PDA

View Full Version : The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Barry
12-06-2012, 00:33
Today has been a bit of all three -

The Good

Well my venerable but reliable Rover breezed through its MOT, and the service bill was about what I expected.

Film Four screened ‘Predator’ tonight: one of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s more intelligent films.

My water company had the consideration to report back to me on the progress they were making on repairing a burst water main.

Cracked open a 2005 Médoc: a bottle of Château l’Argenteyre, to accompany tonight’s meal.

The Bad

Woke up to find I had no running water.

It took me three attempts to get to speak to a human being, so as to report the lack of water supply.

The burst main has not yet been fully repaired, so we have reduced water pressure.

It’s been peeing with rain all day today.

I should have cut the grass yesterday, when it was dry.

The forecast is it it’s going to rain for the rest of June!

The Ugly

That’s how my front lawn will look unless I can cut it. Give it another week and it will look like a meadow – grass ankle high!

MartinT
12-06-2012, 08:01
That’s how my front lawn will look unless I can cut it. Give it another week and it will look like a meadow – grass ankle high!

My rear garden already does! And two panels of my fence blew down :steam:

StanleyB
12-06-2012, 08:19
The Bad

The burst main has not yet been fully repaired, so we have reduced water pressure.

:scratch:. I was under the impressing that rain is water.

Marco
12-06-2012, 10:06
Lol, Barry, sorry to hear of your woes. I'm sure you'll get things sorted soon! :)

Regarding cutting grass, the best plan is to keep on top of it, and not let the grass grow too much, so that it's rather like hoovering the carpet in the house. Do that, and it's not a big job. It is, however, when you don't and let it grow!

We've got a massive front garden (big enough to put a decent-sized marquee on), which apart from some flower borders, a vegetable patch, and the area taken up by the summer house, is all grass. If I let the grass grow, it's a real big job cutting it (literally hours of work), so at this time of the year, I pass over it with the petrol lawnmower once a week, and therefore the job only takes me half an hour.

So keep on top of it, mate, and you won't have a problem. A retired man of leisure, like you, should have ample time on his hands to mow the lawn once a week! ;)

Marco (off now to cut the grass, as it's lovely and sunny here).

prestonchipfryer
12-06-2012, 10:25
off now to cut the grass, as it's lovely and sunny here.

Still pissing down here! :lol::lol::lol:

Marco
12-06-2012, 10:53
The cold and rainy north, eh? :eyebrows:

Marco.

Tim
12-06-2012, 10:57
(off now to cut the grass, as it's lovely and sunny here).
Sunny in North Wales.... wtf :scratch:

Marco
12-06-2012, 12:11
Lol... Actually, where we live there is very little rainfall, and the sun shines most days. The weather is generally rather clement. It's certainly ideal for me! :)

Well, the grass is cut. Time now to pour myself a glass of wine, heat up the home-made linguine with clams, and rocket and mixed pepper salad, Del has left for me for my lunch, and enjoy it outside in the garden, in the sunshine, whilst watching the cats play! :cheers:

Marco.

Macca
12-06-2012, 12:13
Lol... Actually, where we live there is very little rainfall, and the sun shines most days. The weather is mostly very clement. It's ideal for me! :)

Marco.

This is Wrexham - the Wrexham in Wales - that your talking about, right? Not Shangri-La? :scratch:

Marco
12-06-2012, 12:15
Yes! I can tell you that there is a massive difference in the weather here compared with what I was used to up in Glasgow, where it often rained 4 days out of seven!! It was also a good 2-3 degrees cooler.

Marco.

Macca
12-06-2012, 12:20
Yes! I can tell you that there is a massive difference in the weather here compared with what I was used to up in Glasgow, where it often rained 4 days out of seven!! It was also a good 2-3 degrees cooler.

Marco.

Ah you are talking in comparison to Scotland - now I understand! :lol:

Marco
12-06-2012, 12:22
Yes, and today, it appears also in comparison with Dorset! :D

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
13-06-2012, 06:41
It's still raining here today (Wed.) Yesterday evening the sun showed itself and it was really quite pleasant. We do usually enjoy a mild climate as we are surrounded by hills and have a micro-climate where it can be 2 or 3 degrees warmer here than inland.

Marco
13-06-2012, 08:59
A little cloudy here today, but no rain. The south seems to be getting drenched at the moment... Maybe we're next?

It doesn't really bother me that much what the weather is like. I just take it as it comes :)

Hey, Barry, you've gone very quiet!!

Marco.

brian2957
13-06-2012, 15:29
Today has been a bit of all three -

The Good

Well my venerable but reliable Rover breezed through its MOT, and the service bill was about what I expected.

Film Four screened ‘Predator’ tonight: one of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s more intelligent films.

My water company had the consideration to report back to me on the progress they were making on repairing a burst water main.

Cracked open a 2005 Médoc: a bottle of Château l’Argenteyre, to accompany tonight’s meal.

The Bad

It took me three attempts to get to speak to a human being, so as to report the lack of water supply.

I should have cut the grass yesterday, when it was dry.

The forecast is it it’s going to rain for the rest of June!

The Ugly

Buy a couple of sheep Barry.They'll do the grass for free and you can talk to them all day :D

Brian.

Barry
13-06-2012, 17:45
A little cloudy here today, but no rain. The south seems to be getting drenched at the moment... Maybe we're next?

It doesn't really bother me that much what the weather is like. I just take it as it comes :)

Hey, Barry, you've gone very quiet!!

Marco.

:lol: That's because I've made the most of a 'window of opportunity' with the weather and been out gardening: cutting the grass and weeding.

It's going to rain tomorrow! :( Think I had better open up a bottle of claret for dinner tonight. (In fact I had better do that right now.)

Cheers

Marco
13-06-2012, 18:19
Hahaha... Nice one :)

If you can, always try and keep on top of cutting the grass. A wee half-hour pass, over the lawn, every week (at this time of year) works wonders at preventing a bloody nightmare job later! ;)

Marco.

realysm42
13-06-2012, 18:41
Bad - three hours of sleep followed by ten hours facilitation today; it wasn't fun.

Good - it was because of an amazing lady :D

The Ugly - me, right now no doubt.

Barry
14-06-2012, 16:14
The Good

Another fine day, it’s back to being salad and chilled white wine weather

Another delivery from Amazon, ahead of the estimated date.

The Bad

Being stuck in a dentist’s chair for an hour and a half.

Santander shares being only worth 12% of their value a year ago.

The Ugly

What some women seem to be doing to their bodies with piercings and tattoos.