PDA

View Full Version : Dynavector 20x

prestonchipfryer
23-06-2012, 10:52
Just recently installed my DV 20xh. Had it quite a while now (six years) but kept it stored after initially finding it a bit dull. Having perservered for the past week I am getting to quite like it. Now would the latest DV20 be a better bet. Has anyone any experience of the new 20X? please.

Feeding it into a Dynavector P75 phono.

MartinT
23-06-2012, 11:45
I reviewed the 20X2L somewhere hereabouts. Found it very good but still with a dark character. Now upgraded to a Shelter 5000, which is in a different league.

Found it!
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9533&highlight=20X2L

prestonchipfryer
23-06-2012, 13:36
Thanks Martin. very useful. Cheers. John.:)

hifi_dave
23-06-2012, 16:25
Definitely on the warm side of neutral as is the XX2.

Ammonite Audio
23-06-2012, 17:03
I tried one briefly after trashing a Benz Glider SL. "A bit dull" matches my own experience rather precisely, so I went back to Benz and bought a Wood SL. The Dynavector tracks well, has very low surface noise but to my ears is musically constipated. These things are, of course, system dependent.

Flemo
24-06-2012, 00:36
I have a 20X2L which I have returned for a refund, or exchange on another cartridge.

I found it very dull, lacking balance and closed in - just terrible!

I had a technician measure it he concluded the output varied on both channels. He also viewed the stylii under microscope and ascertained that it had been mounted 1/3 of the way across the cantilever, it was way off centre.

So, currently it's a with a ebay power seller in HK and I'm just waiting to see what action they will take.

The general feeling is that the 20X2L is dull sounding cartridge anyway.

I am hoping to get a swap to the Goldring Elite.

prestonchipfryer
24-06-2012, 07:48
I have a 20X2L which I have returned for a refund, or exchange on another cartridge.

I found it very dull, lacking balance and closed in - just terrible!

I had a technician measure it he concluded the output varied on both channels. He also viewed the stylii under microscope and ascertained that it had been mounted 1/3 of the way across the cantilever, it was way off centre.

So, currently it's a with a ebay power seller in HK and I'm just waiting to see what action they will take.

The general feeling is that the 20X2L is dull sounding cartridge anyway.

I am hoping to get a swap to the Goldring Elite.

That is unfortunate. Let us know how this turns out for you and how you find the Goldrings' sound quality. What turntable/arm are you using?

Reffc
27-06-2012, 18:33
I reviewed the 20X2L somewhere hereabouts. Found it very good but still with a dark character. Now upgraded to a Shelter 5000, which is in a different league.

Found it!
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9533&highlight=20X2L

Same here. Had the 20xl and a P75 MK2 to start with. Have a play with the loading on the P75 as it may be simply a case of changing it. From memory, I ran mine at 60Ohms. I now have the Shelter 5000 too and its in a different league to just about every cart I've owned...staggeringly good! Still retains a little warmth too. The DV20 for the money is still a very fine cartridge, but I preferred the lower output version. It was more refined IMHO.

MartinT
27-06-2012, 18:39
What are you running the Shelter in, Paul?

prestonchipfryer
27-06-2012, 18:46
Same here. Had the 20xl and a P75 MK2 to start with. Have a play with the loading on the P75 as it may be simply a case of changing it. From memory, I ran mine at 60Ohms. I now have the Shelter 5000 too and its in a different league to just about every cart I've owned...staggeringly good! Still retains a little warmth too. The DV20 for the money is still a very fine cartridge, but I preferred the lower output version. It was more refined IMHO.

Have now mounted a Lyra Dorian and using the P75 'phono enhancement' loading. Sounds altogether in a different league than the DV20.

hifi_dave
27-06-2012, 18:52
That's the way to go. Far better than that DV. IMO

Flemo
28-06-2012, 23:38
That is unfortunate. Let us know how this turns out for you and how you find the Goldrings' sound quality. What turntable/arm are you using?

The ebay seller has refunded my money, and I have since ordered the Goldring Elite. :)

I have a Technics SP10 MKII with Jelco SA-750E arm. The plinth is solid granite and corian, about 45kg's, but I have yet to hear how it sounds due to cartridge issues. :doh:

Hopefully within the next coupe of weeks it'll be pumping out the tunes!!

Cheers, Pete.

prestonchipfryer
29-06-2012, 06:50
Good, glad you got your wonga back. looking forward to your feelings about your monster SP10. :)

Flemo
29-06-2012, 07:00
Good, glad you got your wonga back. looking forward to your feelings about your monster SP10. :)

I'm hanging out myself to hear it as I've it for a few months. :(