PDA

View Full Version : Here's a great cd

Yiangos
14-01-2009, 10:22
There is a tv ad over here and the tune is "fly me to the moon".I searched my lp and cd collection and found out i didn't have it,so,i began searching the web to find that particular singer (there are sides that let you hear 30 seconds of any song).I didn't find but came across a cd that had an even better version,so i bought it.To my amazement,it wasn't a jazz cd but country music and a live one.To make a long story short,it is a great cd both musically and sonically and i urge you to purchase it even if you are not fond of country music.Trust me,you won't regret it. Here's the info : "All star jam"
coming home music 6 1788 42304 2 5 shd2304:cool:

Beechwoods
15-01-2009, 08:50
This one, Yiangos?

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1573921/a/All+Star+Jam.htm

I might check it out. I've been thinking about checking out some of Kris Kristofferson's stuff. I love the song 'Me & Bobby McGee' which he wrote. At the moment I'm more into the country-rock end of things, Herb Pedersen, Linda Ronstadt, Emmylou Harris, Chris Hillman, Clarence White and the later era Byrds. If you like bluegrass check out 'Long Journey Home' by The Kentucky Colonels (one of Clarence White's bands from the early 60's) - great live bluegrass. Clarence is a legend in bluegrass guitar (and electric - he joined the Byrds in 1969 and did some amazing stuff with them, but I like his acoustic stuff just as much).

Haselsh1
15-01-2009, 09:13
Hiya, I know of a version of 'Fly me to the Moon' that has been used by lots of TV advertising and also on the 'Airport' TV programme. It is by a little known but fabulous British jazz singer called Tina May. Check her out at Amazon, she has quite a few albums to her credit.

Haselsh1
15-01-2009, 09:18
In fact, if anyone is interested in Tina's music, my personal recommendation is the album 'Time will Tell' on 33 Jazz. It is from around 1996 which is when I first saw her live. Fabulous... to look at and to listen to.

Yiangos
19-01-2009, 16:54
Hey guys !

beechwoods,on this cd you'll hear "me and Bobby..." version as you've never heard before.Makes all other versions sound lame.
Haselsh1,thanks for the tip.perhaps Tinas's version was the one i was looking the first time.I will check it out.

Filterlab
19-01-2009, 23:15
It is by a little known but fabulous British jazz singer called Tina May.

Now I always thought it was a Frank Sinatra song, funny the things that get inside one's head.

Beechwoods
20-01-2009, 06:55
I think Haselsh1 was referring to his favourite version :)

The song was actually written by Bart Howard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Howard) in 1954 :ner: :ner:

Yiangos
30-01-2009, 07:41
Okay guys,here's another great cd,actually a sacd,for classical music lovers and it's an old one. Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati pops orchestra - Tchaikovsky's 1812.
Even on a cd player,it sounds stunning ! A words of caution though.This sacd is dangerous both to your system and your health.To your system because if it is not up to it,you'll definately blow up your loudspeakers and to your health because you are in serious danger of getting hit by a flying loudspeaker driver.Yes,i know i usually like to make jokes but this time i am serious. For those of you who will eventually decide to purchase this sacd,here's how to find out the max volume you can play it. Using low volume,skip to track 2,then using your cd or sacd player's controls,skip the sacd backwards a minute or so to play the last minute of the 1812 track,where the cannons are.Ajdust the volume of your system to play those cannons to acceptable level and then play the sacd from the beginning.The reason i am telling you this,is,if you try to play this sacd right from the beginning without properly adjusting the volume,the sound is deceptivelly quiet and smooth and the choir at the beginning of the disk makes you want to turn the volume right up.By the time you reach the end of the track,it is most likely your loudspeakers will end up in smoke.

Togil
30-01-2009, 08:00
This sort of CD won't be very popular with some on this forum as it shows up the shortcomings of vinyl :)

Yiangos
30-01-2009, 08:40
You're pushing your luck Hans rotfl
btw,MBL 1531,excellent pre !

Prince of Darkness
30-01-2009, 17:59
This sort of CD won't be very popular with some on this forum as it shows up the shortcomings of vinyl :)

If you think classical music shows up vinyl's shortcomings, you must be using the wrong turntable. :lol: I find that classical shows up CD's weaknesses and to a lesser extent those of SACD and DVDA.:eyebrows: