PDA

View Full Version : Any interests in a Technics EPA-501H tone arm?

StanleyB
14-01-2009, 08:48
I have made it one of my resolutions for 2009 to fit my Alphason HS-100 tone arm to my turntable this year. That means that I would have to remove my legendary Technics EPA-501H and pack it away. But it would be a shame to do that when so many other people are looking to get into vinyl again. So it has crossed my mind to perhaps put the Technics up for sale.

I am trying to get some advise from folks, and perhaps any inquiries from budding vinyl users who want to put a TT system together that consists of some of the best bits ever made.

Please note that I am not offering this arm for sale to existing TT owners who already have a cracking system and just want to do a swap round or hoard the arm. It is squarely aimed at people coming in from the cold, or are finally ready to make a jump from a mediocre system to a legend that is eye catching, mouth watering, and sonically supreme.

Stan

Mike
14-01-2009, 10:13
I'd be interested Stan, I've got just the cartridge for it and the perfect 'table on the way.

:)

StanleyB
14-01-2009, 11:20
OK Mike. I shall be in touch. Have you done your research to confirm that the arm and TT would be in synergy with each other? The EPA-501H is what I would call 'unforgiving' and takes no prisoners in a mismatch.

Stan

Mike
14-01-2009, 16:08
Stan, I'll PM you and outline my 'plans' and you can let me know what you think. :)

Cheers...

Marco
14-01-2009, 17:06
This could be interesting... :eyebrows:

Mike remember that the EPA-501H was designed for high compliance cartridges, so I'd check compatability with your AT33PTG before going further.

Marco.

Mike
14-01-2009, 17:27
Checked... close enough!

Plenty of other cart's about anyway. ;)

Peter Stockwell
15-01-2009, 00:39
So what are you going to run as your TT with the 33PTG ? I should get mine soon.

KeithW
13-09-2009, 12:01
I have made it one of my resolutions for 2009 to fit my Alphason HS-100 tone arm to my turntable this year. That means that I would have to remove my legendary Technics EPA-501H and pack it away. But it would be a shame to do that when so many other people are looking to get into vinyl again. So it has crossed my mind to perhaps put the Technics up for sale.

I am trying to get some advise from folks, and perhaps any inquiries from budding vinyl users who want to put a TT system together that consists of some of the best bits ever made.

Please note that I am not offering this arm for sale to existing TT owners who already have a cracking system and just want to do a swap round or hoard the arm. It is squarely aimed at people coming in from the cold, or are finally ready to make a jump from a mediocre system to a legend that is eye catching, mouth watering, and sonically supreme.

Stan

Hello Stan,

I wish to acquiring, if still available, your Technics EPA tonearm for my Techie SP-10 based record player, which is close to completion after many months of endeavour.

Please contact me by PM with details, including asking price.

Thanks,
Keith.

DaveK
13-09-2009, 12:20

Stan

Hi Stan,
I have just acquired a SL1200 TT that I am trying to squeeze the best out of with a limited budget. I definitely fit the catetgory described in your last paragraph, so can you add me on the bottom of the list of potential receivers of your generosity - don't want to queue jump, particularly over Mike :) - I'm also a very good (well good, anyway), customer :) .
BTW did you get round to posting that record cleaning kit and/or is it stuck in that London post pile up we hear about? - not received anything yet.
Would your tonearm do my kit any favours?
Cheers,

Dave Cawley
13-09-2009, 15:36
I sold an EPA-100 for £600 last month, the 501 is even better?

Regards

Dave

DSJR
13-09-2009, 17:11
Talking cheap-n-dirty for a minute - could any of you with trade connections/tonearm collections please see if they can find the tonearm asssembly for the Technics SL150/1500. They must occasionally come up with the odd bod removing one and fitting something else to a re-manufactured mounting plate. I missed one in the US earlier this year by a month but bought the bottom cover which was undamaged unlike mine. I believe it was called an EPA 150...

Hope someone can help as noone else would want an arm such as this - the mounting plate doesn't quite fit the later techies and vice-versa....

Mike
14-09-2009, 07:32
Hi Stan,
I have just acquired a SL1200 TT that I am trying to squeeze the best out of with a limited budget. I definitely fit the catetgory described in your last paragraph, so can you add me on the bottom of the list of potential receivers of your generosity - don't want to queue jump, particularly over Mike :) - I'm also a very good (well good, anyway), customer :) .
BTW did you get round to posting that record cleaning kit and/or is it stuck in that London post pile up we hear about? - not received anything yet.
Would your tonearm do my kit any favours?
Cheers,

Dave,

It won't fit...

StanleyB
14-09-2009, 07:57
I sold an EPA-100 for £600 last month, the 501 is even better?
The EPA-100 is the one many go for, and your price is about right.
The EPA-501 is supposed to be even better, but goes for a bit less. It's main problem is its length, which was aimed at the SP10. The original Technics base for the SP10 and EPA-500 can go for £1500 or more!!! And that's without the turntable and the arm... I have only seen one once in all of 25 years.

Stan

StanleyB
14-09-2009, 08:01
Would your tonearm do my kit any favours?,

Hi Dave, the EPA-500 won't fit the 1200. The arm is almost exclusive for the SP10 and equivalent types.

I sent the parcel a while back, so I reckon it is stuck in the post. I'll dig another one up and send it by recorded delivery if you haven't received the first one by the end of the week.

Stan

DaveK
14-09-2009, 09:06
Dave,

It won't fit...

Good Morning Mike,
Don't give me that crap! - I know what you're up to - trying to reduce the competition for Stan's generosity - I'm too old a bird to be caught with that chaff - I see that you've also roped Stan in to your duplicity, from his later post - damn you both !! :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: .
Seriously though, thank you both for your kindness in enlightening me - I appreciate the consideration - hope it works out well for you Mike, good luck with it!
Stan, thanks for the update, I thought the Postal service might be the problem - no problem, I'm happy to wait. As soon as it arrives I'll let you know.
Thanks both again,
Cheers,

StanleyB
14-09-2009, 11:18
I got a gorgeous Micro Seiki MA-505 MKII spare, but it would be like feeding pearls to the swines if you fitted that to the 1200. And that's not even mentioning the bank loan you would need in order to fund the purchase:lolsign:.

Of course, if you win the lottery, you got the option of making me a bid on my Alphason HS-100. But come with a body guard to pick it up. You might get mugged for it on your way back. They are even harder to find than a honest politician.

STan

DaveK
14-09-2009, 11:36
I got a gorgeous Micro Seiki MA-505 MKII spare, but it would be like feeding pearls to the swines if you fitted that to the 1200. And that's not even mentioning the bank loan you would need in order to fund the purchase:lolsign:. Wot no discount for AoS members? :lol::lol: .

Of course, if you win the lottery, you got the option of making me a bid on my Alphason HS-100. But come with a body guard to pick it up. You might get mugged for it on your way back. They are even harder to find than a honest politician. In that case they don't exist, so I won't be bidding :lolsign:
STan

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the opportunity but I guess I'll pass - nice to be considered though :) .
Cheers,

Mike
14-09-2009, 12:43
hope it works out well for you Mike, good luck with it!

This is an old thread, Dave. I didn't buy it. ;)

StanleyB
14-09-2009, 13:20
Now sold, including the extra EPA-501M arm:).

Thanks to the gentleman in the corner for the quick and seamless transaction.

Stan

DSJR
14-09-2009, 16:56
The darned thing, is that these arms (excepting the EP 501) weren't that expensive back in the early eighties - the Micro 505 was medium priced IIRC and the HR100S was cheaper than an Ittok, but, because it was before its time, the Ittok "sounded" better on the fruitbox, which we regarded as the best deck out there at the time..

What silly "bunts" many of "us" were back then :D

StanleyB
14-09-2009, 18:44
The thing is that the MA505 MKI punches well above its original price. It even outscores the MKIII. The current price of around £500 is eye watering, and setting it up requires a bit of mechanical engineering skills, but finding the right TT to fit it on is even more daunting.