PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Rega Brio R, Rega Dac, Rega Couple (or clone)

RichB
20-06-2012, 11:48
Ok guys, after some deliberation I've decided to be a Rega man... I've previously been impressed with both Regas DACs and amps and have decided to go for system synergy with my RS3s.

So I'm looking for the following... (all in nice condition and with original accessories/boxes please)

Rega Brio R

Rega DAC

Rega Couple 1m IC (I understand these can be cloned by using Klotz cable with Neutrik connectors, if anyone can make one of these to the required spec then please let me know)

Rich

Ali Tait
20-06-2012, 11:52
I would highly recommend some TQ Black cable, an amazing improvement to my ears.

Alex_UK
20-06-2012, 11:59
Silver or Black Rich - not that I have any intention of selling you mine! :eyebrows:

RichB
20-06-2012, 12:16
I would highly recommend some TQ Black cable, an amazing improvement to my ears.

Yes I've just been reading about your experiences with this and RS3s, think I'll have to see what cash is left over after flogging some of my other stuff.

I'm currently using Rega FSC Quattro, what improvements did you notice from the TQ, better bass/top end, more detail?

RichB
20-06-2012, 12:18
Silver or Black Rich - not that I have any intention of selling you mine! :eyebrows:

Dont mind really Alex, I'd prefer they were matching. Gutted i paused on the Rega DAC for sale on here the other week.

Ali Tait
20-06-2012, 12:44
Yes I've just been reading about your experiences with this and RS3s, think I'll have to see what cash is left over after flogging some of my other stuff.

I'm currently using Rega FSC Quattro, what improvements did you notice from the TQ, better bass/top end, more detail?

It's an overused term, but in this case justified, it was a night and day difference to the Mogami cable (which was recommended by the dealer as being particularly good with the RS 3's BTW) akin to changing the speakers for something better. It put the speakers on another level. Frankly I'd buy the cable before you buy the boxes.

Gazjam
20-06-2012, 13:02
agreed!

Good choice on the Rega stuff.
Get thee to a Rega dealer forthwith and hear Brio-R/Dac/RS3's for yourself.

The RS3's kept getting better with every "improved" dac...but when we stuck in the TQ Black...
night and day. Seriously.
The Mogami was my "fit n forget" cable until I heard they speakers were capable of so much more, firstly with Brian's NVA LS6 and then the TQ Black.

Theres definitely a synergy thing going on with the new Rega stuff and the TQ Black brings out the best (I assume?!) in these speakers.

On a sad note the Rega kit goes back today...123 awww.
Know now though how good my RS3's can sound and I know which direction I'm going kit (and cable) wise.
So yay. :)

RichB
21-06-2012, 09:11
agreed!

Good choice on the Rega stuff.
Get thee to a Rega dealer forthwith and hear Brio-R/Dac/RS3's for yourself.

The RS3's kept getting better with every "improved" dac...but when we stuck in the TQ Black...
night and day. Seriously.
The Mogami was my "fit n forget" cable until I heard they speakers were capable of so much more, firstly with Brian's NVA LS6 and then the TQ Black.

Theres definitely a synergy thing going on with the new Rega stuff and the TQ Black brings out the best (I assume?!) in these speakers.

On a sad note the Rega kit goes back today...123 awww.
Know now though how good my RS3's can sound and I know which direction I'm going kit (and cable) wise.
So yay. :)

Bloody hell, I've just seen the price of the TQ Black, are they really worth that? Thats the price of another decent box or a canny TT.

So Gaz are you are considering going all Rega too and be done with box swapping?

I've previously heard the Rega stuff at a dealer but was rather hoping to avoid the 'new' gear premium they would charge, still if any trade folk want to approach me then thats cool. I do have gear for part ex too.

Ali Tait
21-06-2012, 09:25
The cable is pricey, but it is very good. Keep an eye out for some going secondhand.

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 09:57
Bloody hell, I've just seen the price of the TQ Black, are they really worth that? Thats the price of another decent box or a canny TT.

So Gaz are you are considering going all Rega too and be done with box swapping?

I've previously heard the Rega stuff at a dealer but was rather hoping to avoid the 'new' gear premium they would charge, still if any trade folk want to approach me then thats cool. I do have gear for part ex too.

Yup, cant do it at the moment but when I can its all Rega for me.
Brio-R/Dac with my RS3's.

And the TQ Black is a MUST HAVE.
Honestly mate, as Ali said its like changing the speakers or something, genuinely that much of a step up.
and the Mogami 2972 cable I have in is VERY good.

I only need 2 x 2m runs so at £46/m terminated that's what...£184?

Bit salty if you look at it in terms of two pieces of wire but worth every penny in terms of sound quality improvement.
The RS3's just sang with this cable.

I'll be very happy with the system once its all in place, end of upgraditus.
Only thing I'd maybe do is add a turntable at a later date...maybe!

do TQ do interconnects? ;)

Ali Tait
21-06-2012, 10:11
Yes.

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 10:17
Yes.

shit.

*EDIT*
Whoa..too much!

Ali Tait
21-06-2012, 10:27
:lol:

icehockeyboy
21-06-2012, 12:11

Honestly mate, as Ali said its like changing the speakers or something, genuinely that much of a step up.

Bit salty if you look at it in terms of two pieces of wire but worth every penny in terms of sound quality improvement.

It's £47 a metre, so £188' BUT, and I believe it is a big but ( oo er missis!)

There is a £5 per mono metre surcharge, which I personally think is wrong!

Colin fromTellurium put me onto his colleague who tried to explain that it was a fair surcharge ........fair to whom? People who didn't have to pay it as they needed a longer run?

Might just be me, but I think it an unjustified surcharge.

Back in a minute to edit after I re read the reply about it being "fair"

Can't access it at the minute, I'll try later.

Anyway, £188 becomes £208! Beware!

webby
21-06-2012, 14:50

Gaz, have you considered spending the extra £200 on even better speakers, on top of what you'd get for yours of course, or even a better amp?

In other words, is the TQ the best upgrade for that kind of money?

Ali Tait
21-06-2012, 14:52
In Gaz's system, the biggest single change we made was swapping in the TQ.

LittleTone
21-06-2012, 15:23
1mtr pair Rega Couple clone available - made em myself

Klotz AC110 cable with Neutrik NF2C-B/2 Profi Professional RCA Phono Plugs *** NEW STYLE ***
As New condition

£40.00 posted

Regards
Tony

hifi_dave
21-06-2012, 17:48
No surcharge here..:rolleyes:

Colin fromTellurium put me onto his colleague who tried to explain that it was a fair surcharge ........fair to whom? People who didn't have to pay it as they needed a longer run?

DSJR
21-06-2012, 19:48
While you're saving up to contribute to Colin Wonfor's pension pot, may I suggest you look out for some Cable Talk Concert two-core. Finished in a dark shade of Rega green,
bass has a similarly beefy sound as TQ, but was made with proper high quality and good gauge copper and the insulation material chosen should give absolute minimum chemical reaction with the copper over time. Sounded fantastic with Rega speakers of old but the chunky green outer construction put timid Sevenoaks punters off (who were sold QED Micro instead :rolleyes:), although Deco Audio (in it's "Northwood Audio" ancestry) and Sevenoaks in Guildford sold loads of it because it worked.

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 19:59

Cheers for the info Craig.
First I've heard of any company do that...

brian2957
21-06-2012, 20:07
It's an overused term, but in this case justified, it was a night and day difference to the Mogami cable (which was recommended by the dealer as being particularly good with the RS 3's BTW) akin to changing the speakers for something better. It put the speakers on another level. Frankly I'd buy the cable before you buy the boxes.

+1

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 20:10
Gaz, have you considered spending the extra £200 on even better speakers, on top of what you'd get for yours of course, or even a better amp?

In other words, is the TQ the best upgrade for that kind of money?

Worth thinking about Lee, butI think it absolutely is the best use of £200.
Genuinely it was a "component upgrade" step up level in quality with the TQ Blackin place.

The RS3's are £800 speakers and go REALLY well with the rest of the new Rega kit.
Also I'm not sure I want to go down audiophillia nervosa route again..it just...works.

As Ali said, putting the TQ in place was the biggest improvement of the day, gob smacking in fact.

RichB
21-06-2012, 20:18
1mtr pair Rega Couple clone available - made em myself

Klotz AC110 cable with Neutrik NF2C-B/2 Profi Professional RCA Phono Plugs *** NEW STYLE ***
As New condition

£40.00 posted

Regards
Tony

PM Sent

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 20:21
While you're saving up to contribute to Colin Wonfor's pension pot, may I suggest you look out for some Cable Talk Concert two-core. Finished in a dark shade of Rega green,
bass has a similarly beefy sound as TQ, but was made with proper high quality and good gauge copper and the insulation material chosen should give absolute minimum chemical reaction with the copper over time. Sounded fantastic with Rega speakers of old but the chunky green outer construction put timid Sevenoaks punters off (who were sold QED Micro instead :rolleyes:), although Deco Audio (in it's "Northwood Audio" ancestry) and Sevenoaks in Guildford sold loads of it because it worked.

ta for the suggestion Dave, but its TQ Black for me.
Heard it my system and it WORKS.
I've faffed about with cables too much and I'm in a place hifi wise I want to fit n forget.

Who's Colin Wonfor?

RichB
21-06-2012, 20:25
£235 + £20 for a 3m pair from a certain pricey dealer round my neck of the woods... I assume the £20 must be some kind of fee for adding the terminations.

I was going to flog some other gear for the Rega project but with these cables in I'll be selling the wife too. (she's a fit and forget model, recently serviced and reasonable running costs!)

hifi_dave
21-06-2012, 20:28
Colin Wonfor is the man behind Tellurium Q products. A well respected designer and manufacturer of many, many years standing.

webby
21-06-2012, 20:55
Worth thinking about Lee, butI think it absolutely is the best use of £200.
Genuinely it was a "component upgrade" step up level in quality with the TQ Blackin place.

The RS3's are £800 speakers and go REALLY well with the rest of the new Rega kit.
Also I'm not sure I want to go down audiophillia nervosa route again..it just...works.

As Ali said, putting the TQ in place was the biggest improvement of the day, gob smacking in fact.
Fair enough Gaz. I just thought I'd add another angle, which I concede you'd probably already considered.

icehockeyboy
21-06-2012, 21:17
No surcharge here..:rolleyes:

Well that is good Dave.

I saw the £188 advertised on e bay at Analogue Seduction after the fairly local company I had mine ordered with told me of the surcharge.

I enquiries at AS and they knew nothing of this Tellurium induced surcharge, so thinking my order place would play ball after I mentioned to them that AS weren't charging the surcharge, they didn't, and what's more, they "dobbed in" AS to Tellurium who I am led to believe called them to tell them to stick the extra on!
:steam:

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 21:25
Fair enough Gaz. I just thought I'd add another angle, which I concede you'd probably already considered.

oh aye, definetely.
Honestly though this cable made some difference...

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 21:27
£235 + £20 for a 3m pair from a certain pricey dealer round my neck of the woods... I assume the £20 must be some kind of fee for adding the terminations.

I was going to flog some other gear for the Rega project but with these cables in I'll be selling the wife too. (she's a fit and forget model, recently serviced and reasonable running costs!)

Bass heavy or toppy?

(sorry - 6 of the belt for me) :)

Ali Tait
21-06-2012, 21:58
:lol:

RichB
21-06-2012, 22:08
Bass heavy or toppy?

neither, i'd say sweeter in the mids due to the unique tweeter design:lol:

Gazjam
21-06-2012, 22:15
wha hey!

icehockeyboy
22-06-2012, 09:30
As I promised in my earlier post, the reply from Mark at Kog Audio, who I
Presume are the holding company or similar for T Q.

"The Tellurium Q price list has always added a £20 surcharge to lengths under 3m, though not all dealers will have been able to make it clear on their price lists.
The surcharge is the fairest way of maximising value per metre across the wide range of lengths available"

As I said before, fair to whom? Not the poor sod who needs only 2 metres!

Ali Tait
22-06-2012, 09:41
Maximising profit more like.

icehockeyboy
22-06-2012, 09:43
Maximising profit more like.

My thoughts entirely!

RichB
23-06-2012, 15:47
Appear to have agreed a deal with Simon of 2nd Hand Hifi subject to agreeing delivery dates for the Rega kit.

Anthony, I'm still interested in that IC.

Gazjam
23-06-2012, 15:56
fantastic mate, nice one.
let us all know what you think when you get it in, heard at my gaff and it was great.

Appear to have agreed a deal with Simon of 2nd Hand Hifi subject to agreeing delivery dates for the Rega kit.

Anthony, I'm still interested in that IC.

RichB
23-06-2012, 18:29
fantastic mate, nice one.
let us all know what you think when you get it in, heard at my gaff and it was great.

Cheers Gaz, I'll be sure to let you know... I've previously been very impressed with the amp/dac combo... only the final source/transport to consider now. I've a laptop i will use for now but think a blu ray player will be added for spnning disc as well as using my techie via the phono stage.

Reffc
26-06-2012, 14:14
Hi Richard

I have one set of RFC Fidelity IO (Rega Couple exact clone) which I can offer at a clearance price of £60 delivered (new). That's £30 less than Rega Couple for the same cable and connectors.

RichB
26-06-2012, 21:27
Hi Richard

I have one set of RFC Fidelity IO (Rega Couple exact clone) which I can offer at a clearance price of £60 delivered (new). That's £30 less than Rega Couple for the same cable and connectors.

You have PM

kosa
27-06-2012, 07:19
Hi,
I have a rega dac for sale.
Are you still looking for one?
Thanks

RichB
27-06-2012, 08:05
Hi,
I have a rega dac for sale.
Are you still looking for one?
Thanks

Thanks but I've done a deal with a local dealer who is giving me a v reasonable trade in with some other gear.

Cheers