PDA

View Full Version : Fostex based Mass Loaded Transmission Lines

Mammoth
13-01-2009, 17:07
Up for sale, 1 pair of Mass Loaded Transmission Lines with modified Fostex FE167E 6 1/2in full-range drivers.

The cabinets are my own design -I'm not unknown as a speaker designer under my more usual forum moniker of Scottmoose. For background information, & so you know they're a properly engineered enclousre, I designed the CarderSound range (www.cardersound.com), the Spawn series of DIY designs (www.frugal-horn.com), The Fat, Short & Small Thor cabinets for the Seas Thor kit (very positive feedback from dissatisfied owners of the original cabinet), and many more (I prefer not to think how many), both for commercial & DIY purposes.

Anyway, what we have here are a pair of MLTLs with FE167Es, designed using my own methods / routines, then modelled and tweaked in Martin King's legendary MathCAD software (I actually helped beta test the last revisions). The 167 is one of Fostex's nicest units -it's quite smooth, and in these MLTLs, it's good for 40Hz. The drivers have been tweaked with a one-off set of Planet10 phase-plugs, and have had damping paint strategically added to the frame & basket. The rear of the cone has also been lightly stiffened. These cabinets are a narrow baffle design -as narrow as they physically can be, to ensure the best possible imaging. Material is baltic birch ply, with a doubled front baffle and pine edges, French-polished, then waxed. They were built by my friend Ed, who is one of the best cabinet-makers I know, and who has written several articles on speakers he has built for Hifi World. Dimensions are 47in x 8.25in x 14in (HxWxD). The only reason I'm selling them is that I've just inherited a large piece of furniture, and unfortunately, they no longer fit. :^(

They're primarily intended for acoustic music, but they'll handle a bit of rock, no problem at all. I'm listening to Peter Gabriel's live Secret World album at the moment actually. As for amplifiers, they're forgiving -anything over about 3wpc & you'll be fine as they're 94db 1m/1w. SETs, SS of different types, you name it. I vary between a First Watt F2 current source amp & a Rotel integrated at present; they're pictured below at an audio meet powered by a mate's GM70 monoblocks. The drivers have roughly 800 hours on them and are now fully run-in (these banana-fibre / pulp cones take an age to reach their best), and have been treated with the care they deserve.

Looking for £300ono -probably easiest if you contact me via my frugal-horn address which is scottmoose at frugal-horn dot com

Cheers for now
Scott

bonneville
14-01-2009, 22:31
Hi Scott

I am interested in your speakers,would a bid of £250 be enough to tempt you to sell I am at the other end of the M62 from you in Merseyside .could you send your postcode so I can check the distance.

Cheers

Bonneville
Vinnie

Mammoth
15-01-2009, 10:45
Sold. Cheers guys.