PDA

View Full Version : Album club 19.06.2012 - Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther (2006)

aquapiranha
18-06-2012, 21:42
I have chosen to put up this album for your approval (or not), I have been a fan of Midlake for some years now and this is my favourite album of theirs.

I am not one for details but here is a copy / paste of the bands history.
Please leave a comment whether good or bad! I know people are all different so I expect there will be some who like this, and others who can’t stand it!

Thanks. Steve

http://www.midlake.net/blog/wp-content/themes/arthemia%202/images/final%20cover1.jpg

Midlake was formed in 1999 by a group of jazz students at the University of North Texas College of Music. The original lineup consisted of Tim Smith (vocals, guitars, keyboards), McKenzie Smith (drums), Paul Alexander (bass), Eric Nichelson (guitar), and Evan Jacobs (keyboards). Their initial work – under the name "The Cornbread All-Stars" — consisted of funk/jazz explorations heavily influenced by Herbie Hancock.
Later the band began to lean more toward an indie-rock sound. Tim Smith quit playing saxophone and began writing songs that were heavily influenced by bands such as Jethro Tull, Radiohead, Björk, and Grandaddy, artists who experiment, while still remaining accessible.[1]
Speaking about the band's influences, Smith commented:
"We don't want to get called a Radiohead rip-off band. I think Radiohead is a lot closer to my natural tendencies as a songwriter than a band like, um, Jethro Tull. I listen to way more Jethro Tull than I do Radiohead these days, but I could write 10 Radiohead songs before I could write one Jethro Tull song. I want to sound more like Jethro Tull, but I just can't. That's a big struggle."
—Tim Smith of Midlake[2]
In an interview with Reverb Magazine's Nick Milligan, Smith said of the band's origins:
"We were jazz musicians, but right from the get go we'd never really play jazz music. We'd play some funk stuff and then jump right into playing Led Zeppelin. For jazz musicians, rock is sort of frowned upon for how easy it is. If we had friends that knew we were playing, the best thing we could play was Herbie Hancock or Stevie Wonder. A distortion pedal seemed like a no-no. It took us a while to get away from the jazz." -Tim Smith[3]
Jacobs left the band and Eric Nichelson took over on keyboard. Jason Upshaw joined the band as a guitarist. Live recordings from this period, recorded at Denton's Panhandle House studio, were never released as the band felt they had moved beyond the material.[citation needed]
Not long before the band recorded their début EP, Milkmaid Grand Army, Upshaw was replaced on guitars by Eric Pulido, a longtime friend of drummer Smith, to form the current lineup. Their debut full-length album, 2004's Bamnan and Slivercork, was recorded at home in Denton, Texas and mastered at Abbey Road Studios. It showed a move in the direction of lo-fi psychedelic electronica, embracing influences such as Grandaddy and The Flaming Lips. The album even caught the ear of skateboarder-turned-actor Jason Lee, who produced and directed the music video for the song "Balloon Maker",[4] and who continues to support and promote the band.
In 2006, after nearly a year-and-a-half of recording and re-recording, they completed their second release for Bella Union, The Trials of Van Occupanther. The album was a venture into classic-rock revivalism, with a sound reminiscent of Bob Welch-era Fleetwood Mac. The album was met with generally positive reviews.[citation needed]
In January 2009, their song "Bandits" was featured in an episode of the FOX television drama Fringe.[5]
In February 2010 the band released The Courage of Others, which has garnered generally good reviews, notably "album of the month" in Mojo.[6]
In a 2010 interview with Reverb Magazine, Tim Smith told editor Nick Milligan:
I'm never satisfied with what we do, so when Occupanther came out I had changes I wanted to make. But what I disliked about the album is probably totally different than what other people might see as a problem. I might be totally focused on my voice. But I think we get a little better as we get older. We're listening to more music and getting more confident with who we are as musicians and as a band. It's a natural progression to get to The Courage Of Others. Although it did take a long time and that's due to my influences and falling in love with a different style of music to what we came from. -Tim Smith[3]
Smith also said in the Reverb Magazine interview that his favourite song from The Courage Of Others was 'Small Mountain':
I think my favourite is 'Small Mountain'. Though it seems that when we've played it live, it's the weakest one – people seem to not connect with it. They'd probably rather talk to their friend than listen to it, but people don't really have the album yet. Maybe in time people will start to like that song more. It was written about when I was in college and my parents lived on the top of this hill. I'd spend time up there and wait tables at my dad's restaurant. It was just a good time for me, so it was nice to have a song that I can relate to it. I like the melody also, so that's probably my favourite. -Tim Smith [3]
Of The Courage Of Others, Tim Smith also said:
The title track was written as a B-side for Van Occupanther so that was really old, and we never used it. We wanted to hold on to it for the next album. 'Children Of The Grounds' we started playing towards the end of our touring for Van Occupanther, because I'd written that around that time and we thought we'd throw it in [the set] to see how it did. But the rest of the material was written while we were recording. There was also a lot of material that was thrown away, because I realised [the ideas] weren't good enough. -Tim Smith [3]

http://open.spotify.com/album/1CKaUoDbRSMRlNLjw1ipdC

John
19-06-2012, 05:43
Cheers Steve
I am currently listening to the album and quite like it so far

Tim
19-06-2012, 07:54
Good choice Steve - seems we have almost identical taste in music. I shall look forward to playing Roscoe later, which is one of my favourite Midlake tracks :)
I think Marco is a Midlake fan too?

WAD62
19-06-2012, 09:21
Another Midlake fan here, excellent album...and yes Roscoe is a superb track, worth the cost of the album on its own...;)

I'll give it another listen before voting, not sure if I prefer 'The Courage of Others' as a an album or not.

Well worth seeing live, if you get the chance...:)

RichB
19-06-2012, 10:11
Wot no poll? Regardless I'll give it a 9...

Serious good selection though, i bought this when it came out being unfamiliar with anything they had done before or since. It was the album cover which swung the initial purchase.

My initial impressions were also that it was influenced by Radiohead and Grandaddy but I think theres more originality here, the album is lyrically clever and it just sort of keeps a nice mood. I love when the electric piano kicks in on Roscoe, Young Bride and Bandits are also highlights for me.

sparrow
19-06-2012, 10:24
I have this.....will play later in the week and leave a comment..from what I remeber it is a good album.

Bazil
19-06-2012, 12:08
This is the only album I have ever given away, it portrayed bleak grey skies and sad sheep dying of ennui :D
However we can all make mistakes and I shall try again, catch ya later :cool:

Alex_UK
19-06-2012, 12:58
Wot no poll? Regardless I'll give it a 9..

You can, now. :)

Bazil
21-06-2012, 10:49
I know this is a very popular band and album thats why I bought it, but I found it dreary and tiresome that is why I gave it away.
Listening again a couple of years later and nothing has changed in fact I found myself laughing at the tedium and drudgery of the lyrics on "We Gathered In Spring"
Sorry I just can't like this and believe me I've tried.:(

WAD62
21-06-2012, 14:47
Another Midlake fan here, excellent album...and yes Roscoe is a superb track, worth the cost of the album on its own...;)

I'll give it another listen before voting, not sure if I prefer 'The Courage of Others' as a an album or not.

Well worth seeing live, if you get the chance...:)

I'll go with 6/10, there are some highlights Roscoe, and perhaps In this Camp, but for me the rest is a little bland...I definitely prefer 'the Courage of Others' ;)

Ashmore
22-06-2012, 06:17
I think this album is a masterpiece. Enduring, subtle and intelligent. 10

The Grand Wazoo
22-06-2012, 09:53
I've listened to this a couple of times now & it's kept me fairly well entertained, though I did find it a bit unremarkable. Maybe it'll grow on me. Every now & then, I thought it was Rufus Wainwright singing, which is not necessarily a good thing in my book!
Anyway 6/10

aquapiranha
22-06-2012, 11:01
thanks for all the replies so far guys. It shows just how wide the gulf can be between musical tastes, and that is how it should be or we would end up in a very dreary place indeed. I do like the other albums from this band too and I look forward to seeing them perform live one day.

John
22-06-2012, 12:27
I given it a 6

Ashmore
22-06-2012, 15:12
I saw them a year or so ago in southend (!) Must've been a warm up gig. They were a very decent outfit, though I think in this case the album is the greater performance.

MartinT
26-06-2012, 06:14
Every now & then, I thought it was Rufus Wainwright singing, which is not necessarily a good thing in my book!

Nor mine! I'm listening to the album now, so far it's interesting without completely hooking me.

MartinT
26-06-2012, 07:41
A pleasant listen, if slightly samey by the final track. 6/10 for me.

Welder
16-08-2012, 10:50
I've got The Courage Of Others but I can't find a redbook copy of this to listen to so I've gone by spotify and UTube.

I can't find much either way to say about this album and I'm afraid the same applies to Midlake in general.
They're good enough at what they do, but what they do doesn't do it for me.

5/10

Tim
16-08-2012, 11:18
Just noticed I hadn't voted on this yet, as I have all Midlakes albums I will wait till I get home as opposed to listening on Spotify at work. Will do it tonight Steve.

Tim
16-08-2012, 21:57
Well just listened to this again, although I didn't really need to. I'm a big Midlake fan, seen them 3 times and have all their albums. Roscoe is one of my favourite songs but as an album I prefer The Courage of Others, which I feel is a more complete package and Midlake sound a lot more mature - the back end tracks of TTOVO sound a little like fillers in places.

So I'm going for 8/10 for this one ;)

Have you heard the acoustic bonus version of The Courage of Others Steve? Its really superb and possibly my favourite Midlake release.

http://www.discogs.com/Midlake-The-Courage-Of-Others/release/2621012

aquapiranha
16-08-2012, 22:33
Hi Tim. I don't think I have that so thank you for letting me know about it! I do like the courage of others very much also, but something makes van occupanther just a little bit more special for me.

Steve