PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Jumpers My Story

RobbieGong
13-06-2012, 20:23
Recently had some speaker jumpers made up for me - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. I have the Silver Spiral single run speaker cable and it is great. Anyway, as a result I decided that things could only get better if I removed the stock links from my beloved Mission 752 Freedoms and replaced them with the same stuf as jumpers which I did yesterday. They were made with bare wire ends by the guy I bought the speaker cable from. I've had two days listening, just to be sure and couldn't believe the effect. Basically, the music became ploddy / laboured, boogie factor gone from my system :( . Today I decided enough was enough and went back to the stock links - Well guess what, immediate return of sweet rythmic timing / A1 boogie factor, no labouring, system grooving and sounding as musical as you like :D
Ok, The ends of the jumpers were a little short on bare wire (have you ever tried strippin the abundance of strands on these things down to bare wire :eek: I know the guy who did them for me found it a complete ball ache) but I still managed to get a tight bind onto the posts, in fact my fingers proper hurt afterwards. Just wondered what you guys thought about this and why I experienced such an awful result ?? :scratch:

Macca
17-06-2012, 10:06
I've always bi-wired any speakers with 2 sets of terminals. This always gives an improvement over the brass links, the amount of immprovemet seems to depend on the speaker in qustion. With your QED jumpers I would have expected the opposite from what you experienced i.e less ploddy bass, clearer highs. Suggest you have a go at bi-wiring if you have spare cable - some say it makes no difference but there are technical reasons why it does (which go over my head) but something to do with altering the load that the amp 'sees' at it's end.

Puffin
17-06-2012, 10:59
I bought some QED SSpiral and had to reterminate the lot! A real pain in the arse. I found that the cable took a long to come on song (2.5m lengths) I am not sure if this woiuld apply to a short length as well. Strange.

icehockeyboy
20-06-2012, 16:28
Robert, I would hazard a guess that you are the only person on this forum who found the supplied links better than the ones you had made.....:rolleyes:

RobbieGong
20-06-2012, 16:45
Hi Craig, I think the fact they were pretty makeshift, (The guy who did them for me struggled with the stripping of the tiny strands) so basically there was very little of the bare wire at the ends to get a goodly amount around the binding posts. The little that I did get was binded very tight but the cables were short, tight and strained if you know what I mean. I think this just meant the signal was struggling too. My guess is if i got some of these http://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-genesis-silver-spiral-biwire-jumpers-2-pairs-p-5716.html which are done properly I would have had a far better result - One day when funds permit :) .

hifi_dave
20-06-2012, 18:39
Have your Mission terminals got a hole drilled through the shaft ? If so, you can thread the jumpers through to make a more secure termination.

RobbieGong
20-06-2012, 18:53
Hi Dave, Yeah I did that but was still a crap, stiff, strained connection due to the very limited amount of bare wire on the ends. In fact the bare wire on the ends was more a short stub with the firmness of the plastic jacket in the way / well close. Thinking about it I should have just spent the extra and got the properly done ones, a waste of £30odd quid really but to be honest we all know thats' hifi, not life and death so I just:D through it :lol:

icehockeyboy
20-06-2012, 20:31
Robert, if your main speaker cable isn't terminated, and there is a few inches spare, Just strip a couple of inches back, and thread it through the binding posts, dead easy !

RobbieGong
20-06-2012, 20:51
Robert, if your main speaker cable isn't terminated, and there is a few inches spare, Just strip a couple of inches back, and thread it through the binding posts, dead easy !

Hi Craig, 'tis terminated with qed airlocks. I'll probably go with the proper shop ready spaded jobbies as per previous link at some point but in no hurry whatsoever as system sounding lovely currently and I'm so enjoying the music it's making. I'd will do it just for curiousity though and to see :)

Actually editing now as I've remembered that I do have bare wire at the amp end but trust me there is no way I'm even gonna think about trying to strip back all those tiny (and I mean lots of tiny) strands - I'd rather put needles in my eyes (Well almost) lol

Welder
20-06-2012, 21:55
Burning off plastic wire surround with a gas powered soldering iron does a good job.

hifinutt
20-06-2012, 22:18
i spent several months trying lots of speaker jumper cables , analysis plus , vertex aq , townshend , the best for me was the chord signature but its amazing what a difference they make which is why i prefer single binding posts now , no obsessing over jumpers !

MartinT
20-06-2012, 22:53
I definitely prefer jumper cables made of the same stuff as my main cables, in preference to either bi-wire with cheaper cable or the original metal links. The main cables, terminated with 4mm plugs, go into the bass inputs and the jumpers, fitted with spades, then link to the mid-treble terminals.

Beobloke
21-06-2012, 10:18
Burning off plastic wire surround with a gas powered soldering iron does a good job.

And gives off highly toxic fumes. NOT to be recommended.:nono:

Spectral Morn
21-06-2012, 22:32
Interesting as my own results were the opposite.

I too have used Silver Spiral, in my case with a pair of Ruark Equinox's and in my case the SS links (terminated with large spades) sounded better than the original jumpers. System synergy is a weird thing at times but it is everything.

RobbieGong
22-06-2012, 10:32
Interesting as my own results were the opposite.

I too have used Silver Spiral, in my case with a pair of Ruark Equinox's and in my case the SS links (terminated with large spades) sounded better than the original jumpers. System synergy is a weird thing at times but it is everything.

Hi Neil, Yeah - I really suspect it was due to the crappy makeshift way the ends of mine were done, hence very limited bare wire on all ends, little stumps really so most defiantely not the greatest connection to the posts to say the least. The jumpers were also very short so mad tight and strained when fitted. I will look to get some 'proper' SS jumpers with spades at some point and expext a good result as the SS speaker cable in my system is great :).

hifi_dave
22-06-2012, 11:03
I can't stand this tale of woe any longer. What is the distance between the terminals and are the holes positioned to pass a length of wire through ?

PM me your address and I'll send you some jumpers made from Chord cable.

RobbieGong
22-06-2012, 12:40
I can't stand this tale of woe any longer. What is the distance between the terminals and are the holes positioned to pass a length of wire through ?

:lol: Gosh! Wasn't meaning to sound so pitiful but big thanks for your very kind offer Dave which is very much appreciated. The distance between the terminals is around 3 - 4inch approx at a guess, I'm at work - (Mission 752 Freedoms) and yes holes positioned to pass a length of wire through ? PM sent Dave .

Martinh
22-06-2012, 13:04

Hi Dave,

Ive got the same problem, but my jumpers need to be in Tellurium Black about 3 meters long ;)

:)

RobbieGong
22-06-2012, 13:10
Hi Dave,

Ive got the same problem, but my jumpers need to be in Tellurium Black about 3 meters long ;)

:lol: Nice one Martin, too funny :D or even Atlas Mavros cable :lol:

Martinh
22-06-2012, 13:16
:lol: Nice one Martin, too funny :D or even Atlas Mavros cable :lol:

Wow, just looked up that Atlas cable - is that £1000 per meter?

How can anyone justify that much?

RobbieGong
22-06-2012, 13:28
Wow, just looked up that Atlas cable - is that £1000 per meter?

How can anyone justify that much?

About £1200.00 per 2metre pair - Serious money !!. One of the guys here has some. He previously had the QED Genesis Silver Spiral which I now have due to him refering to it. He clearly has expensive taste. I only managed the SS because I got a very good deal of 2 x 5 metres for £200 which I couldn't resist. The fact he said he had the SS before upgrading to Atlas Mavros made me look up the Mavros - I nearly fell off the chair when I saw the price, I kid you not, couldn't believe it :eek: - and there's me thinking the SS was expensive for cable :lol: I've clearly a lot to learn :D

hifi_dave
22-06-2012, 14:56
Hi Dave,

Nice try but no cigar..

hifi_dave
23-06-2012, 11:49
:lol: Gosh! Wasn't meaning to sound so pitiful but big thanks for your very kind offer Dave which is very much appreciated. The distance between the terminals is around 3 - 4inch approx at a guess, I'm at work - (Mission 752 Freedoms) and yes holes positioned to pass a length of wire through ? PM sent Dave .

Now in the post.

hifi_dave
28-06-2012, 17:35
Have you received them yet Robert ?

RobbieGong
29-06-2012, 08:58
Have you received them yet Robert ?

Hey Dave, Received with massive thanks. Can only report that you are a gent for sure (which I've respectfully just expressed in the buyer / seller feedback section). Chord Odyssey as speaker jumpers are great, calmer and less edgy presentation for sure. Will one day try the Silver Spiral jumpers to match my speaker cable and for curiosity 'til then it's happy days with the Chord Odyssey jumpers you've very kindly freely provided :) - Thanks again Dave :D :thumbsup:

hifi_dave
29-06-2012, 10:02
Glad they are doing the job but they are Chord Odyssey, which I usually use for jumpers. I'm not a Kimber fan.

When you have the funds, may I suggest, you try the Silver Spiral jumpers against those you now have, before buying, just in case...

RobbieGong
29-06-2012, 10:12
Glad they are doing the job but they are Chord Odyssey, which I usually use for jumpers. I'm not a Kimber fan.

When you have the funds, may I suggest, you try the Silver Spiral jumpers against those you now have, before buying, just in case...

Nice one Dave, I've amended my post above to reflect Chord Odyssey :) and if at all possible I'll see if I can get to try the QED SS against the Odyssey before committing - All the best :)