PDA

View Full Version : White labels/promos

indus
21-06-2012, 22:10
For those that might be into dance music, is there any difference in the quality of recording of white labels/promos as compared to when they are then released on a named label?

The reason I ask is that I'm after a track and the cheapest I can find a NM one for on a proper label is £25+ but there is a white label/promo NM for £10.

Thanks

RobbieGong
21-06-2012, 22:27
Never had an issue with any white promos I've purchased from the likes of big names like Billy Paul, Bill Withers etc. Mine have always proved a perfect play like a first press if you know what I mean. :) I'm assuming here that this is a white press from the record label that eventually pressed / released it officially. If so defintely no worries at all - enjoy ! ;)

joey
21-06-2012, 22:45
Iv got several hundred white labels and i have never noticed a diffreince in them, But a lot of mine are thicker vinyl than standard vinyl

PaulStewart
21-06-2012, 22:47
For those that might be into dance music, is there any difference in the quality of recording of white labels/promos as compared to when they are then released on a named label?

The reason I ask is that I'm after a track and the cheapest I can find a NM one for on a proper label is £25+ but there is a white label/promo NM for £10.

Thanks

White labels are, in the main, promos and QC copies made before the record is released. Therefore they are the first off the stampers and are, in my experience better than later ones made when the stampers have worn. Some times they are made with alternative track arrangements, for A&R people, the band and producers to listen to. I have a few of these from "back in the day" collectors pay a lot for these. Check the matrix numbers in the run out as this can tell you about the stampers and their age/rarity of the disc.

Cheers

RobbieGong
22-06-2012, 09:52
White labels are, in the main, promos and QC copies made before the record is released. Therefore they are the first off the stampers and are, in my experience better than later ones made when the stampers have worn. Some times they are made with alternative track arrangements, for A&R people, the band and producers to listen to. I have a few of these from "back in the day" collectors pay a lot for these. Check the matrix numbers in the run out as this can tell you about the stampers and their age/rarity of the disc.

Cheers

Spot on Paul and answers why I find the ones I've obtained over the years to always have really good SQ :)

kininigin
22-06-2012, 14:59
Yep,i also agree,no real difference between the two.

What is the record you are after?

mike1210
22-06-2012, 16:26
With dance stuff they are (were, less of them around now) typically more spaced out over 2x12's as apposed to 1.

Some promos would always be 1 song per side running at 45rpm whereas the actual release would be 33rpm and 2 songs per side. Of course then the track has more room to breathe so can be cut louder and running faster so more info to pull out of the record.

They always used to cost way more mind you.

indus
23-06-2012, 06:33
Thanks guys, I'll get it bought.