PDA

View Full Version : Solder Station bargain?

DaveK
14-06-2012, 13:57
Hi Guys,
Anyone thinking of getting a new soldering iron might be interested in this: -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-professional-lcd-solder-station-with-esd-protection-511927?ordercode=A55KJ&C=Email-Newsletter&U=12P7-1-A55KJ&T=126809&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=N79GJ&utm_campaign=12P7-1

Cheers,
Dave.

MartinT
14-06-2012, 14:45
That looks nice, Dave. I'd order one if I didn't already have an Antex temperature controlled iron.

Puffin
14-06-2012, 15:10
Dave, it looks the bus, but so did two of their other S Stations that lasted about as long as a KitKat (one was on offer at £40 as well)

DaveK
14-06-2012, 15:28
Dave, it looks the bus, but so did two of their other S Stations that lasted about as long as a KitKat (one was on offer at £40 as well)

Rob, you're not supposed to eat them, you are supposed to heat them ;) :lol:

northwest
14-06-2012, 15:52

I wouldn't have paid £40 for a KitKat!

DaveK
14-06-2012, 16:12

Explanation: -
He's a southener :lol: .

The Grand Wazoo
14-06-2012, 16:13
I bought a soldering iron from Maplin a few month ago. I took it from it's packaging last Sunday. Within 2 hours (and not constantly used during this period) it failed. Crackin' bit of kit.

Barry
14-06-2012, 16:43
A lot of Maplin products are 'Made in China', and as such, I am suspicious of their reliability.

It is always best to go for known brands, especially those used in the industry: Weller or Antex.

I have an ancient Henley Solon 25W iron, a 15W Antex, but the one I use now is a temperature controlled Weller, with the tips set for good old fashioned tin-lead solder. (None of that silver-tin solder for me thank you!)

Puffin
14-06-2012, 16:47
Explanation: -
He's a southener :lol: .

Yes, and i'm often a bit gay:lol::eyebrows:

Puffin
14-06-2012, 16:48

You would if you were a well minted and loaded southerner, like we all are.....yawn!

Do ya wanna buy my house? Oh no, of course you could'nt afford it:eek::D:lol:

DaveK
14-06-2012, 16:55
I'm sure you're right Barry but my soldering skills do not justify expensive kit (I know, I know :lol: ) so my approach is that with a 12 months guarantee I regard such purchases similar to buying a lottery ticket with a money back guarantee ;) - if it does what it should, fine, but if it don't I go and swap it - I'm sure Maplin's pricing takes into account the likeliehood of a high rate of returns.
FWIW I have found more success using one of those liquid gas powered ones, gets hot quick and easy to manipulate - also from Maplins :lol: .
Dave.

Puffin
14-06-2012, 17:47
gets hot quick and easy to manipulate:lol: .
Dave.

Oooooh are you busy tonight:eyebrows:

DaveK
14-06-2012, 18:29
You would if you were a well minted and loaded southerner, like we all are.....yawn!

Do ya wanna buy my house? Oh no, of course you could'nt afford it:eek::D:lol:

But why would anyone want to pay through the nose to buy a house darn sarf when buying in God's country get's you two for the same price? - losing out all round :ner: :lol: .

Reid Malenfant
14-06-2012, 18:42
Looks nice, but I'll stick with my Weller TCP :) Besides which I have loads of spares & new tips :D

Welder
14-06-2012, 19:11
For me at least one of the most important factors in soldering iron choice is the type of lead.
I find those stiff leads almost impossible to work with so having a decent silicon lead for me is a major plus point.

Barry
14-06-2012, 19:29
For me at least one of the most important factors in soldering iron choice is the type of lead.
I find those stiff leads almost impossible to work with so having a decent silicon lead for me is a major plus point.

Agreed. The lead on my Weller is quite flexible, but even so there are times when I will move the 'station' so as not to cause the lead to make the iron difficult to work with.

The lead on my hot air gun (used to shrink heat-shrink sleeving) was so stiff that I felt it made the gun dangerous to use. I replaced it with some nice flexible cable used on steam irons - you know, the stuff with the nice old fashioned woven cotton braid on the outside. (;))