PDA

View Full Version : Black Rhodium Twist Speaker Cable

northwest
13-06-2012, 19:47
Well, after buggering up my old speaker cables - by cutting them too short - I was looking around for replacements. I am very much in the "cable sceptics" camp and if the missus ever caught me spending <silly amount> on speaker cables, well, that would be that! She's not daft.
So when I saw David over at Mains Cables R Us was now stocking the Black Rhodium range of cables I had him send me a dozen or so metres of the Black Rhodium Twist cable. This stuff costs a very reasonable £3.50 per metre! At this price you just can't go wrong and it has some very, very strong positive reviews. So I set to and made up a new pair using some quality grey braid sleeving and adhesive shrink tubing. As this cable is directional I have made it easily identifiable as to which end is which. The two red bands indicate the positive at the speaker end and the single red band indicates the Amp positive cable.

This was the construction sequence:

http://immersible.co.uk/newcables/speaker-end-03.JPG

http://immersible.co.uk/newcables/speaker-end-02.JPG

http://immersible.co.uk/newcables/speaker-end.JPG

http://immersible.co.uk/newcables/speaker-end-04.JPG

http://immersible.co.uk/newcables/speaker-end-05.JPG

So what is the cable like?

AMAZING!

This has refined the sound coming from my speakers even further. I am hopeless at describing the actual dynamics of sound but if you are looking for a speaker cable upgrade or even looking for some alternative cables I would strongly advise you consider these. Before I installed these cables I was considering a Sub Woofer in my system. I really don't think there is a need now as the bass is much more defined. I don't think the bass is louder, just clearer - if that makes sense. And for the very modest cost, it's a no brainer, I have spent more on lunch than these cables cost!

Marco
14-06-2012, 19:56
Nice one, Graham. I'm glad that they've hit the spot. You can't beat cables which deliver high SPPV! Enjoy, matey :cool:

Marco.

northwest
14-06-2012, 21:56
Nice one, Graham. I'm glad that they've hit the spot. You can't beat cables which deliver high SPPV! Enjoy, matey :cool:

Marco.

I must say I am quite pleased with them. This timeI went for "Z-Plugs" on the ends and they do seem to be very positive when they locate. Bit of a bugger to solder until I made a little jig.

Wakefield Turntables
24-11-2012, 17:23
I have just borrowed some of this from a friend. All I can say is WOW! This cable has to be the absolute bargain of the decade. I cant believe its £3.50 a meter. I've got some of this plumbed into the valve system and I think certainly for the time being that this is going to be the speaker cable of choice. Put it like this, I currently use nordost SPM reference. This stuff matches it, easily. Has anyone else used this in there second systems?? If not I'd STRONGLY advise you give it a whirl.

MCRU
25-11-2012, 14:18
Glad you like it Andrew, I just use it bi-wired with nakamichi banana plugs on and it's superb. It doesn't look like much but boy it delivers.

Wakefield Turntables
25-11-2012, 14:23
Dave,

I was completely bowled over by what this stuff does. I would presume bare wire would be better than terminating with plugs of any description. Why add another layer of decreased conductivity :scratch: Altough what you say about using 2 braided pairs makes perfect sense. I just have a pair of 3 meter runs linked into the back of the Celestion's and they are making lovely music. :cool:

A

MCRU
25-11-2012, 14:29
Good thing for short term requirements is I bought 300 metres last week with a few ink marks on the sleeving off Back Rhodium at a reduced cost so it's £2.50 per metre until stocks run out, what a bargain!

Wakefield Turntables
25-11-2012, 14:56
Lucky sod ;)

The Black Adder
27-11-2012, 22:26
After trying numerous cables recently I am back to using the good old Belkin. Simply because the larger outlay doesn't seem to make sense in synergy terms. I may be just trying a wrong selection of cables? - But the best contender to the belkins are as follows:

1. WE NOS Cable (Very nice, very natural and well worth the money) - Rare as hens teeth. From Adrian at Audioflair who has a nice reel of the stuff.
2. Talk3 cable... (nothing to not like about this contender)

So might the twist be a good shot to try?

MCRU
27-11-2012, 22:52
After trying numerous cables recently I am back to using the good old Belkin. Simply because the larger outlay doesn't seem to make sense in synergy terms. I may be just trying a wrong selection of cables? - But the best contender to the belkins are as follows:

1. WE NOS Cable (Very nice, very natural and well worth the money) - Rare as hens teeth. From Adrian at Audioflair who has a nice reel of the stuff.
2. Talk3 cable... (nothing to not like about this contender)

So might the twist be a good shot to try?

Well it can't harm as it only costs £3.50 per metre normally or £2.50 per metre with a few marks on the sleeve which don't affect performance, rumors are it has just won hifi world speaker cable of the year.

icehockeyboy
28-11-2012, 12:07
Dave, would it need "the treatment" as done by the OP to really shine, or is it ok straight from the reel without it?

brian2957
28-11-2012, 12:36
I've just wired this cable into my system and initial impressions are very good indeed . I will post back in a couple of days when it's had some use . Very good value for money IMO.

MCRU
28-11-2012, 12:47
Dave, would it need "the treatment" as done by the OP to really shine, or is it ok straight from the reel without it?

you can put some black sleeving round it mate but works well as it is

steviej233
23-01-2013, 13:59
I brought some of this from David and i am using it for my backing speakers in my AV set up and blimey what a difference! The surround is simply superb now, no need for a sub since using TQ blue for the front end and this stuff for the back. :D

MCRU
23-01-2013, 21:15
I brought some of this from David and i am using it for my backing speakers in my AV set up and blimey what a difference! The surround is simply superb now, no need for a sub since using TQ blue for the front end and this stuff for the back. :D

Excellent stuff mate, until the end of the month it still has free termination with gold plated z-plugs (if I have time) :)

Glad you like it.

archiesdad
24-01-2013, 20:29
OP, what cable did you replace ? Tempted by some of this and might consider treating it as you did so where do you get the grey sleeving and shrink tube. Ta.

MCRU
25-01-2013, 08:58
OP, what cable did you replace ? Tempted by some of this and might consider treating it as you did so where do you get the grey sleeving and shrink tube. Ta.

grey or black sleeving I have on my site (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/braided-sleeving-for-cables/453-6mm-braided-sleeving-for-cable-dressing.html), heatshtink f.o.c

I am terminating the twist f.o.c with gold plated z-plugs till the end of the month

wee tee cee
26-01-2013, 18:29
grey or black sleeving I have on my site (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/braided-sleeving-for-cables/453-6mm-braided-sleeving-for-cable-dressing.html), heatshtink f.o.c

I am terminating the twist f.o.c with gold plated z-plugs till the end of the have tried onthWell it would be rude not to have tried it......4m pair ordered to give battle with TQ black for some sport.

Yomanze
30-01-2013, 19:33
Well it would be rude not to have tried it......4m pair ordered to give battle with TQ black for some sport.

Interesting, would enjoy reading about that.

wee tee cee
30-01-2013, 19:56
When I get them and let them settle down for a bit I will post up my findings....looking forward to having a play with them. I have blue and black tq and a couple of other cables and find in my set up black sounds by far and away the front runner.......

Wakefield Turntables
30-01-2013, 20:49
The twist cable takes no time whatsoever to burn in. It pretty much is ready to go straight out the packet. Its my main cable in my valve setup and it has replaced some nordost stuff at over £750 per meter! :eek:

wee tee cee
08-02-2013, 16:23
My cable arrived last night, pre terminated with z plugs courtesy of Dave at MCRUS. to be honest i was just getting them to play with but as Andrew said the sound very good straight out the box.
Initial impression is that they are brighter in the treble but not harsh as this is my particular bugbear.They seem very musical and focussed sound stage wise.I will give them a few hours and swap the tq black in to give an impression (my room/system/ears)
Very pleasantly surprised regardless of what they cost.

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2013, 16:49
TONY!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post some comments on how you compare them to the TQ black. I didnt bother was the TQ frenzy last year, but now am considering maybe buying something from the TQ range. It would be interesting to see if the twist fends off the TQ black. :cool:

wee tee cee
08-02-2013, 17:22
Will do Andrew. Dont want to jump to any conclusions just yet.I was early on the TQ train owning blue and black. still do....my blue bi amps on my sons system and up until now black was my mainstay. The black rhodium doesn't seem to annoy me in any area but as I said a slightly more treble prominent presentation than I am used to.

bloody good though!!!!!

brian2957
08-02-2013, 17:29
Andrew , good as the Black Rhodium Twist is ( I have a set here ) there is just no contest with the TQ Black , in my system , and to my ears . With the TQ Black there is just more of everything and it is very much my cable of choice .
Bearing in mind the TQ Black is many times the price of the Twist it's not surprising . My System is Rega BrioR to Rega EL8 speakers BTW .As ever it's ' horses for courses ' mate so it's probably best to try the TQ Black in your own system ;)

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2013, 21:30
Will do Andrew. Dont want to jump to any conclusions just yet.I was early on the TQ train owning blue and black. still do....my blue bi amps on my sons system and up until now black was my mainstay. The black rhodium doesn't seem to annoy me in any area but as I said a slightly more treble prominent presentation than I am used to.

bloody good though!!!!!

Great! Just like to hear some comments with regards what other people think of the Twist in comparison of the TQ! I think i would have to agree with you that the twist is a little treble prominent but thats not a major problem.

Andrew , good as the Black Rhodium Twist is ( I have a set here ) there is just no contest with the TQ Black , in my system , and to my ears . With the TQ Black there is just more of everything and it is very much my cable of choice .
Bearing in mind the TQ Black is many times the price of the Twist it's not surprising . My System is Rega BrioR to Rega EL8 speakers BTW .As ever it's ' horses for courses ' mate so it's probably best to try the TQ Black in your own system ;)

Fair comments mate! I just on the look out for something new for the valve setup. Its in a state of flux with potential new phonostage as well :doh: Thanks for posting on the subject ;)

brian2957
08-02-2013, 22:07
No problem Andrew . I don't know how the TQ Black will compare to the Twist in a valve set up .Tony's yer man for that . In mine I've swapped the Twist in a couple of times and always came to the same conclusion . Good luck :)

Yomanze
10-02-2013, 21:11

bloody good though!!!!!

When I very first plugged in my TQ Black after using NVA LS3 cable I noticed a reduced treble.

Interesting that the Black Rhodium cables uses silicone rubber dielectric, LFD do on their top-end cables... for much more money of course! Has any tried the power cables these seem pretty reasonably priced.

Wakefield Turntables
10-02-2013, 21:13
Interesting that the Black Rhodium cables uses silicone rubber dielectric, LFD do on their top-end cables... for much more money of course! Has any tried the power cables these seem pretty reasonably priced.

No! If they appear to be as good as the twist cable then I think BR may have a bit of a winner on their hands.

MCRU
10-02-2013, 21:45
The newest black rhodium mains leads were both described as "game changers" in hifi world, the libra and cratos, both have filtered iec plugs and use the silicone like the twist, I have been a big fan of black rhodiums cables for a few years now.

MCRU
10-02-2013, 21:48
Nice picture of the "Cratos" mains lead and here is the review (http://blackrhodium.co.uk/PDFs/reviews/HFW_Feb13_BR_Libra_Cratos.pdf)

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/BONI%20JAN%202013/UKCRATOS_zps7026a353.jpg

AlfaGTV
11-02-2013, 08:53
Is the Cratos and Libra available by the metre? You have such funny terminations in the UK.. ;)
Regards /Mike

MCRU
11-02-2013, 09:28
There you go

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/BONI%20JAN%202013/SCHUKOCRATOS_zpsddb75f2e.jpg (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/black-rhodium-mains-leads/597-black-rhodium-cratos-mains-power-cable.html)

AlfaGTV
11-02-2013, 14:35
There you go

:D
Ahh, marvellous sir! But since i'd like to tinker with these part meself, is the cabling available per meter? (And also get rid of redundant snake nests behind the kit)

Regards
//Mike

wee tee cee
11-02-2013, 18:24
Between my valves and statics the tq black is still the front runner. The black rhodium twist is good vfm and in isolation very good speaker wire. The tq stuff is exceptional cable....all about enjoying music,the cable just dissapears into the mix. I find the tq black to be very neutral sonically....

Gazjam
12-02-2013, 10:04
Yup, TQ Black for me too.
Would probably last a few system upgrades as well, its that good imo.

brian2957
12-02-2013, 11:35
Between my valves and statics the tq black is still the front runner. The black rhodium twist is good vfm and in isolation very good speaker wire. The tq stuff is exceptional cable....all about enjoying music,the cable just dissapears into the mix. I find the tq black to be very neutral sonically....

That was what I found too mate . However for £3.50 a metre it is very good speaker cable .

DSJR
12-02-2013, 12:39
If sold online it would be less than £1.75 a metre - an even bigger bargain ;)

wee tee cee
12-02-2013, 16:48
Its worth the 3.50 or dare I say it a couple of multiples of that for the performance on offer....Dave at MCRU very kindly terminated with good quality z plugs and heat shrinked the ends free of charge as he was doing an offer. I intend to give them a couple of hundred hours and see if anything changes. I could happily recommend them.The TQ BLACK is over ten times the price before termination....they held up very well indeed.

wee tee cee
12-02-2013, 16:51
glad to pay the difference if it means good quality retailers that support my hobby can flourish.......

MCRU
12-02-2013, 17:59

What you on about? :)

It is sold on-line at £3.50 per metre???

MCRU
12-02-2013, 18:00
glad to pay the difference if it means good quality retailers that support my hobby can flourish.......

here, here or should that be hear hear :lol:

Mark Grant
12-02-2013, 18:19
I am guessing that DSJR meant to say 'sold direct', hence the half price.

MCRU
12-02-2013, 19:58
I am guessing that DSJR meant to say 'sold direct', hence the half price.

it's £3.50 per metre wherever you buy it from so still no wiser dude?

Mark Grant
12-02-2013, 20:44
I think Dave (DSJR) is having a little dig at dealer margin, e.g. if it was sold direct from manufacturer to customer it would cost less but that is not how it works with black rhodium as you say the price is the same just about everywhere.

wee tee cee
12-02-2013, 21:04
Worth it......great cable.

brian2957
12-02-2013, 21:52
+1 .Great VFM .

MCRU
14-02-2013, 18:55
Just received back from the platers, gold plated z-plugs which I buy in lots of 1000, sent 500 away to be "silver plated" a very worthwhile improvement on the end of the twist I have to say.

synsei
14-02-2013, 19:51
Now I am using valve amplification in place of the Mini-T I will give the Twist a go in the system soon. Can't do it just now as I have blown the budget for this month and March also. I'll contact you in due course Dave. Not keen on taking it on spec after the fiasco with the TQ Blue so even if the Twist doesn't sound good in the main system I will probably hang onto it for the kitchen setup ;)

Xapito
11-03-2013, 17:11
Free plugs promo still going on?

MCRU
11-03-2013, 17:15
Free plugs promo still going on?

That is totally strange as whilst you were typing your message I was ordering another 1000 of the gold plated z-plugs to re-instate the offer so the answer is YES.

MCRU
11-03-2013, 17:20
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/ADS/twistdeal_zpse2523f86.jpg