be honest I see hifi as a means to end , namely to listen to 70’s rock music with a glass of red wine after a day of arguing with idiot defendant solicitors . However , I do very much accept that the pleasure is ehanced if the sound quality is , but there is clearly a law of diminishing returns . I am not an objectivist, reality is not amenable to measurement . Apparently 90% of the universe is made up of dark matter and scientists can even find it , let alone measure it !! I've had some tremendous results with hard wiring and running one piece of cardas wire from cartridge to phono amp.

Finally , despite the aetiology of my membership , it is a fact that I have learnt a lot from AOS members and I would like to thank you for that .

Welder
23-06-2012, 16:12
Hello Dennis.

I do hope you can adjust you’re writing style a bit because I’ve only got one dictionary and I’ve had to open it a few times already just reading your intro.:(

You need to be very careful of invites from Marco. Rumour has it for example, that there are a few AoS contributors with objectivists’ leanings he’s managed to persuade to accept his hospitality on the pretext of having a few stubbies and listening to a few tunes who have never appeared on this forum again.

Welcome to AoS. :)

Ffs, a lawyer; that’s all we need.:doh:

MartinT
23-06-2012, 17:48
Welcome to AoS, Dennis. While not on Richard's forum I seem to have been mentioned there a few times and I've reviewed his LS6 speaker cables in the past.

It'll be interesting to hear who you think of as having a dubious online persona, but be prepared to receive like for like in terms of robust comeback and do try to avoid ad hominem. However, in your line of trade I should imagine that you're rather prepared for strong argumentation.

I nearby bought a PT but ended up with a Roksan many years ago. It's a good sounding deck.

Puffin
23-06-2012, 17:48
Hi Dennis, all lawyers are arseholes. I am glad I am not one anymore.

Marco
23-06-2012, 17:49
Hi Dennis,

Wonderful introduction: inventive, informative and entertaining - textbook stuff! I think perhaps that you and I should rewind and start again...! :)

I'm sure you'll agree that using selective comments from someone on a forum is a pretty crude and ineffectual way of ascertaining their true personality.

So here I am : an annoying argumentative arsehole with a fondness for “Amisesque” triple illiteration, My aim is offer an alternative perspective to the hegemony and puncture pomposity , it is after all Hifi not the collective struggle for emancipation .Oh yeah and see how long it takes me to get banned.

Alternative opinions from 'the norm' are welcome here, as are people with such an obvious sense of humour. To survive on AoS, long term, there is one golden rule to remember:

In any debates, always play the ball, not the man, as it were, and respect alternative opinions to your own (and those who own them), even if you don't agree with those opinions. Ultimately, it's all about tolerance and mutual respect.

Belittling or abusing people, when it's not simply acceptable banter between friends, are things that we will not tolerate. In that respect, you may also find it useful to read the section entitled 'Our Ethos'.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your stay here and have fun! :cool:

Marco.

Joe
23-06-2012, 18:17
So here I am : an annoying argumentative arsehole with a fondness for “Amisesque” triple illiteration,

Kingsley or Martin?

My aim is offer an alternative perspective to the hegemony and puncture pomposity , it is after all Hifi not the collective struggle for emancipation .Oh yeah and see how long it takes me to get banned. :)

Hell, everyone's been banned from AoS at some point, even me.

Daniel Quinn
25-06-2012, 10:16
Thank you for your welcome's :)

And Marco I wholeheartedly agree

Spectral Morn
25-06-2012, 12:35
Welcome to AOS :cool:

DSJR
25-06-2012, 13:53
Hi and welcome. Whatever is said elsewhere, I hope you enjoy your stay and ultimately find it a pleasurable place to visit.

jollyfix
25-06-2012, 14:56
Hello and Welcome

Audio Al
25-06-2012, 16:51
Hello

I am not saying too much in case I get sued :lol:

sergiox
25-06-2012, 18:18
hi Dennis, nice to see you here aswell!
ciao
s

Reid Malenfant
25-06-2012, 18:25
Hi Dennis, a warm welcome to the forum from me to :wave:

This could be interesting :)

I hope you enjoy your stay :cool:

DaveK
25-06-2012, 18:45
+ 1 to Mark (RM's) comment.
Having suffered myself, I believe, from some of the things that are allegedly not tolerated on AoS, I have to bite my tongue at this point. Good luck with bursting bubbles of pomposity, I look forward to it, even mine :lol: . I try to do that myself from time to time but while I share your views on the subject, unfortunately I do not share you ability to express my views.
Welcome - may your stay be long, I'm sure it will be entertaining ;) .
Dave.

Marco
25-06-2012, 18:53
Having suffered myself, I believe, from some of the things that are allegedly not tolerated on AoS, I have to bite my tongue at this point.

Care to spit it out, Dave? I like to help, but if there's one thing that pisses me off is little cryptic digs like that, so in future either keep things to yourself and move on, or tell us what the problem is, so we can fix it. I'd prefer the latter, as I don't people bottling things up :)

Marco.

Gazjam
25-06-2012, 19:09
Daves's choice if thats' how he wants to Speak Marco.
(and he's not responsible for what pisses you off)

Not being funny mate. :)

peace.

Gaz.

DaveK
25-06-2012, 19:20
Care to spit it out, Dave? I like to help, but if there's one thing that pisses me off is little cryptic digs like that, so in future either keep things to yourself and move on, or tell us what the problem is, so we can fix it. I'd prefer the latter, as I don't people bottling things up :)

Marco.

OK Marco, if that's what you want. As requested by you some time ago, these things are better dealt with by PM but you've made an open post of it so presumably I'm allowed to do likewise?
I was banned by you first time round because I insisted on posting that Mr. 'multi-billionaire' Ma of (HK or NY, I forget), had driven a coach and horses through your oft repeated doctrine of not breaching the law of diminishing returns but you maintained that it was then OK for him to do so.
For those not aware of the story, Mr. Ma had spent mega-bucks on digging out the foundations and building his own prupose built listening room in solid metre thick concrete, stuffed it with the best of everything hi-fi that money could buy, only to demolish it a few months later to build a Mk II version. I was told (by you) that I did not have enough experience of the subject to express an opinion - those words exactly, IIRC. Compare that statement with what you've said above.
When I said what I thought about that and repeated my thoughts on Mr. Ma I was told to shut up (or words to that effect :lol: ) and when I wouldn't shut up I was banned - so much for welcoming alternative opinions.
I then compounded my felony by rejoining under a different alias, an act fully deserving of my more permanent ban and I fully accept that
I think it best now to draw a line under those events for reasons you are well aware of.
Hopefully I have not stepped over the line again. You may not share my opinions but they are invariably expressed politely, sometimes with a little 'spike' of humour that I would prefer to call banter. I like to think I tell it as I see it, sometimes bluntly, and it doesn't always 'sit well' with everyone but I try not to insult, demean or ad hominem anyone. Would that all your members and past members were so restrained, your Admin job would be much easier.
Pax?
Dave

Marco
25-06-2012, 19:27
Lol, Dave - what are you like? I'd forgotten all about that and moved on. I NEVER hold grudges. Life's too short, mate.

Pax? Of course! :grouphug: :)

Marco.

DaveK
25-06-2012, 20:00
+ 1 ^ but, whilst not holding a grudge, I haven't forgotten - I thought then and think now that my treatment did not fit my (initial) crime. But, like you said, life's too short to hold a grudge and deprive myself of swapping opinions with some of the great guys on this forum :).
I do love pricking bubbles though ;) so make of that what you will :lol: .
Dave.

Marco
25-06-2012, 20:03
No worries :)

Marco.

Daniel Quinn
25-06-2012, 20:05
Im well chuffed my intro as brought you two together again :lol:

Daniel Quinn
25-06-2012, 20:08
Well chuffed my intro as brought you two together again

DaveK
25-06-2012, 20:13

Yep, and coincidentally, like your post, it's happened twice :lol: .
But, more seriously, we're like the odd couple really, a bit of a love hate relationship :lol: :eek: .
Dave.

DSJR
25-06-2012, 21:19
We're all pussy lovers here I hope??? :lol:

Tarzan
26-06-2012, 07:39

Yay!:kiss: Result:)

RichB
26-06-2012, 21:05
Welcome Dennis, an interesting avatar you have...

We have nothing to lose but our objectivity eh?

Daniel Quinn
27-06-2012, 11:32
Nobody ever had any to lose :lol:

JazzBones
27-06-2012, 11:47
We're all pussy lovers here I hope??? :lol:

DaveO, I'm very partial to the Brazilian pussy that likes going down to the beach and sunning itself :eyebrows:

:whistle:

MartinT
27-06-2012, 11:48
So true. It's against human nature to be objective.